• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mini Mapping Contest #17 - Boss Fight (Any Patch)

Which patch should be required?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
hive-logo-m-png.335473

p_mini-png.311514
ct_mapping-png.311496

contest-png.311487
p_hash-png.311483
1-png.311474
7-png.311480

bossfight-header-png.356665

boss-fight-png.356505

The contestants must create one team boss fight for 2 players. The boss must have two phases, and the contestant needs to make exactly 2 classes for the 2 players. The boss fight arena must have beautiful terrain, and be as immersive as possible.

other_rules_and_conditions-png.311513

• All submissions and all resources contained within the map must adhere to all of Hiveworkshop's rules.
  • You cannot start working on your submission before the contest has officially started.
  • You must post at least 3 Work-in-Progress media (images/videos) that clearly show your progress.
  • You must state in your bundle's description whether your map is designed for SD or HD. If the game version is not current, it must be stated.

Mini Mapping 17 Section.png
  • There must be a respawn system in place so you don't have to restart the map if you die.
  • You may not use a map template or open source map from the map section.
  • Your map must be; Bug-free with absolutely NO game breaking bugs, lag free on up to date gaming computers(slight lag is acceptable in cinematics), periodic timers and other high frequency triggers must be leak free. Icons, models and textures must be properly imported and optimized for Warcraft 3 (No green icons or wow models with messed up animations etc).
  • The submission must be unprotected so that it's openable via the normal WorldEditor.
  • Teamwork - physically working on someone else's entry - is not allowed.
    • Feedback and testing aren't considered teamwork and are welcome.
  • Judges may not participate.

Breaking any of these rules may lead to punishment in the judgement score, up to disqualification from the contest, depending on the weight of the issue. In case of doubts towards a certain rule, you are very encouraged to discuss it in the contest thread so others and judges may help with sorting it out.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 55 reputation points
  • 2nd place: 40 reputation points
  • 3rd place: 25 reputation points
  • Entry: 15 reputation points
  • Judge: 15 reputation points per entry
The three winners will receive an award icon, representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

ThemeHow well does the entry conform to the contest theme?/15
GameplayThe fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player? e.g. Are the spells satisfying, is there replayability? Are sounds used to good effect? Did the classes synergize?/45
AestheticsWas the boss fight arena well-made, with cool doodads, immersive weather and pleasing visuals?/25
TechnicalDoes the map run well performance-wise? Are there lots of bugs?/15
/100

• Judgement: 70%
  • Poll: 30%
FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

other_dates_and_deadline-png.311507

The contest shall begin on 10th August 2020 and conclude on 20th October 2020 GMT (day is included).

Assigned Staff: @Mythic

Previous Contest | Poll | Results

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
If you're interested, just write it down here. I'll create the participants table soon...

Edited by @Mythic

other_entries-png.311509

ContestantProgressEntries
gusanomental1 | 2 | 3Name
Symphoneum1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6The Perilous Pass
Riki1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6The Shrine of Duredhel
Leods1 | 2 | 3Fall of the Destroyer
Daffa1 | 2 | 3A Broken Shadowspire
Ungoliath1 | 2 | 3 | 4Song of Spring
Halithor1 | 2 | 3Desecration of the Forest
Chaosy1 | 2 | 3Last Bastion
Sclammerz1 | 2 | 3 Name
Name1 | 2 | 3Name
Name1 | 2 | 3Name
Name1 | 2 | 3Name

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks nice, I'll probably participate, but I think you should add these as the contest judging criteria;

• Boss fight mechanics. Were the boss fight mechanics incorporated well? Was the boss fight interesting? Did you have to think, and cooperate to beat the boss or could you just auto attack it to death?
  • Synergizing classes. Did the 3 classes synergize well? Were the spells well thought out, and fitting in the boss fight, or did it just seem like 3 classes were randomly made with some weird, random spells?
  • Terrain and boss fight arena. Was the boss fight arena well made, with cool doodads, immersive weather and generally pleasing visuals, or was the arena a bland no-brain terrain with one tile all over?
  • Performance. Are the triggers/code well written with little to no leaks/bugs? Does it run smoothly, or does it lag due to poor triggering/coding?
  • Sounds. Are you using boss sounds when certain events happens, or when the boss casts certain spells? Is the music fitting and captivating?
  • Last but not least; Was it an enjoyable experience? Was the boss fight as a whole interesting and well made?

Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
Can't I team up with anyone?

Level 11
Ohh, sorry, I copypasted most rules :D. I will ad an optional paired, and try to add these criteria.

Edit: Solved, now there is new judging criteria, and the contest is optionally paired.

Last edited:
Also you should establish what version we should make it in. Since this is a team fight it should be possible to host it on battle.net, which means the latest version should be required. That, or the players will have to resort to simulated LAN. Another alternative is using an older version that is compatible with Gameranger, but then we won't have native fullscreen and many other things.

Level 11
That is a good point. Anyway, there are lots of ways to play mutliplayer, even if it isn't global (local area and other stuff) with old versions.
By other way, It's impossible to play maps created in old versions by battle.net? I don't really know, being my wc3 has falled into the deep sands of forgotten years ago.
I don't think we can make people use Reforged (or refunded, whatever), even if it's main and theorical quest is being played online (at this point, most contest are suffering to adaptate themselves to this dual warcraft).

You can't play maps made in newer versions with an older game client (or at least in most cases). Also, maps made in pre-1.32 will look quite bad in 1.32 due to rendering differences and so on. There are a lot of compatibility issues to take into consideration so it would honestly be best to just go with the latest version. Not necessarily Reforged, only the latest version.

Level 11
I'm not really sure, just i don't have enough information about patches (honestly, I didn't take any care before Reforged), so i think this would be better to decided for the community and possible participants. Also, that allows me to post a Poll :D.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
As someone who still want to use reforged I would like to be able to use it in contests.
I also think it is smart to not limit patches because we want as many entries as possible.

For that reason, voting for any version and any patch.

edit: I realize this is a pain in the ass for judges. But I see this as pretty much required if you want more than 3 entries. I happy to be wrong about that tho.

Level 11
There isn't many days for the poll.
If the results are any patch and version (just supposing to see all the possible participants), who is interested in participate?
Anyone can join any time after the start of the contest, anyway.

AGD

AGD

Level 16
Isn't it good to allow a three-man team for this?

I can imagine them working in 3 distinct areas:
- Aesthetics (Terrain, model/texture edits, camps and minion placements, map layout)
- Gameplay (map and boss fight mechanics, ai, cinematics and sounds, etc.)
- Character Designs (heroes and the boss, and their abilities and synergies)

Level 11
Isn't it good to allow a three-man team for this?

I can imagine them working in 3 distinct areas:
- Aesthetics (Terrain, model/texture edits, camps and minion placements, map layout)
- Gameplay (map and boss fight mechanics, ai, cinematics and sounds, etc.)
- Character Designs (heroes and the boss, and their abilities and synergies)
That would be helpful for the division, but I think it will greatly reduce the time of work work for the team, and create a Big gap between teams and alone-participants. Also, I don't see this contest as hard to require that amount of participants (as the hero creating contest, with 3 participants teams, that included icon and model creating, original and equilibrated spells, etc) being It requires domain over as much areas as the last mini-mapping contest.

Level 11
Sadly, it didn't even started yet. Mythic still trying to find judges.
When the contest starts, I will add a month to the deadline from the first day, i think that would be time enough.

Level 24
Sorry for making a mess of your contest thread with my mini-rant but what the f- is going on with the (sub-)theme?
The contestants must create one team boss fight for 2 players. The boss must have two phases, and the contestant needs to make exactly 2 classes for the 2 players. The boss fight arena must have beautiful terrain, and be as immersive as possible.
  • Why exactly for two players?
  • Why exactly 2 phases (what defines a phase exactly, anyway, giving the boss an additional ability)?
  • Why exactly 2 classes (what defines a class, different abilities, ranged vs melee attacks?
  • Why does a boss battle need a "beautiful" terrain and how do you define this so that people who make a non-beautiful terrain can be disqualified?
Look - I like the number 2 as much as the next guy but the stupidity of this very narrowly defined set of rules only succeeds in limiting the creativity of participants to the point that I don't know why any of the above actually made it past an initial draft.

