• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini Mapping Contest #17 - Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
hive-logo-m-png.335473

p_mini-png.311514
ct_mapping-png.311496

contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
7-png.311480

thread_results-png.311519

bossfight-header-png.356665

boss-fight-png.356505

>> Download All Entries! <<

The contestants were to create one team boss fight for 2 players. The boss must have two phases, and the contestant needs to make exactly 2 classes for the 2 players. The boss fight arena must have beautiful terrain, and be as immersive as possible.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 15 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_entries-png.311509

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

ThemeHow well does the entry conform to the contest theme?/15
GameplayThe fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player? e.g. Are the spells satisfying, is there replayability? Are sounds used to good effect? Did the classes synergize?/45
AestheticsWas the boss fight arena well-made, with cool doodads, immersive weather and pleasing visuals?/25
TechnicalDoes the map run well performance-wise? Are there lots of bugs?/15
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

Desecration of the Forest:
  • The map adheres to the contest theme.
  • Two heroes were created.
  • One boss with two phases were created.
  • 15/15

• The abilities for the heroes were interesting, but some of them were risky to use (especially the fire demon's), so I omitted using a couple of them (like enraging heat).
  • The first phase of the boss fight was clearly the most fun. Stunning the boss to prevent him from dealing heavy damage to my ally, or stun him to prevent him from charging into trees to spawn ads was fun and kept me aware of what direction he was facing all the time.
  • The second phase of the fight was more chaotic, and less streamlined than the previous. All I had to do was dodge the wisps he throws and dodge the lightning beam. Keep them away from trees and kite the ads. There are way too many smaller ads in the second phase. Stun did nothing to prevent the boss from casting abilities, and no actual tactics other than dodging and kiting were needed here.
  • The titans were kind of useless. They are slow and can't outrun me, and they don't have any abilities (at least not that I saw). '
  • 30/45

• The tiles doesn't blend well (the transition between tiles is hard: screen2.png
  • The edges and terrain height variation hasn't been smoothened out: screen1.png
  • Mostly standard assets without the use of any custom models. The doodads were used sparingly, leaving the terrain very bare. Some trees and other doodads were placed, but not a lot of effort went into it.
  • The color theme and overall combination of doodads fits well, and there aren't any drastic contrasts.
  • 5/25

• The map runs well.
  • I couldn't make -swap work.
  • The crypt lord's charge ability didn't work one time it was tried. Unable to replicate bug, not an issue.
  • No other bugs were found.
  • 13/15

TOTAL = 63/100.

Fall of the Destroyer:
  • The map kind of adheres to the theme requirements.
  • One boss was created.
  • The actual boss fight however didn't feel much of a boss fight. I was running around killing ads in the map in the first phase while the boss randomly flew around.
  • Second phase was more boss fight oriented.
  • 12/15

• The beginning was immensely confusing. I'm sorry, your English is not that good, so having to make sense of a wall of text in the chat log is very confusing.
  • It didn't get better after I got into the fight.
  • Just a bunch of random enemies everywhere and neutral dragons all the while deathwing is flying around. I just followed deathwing and damaged him, and randomly killed some ads here and there.
  • In phase two deathwing just sat on the ground waiting to die.
  • The map posed absolutely no challenge since there is an invulnerability generator in the blue dragon's ley power (way, way too OP).
  • What's with the "skip phase" item?
  • The other abilities were fine, but they feel kind of without purpose since everything is a huge confusing mess.
  • 10/45

• You have some good stuff going for you with the moving lava, but the execution is lacking. I get that the red fog is supposed to create a feeling of intense warmth, but it can be a bit distracting.
  • The terrain is generally extremely bare with mostly only 2 tiles being used.
  • Instead of using blizzard cliffs you could have used a custom MiscData to raise/lower the hills and covered them in rock doodads to simulate proper cliffs.
  • The standard Warcraft 3 fires are big and doesn't look good when used in abundance. Look into using clouds, smoke and other things to make the lava look better. Lava doesn't actually burn like that.
  • Also the lava is flowing from nowhere, you should have made a source, or at least an entrance where the lava spews out from.
  • 10/25

• The shops contain 1 of each item so I had to wait for its cooldown to expire before selecting items again if my ally wanted the same item as me.
  • The camera doesn't start at the heroes, but in the middle of the fog.
  • The camera doesn't pan to my hero when I type -get out.
  • There is no shared vision.
  • 7/15

TOTAL = 39/100.

Last Bastion:
  • The contest does not adhere to all theme requirements.
  • One boss was made.
  • The boss did not have two phases.
  • 10/15

• Oh man where to begin? The heroes weren't well made or thought out at all, and were mostly default Warcraft heroes.
  • The lich didn't deal damage at all when auto attacking? Arthas had death coil and an ability called asphyxiate, but he was extremely weak.
  • The lich could summon two skeletons at an astronomical mana cost, blizzard and frost nova, all of which were kind of useless since you run out of mana really quickly and auto attacking grants you a measly 5 mana.
  • The boss could perma stun without any hope of getting out? Or at least the stun was more than long enough to trap me and damage me with its AoE attack until I died.
  • The boss only attacked and used an easily dodged AoE attack.
  • In the end I just ended up buying an ursa warrior that solo killed the boss just fine.
  • No other interesting mechanics were introduced.
  • 15/45

• The choice of doodads feels a bit random. Like the blue lava cracks.
  • The terrain is generally bare and lacks more tile variation. Poorly placed overly saturated grass: screen3.png This looks like a dead combat zone, that grass feels out of place. The tile transitions also doesn't blend well.
  • The peasants are huge compared to Arthas: screen4.png
  • The broken doodads and skeletons behind the runes feels kinda random: screen5.png
  • I like the fog above the water.
  • The cinematic was ok-ish, but Silvermoon didn't feel like a city, just some walls and some doodads loosely placed around.
  • 10/25

• Forgot to remove debug messages.
  • When one player teleported both cameras were panned to its location (god this almost made me break my keyboard in frustration).
  • The shop wasn't vulnerable so I destroyed the shop right off the bat without realizing it was a shop, because who makes a shop vulnerable? :D
  • Hotkeys weren't properly indicated and Arthas had two abilities with the hotkey 'E' (or at least the description would have you believe so).
  • 4/15

TOTAL = 39/100.

Song of Spring:
  • One boss was created.
  • The boss had two phases.
  • 15/15

• The abilities of the heroes were very interesting. They synergize well, and all of them are extremely helpful. Building a teamwork dynamic takes a bit getting used to, and you have to know each others abilities to be able to get it just right. Keeping track of spawning orbs and converting those orbs to healing or mana orbs was refreshing, and turning the winds into attacking winds was also a nice touch. The teleport ability where you linked the other player to an orb was a bit too slow in hectic situations. The teleport ability that spawns an exploding orb is simply too risky to use. It damages your ally, and your window of success is 1 second. The damage to risk ratio isn't worth it most of the time, especially considering the boss randomly enrages and shoots ice spikes so being too close to the boss is risky in itself.
  • The boss has way, way too much HP. I know the boss HP doesn't reset unless you die in the second phase/sub world, but even so it's too much.
  • The boss abilities were well thought out, but at times there is too much going on on the battlefield with 50 projectiles, an ice thing floating around and three pillars of ice moving towards you. Having to spawn and convert orbs in the midst of all that is beyond Dark Souls difficulty.
  • The second phase / sub world you're teleported to is way, way too cramped and the camera messes up for your teleporting. It's also not very clear what you're supposed to do in there. I am guessing you're supposed to bring both units into the enclosed area with the trees, where there is a song orb/note? Also I didn't really find any safe spots from the orbs that were moving back and forth. Having to avoid damage, avoid orbs, teleport each other to the right location and at the same time spawn/convert orbs in there to stay alive is a bit too much.
  • I have to admit I gave up after maybe 20 attempts.
  • The sounds were used extremely well, and the music fit perfectly. Well done!
  • 40/45

• The aesthetics are very well made.
  • Tile usage was nice with nice usage of custom tiles except for the leaf tile. The leaf tile doesn't look nice, and you can clearly see its borders.
  • Fog was used nicely in conjunction with fog doodads.
  • Personally I would have changed out the howling fjord trees.
  • The textures on some of the roots are really stretched: screen6.png
  • I like the way you decorated the world tree and the rainbow.
  • Overall it's a nice looking terrain, but I feel like you can do better. I have seen better terrain from you before, and this one isn't as good.
  • If I were to give any advice I'd say get some more rivers in there and some water (one of the animals is a beaver, no?). You have nice usage of bushes, but I still miss more foliage. Grass doodads instead of relying on the tiles for grass. Only using tiles as grass looks a bit flat imo. Cover the base of the trees and rocks in more foliage, grass, flowers and generally have more "forest clutter".
  • 18/25

• The map runs well.
  • No bugs were found.
  • 15/15

TOTAL = 88/100.

The Perilous Pass:

• Two classes were made.
  • One boss was made.
  • The boss had two phases.
  • 15/15

• There isn't much gameplay here really. You get two heroes with default abilities, and you're supposed to kill a death knight.
  • The fight poses absolutely no challenge, and you can basically just wait for your troops to kill the death knight.
  • In the second phase all you have to do is kill some tentacles and then your troops can do the rest.
  • No mechanics were implemented apart from spawning units.
  • 3/45

• The terrain was pretty bare and could use a lot more work.
  • The doodads that were used fit together color and theme wise.
  • Tile transitions aren't well done, and don't blend well.
  • The fires added a nice touch, but nothing much.
  • 7/25

• I didn't encounter any bugs.
  • The map ran well.
  • 15/15

TOTAL = 40/100.

The Shrine of Duredhei:
  • The map adheres to the theme.
  • Two heroes were made.
  • A boss was made.
  • Several phases were made.
  • 15/15

• The tank/healer abilities are a bit strange. The heal is fine, but that's the only heal I have. The melee abilities deals nearly no damage, and has very little impact on the fight. No abilities to draw aggro, as a tank? The shield that links HP is useful.
  • The tank was way too squishy and died a lot more often than the rogue. His survivability was much lower than the rogue's.
  • The rogue was fun and interesting to play. I liked her abilities, and she engaged the player a lot more than the tank. She damaged a lot and had a lot higher survivability. It was fun getting "charges" and unleashing them with her ultimate.
  • The first phase with the spawning towers is horrible. Blinking to the towers was kinda clunky since it's sometimes out of range, and the pathing (more on that later) doesn't make it easier to get into a good position to blink from.
  • There are just heaps and heaps of units so the tank is left to die (many, many times) while the rogue is killing the spawning towers.
  • In the second phase when the towers are dead there's still just too many units. You just flood the board with units which makes me die often.
  • The third phase was a bit less chaotic, and it was possible to focus on the boss without too much hassle. The third phase had a bit too much HP, and was generally boring. I could just spam my abilities and dodge an occasional flamestrike.
  • And last but not least, THE PATHING, oh my god.... The doodads were in the way constantly, preventing me from running to runes or just make me stuck between a rock and a unit, making me die because I can't reach the rune. The pathing is absolute hell.
  • I could jump right back into the fight after dying. This encourages just dying to heal your HP instead of using mana.
  • 15/45

• The aesthetics were... interesting. You have used alpha tiles quite nicely, and doodad placements were alright.
  • Your usage of tiles fit nicely, and they blend well for the most part but the transitions are quite hard some places.
  • Floating islands is a cool concept so I commend your for trying something different.
  • It is way, way too cluttered and all the webs doesn't make it better.
  • It lacks custom resources. Some nice custom tiles, and some other rocks would do it a lot of justice.
  • There should be something under the islands, like clouds or fog or similar to give your terrain more depth. You have something ncie going, but your execution is a bit lacking. It's a very good start, and you have potential to become great.
  • 15/25

• The map ran fine.
  • No bugs were found.
  • 15/15

TOTAL = 60/100.

Desecration of the Forest by Halithor
Theme 13/15 Good synergy between the heroes, from stunning the boss teleportation to stopping rampages in the first instance. Both heroes had a clearly defined role and you executed them well and they were fun to play with. Really enjoyed the "-swap" command in game, which let us see each others abilities and how to utilize them.
Gameplay 40/45 The game play itself was a bit challenging, having used both ankhs and a reset to complete. The dynamic runes around the map for regeneration were a great touch to survivability and map awareness, which also forced a bit of kiting and extra dodging. The bosses themselves had interesting abilities, and great indicators for what they were going to do, and where to stand clear of. The only complaint here is in regard to the minions sometimes getting stuck behind doodads/destructibles (trees, rocks, etc) but it didn't really make a huge difference to the overall game play. There was a definite point in which the second phase began; having two entirely different bosses was a cool idea.
Aesthetics 20/25 Beautiful setting in the heart of a forest, with appropriate enemies to find there. The detail of the terrain is impressive for having used only in-game models, and the ability to rampage through the forest with abilities added to the effect. Icons and models were well chosen, as none of them stuck out from its intended ability function. Tooltips were well written, and no typos throughout the game. Despite everything blending well, I found the Crypt Lord and Illidan to be an odd pairing for the playable heroes, but the lore didn't seem confined to "Warcraft 3" as a whole, so I won't take off for that.
Technical 14/15
The game contained no massive bugs, although I'll refer back to the occasional minion spawns getting stuck. It's scripting was well written. (Thanks for posting the source!)
Total 87/100

Fall of the Destroyer by Leods
Theme 3/15 As per the rules of this contest, "The contestants were to create one team boss fight for 2 players. The boss must have two phases, and the contestant needs to make exactly 2 classes for the 2 players." This map broke this rule by having 4 available slots, and the ability to play as the Boss.
Gameplay 10/45 To start, the locking us to an item shop region was slightly confusing as after the prompt that gave us the tip "-get out" solves the issue, it doesn't reappear. The items themselves are just standard in-game items and although most of their purposes didn't give much to gameplay, the concept of the item-decisions was cool. The game play didn't really make sense, Deathwing came out of no where after killing a few minions who couldn't fight back since we were flying. There's invulnerable towers to prevent camping it seems, but there's still places all over the map you can go where enemies cannot hit you. Deathwing mostly just flies around to each side of the map and doesn't attack in the first half, but he's very easy to just auto attack to death without the use of spells. Eventually Deathwing turns invulnerable and has tentacles to attack for him. You can't cast abilities to kill these tentacles, and it takes multiple auto-attacks to kill them, despite there being a hundred or so of them. We didn't get much further from this due to technical issues with the game.
Aesthetics 5/25 The camera was pretty rough; very hard to see anything, especially the primary enemies health bar. A heightened camera would have helped a lot. The fire liar was pretty cool, and the theme of dragons fit well with it. The enemy minions seemed more like cave dwellers, I was uncertain their connection to the primary boss. The part where the different dragon aspects giving you aid with buffs was a pretty cool addition; giving both an addition to the game play and the aesthetic.
Technical 0/15 Unfortunately, the usage of specific abilities on the Blue Dragon crashed the game for us multiple times, which is an infraction against the rules. We were unable to finish the game.
Total 18/100

Last Bastion by Chaosy
Theme 8/15 Alright, I'll start off by saying the concept was really cool, and sort of gave me an understanding of who the Blood Elf was in the campaign that they retconned. The concept of the heroes was also pretty neat, with one not really contributing auto attack damage, but rather managing the fight with spells only. The boss didn't exactly have 2 phases to fight through, (unless we're counting his mana getting high enough, which it never went higher than 20) but it wasn't exactly clear enough to me when the first and second phase started.
Gameplay 20/45 I was not super-impressed with the boss fight itself. As it were, we ventured into the final portal and entered a large area where the boss started casting meteors that we had to dodge. The first time we played, we entered in with no mana as we were testing our skills prior. We still almost beat the boss regardless, it was primarily just the Death Knight auto attacking and the occasional skeleton spawn/death pact. After he shackled us, we did not see a way to break through and the meteor killed me. After we died, our second attempt gifted us some gold. This gold was useable at a shop that had a few custom items which I enjoyed having to look through. We bought two items for health (DK) and mana (KT) which let us absolutely abolish the boss the second time around. Overall, I felt the fight itself was rather lacking, just an occasional "dodge this" and "cast that" etc. The abilities of the playable heroes were rather basic & boring, I didn't even need to read the tooltips to assume what they do on the Death Knight, and the Necromancer's abilities didn't seem a whole lot of fun to use. Necromancer was a pain to use without the Mindstaff item.
Aesthetics 16/25 Aesthetically, this map had a great cinematic which set the mood for the fight. However, this high plus was brought down by the Boss Arena being quite bland, and oversized by a long shot. We used, if even, 25% of the arena, as moving more than to evade the meteors was not important. Most of the arena was just dirt/grass, and the edges contained some scenery for the location we were in. The starting area was a fine design, although it will later attribute to a lowered score in Technical.
Technical 8/15 The game didn't contain any "breaking" bugs, but I do have a small list of things I'd like to touch on. The cinematics did lag a bit for us, even while both of us had a RTX 2080ti for this test. However, the rules state this as acceptable, so I won't deduct points for this. As for issues you have a more direct control over, the Rusty Mining Pick in the shops had a 100 gold cost, while other items only cost 1. I interpret this as a bug, as the item itself was not a "You've lost 100 times, you deserve a win" type of item. The cinematic and game had quite an abundance of typos throughout, the hotkeys for abilities were not great (not QWER/ZXCV based) and most importantly, throughout the entirety of the game from the cinematic to killing the boss, you had TONS of debug messages. There was not a point in time there was not at least one across the screen.
Total 52/100

Song of Spring by Ungoliath
Theme 15/15 I'll start off by complimenting the synergy on the heroes, it was as if every ability they had mixed together perfectly. Since this was a 2 player game, the overall theme was greatly executed as a hard team co-op. The flow of the boss/player heroes really fit the setting, as well as forced heavy communication to achieve victory.
Gameplay 45/45 Amazing boss dynamics, excellent use of spells and effects led to an overall great time playing. The sequences of the boss fight were all unexpected, I truly had no idea what to expect next, or what was going to happen when. It gets quite hectic at the end, which was the part which had us reset a few times, but after 2-3 play throughs, the game feels a bit more fluid. I am a fan of the beginning stage as you give us a chance to check out what we can do with some examples on the abilities. At first, they seemed complex, but it didn't take long to get them down pat. The reset mechanic was pretty neat, allowing us to get an item for extra health if needed.
Aesthetics 25/25 Beautiful use of seasons to progress through out the map, felt really immersive with minimal user interface. Models, icons and weather effects blended very well (almost too well*). Each area had its own unique vibe with nice intricate details, such as the autumn/summer grass patch before the final phase. Background details were also cool, such as the animated spiders, the ice pits, the surrounding forests, almost every area was packed full of neat stuff to look at. I don't have too much to say here because you nailed the concept you were going for.
Technical 14/15 I almost experienced no issues, minus the fact (*)the wisps color was slightly hard to see in some instances, like the final phase ice glow being too bright. Thankfully we could read the type of wisp it was, so it was not impossible to manage. The rest of the map seemed to be bug free and lag-less.
Total 99/100

The Perilous Pass by Symphoneum
Theme 7/15 The theme matched the requirements, however, I feel there was a lack of hero synergy to feel like it's a true team fight. For instance, the Mana Siphon ability didn't let you send mana to allies, making the ranger a less than ideal support.
Gameplay 20/45 To be honest, this game plays like a slightly controllable cinematic. Due to the massive unit support you get, there's really no way to lose this game; my presence was not required for the win. The tentacles optional quest on the side was not at all relevant to winning, though perhaps it would have gone by a bit faster if we completed that part. Eventually, all of our priests and front line swordsmen with defend on found their way to the top ramp where they blocked a majority of the units from coming through and survived the duration of the fight. This just left Yogg rather open to be slowly killed by a massive amount of archers and the occasional hero spell. The boss had a massive HP pool, and lowering it didn't really seem to change anything other than that.
Aesthetics 10/25 The aesthetics of the map were pretty nice, it kept an in-line concept of a frozen tundra theme, with matching enemy types for mobs. The spells were sort of generic being base game abilities with icons to match.
Technical 12/15 Because this is a mostly standard map, it's difficult to have any major game breaking bugs.
Total 49/100

The Shrine of Duredhel by Riki
Theme 12/15 Unique theme, interesting hero concepts, synergy enabling abilities and 2 boss instances.
Gameplay 15/45 The gameplay for this game was rather lack luster, and quite infuriating. To start, we were greeted with so many monsters that all pathing was disabled outside of the portal zone. Only with the use of the Rogues teleportation ability could we get anywhere, if we didn't die instantly. This map took me over 50 attempts to come close to beating. The sheer number of enemies at spawn that instantly nuked the tank hero made me restart the actual game multiple times thinking it was bugged. Eventually, we were able to make it to the spawners and destroy them after about 10 tries of shielding and teleporting. This was also extra difficult because of the pathing, but once we destroyed the spawners it only took a few more numerous times to clear the map and eventually just get it down to the boss. The tank hero really didn't contribute much to anything, other than the shield ability for the rogue to do her thing. In addition to the massive amount of units surrounding us, they were equip with stun/snare to further aggravate the problem of not being able to accomplish anything.
Aesthetics 17/25 Aesthetically, the map lay out was pretty with the alpha tile and sky box being the main reason. The land terrain was neat with its spider-themed haven, such as the cobwebs all over the place. I'm going to take off more points here cause the terrain and pathing map did not align, making me not be able to walk where I thought I could.
Technical 10/15 Aside from pathing, the rest of the map operated as it was supposed to.
Total 54/100

mm17-results-table-png.367695

mm17-1st-png.366722
mm17-2nd-png.366723

mm17-3rd-png.367675

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Contest | Poll

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback and congrats to the winners!

Also, I’m really sorry if you didn’t kill the tentacles, that must have been a slog. If you kill all the tentacles it kicks his health down to 10 or 20% and the outer ring despawns the spawn points, making it a fast fight. It was really intended to serve as a surprise phase of the original boss.

Last edited:
Level 21
This was a great contest with fantastic entries! A huge congrats to all participants :)

Thanks for jumping in as judges, and of course for the great feedback, @FeelsGoodMan and @Mayday! I figured that the main issue would revolve around balance, so I'll have to see what I can do on that front. Seeing as some have been able to beat the map, I don't think I'll change things too much. Rather, I'll see if I can make things more readable and more fluid (like the speed of the Link spell). I'll also have to look over the dream phase (1,5) to see if things can be further improved. You wouldn't happen to have any screenshots of this phase @FeelsGoodMan - so that I can see what kinds of camera issues you experienced?

You wouldn't happen to have any screenshots of this phase @FeelsGoodMan - so that I can see what kinds of camera issues you experienced?
It was mostly the otter when I had to teleport to orbs that were in the top of the screen, accidentally pressing the menu buttons and such. It was better for the beaver since I didn't have to send orbs anywhere and click them.

Level 11
Congratulations to all participants, sorry if my entry was confussing, i just tryed to implement way too many things into it, i guess they were fine in my head
About the blue dragon crush, that's very weird, it never happened to me while using it. Also, the map should only allow to play with the first two players, still not find why that doesn't work.
The adds where all important races of the Twilight hammer, but maybe they didn't fitted well with the terrain :)
I guess i should have maked the IA of Deathwing a little bit more aggresive, i just wanted it to move so you can take aggro from adds, and not just ignore them, but i thought it would counterattack players (it did for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.