• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update

Blizzard said:blizzarrow.gif

Hail War3 Players,

We’ve been following the discussions the past couple days and want to thank you for your feedback as well as your support. First off, we want to say we’re sorry to those of you who didn’t have the experience you wanted, and we’d like to share our plans for what’s coming next.

There were a few hours during launch day where we experienced server-load issues that impacted players’ ability to jump right in, but we were able to resolve those later in the day. Separate from that, we’ve seen community feedback about different aspects of Reforged that we wanted to take some time to address.

Before we go on: the team is excited that Warcraft III: Reforged is finally upon us and we’re fully committed to supporting the game for a long time to come. The next few patches and updates we’ll discuss below are just part of our ongoing plans. This game is an integral part of the Blizzard DNA, with a team that loves Warcraft III, and we’re looking forward to pouring our hearts into Reforged and the Warcraft III community for the long term.

One of the concerns with Reforged that we’ve seen are the visuals when selecting Classic Mode. We’ve identified the bug causing the colors and shading to look different from the original Warcraft III, and we’re testing a fix that will be incorporated in a larger patch addressing this issue and others. We expect to release that late this week. The patch will also address many other known issues, such as fixing some portrait animations and audio bugs, implementing some UI fixes, and more. Please keep an eye out for the patch notes for a detailed list of all the bug fixes.

Another area of concern we’re seeing is regarding online features such as leaderboards and clans, which applies to all Warcraft III players, including those who haven’t purchased Reforged. At BlizzCon we talked a lot about how the team is actively working on standing up the back-end to ensure a smooth transition to this new MMR system, much like we did with StarCraft: Remastered. As with Remastered, these and other features will be included in a major patch for Reforged, which will also address the issue for players of the original game. We’ll share release plans as work progresses in the coming weeks—please be assured that the team is hard at work on standing these features up.

There are some individual concerns we’ve seen that we’re not currently planning to address and we wanted to give the community a heads-up. As of Version 1.30 of the original game, we saw very low usage of tournaments and of the Reign of Chaos ruleset, so we removed both in mid-2019 (in Version 1.31). Eliminating the maintenance for underused elements has helped us streamline our overall support of the game and focus on areas impacting the most players. That said, we do anticipate that players who prefer Reign of Chaos will find custom games with similar rulesets, which we hope will help satisfy that concern.

Related to that, as we talked about last year at BlizzCon, we did not want the in-game cutscenes to steer too far from the original game. We went a little deeper into the thought process behind that at the show, but the main takeaway is that the campaigns tell one of the classic stories in Warcraft history, and we want to preserve the true spirit of Warcraft III and allow players to relive these unforgettable moments as they were (albeit rebuilt with new animations and the higher fidelity art).

We know this update doesn’t address all questions, but we’re committed to the development and support of this game. We hope you’ll keep an eye out for this week’s patch and future updates and let us know what you think as we continue fine-tuning things. Until then, thank you as always for your support and passion for Warcraft III. We appreciate all your feedback and will continue to keep the Warcraft III community updated on everything we’re working on.

Sincerely,

The Warcraft III: Reforged Team

Level 6
@Quilnez TOS explanation and myths
for your point number 1
number 2 things will be added in the coming weeks, the old PTR is still up btw
number 3 the only way thats gonna get fixed if people stop complaining open tickets and send in data, no data, no troubleshoot

@Boar you didnt take heed the reviewers gave in discord did you?
any ways you can use the link above as well

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 63
"Related to that, as we talked about last year at BlizzCon, we did not want the in-game cutscenes to steer too far from the original game. We went a little deeper into the thought process behind that at the show, but the main takeaway is that the campaigns tell one of the classic stories in Warcraft history, and we want to preserve the true spirit of Warcraft III and allow players to relive these unforgettable moments as they were (albeit rebuilt with new animations and the higher fidelity art)."