That said, I do think that boss battle is a good theme in general... with a less invasive set of rules to go with it.

[/rant]

Why exactly for two players?
It was three players initially.
Why exactly 2 phases (what defines a phase exactly, anyway, giving the boss an additional ability)?
Would you ask the same if it was 3 or 4 phases? Are you asking why there are phases at all? It is to make the submissions more interesting. Phases can be many things. Change of environment, more rapid attacks, other spells, change of physical form. Think for yourself.
Why exactly 2 classes (what defines a class, different abilities, ranged vs melee attacks?
1 class per player, obviously. Any more will make it a living hell for judges to test the different synergies. Read about classes.
Why does a boss battle need a "beautiful" terrain and how do you define this so that people who make a non-beautiful terrain can be disqualified?
Because it adds another level of immersion to the boss fight. Having stunning scenery and a vibrant arena where you can interact with your environment as a part of the boss fight is awesome. You can't be disqualified for having a bad terrain.
I like the number 2 as much as the next guy
The number 2 is based on the amount of judges. It was initially 3.
the stupidity of this very narrowly defined set of rules only succeeds in limiting the creativity of participants to the point that I don't know why any of the above actually made it past an initial draft.
I'm sorry you don't have sufficient creativity.
That said, I do think that boss battle is a good theme in general but given the above all that is lost due to the points raised above.
Not sure what I can do with your huge phobia of the number 2.

Level 24
FeelsGoodMan said:
It was three players initially.
Okay, and the justification for this is that the two judges are able to play it together properly without having to find a nth player? Honest question really and this does make some sense, were it not for the fact that singleplayer maps would be equally playable.

FeelsGoodMan said:
Would you ask the same if it was 3 or 4 phases? Are you asking why there are phases at all? It is to make the submissions more interesting. Phases can be many things. Change of environment, more rapid attacks, other spells, change of physical form. Think for yourself.
I would say the same if it were 0 -> N phases. This is such an unnecessary rule and already tells the contestant what kind of boss battle to make for no apparent reason. Either you want to make a phased boss battle in which case I don't see why 2 is the perfect number versus 3 or 4 or any other number, or you don't want to make a phased boss battle in which case you are now disqualified to participate.

FeelsGoodMan said:
1 class per player, obviously. Any more will make it a living hell for judges to test the different synergies. Read about classes.
No, that's not an answer. Define class in the context of this contest. I don't care what wikipedia says about classes in RPG games in general. What if I copy the same player unit and change the primary attribute from STR to INT? Now you might find me very autistic (or if that's insensitive perhaps pedantic) but when you write rules they should be easy and clear to understand for the participant, with minimum to zero risk of misunderstandings that lead to disqualification.

FeelsGoodMan said:
Because it adds another level of immersion to the boss fight. Having stunning scenery and a vibrant arena where you can interact with your environment as a part of the boss fight is awesome. You can't be disqualified for having a bad terrain.
"The boss fight arena must have beautiful terrain"
"You can't be disqualified for having a bad terrain."
Clear.
On another note, perhaps it makes more sense to emphasize that the arena should make for a good boss fight, but hey.

FeelsGoodMan said:
I'm sorry you don't have sufficient creativity.
Got me there.

