1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Lead your forces to battle in the 15th Techtree Contest. The call is yours, commander!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The reforging of the races is complete. Come see the 14th Techtree Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. It's time to choose your horse in the race - the 32nd Modeling Contest Poll is up!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Warcraft III: Reforged Developer Update

Discussion in 'Latest Updates and News' started by Mythic, Feb 4, 2020.

1. Jarrin Derrick

Jarrin Derrick

Resources:
    Resources:
    You're not wrong. I'm just happy I have at least gotten to play some WarCraft III, that's what I've wanted after all.

2. WanSaweR

WanSaweR

Resources:
    Resources:
    They said, they would release patch this week and they would release patches in the future too. So we have basically actions from their side. :) Let's hope future patches will fix major issues like bugs and adding back custom campaign feature.

3. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    They know very well that they have screwed up, but tried to twist the story to salvage some of their otherwise derelict project. A team who "love" WC3 and regard it as an "integral part of the Blizzard DNA" don't deliver a shoddy product. No one expected a pristine product from day 1, but the presence of bugs, aesthetic abuse and overall degradation of existing functionality are far from decent. Out of all the complaints online, they selectively chose to mention the least hazardous: the cinematics and the shading. The "apology" is made of fewer sentences than those two issues.

It was a lazy approach to begin with. Instead of a new game, we got a visual update. Nevertheless, we knew what we were getting into when we purchased the game, so let's pretend that's not a problem (but, also, let's acknowledge those poor modders who didn't buy the game at all, yet have to still suffer some of the same consequences). The visual update would entail higher-definition artwork and that, in itself, was already a red flag. For a vibrant community wherein artwork is shared for free amongst its members, this update impels artists to up their game, preying on our eventual need for visual consistency and fidelity. Is anyone willing to do that for free anymore? I don't know.

What triggered me the most was the updated EULA, clearly backstabbing the very community who keep the game relevant to this day. I've read the "myths" and few of the comments, but the picture is not convincing. Many projects have set out to be the next 'big thing' only to be let down by their own disinclination. My point is, don't worry, they won't solicit your map any time soon - if at all. Nevertheless, the fact that they are entitled to such appropriation is disgusting; is this how you honor your fans, without whom this update wouldn't even be a point for discussion?

The work that goes into a map, the dissemination, and the popularity it will amass, thanks to you, may be painfully slow - but, despite all that, they "unconditionally and internationally" own that - and, by work, I don't merely refer to the concrete map, but also the effort behind its success. The artwork featured in the game, may, according to the linked thread above, be licensed to the individual creator, but who cares about that, really. They will capitalize on the idea of the game (i.e. the goals, the mechanics, etc.), not the actual implementation - and there appears to be no protection from that.

They will definitely remedy some of the addressed issues, but not because of their "love" for WC3, but rather, as a result of the Metacritic defamation and the refund requests. Way to dismember your own franchise (well, partially 'your' franchise; hi, Activision, we see you). In the meantime, :peasant-popcorn:.

4. Bob

Bob

Resources:
    Resources:
    Taking a break from working on my PhD. I just wanted to login for the first time in years to spit on everyone working/damage controlling for blizzard.
    *spits*
    Now, back to my regular life.

5. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    About the custom campaigns, the way I see it, there's three or four possibilities:
    1) there's a technical issue they weren't able to resolve before launch, and it will be fixed
    2) they're planning to release paid DLCs with campaigns, so they want to prevent competition
    3a) they want to make the game completely always-online and custom campaigns stand in the way of that
    3b) they want to disincentivise any kind of modding beyond custom games on multiplayer

I'm not very hopeful it's the first one :(

6. Retria

Retria

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thank you for you insight Loktar, now I am definitely panicking because it makes sense in corporate greed context :(

But I think we can push them into custom campaigns no matter what their intent is, just look, even I had overcome my laziness and started to activelly push tem :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  7. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, reading that was just hilarious and insulting. "Don't worry, they won't try to steal your map without crediting you since you're some noname who won't ever make anything big." "And oh, if you ever do make the next dota or autochess, it doesn't matter, their TOS won't stand up in court so even if they try they can't do it."

Just the fact that they even TRY is bad enough, I don't even care whether or not they can or can't get their TOS through a court. Does anyone actually want to go to court??? Just think about it, you've made something and if Blizz wants to steal it—without even crediting you—so you have to go to court and hope for the best.

8. Jouven

Jouven

Resources:
    Resources:
    Except the campaign? everything else is multiplayer now and I think someone on reddit posted a screenshot of the game waiting for connection while playing the campaign

9. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, that's what I mean with always-online. Custom campaigns come from external sources without any oversight of the company. It seems like they want to centralize and control the flow of content to the players. If it's all delivered through b.net and you even need to be online to play singleplayer, they have a tight grip on their playerbase and they can track all activity.

10. tillinghast

tillinghast

Resources:
    Resources:
    Every game has to be a fucking live service nowadays.
    By the way, is it possible to play post-1.27 patches without blizzard agent spyware?

11. MasterBlaster

MasterBlaster

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, I've transplanted my old version of the 1.31.1 client and running it, I don't see the BlizzardAgent process in my Task Manager.

