• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 3 Reforged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
As @Anaxie wrote on the first thread, would the Exodus of the Horde or what's it called (that official custom campaign with Thrall) not make it to Reforged?

We know. They said the games can be toggled from one to another.
in those exact words?

just wish executables were seperate. Patchings going to become more frequent just like SC1 is now meaning everything custom will be broken monthly 2 seperate installs one locked entirely off from Bnet somehow is almost mandatory.

Unless you hate every single custom campaign on the Hive.

it's really an uneeded headache :( classic being playable with reforged tells you to expect weekly or frequent patching with the outlook of multiplayer ladder being the main concern.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
just wish executables were seperate. Patchings going to become more frequent just like SC1 is now meaning everything custom will be broken monthly 2 seperate installs one locked entirely off from Bnet somehow is almost mandatory.

Unless you hate every single custom campaign on the Hive.
Let's not off-topic the other thread.

Many maps are broken right now without Reforged. They will (hopefully) fix the issues and everything will work fine on the classic version. More patches won't mean breaking compatibility if they don't edit things related to that. If they add new natives and such, that means something on top not a change. We'll see.

Level 14
No, they're not doing that. They're going with it in parallel like with the first StarCraft (+Remastered).
If they would do what you wrote, I'm sure there are enough conservatives in California for an unpeaceful boycott.
Sc remastered is a IN GAME toggle
you can do it during the mission.

This is impossible with Entirely different map layouts.

Starcraft 1 is a Remaster
Warcraft 3 is a Remake The name Reforged also implies this.

Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 reboots are very different beasts.

Let's not off-topic the other thread.

Many maps are broken right now without Reforged. They will (hopefully) fix the issues and everything will work fine on the classic version. More patches won't mean breaking compatibility if they don't edit things related to that. If they add new natives and such, that means something on top not a change. We'll see.

Yes but what I mean is maps breaking is going to be a weekly rather than month - 2/3 month occurance and being Bnet integrated good luck opting OUT of updating like many people on Hive Currently do.

This should be a concern.

Reactions: pyf
Personally, on the positive light, this is a big deal. GRAPHICS! EMPOWERED WORLD EDITOR.
Inversely, the graphic also causes the whole breakup with what communities have so far.

In my opinion, this remaster is mostly to get some cash flowing from Warcraft 3 foremost. If it sold well, then the patches can keep flowing. IMO.

I'm on 6:4 right now, tilting toward positive.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1 reboots are very different beasts.
Hence why I wrote toggle between games. And yes, you'll probably have to do that in the menu and not directly ingame unless you're playing melee or something.
Yes but what I mean is maps breaking is going to be a weekly rather than month - 2/3 month occurance and being Bnet integrated good luck opting OUT of updating like many people on Hive Currently do.

This should be a concern.
Let's hope for the best first.
In my opinion, this remaster is mostly to get some cash flowing from Warcraft 3 foremost. If it sold well, then the patches can keep flowing. IMO.
Even so, I just hope they don't kill us with microtransactions for skins and stuff like with StarCraft II.

Level 16
ummm...

There was a trailer. They are done.

They just decided you don't get them in Strat 2.0

There were not in the trailers.
Everything is not yet finished.

The Nigth Elves for example. Nothing is shown yet.

Stratholme was also a DEMO mission. Pretty sure it will be different in the final release (inside the campaign).

Level 21
Best case: new functionality (e.g. inventory hotkeys), improved pathfinding, advanced vanilla editor with in-build tools for greater customization

Worst case: mostly graphic overhaul, WoW'ification with future expansions, cash-grab

i'm on the fence on this one...

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Best case: new functionality (e.g. inventory hotkeys), improved pathfinding, advanced vanilla editor with in-build tools for greater customization

Worst case: mostly graphic overhaul, WoW'ification with future expansions, cash-grab

i'm on the fence on this one...
Expansions are just fine. You can buy them or not. The only thing that kept me from WoW after all these years was and has been the monthly subscription price. That concept can die in a fire.

When Frozen Throne came out, I was mostly excited for the Phoenix. I can't wait to see what she looks like in Reforged. The Game Informer article has me feeling nostalgic AF.

I bought Reign of Chaos the same month it came out (I already had been a big fan of Tides of Darkness) and Frozen Throne maybe a week later.

If you think I'm old, step aside junior.

Level 14
Hence why I wrote toggle between games. And yes, you'll probably have to do that in the menu and not directly ingame unless you're playing melee or something.

Let's hope for the best first.

Even so, I just hope they don't kill us with microtransactions for skins and stuff like with StarCraft II.

Of course they will Micro the game.

Don't be silly

That concept can burn in oblivion.

We'll see how it goes. Can't put our judgement completely yet. 2019 is the decisive year then for us warcraft 3 fans.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Hello, I never really posted here, just lurked, but I am very exited about the remaster.
But imo it's pretty sad to see a community that's almost as old as me start to get seperated because of some disagreements about it.
So I made a crappy little mouse-drawn comic about it.
Imgur: The magic of the Internet
I'm the first guy. 100%

Do you think they could add new races and/or new campaigns (even if I doubt) in the future ?

Hello, I never really posted here, just lurked, but I am very exited about the remaster.
But imo it's pretty sad to see a community that's almost as old as me start to get seperated because of some disagreements about it.

Ahah ! Really nice Petabik ! ;)

Last edited:
Level 14
Grubby said you can play the Old campaigns when he was talking about layout and changes like mini bosses on his livestream playing reforged.

so lets hope thats exactly as it sounds.

Also watched malganis die twice and drop a Greater mana then a ring of Prot +3

so campaign random item drops? I hate RNG :(

Rui

Rui

Level 41
It's these kind of BlizzCon announcements that make sure I'll be posting here for a long long time.. haha.
I'm glad :D

Expansions are just fine. You can buy them or not. The only thing that kept me from WoW after all these years was and has been the monthly subscription price. That concept can die in a fire.
Ditto. Same reason why I never bought or played WoW.

(By the way, @Bribe, you could use this reforged version as an excuse to introduce your kid to Warcraft III ;D)

Level 12
This is a sleazy money grab. It's a visual update that costs you 30$. You can buy an actual real game for that price. No, I am not talking about about a visual improvement addition to a decade-old game I am talking about a real game. Pay real money to buy something that you probably already paid for many years ago. This is akin to modders selling a wacraft 2 styled game made using the warcraft 3 engine and charging full price for it... nah what am I saying the engine in this case is actually different.

It's funny because now they've shown that they started updating the game again I thought of buying it. I had the game bought on release but the CD got lost so I've been playing it on GameRanger for a while and thought I'd join the official club of players. Turned out I was a day too late! Warcraft 3 is now removed from the store - replaced by this... Serves me right for trying to buy their game huh? It used to be 20$ for both the WC3 and the expansion and now it's 30$. 20$ for the games 10$ just because they can fleece you.

I for one have no intention of being fleeced for nothing. If I wanted better visuals with the same stale gameplay I'd download a mod. I refuse to pay for their sleazy scheme of robbing people over a 16 year old unchanged game which was only made as big as it is by independent map-makers working for free.

Last edited:
Level 14
This is a sleazy money grab. It's a visual update that costs you 30$. You can buy an actual real game for that price. No, I am not talking about about a visual improvement addition to a decade-old game I am talking about a real game. Pay real money to buy something that you probably already paid for many years ago. This is akin to modders selling a wacraft 2 styled game made using the warcraft 3 engine and charging full price for it... nah what am I saying the engine in this case.

It's funny because now they've shown that they started updating the game again I thought of buying it. I had the game bought on release but the CD got lost so I've been playing it on GameRanger for a while and thought I'd join the official club of players. Turned out I was a day too late! Warcraft 3 is now removed from the store - replaced by this... Serves me right for trying to buy their game huh? It used to be 20$ for both the WC3 and the expansion and now it's 30$. 20$ for the games 10$ just because they can fleece you.

I for one have no intention of being fleeced for nothing. If I wanted better visuals with the same stale gameplay I'd download a mod. I refuse to pay for their sleazy scheme of robbing people over a 16 year old unchanged game which was only made as big as it is by independent map-makers working for free.

rofl not a visual update isnt even the main focus

its a remake at this point entirely different game. Go watch the stratholme level

point me to a direction where I can buy an RTS game in 2018 that will have over 60 quality playable campaign missions which most of which are going to probably be entirely redone maps.

If the campaign maps are redone from scratch entirely Wc3 Reforged is essentially 8 possibly 9 if the DO add the Demo Campaign. Completely new Warcraft Camapaigns.

Same Story Vastly different level design.