Okay, and the justification for this is that the two judges are able to play it together properly without having to find a nth player? Honest question really and this does make some sense, were it not for the fact that singleplayer maps would be equally playable.
Yes, the idea is that the judges will play it together. While single player maps are equally playable the idea was to have a fight based on teamwork and synergies.
I would say the same if it were 0 -> N phases. This is such an unnecessary rule and already tells the contestant what kind of boss battle to make for no apparent reason. Either you want to make a phased boss battle in which case I don't see why 2 is the perfect number versus 3 or 4 or any other number, or you don't want to make a phased boss battle in which case you are now disqualified to participate.
You're obsessing over numbers as if those numbers were meticulously chosen. The numbers are just random numbers, don't read too much into it. It's a boss fight with phases, that's all. How you wish to incorporate another phase is entirely up to you. It's not limiting in any way, shape or form.
disqualified to participate.
No you won't be disqualified... You will probably lose some points, which puts you at a disadvantage, but you will most probably not be disqualified.
No, that's not an answer. Define class in the context of this contest. I don't care what wikipedia says about classes in RPG games in general. What if I copy the same player unit and change the primary attribute from STR to INT? Now you might find me very autistic (or if that's insensitive perhaps pedantic) but when you write rules they should be easy and clear to understand for the participant, with minimum to zero risk of misunderstandings that lead to disqualification.
Don't make it more complicated than it needs be. Everyone here knows what a class is. How you make your class is up to you. If you change STR to INT and call it a day expect to get 0 votes and a low judge score.
"The boss fight arena must have beautiful terrain"
"You can't be disqualified for having a bad terrain."
Clear.
On another note, perhaps it makes more sense to emphasize that the arena should make for a good boss fight, but hey.
You're clearly new to contests so let me explain. If you make a bland no-effort one-tile terrain you won't be disqualified but you will get a low score on that specific aspect.
Got me there.
Sure did.

Sounds fun. You should have set the contest up in a way that would have allowed you to compile all entries together! Could have made for an epic community map :p
I think that would have limited some entries since Lua and JASS can't coexist. So that would force people to use a language they don't prefer.

Level 10
I'm really a sucker for good boss fights and this sounds certainly entertaining (and experimenting could give me some ideas for my current project).

Following the thread and will decide within the next days if i'm in (Didn't had the best record to pull through with contests, so i will try to shovel up some free time).

Level 11
I had to completely restart Window to save my computer, so i have to download everything again. Anyway, i still in the contest being there is a huge amount of time.
Meanwhile, as a curiosity cuestion (and only if you wanna help a men who has loosed every project 4 days ago :) ): As classes, on wich dragonflight do you see most future, between red, green, aszure and bronze dragonflight? From the top of my head, red dragonflight would mix ranged dps/considerable healing, green would be almost healing, with mixed spells and stats that allows him to increase armor or deal damage, aszure would be pure ranged dps, and bronze would be dps/tank.

I know it's said that any patch is suitable, but I just want to double check before I start experiment a little with something; @FeelsGoodMan @Mayday will you be able to play a map developed on the most recent version (1.32.8). Anyone of you who doesn't have Reforged and can't play with HD graphics?
I have Reforged and everything I need to play pretty much any version.

WC3ScrnShot_081920_005954_001.png
WC3ScrnShot_081920_010014_001.png
WC3ScrnShot_081920_010102_001.png
Hi, hopefully I can finish this map. I have the basic terraining and placement done and now I have to create all the triggers and test. So far I have completed the resurrection stone trigger but have not tested it yet.

The map will be called "The Perilous Pass" and will feature a female Deathknight as the boss. The heroes will be a Human Paladin and an Elven Ranger. The plan is to have waves of undead creeps attacking the heroes as adds while small numbers of reinforcing friendly units join the heroes through the portal at the south side of the map. Creeps will cause the players to divide their attention between the boss phases and the adds, making the fight challenging even though they can revive infinitely.

I will be using the latest edition of Reforged, hopefully that will be ok.

Last edited:
Level 27
I'm working on the Heroes and their abilities, some of the spells are finished while others are just concepts. They will be a Paladin and a Rogue, fighting against a Dark Elf Witch and a Spider Queen for an ancient elven relic.

WIP1.PNG

The most challenging part for me will be the terrain and the map decoration, but I'll do my best try.

The plan is to have waves of undead creeps attacking the heroes as adds while small numbers of reinforcing friendly units join the heroes through the portal at the south side of the map. Creeps will cause the players to divide their attention between the boss phases and the adds, making the fight challenging even though they can revive infinitely.

I have a similar idea with creeps but with a different implementation, there's not problem with that, right?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.