• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The mansion

THE MANSION
A horror-themed cinematic

So, I found this old thing on my hard drive. I made it way back in the 2000s, so the vanilla texture in close-ups are rough, but the camera work and atmosphere still hold up, I think. Some dodgy english also, I suppose.

It's a horror tropefest about a bunch of teenagers going at night in a supposedly haunted mansion, so I guess it's Halloween-themed.

There are 2 different endings that you can choose from, because I made it for a contest on another site and it was the theme. One is a bit less cliche (NO) but the other one is more interesting visually (YES).

It works well on 1.28, I hope it does in later versions too.

Running time : 5-10 minutes

models/skins :
Eerie fog : Born²modificate
Iron fence : Illidan(Evil)X
Indoor doodads : Nasrudin
Nerubian stinger : alfredx_sotn
Nazgul rider : Olofmoleman
Hand torch and Door : Rao Dao Zao
Illidan without weapon : krakou
Light : Mc!
Cityscape stairs, Arched door and window, Elf house and tower, fireplace : Reinless
WaterfallFX : Buster
Stairs (Stone) : ???
Dead trees : ???
Sapin : eXn (I think)
Elveswood : Mordrag (I think)
lightningboltx : ???
Villagers skins : Dmitry Rommel
Illidan evil gargoyle skin : THE_END, edited by TSG
Ruins staircase : ???
Web tileset : Thunder Mare
Web white : TSG

music :
-various themes from "Sleepy Hollow" by Danny Elfman
-theme from "Psychose" by Bernard Hermann
-credits music : the king of pop himself
Contents

The mansion (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
A lovely one. Some issues would be doodads appearing out of the blue because of the camera being too close to them at first especially in the beginning (trees and stuff). There are many parts where the music would work better for action rather than...
Level 10
I suppose you watched it with a newer patch in 16:9 ? It was made for 4:3 originally so some framing problems are to be expected. When exactly are the problems ?
Oh, uhm, yeah. I watched it with last patch, I forgot you mentioned this could happen 🤦‍♂️ lol. Well, there are many parts and I didn't count them, sorry. But nevertheless I enjoyed it.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A lovely one.
Some issues would be doodads appearing out of the blue because of the camera being too close to them at first especially in the beginning (trees and stuff). There are many parts where the music would work better for action rather than tension or mystery; also some parts where it suddenly stops.
Funny how Tony scratched his back with the torch :D

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 12
Lovely cinematic, my favorite part was the statue coming alive and moving its head fore sure, it looked amazing, it's always nice to see what people can create using the War3 World Editor!

I played the cinematic using War3 version 1.26 and i didn't see any bugs.

I found this scene kinda funny, "Probably just the wind" he says as there are clearly some mysterious burning footprints right in front of him :xxd:
I guess Tony doesn't have the best eyesight:cool:2
wind ha.png