If you already have a newer version installed, try running the game directly through the .exe files:
    If not, here are the backed up 1.30.4 and 1.31.1 versions
    Patch 1.30.4 Backup Game Files
    Patch 1.31.1 Backup Files

12. Ardenaso

Ardenaso

Resources:
    Resources:
    This makes me want to create ultra offensive yet discreet and hidden custom games and add stuff like Tiannanmen Square 1989, Free Hong Kong, KuKu, Blitzchung, Chou Tzuyu, and anything else that offends the great boss of ActiBlizzard

I'm going to put this as my personal signature from now own

13. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Big Brother.

14. DrakPanda

DrakPanda

Resources:
    Resources:
    the slider changes everything back to classic apon using it (in game), SD shadows are gone becasuse those there just blobs under a unit not an actual shadow, other wise its the exact same campaign as classic terrain and all, including old strathholm

metacritic ever since controversial event way back when has meant nothing, to any game company, its a carnival side show piece at best, and your going to say 23 thousand actual reforged owners, went and actually made a metacritic account just to bomb reforged?
    i cant imagine half of hive actually being bothered to go an do so, let alone 23 thousand

3 if they wanted to prevent competition why not delete and wipe the campigns folder in your docs? its still there and any campigns you had pre reforged
    3a offline is available campiagn and custom maps (though custom maps force you into a LAN mode via bonjour) (so no cheat codes for testing/shits and giggles)
    3b theres no evidence to support this claim anywhere, yes custom campaigns are not available currently, gone forever? (no evidence to support or deny gone forever)

no evidence any where of them actually trying to do such, you took HYPOTHETICAL as FACT
    also leave that thread discussion over there, not bring details here, your voice wont be heard on the matter unless you post it over there

this happens becuase your ONLINE save is seperate from your OFFLINE save, if you begin playing online (which you do not have to, there is offline mode) it will try to connect you back before continuing at a point where data is saved to your cloud

FOR THOSE WHO OWN THE GAME now or at some point and still have your documents folder for reforged
    Documents\Warcraft III\BattleNet
    you will find a file with a ZERO this is your offline account and saves for the game
    you will aslo see a file with a multi digit number this is your online account and saves for the game

NOTE: unless you have started the campaign on SD or HD in ONLINE or OFFLINE mode, you will find NO data in their respective folders

15. Death Adder

Death Adder

Resources:
    Resources:
    Oh yeah, there's no "evidence". They just changed their EULA and you won't even be credited if they were to appropriate your map. But no... they did that because they don't want to steal the next dota, they just did it as a joke. Hilarious how delusional one can be.

It's NOT hypothetical that according to their EULA that you do not own anything related to the map you make with the world editor and it's not hypothetical that they won't even have to credit you if they were to steal your map.

16. A]mun

A]mun

Resources:
    Resources:
    If the new models had decent animation quality at least, nah i'm like giving up on this.

Time to find an alternative (there probably aren't any).

17. DrakPanda

DrakPanda

Resources:
    Resources:
    its hypothetical that they TRY, theirs no evidence of them actually ever TRYING
    read whats being said not the hypothetical thing you took as fact

do not take things i say out of context and apply them to where ever you wish unless you actually want to look like an idiot

stop acting like this EULA is something new its been in practice over 10 years now in other blizzard games

18. loktar

loktar

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I know, I was just listing the possibilities I saw, which is either a technical issue, or a conscious decision, and for the latter, I was listing possible motives.

A technical issue seems like the most likely possibility, but with all the false advertising and missing features, I don't feel like Acti-Bliz (the corporation, but definitely not the people who actually work on the game) is acting in good faith anymore, and I'm pessimistic that they will try to maximize profit at the cost of the players to a degree that will basically stifle the modding community outside of multiplayer maps.

Concerning the cloud storage of saves, that's good to know, it explains a lot to me. It might even be why there is currently no custom campaign mode, maybe they're tying it into the cloud storage and hadn't finished doing that yet.
    That still leaves the issue of poor communication though. It would have been better if they had explained some of the reasons behind missing features beforehand, or at least at launch or in the 1.32 patch notes or something. If custom campaigns are coming back, why not just disable the button and add a tooltip with "Coming soon!" or something, instead of completely removing it?

But to fair, none of this really affects me (yet), because I haven't bought Reforged and haven't patched the game. Although I was kind of excited for the updates and for Reforged, so I really want the situation to improve so I can get Reforged or update.

19. DrakPanda

DrakPanda

Resources:
    Resources:
    there alrdy a button for clans under your friends list, you can see how much good its doing

feel free to patch alot of game issue complaints and bugs are user error right now, there are many actual bugs and issues though, but cloud save issues is not one of those actual ones, (im willing to bet lots of money theres people who dont have thier drivers updated for other issues)
    also given theres a cloud save system, many people dont bother to look at the firewall permission request behind the game, given reforged is a NEW EXE file, which results in the YOU LOSE at the end of mission or seconds into a mission issue

i can personally say, drivers updated and understanding most issues and how to fix like the firewall request, have no issues playing the game, i do not vouch for graphical quality of SD or the editor (those have real issues we need patched)

20. knight26

knight26

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is the best wholesome reply: