• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Shrine of Duredhel

ENTRY FOR THE 17TH MINI MAPPING CONTEST
This map was made on WCIII patch 1.27b so is intended to be used on this or newer versions.

main-header-png.364428

"The war has taken an unexpected turn. Our enemies are invading the ancient floating ruins of Duredhel, the legendary city where the War between our races began thousands of years ago. No Elf has set foot here in millennia.

While our exhausted forces battle the Dark Elves armies around the ruins of the city, the Queen Malice approaches to the Shrine of Az'lann to take possession of the evil powers that are sealed there.

If we don't stop her, the fate of our land will be doomed."

FEATURES & GAMEPLAY

- Get ready for a challenging bossfight map with plenty of action.
- A visually unique terrain. Fight your enemies in the debris of floating isles.
- Respawn system (more info about this on the map).
- Custom spells for the Heroes and the enemies.
- New damage/armor interactions.
- Although the map is designed for 2 players, it has support for single player games.

CHARACTERS

btnlightbringer-png.364700
Arivan Dawnbright - The Lightbringer
Role
: Tank / Support

A General and Superior Paladin of the High Elves Kingdom, Arivan is in charge of leading the offensive against the Twilight Army and defending the sacred ruins of Duredhel.
btnbladedancer-png.364699
Syndra Flameheart - The Bladedancer
Role
: DPS

One of the most talented Warrior Monks of the Silveredge Order, Syndra will fight fiercely to defend her land and her people from Malice and her armies.
btnwitchqueen-png.364701
Malice - The Witch Queen

The evil Queen of the Twilight Empire. She wants to claim for herself a terrible ancient power sealed in the Shrine long ago.

SCREENSHOTS

sc1-png.366117

sc2-png.366118

sc3-png.366119

sc4-png.366124

sc5-png.366121

sc6-png.366123

sc7-png.366114

Credits
Changelog

-DungeonM
-Unknown TEMP
-Daelin
-Olofmoleman
-Chriz.
-xXm0rpH3usXx
-Celestea
-Nasrudin
-aquilla
-Mc !
-reinless
-oBs3rv3r
-Xios
-sc_freak
-abriko
-JetFangInferno
-iNfraNe
-Whitehorn
-Red XIII
-HappyTauren
-Herio-san
-Illidan(evil)x
-Born2Modificate

-Tenebis
-A.R.
-Stefan.K
-Alethos
-stein123
-HerrDave
-garfield
-Ujimasa Hojo
-Mythic
-JesusHipster
-Direfury
-JetFangInferno
-Jhonny Janbo
-kellym0
-hellblazer-14
-Everlive

-67chrome
-~Nightmare
-Merry
-Darkholme
-GreyArchon
-Thunder Mare
-I3lackDeath

-Blizzard
-Scias
-~Nightmare
-Mr.Goblin
-4eNNightmare
-CRAZYRUSSIAN
-Hellx-Magnus
-kola
-kellym0

-Bribe
-Chopinski
-BPower
-Dirac
-Vexorian
-Flux
-Spellbound
-Nestharus
-Bannar
-Blade.dk
-lender
-WereElf
-Doomlord

-Blizzard

-Released.

Syndra:
-Removed Silence from Shadow Mark.
-The chance of apply a Shadow Mark has been increased from 12% to 14% and the duration from 2.5 to 5 seconds.
-Added 1 extra second on one of her dialogs in the Ending Cinematic.

Enemies:
-Malice's hit points increased from 6000 to 11000 for Multiplayer and from 4800 to 8800 for Single player.
-Kathra's hit points increased from 10000 to 17500 for Multiplayer and from 8000 to 14000 for Single player.
-Some adjustments to enemy waves coming from Teleporters. The delay time between waves has been reduced from 40 to 20 seconds. New waves will arrive when the number of enemies on that side is less than or equal to 3.

Others:
-On multiplayer games, the map was not giving victory to Player 2 after the Ending Cinematic (resulting in an error that prevents Player 2 from leaving the game). Victory is now granted to both players.

Heroes:
-Added cooldown time to the description of all active abilities for the Heroes.

Enemies:
-The adquisition range of Bosses has been increased from 900 to 2200.
-The range of spells of Bosses has been increased from 900 to 1800.
-First wave (the one that arrives at the first encounter with Malice) will come faster.
-Units from waves sometimes return to the Teleporters from where they spawned and remain idle there. Now, they will continuously patrol the area around the battle to confront the Heroes.
-The delay time between waves has been reduced from 25 to 15 seconds.

Teleporters:
-Generators are now owned by the enemies.
-Generators hit points has been increased from 10 to 15 for multiplayer and from 8 to 12 for single player.

Others:
-Some runes has been removed and others has been moved to different places.
-Some adjustments to the Intro Cinematic to make it smoother.
-Added collision to rocks in the terrain. Now they are not walkable.

Enemies:
-Fixed a new bug with enemy waves preventing them from spawning.

Others:
-The map description has been shortened because it did not show the complete text.

Enemies:
-New waves will arrive when the number of enemies on that side is less than or equal to 2.
-Adjusted the position of the spiders guarding the Generators.
-Adjusted the position of some spells for Kathra.
-The chance of Malice casting Portal has been reduced from 33% to 20%.
-The chance of Malice casting Evil Maze or Soul Discharge has been increased from 33% to 40%.

Others:
-Some minor adjustments to the Ending Cinematic.

Contents

The Shrine of Duredhel (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Syndra doesn't revive after 2-3 deaths. Consider the feedback from the judges: Mini Mapping Contest #17 - Results Approved. If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange! R U L E S Site Rules Map Submission...
Level 5
Love the description, so lovely but screenshots would be nice.

The cinematic is rough for me. Like, it can be slow or fast. For instance, the ending scene cut so fast that Syndra didn't finish her dialogue.

There are some parts of terrain are messed up, as shown below:
full
Red circles one isn't walkable while the green circle is walkable. Or I'm missing the point? I'm using v1.29.

The spells is well-made, I really love it. Making the damage of some abilities base on stats and charges is very soothing to play. So far, I have no issues with it.

When I fought Malice, all she did was attack. On my first try, she did use Frost Nova then attack. Second try, she use a stun then nothing else but attack. Same goes to the Last Boss, but the last boss didn't cast a single spell. Just attack.

I only died once on both heroes. It was easy, a bit challenging I guess.

Level 27
Love the description, so lovely but screenshots would be nice.

The cinematic is rough for me. Like, it can be slow or fast. For instance, the ending scene cut so fast that Syndra didn't finish her dialogue.

There are some parts of terrain are messed up, as shown below:
full
Red circles one isn't walkable while the green circle is walkable. Or I'm missing the point? I'm using v1.29.

The spells is well-made, I really love it. Making the damage of some abilities base on stats and charges is very soothing to play. So far, I have no issues with it.

When I fought Malice, all she did was attack. On my first try, she did use Frost Nova then attack. Second try, she use a stun then nothing else but attack. Same goes to the Last Boss, but the last boss didn't cast a single spell. Just attack.

I only died once on both heroes. It was easy, a bit challenging I guess.

Thanks for the feedback :D

-More precisely, what parts of the cinematics should be fixed?

-Those parts of the terrain are intentional. There is supposed to be a giant hole in which the spiders made their webs to make it walkable (for the enemies, and eventually the Heroes). The areas in your red circles are holes in the webs that are dangerous and not walkable.

-The bug with the Bosses was apparently caused by the Shadow Dance buff, because it silences them too many times. I fixed it by basing the ability on another :)

Map updated:

Syndra:
-Removed Silence from Shadow Mark.
-The chance of apply a Shadow Mark has been increased from 12% to 14% and the duration from 2.5 to 5 seconds.
-Added 1 extra second on one of her dialogs in the Ending Cinematic.

Enemies:
-Malice's hit points increased from 6000 to 11000 for Multiplayer and from 4800 to 8800 for Single player.
-Kathra's hit points increased from 10000 to 17500 for Multiplayer and from 8000 to 14000 for Single player.
-Some adjustments to enemy waves coming from Teleporters. The delay time between waves has been reduced from 40 to 20 econds. New waves will arrive when the number of enemies on that side is less than or equal to 3.

Others:
-On multiplayer games, the map was not giving victory to Player 2 after the Ending Cinematic (resulting in an error that prevents Player 2 from leaving the game). Victory is now granted to both players.

Also, I added some screenshots to the description.

Last edited:
Level 5
-More precisely, what parts of the cinematics should be fixed?
  • Maybe add 1 second to fade out in starting scene? It feels like it was rush. Most cinematic I saw has like delay between 1-3 seconds. Your starting scene felt like 0.5 second or less.
  • Try making both Arivan and Syndra running already before the fade out rans out in starting scene. So we don't see them standing still for a second. It would be cool.
  • There was an instant fade out/in in this scene which can be annoying sometimes:
    full
-Those parts of the terrain are intentional. There is supposed to be a giant hole in which the spiders made their webs to make it walkable (for the enemies, and eventually the Heroes). The areas in your red circles are holes in the webs that are dangerous and not walkable.
So the area in green circle is intentional as well? Kinda feels weird walking over a rock.

• The map description in the lobby cuts (Probably because of the warcraft version? Or settings?), as shown below:
    full
  • Maybe add limitation of reviving heroes? I can just die and go back. Or did I misunderstand this:
    - Respawn system.
  • Maybe add some description about the cooldown of the abilities.
  • Are runes already been placed? There's like a lot of it when you getting started.
  • Sometimes, the reinforcement units stands idle after running away from them. It would be nice if it follows where the players goes, same for the bosses. I could wait for my hit points and mana points to be full or get runes and attack the boss again, as shown below:
    full
  • Generators is owned by Neutral Passive. I need to click the generator with the attack button to destroy it which can be sometimes annoying during micro.
  • Maybe add more health to the generators. Or a unit that is casting a barrier to make generator invulnerable. I just can blink in and out without killing the guards.

Last edited:
Level 27
Maybe add limitation of reviving heroes? I can just die and go back. Or did I misunderstand this:
Well, there is a 10 second resurrection delay to prevent Heroes from instantly reviving and gaining advantages in the battle. This is explained in the Quests Panel on the map.

Map updated:

Heroes:
-Added cooldown time to the description of all active abilities for the Heroes.

Enemies:
-The adquisition range of Bosses has been increased from 900 to 2200.
-The range of spells of Bosses has been increased from 900 to 1800.
-First wave (the one that arrives at the first encounter with Malice) will come faster.
-Units from waves sometimes return to the Teleporters from where they spawned and remain idle there. Now, they will continuously patrol the area around the battle to confront the Heroes.
-The delay time between waves has been reduced from 25 to 15 seconds.

Teleporters:
-Generators are now owned by the enemies.
-Generators hit points has been increased from 10 to 15 for multiplayer and from 8 to 12 for single player.

Others:
-Some runes has been removed and others has been moved to different places.
-Some adjustmens to the Intro Cinematic to make it smoother.
-Added collision to rocks in the terrain. Now they are not walkable.

Last edited:
Level 5
So far, everything seems fine for me, except that map description, it is still cropped out but its not that obvious.

I was waiting for this to be released since your first WIP in the contest. Glad I can play it now. Can't wait for new updates.

Level 27
So far, everything seems fine for me, except that map description, it is still cropped out but its not that obvious.

I was waiting for this to be released since your first WIP in the contest. Glad I can play it now. Can't wait for new updates.

Thanks for your feedbacks :) here is a new update.

Map updated:

Enemies:
-Fixed a new bug with enemy waves preventing them from spawning.

Others:
-The map description has been shortened because it did not show the complete text.

Level 27
Map updated:

Enemies:
-New waves will arrive when the number of enemies on that side is less than or equal to 2.
-Adjusted the position of the spiders guarding the Generators.
-Adjusted the position of some spells for Kathra.
-The chance of Malice casting Portal has been reduced from 33% to 20%.
-The chance of Malice casting Evil Maze or Soul Discharge has been increased from 33% to 40%.

Others:
-Some minor adjustments to the Ending Cinematic.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Syndra doesn't revive after 2-3 deaths.

Consider the feedback from the judges: Mini Mapping Contest #17 - Results

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Shar Dundred
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/