Closest Comparison is the Resident Evil 1/2 to this scenario.

Oh man the Invasion of Kalimdor and the Sylvanas missions are going to be very different.

Ahem....

A Symphony of Frost and Flame
Eternity's End The Battle for Mount Hyjal.

Arthas VS Illidan

WInner takes Icecrown. And then the Finale iconic fight between them. Now in stunning HD and Insanely detailed Maps.

Also I think Sylvanas VS Balnazzar For Capital City is going to get quite an overhaul for since Capital City is quite iconic in modern WoW.

Last edited:
Level 12
point me to a direction where I can buy an RTS game in 2018 that will have over 60 quality playable campaign missions
I'd point you to blizzard's site. Yesterday that game cost 20$ and today it costs 30$. And no, it's not the inflation that changed the price. Just dirty consumer-hostile practices all too common in the triple A gaming industry.

Level 5
What we want is a warcraftIII remastered, just something like SCR. Not this warcraftIII ref**ked. Very diappointed!
Keep the graphics a warcraft/wow style! Not Heroes of storm or DOTA2 style!
Some item/ability icon are "updated", even they are still being used in WOW! Crazy.

Level 14
I'd point you to blizzard's site. Yesterday that game cost 20$ and today it costs 30$. And no, it's not the inflation that changed the price. Just dirty consumer-hostile practices all too common in the triple A gaming industry.

Release date 2004

Thanks bub whats being made today that has the quality of a WC / SC campaign? or length.

WC3R is an entirely new set of campaigns with different maps thats a guarantee buy with no regrets for the content gained.
They wont do stratholme and leave the other maps barren by comparison.

Better yet this might just be a big enough kick to start an RTS Renaissance similar to the one Isometric CRPGS has seen in recent years.

Level 4
Quick Technical question. If I make a map in the reforged Warcraft using Custom HD models. People who have original would not techinlly be able to cross play since there is no original edition of the Custom HD Models I just made? Is that correct or not?

Thanks

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
WC3R is an entirely new set of campaigns with different maps thats a guarantee buy with no regrets for the content gained.
False. It's a hard edit, not entirely new. It's a remake in the long run but not entirely new because it's actually a reboot.
Quick Technical question. If I make a map in the reforged Warcraft using Custom HD models. People who have original would not techinlly be able to cross play since there is no original edition of the Custom HD Models I just made? Is that correct or not?
I think so. Code might break. However, classic WcIII maps would be more playable on Reforged.

Level 12
Release date 2004

Thanks bub whats being made today that has the quality of a WC / SC campaign? or length.

They wont do stratholme and leave the other maps barren by comparison.

Better yet this might just be a big enough kick to start an RTS Renaissance similar to the one Isometric CRPGS has seen in recent years.
Play the 2P campaign that you can download here on the hive. Completely new by your standards right?

You know I'd imagine I am not the only one who thinks that a new campaign actually requires a new story, new characters, new plots points and all that jazz as opposed to simply adding new unit and doodad models.

Level 14
Perfect solution would be if they didnt even try to forcefully replace Wc3 with it.......Just drop III in the title......Warcraft Reforged a reimagining of original warcraft stories and rts gameplay, they would be able to change far more......have freedom in adding new race or races and modes....and to redesign everything like crazies......and everyone is happy...
Why they felt the need to force it on us as standard and replacement.....i know it will have the option to switch back but it shouldnt affect wc3 at all... people would still make and port maps to it.......and peopel who want new Warcraft game are happy, and warcraft 3 community and all our assets are left unscaved. They could go crazy with fidelity and changes to everything....to retcon as much as they would please.......and wc3 would be as it is....free of interference, intrusion and revisions.... It doesnt need to be like George Lucas's "fixes" to Original trilogy....tho ofcourse its not of awful quality.....its just equally forced and unnessesary....

Level 2
"Existing custom maps will be playable in Reforged, and players will be able to use the new matchmaker to find partners or opponents for traditional melee and custom games."