We advertised these awesome cinematics at blizzcon and basically promised them to you. You then pre-ordered the game expecting these to be in the game. Surprise surprise we scrapped all of that content you thought you were buying. But don't be upset, the reason we did this was to preserve the true spirit of Warcraft 3!

They pulled this same shit with Diablo 3 with the teased 3v3 Arena PvP
The game didn't even have PvP when it was released. And if I remember correctly it took YEARS for them to finally release it as some half-assed pile of trash. It was like 1 arena, free for all only, probably thrown together in 24 hours.

Again and again they lie and advertise their game to be this great thing and then release an unfinished product and go back on promised features.

Level 6
@Quilnez
unfortunately i doubt the mass will ever understand, its the same EULA as starcraft 2 and that been out for years now, the current one in wc3 is nothing new, blizzard didnt take time to explain it sc2 and there wasnt some crazy uproar over it, people will just have to learn on thier own, either by talking a local lawyer or by word of mouth
its not going to get cleaner or clearer either, since its legal mumbo jumbo
only rest i can say it blizzard didnt havent to explain for sc2 blizzard wont see reason to explain for wc3

@Boar i missed this in your first post
i would love a road map as well

@Devalut dont ask, its unhealthy for the mind

But don't be upset, the reason we did this was to preserve the true spirit of Warcraft 3!
there was also an outcry with in the forums for it to not be changed for the very reason, not nearly as big as this current blow up, but enough to influence blizzard

Level 11
So, Blizzard just expects us to sit back with our thumps up our ass and hope that they fix the issues that they've set by scaling back too far?

I know a lot of people are angry about this, and rightfully so, but I just feel more depressed about this. Especially with the EULA and how, even if they get the technically issues fixed, that EULA will be a plague on modders and have them go find greener pastures.

Level 18
They didn't address any of the issues I had. What about getting rid of the classic client and forcing people to play the Reforged version whether they bought it or not? What about the draconian EULA? Do you really expect me to believe that downgrading the animations and cinematics was due to fan feedback and not because of crunch? Why are you still advertising the game with that cinematic if it wasn't actually in the game?

Level 8
id assume both, but there was an outcry from on blizzard forums post 2018 blizzcon, enough to sway blizzard
Funny, cuz a smart move was be the option to play the "classic campaign" as the original, and the "Reforged campaign" as the one with upgrades, yet they didn't do so much? What was their decision as a *small indie company*?

Level 3
sounds like a bunch of empty promises, like those they used to tell us during pre release, blizzard word on anything has no impact or authenticity whatsoever, im glad reforged turned out like shit, i don't care how this mess looks 2 years down the line, what we got was a garbage product wich rightfully got teared appart by everybody and is now the worst rated game on metacritic history, this is a taint that will forever stay on blizzard and it servers them right for being so out of touch with their playerbase and destroying a timeless classic such as wc3

Level 5
As always, Blizzard defied expectations, deciding that doing nothing is the best course of action.

I applaud them, for their tenacity to always do the wrong thing.

Not a single word about LAN, Custom Campaigns, Cross Region play, and their stance on the "Reforged" Campaigns speaks volumes about their desire to completely fuck over the community. Bravo.

Level 17
Bring Back Warcraft 3 Classic :C

Or atleast commit into making Reforged SD graphics option complete. the fixing of how they look is only the first step. a long term goal SHOULD be to try and bring back the 3D animated backgrounds and a style of the original one for those who prefer it. and trust me. a lot of people do prefer the 3D animated old ones over the 2D animated new ones.

Hell, Reforged Reign of Chaos screen doesn't even have falling infernals. come one Blizzard, you can do better then this.

As always, Blizzard defied expectations, deciding that doing nothing is the best course of action.

I applaud them, for their tenacity to always do the wrong thing.

Not a single word about LAN, Custom Campaigns, Cross Region play, and their stance on the "Reforged" Campaigns speaks volumes about their desire to completely fuck over the community. Bravo.

Totally agree, they know these issues already so lets see what happens.

One word about LAN, it already exists, however its through custom games in offline mode. and i can't say its OUR fault for not noticing it, there should be a specific button for LAN. a visual showcase. but if you want to use LAN then there you go you use it through custom games in offline mode.

I really hope they address Cross Region play for custom games lobby. because it just sucks for me to be somewhere and my friend from another region can't play with me. we can remedy this issue but "sort of" on a very small scale when only a group of friends want to play we can all join through the same region.

There should be an option near America/EU/Asia, the 4rth option should be (Cross-Region) for those who prefer it. from the battle.net launcher.

Last edited:
Level 15
Blizzard is gone guys. Activision completed its takeover in 2018 when they kicked out the last of the founders and a bunch of senior devs and managers. Blizzard as a company no longer has the capacity or expertise to produce a good game, expecting anything more than halfassed products is just setting yourself up for a disappointment.

WarCraft III Reforged is such a disgrace, I think this might be the end of Blizzard Entertainment. At this point I see little hope for Diablo 4 or any future Blizzard title. I am sad, but not surprised. I refunded my game.

Please note that blizzard is issuing instant refunds now. I recommend everyone get one. Maybe we can force them to give us what they promised, or at least fully fix the game, but I really really doubt it.

Edit: At the minimum they have to give us the old game back. I mean holy hell, that's the very least they can do after this bad of a screw up.

Edit: How to get a refund:

Last edited:
at least they are working on some of the issues. i'm quite happy with it
You don't seem to have read blizzard's response closely enough. They're basically ignoring 70% of the issues and problems people are having.

I'll admit the campaign is still pretty enjoyable, I liked the two new prologue missions. But its not enough, even if the visuals are pretty good when the game is broken and we didn't get what we were promised. The game as it stands now would be worth about $15 if it weren't a hot buggy mess and they hadn't so severely over-promised and under-delivered.

Level 9
The biggest issue is forced downgrade but this update is not explaining when they will restore the classic client or add its features to the Refunded. Why cant they remaster the UI like they did with Sc remastered?

Level 22
I didn't buy reforged and I hadn't followed the development until I heard the news.
But I think they should've splitted the classic campaigns and reforged campaigns so people can choose which to play for different experiences.
One for nostalgia and the other for entirely new experience.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Level 10
The biggest issue is forced downgrade but this update is not explaining when they will restore the classic client [...]

They won't, with a 100% chance.

Now on topic, it is most what i expected. Fixed portraits in reforged and shading in classic are some of the bigger issues and they promised melee matchmaking to return properly. I would have wished some statements towards bringing back custom campaigns and stability improvements, but you cannot have it all.

At least we have a somewhat diffuse roadmap for the first weeks. I'm not really satisfied, but it is at least a step.

Level 9
They won't, with a 100% chance.

Now on topic, it is most what i expected. Fixed portraits in reforged and shading in classic are some of the bigger issues and they promised melee matchmaking to return properly. I would have wished some statements towards bringing back custom campaigns and stability improvements, but you cannot have it all.

At least we have a somewhat diffuse roadmap for the first weeks. I'm not really satisfied, but it is at least a step.
They are not even admitting its their fault by saying our expectations were high. If you think its a step then good for you as you are more happier than me. For me its nothing because:
Blizzard 2019: "We will do better going forward"
Blizzard 2020: "We will do better going forward"
How much do you want to bet that Blizzard will say the same thing again for their NEXT screw up?

Level 18
Level 9
because supporting 2 projects is more work and gold than 1 project, thats why classic is gone forever
If they add the missing features then I will be fine with no classic client. For example the client of sc remaster upgrades every feature of the classic game such as the 3d backgrounds and I want them to do the same with wc3. Also:
"-We didn't want to steer too far from the original game-"
"-we want to preserve the original feeling of Warcraft 3-"
By deleting the original game?

Status
Not open for further replies.