How will this work? Does this mean the world edit will only add features and keep all existing ones? I hope they add a memory leak checker and more trigger events so I don't have to learn JASS (still got away with not knowing it :D)

Level 2
Perfect solution would be if they didnt even try to forcefully replace Wc3 with it.......Just drop III in the title......Warcraft Reforged a reimagining of original warcraft stories and rts gameplay, they would be able to change far more......have freedom in adding new race or races and modes....and to redesign everything like crazies......and everyone is happy...
Why they felt the need to force it on us as standard and replacement.....i know it will have the option to switch back but it shouldnt affect wc3 at all... people would still make and port maps to it.......and peopel who want new Warcraft game are happy, and warcraft 3 community and all our assets are left unscaved. They could go crazy with fidelity and changes to everything....to retcon as much as they would please.......and wc3 would be as it is....free of interference, intrusion and revisions.... It doesnt need to be like George Lucas's "fixes" to Original trilogy....tho ofcourse its not of awful quality.....its just equally forced and unnessesary....

This is an easy way to give everyone who wanted new players to revive WC3 just as it was--the best game ever created. Also, its way easier and smarter to just update the graphics and very minor details and resell a game that was incredibly successful and fueled primarily by the community. Thirdly, they can easily make a warcraft 4 if this is a success, so this way everyone truly wins.

Level 14
something if off with this new warcraft. i'm not quite sure what.
EVERYTHIIIIING!!! xD
But sadly it's only Warcraft III so that won't work. Besides, it's a stupid psychological factor, not worth it.
I dont really think so.....People who want Wc4/WcIV will still flock to it, same with all graphics kiddies who want shiny stuff without any further thought put to what porblem it is artisticly and to all assets we gathered over the years and just sheer integrity of the game made 17 years ago.
They need to make it into it's own thing....as with all remakes naturally it is....with no intrusion or such disrespect to original. Warcraft Reforged could get much more changed and added content, mechanics, modes.....'microtransactions' So even Activision is happy..... and Warcraft III is left intact and unscathed with no retcons, with all assets usable and fitting perfectly.

Last edited:
Level 20
I wouldn't be surprised if all the new Reforged assets were available to regular Warcraft 3 anyway (for compatibility reasons) just like how it always was with Starcraft 2 and the alternate unit skins. It was trivial to use the alternate skins in customs even if you didn't 'own' them.

As far as things go the only thing people should be worried about is if their stuff works in War3 now. And then keep it that way. As long as you maintain that it should 100% work on the Reforged version regardless of what happens because they're not going to fork the base game.

I'm between the first two panels. I'm waiting for more information. Although I'm probably going to buy it as soon as the Meat Wagon is available to WoW.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
So even Activision is happy..... and Warcraft III is left intact and unscaved with no retcons, with all assets usable and fitting perfectly.
I'm saying, at this point it's pretty much a soft Warcraft III reboot. They won't make a true remaster now that this has started. They did no change to gameplay mechanics: pathing, hex grid etc.
I wouldn't be surprised if all the new Reforged assets were available to regular Warcraft 3 anyway (for compatibility reasons) just like how it always was with Starcraft 2 and the alternate unit skins. It was trivial to use the alternate skins in customs even if you didn't 'own' them.
I doubt that. They said the old ones are available along with the new ones not the other way around, even if getting through the paywall.
As far as things go the only thing people should be worried about is if their stuff works in War3 now. And then keep it that way. As long as you maintain that it should 100% work on the Reforged version regardless of what happens because they're not going to fork the base game.
Support for the Classic Warcraft III and Reforged will continue after the release of the Reforged.
excerpt from: Warcraft III Reforged - What we know... so far.

Level 27
I still wonder why Blizzard didn't use Star 2 engine to re-make War 1/2. As a re-imagining people will give then more artistic licence given the age of these games, and they can get their retcon fetish satisfied.

Because nope Doomhammer never backstabbed Lothar, it was a very manly and HONOR!able duel that ended with Lothar backstabbed.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I still wonder why Blizzard didn't use Star 2 engine to re-make War 1/2. As a re-imagining people will give then more artistic licence given the age of these games, and they can get their retcon fetish satisfied.

Because nope Doomhammer never backstabbed Lothar, it was a very manly and HONOR!able duel that ended with Lothar backstabbed.
Hell no. Reforged is enough. I just want HD versions of those old games or just higher resolution for them. They failed to deliver that with StarCraft: Remastered. The StarEdit had higher resolution since the first StarCraft and the game didn't benefit from it. People made third party tools to come somewhat close to that but with newer patch versions those programs don't work anymore.

About Reforged... let the WoW and Heroes of the Storm rips flow!

Level 4
The art style they chose is realistic rather than keeping it cartoonie and simplified. The game looks like a smoothie mix of SC2 and HoTS. Both of which I don't like or play.

They still have a year left to make it like/look WC3. But from the looks of it, I won't buy it. It is too different from the original. I was expecting just simple reskins for models and textures if they did a remaster. Not everything redone completely.

Level 14
I will keep my stance......Drop the III in the title and make Reforged into its own Spin-off/remake thing. People who will buy it dont care about crossplay. Just make it it's own even more different thing with more races, coop modes and changed mechanics......and leave Warcraft III as it is plus few more fixes and leave as is.......
The art style they chose is realistic rather than keeping it cartoonie and simplified. The game looks like a smoothie mix of SC2 and HoTS. Both of which I don't like or play.

They still have a year left to make it like/look WC3. But from the looks of it, I won't buy it. It is too different from the original. I was expecting just simple reskins for models and textures if they did a remaster. Not everything redone completely.
They wont, they already made so many assets that they dont care for our voices.....

Level 11
I will keep my stance......Drop the III in the title and make Reforged into its own Spin-off/remake thing. People who will buy it dont care about crossplay.
No, that would be a big mistake.
People who don't buy Reforged will still be able to crossplay with Reforged players. If you don't allow them to do so, they will be quite alone - just a few of them, always the same people... it would be impossible to find an online game... Now, with crossplaying possible, it will increase the number of players, both for original game and Reforged, and it will give a new life to the game, whatever graphics you play with.
Also, having two separate games would break the community in two, that would't be right.
I have many complaints about Reforged, but let's be sensible here :)

Level 14
False. It's a hard edit, not entirely new. It's a remake in the long run but not entirely new because it's actually a reboot.

I think so. Code might break. However, classic WcIII maps would be more playable on Reforged.

levels remade from scratch to resemble to how said area actually looks.

Thats enough changes to satisfy me since I know what locations / missions are likely to have extensive overhauls that will make me squeal like a little girly.

its not really changing the story for the worse if the Sunwell is actually on an Isle and King Anasterian is actually present. which is more than likely how the fall of silvermoon is gonig to change.

wouldnt mind seeing the Icecrown finale level get some big lovin.

Last edited:
Level 14
They're not new. They are renewed. It's a different thing. It's really not semantics. It's misinterpretation.

Are the maps entirely different for the new stratholm? yes it is

Does that heavily change gameplay YUP

Are tactics and encounters entirely different because the map is YUP

is Warcraft 3 an RTS YUP

It's a completely different mission then.

the only thing thats the same is the story.
this isnt an RPG it's an RTS first and foremost. A Completely different Map is a completely different mission.

Level 14
Remains to be seen how many maps are actually recreated (from scratch) and not hard edits.

I doubt that. The core gameplay will remain, I'm quite certain of it.
yes kill 100 plagued people

Except no Purple Undead base exists. The Map is city is circular instead of a Giant L

THat changes the gameplay of the mission quite a large bit.

For instance right now on March of the Scourge I can destroy both bases. Shall we see the new map design when that comes out?

Couple buildings less and pressure is gone. Maybe instant spawns timed spawns and not gargantuan bases?

At the end most missions are destroy base X anyway.

But it's an RTS First and foremost RPG is secondary an Entirely new map is an Entirely new map. and thusly an Entirely new level as far as any RTS player should be concerned.

Last edited:
Level 2
It would be nice if some of Heroes of the Storm warcraft heroes abilities where natives in object editor on this new WE, and finaly some effect bugs corrections like carrior swarm and crushing wave effects working only on the original abilities, also incinerating from firelord. Well im hyped

Level 14
No, that would be a big mistake.
People who don't buy Reforged will still be able to crossplay with Reforged players. If you don't allow them to do so, they will be quite alone - just a few of them, always the same people... it would be impossible to find an online game... Now, with crossplaying possible, it will increase the number of players, both for original game and Reforged, and it will give a new life to the game, whatever graphics you play with.
Also, having two separate games would break the community in two, that would't be right.
I have many complaints about Reforged, but let's be sensible here :)
Trust me it wouldnt. Amount of players in Reforged will be gigantic either way since all WoW players will herd there, and people who wanted the next game too. They dont need the crossplay and it's much better to part it from Wc3. Warcraft III will stay intact with all assets made for it while Reforged can be fully retconned and expaneded with no limits, including gameplay changes. Its the best solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.