• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Bandit's Crucible v1.8

The Bandit's Crucible v1.8
Created by Fleck

Map Info:

Play as the Bandits with their unconventional faction, relying on hiring a steady stream of hardened mercenaries to fight for them or their allies instead of training new recruits from the spoils of war!

Features:
  • New units
  • New heroes
  • New custom skills
  • New techtree
  • New items
  • New Bandit AI

To play or set the computers to bandits, choose human and set handicap to 90%.

Screenshots:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Change Log:

Initial release.

Dragon Breeding Pit building and ability tooltip is now consistent.
Added a questlog explaining the Bandit mercenary hire pool.
Expanded Seedy Pub and Tower Ruins mercenary building ability tooltips.
Increased mercenary hire pool chance from 45% to 50%.
Split the icon credits questlog into two.
Updated some tooltips.
Fixed Bandit AI, thanks to Wazzz.
Updated Current Map Version questlog from 1.0 to 1.1

Greatly reduces Furious Charge cooldown and mana cost.
Furious Charge can now target heroes.
Flanking Aura now properly works above level 1.
Fixed Flanking Aura triggering.

Updated mercenary hire pool triggers so that every Seedy Pub and Tower Ruins always start with a random set of mercenaries.
Increased mercenary hire pool chance from 50% to 60%.
Updated Seedy Pub, Tower Ruins, Black Market tooltips.
Bandit weapon and armor upgrades now also apply to Laborers, Chaplains, Rogue Wizards and Renegade Wizards.
Added bronze dragon whelps and drakes, added a new researchable ability for Bronze Drakes that increases the movement speed of friendly units.
Removed Scroll of Regeneration, Lesser Clarity Potion, Sentry Wards, Spider Broach from Black Market.
Added Black Market item pool and questlog.
Updated Bandit AI script to stop tower spam.

Updated PDD, EOT triggering in preparation for merging this race with my other altered melee races.
Neutral Hostile now starts with March of Time researched.
Updated misc triggering.

Updated Knockback triggering.
Added Roll Gacha ability to Seedy Pubs and Tower Ruins.
Added time elasped timer.
Added space to quotes and colorcodes in tooltips.
Fixed heroglow bug.
Bandit Lord hero ai should now cast Meteoric Smash.
Fixed Meteoric Smash triggers to work for other players.
Increased Corpse Explosion cast range from 500 to 600.
Increased Shadow Flame gold cost from 135 to 145.
Decreased Shadow Flame lumber cost from 215 to 205.
Increased March of Time lumber cost from 100 to 125.
Changed Chaplain icon.
Ported the custom race to (6) Silverpine Forest.

Added a 120 second duration to units summoned from Dark Wizard's Dark Portal ultimate ability.
Increased Roll Gacha gold cost from 150 to 175.
Added Roll Gacha equivalent for Dragon Breeding Pit.
Added collision box to Dragon Breeding Pit model.
Added models for some items.

Replaced the icons of Rogue, Enforcer, Assassin, Renegade Wizard, Heretic, Mud Golem, Ogre Mauler, Forest Troll Berserker and Murloc Mutant to better differentiate them.
Replaced the default icon of Bandit Lord.
Changed the scaling of Ring of Potection item from 0.90 to 0.80
Changed the scaling of Bracer of Agility item from 1.00 to 0.80
Changed Thunderbrew Ale Priority from 0 to 33.
Added lootbox item in Black Market.

Updated Custom Skills Trigerring.
Added Shadow Flame research to neutral hostile.
Added unit inventory and Glyph of Ultravision upgrades to Seedy Pub and Tower Ruins mercenaries.
Added colorcode to Seedy Pub and Tower Ruins mercenaries ability tooltips.
Changed Entrap base ability from Storm Bolt to Chain Lightning.
And more patch notes that was unfortunately lost while updating.

Credits:

Laborer (Bandit_Repairman) - Zurenol, DeuceGorgon
Bandit Rider (Mounted Bandit) - Wandering Soul
Enforcer, Assassin (Bandit) - IronMaiden
Dark Wizard - warcraftunderground.freeforums.net
Bandit Lord - warcraftunderground.freeforums.net

Bandit Encampment (Encampment) - Kitabatake
Bandit Tent (Tent and Derivatives) - Blizzard Entertainment, Ujimasa Hojo
Mercenary Camp (Mercenary Camp and Derivatives) - Blizzard Entertainment, Ujimasa Hojo
Thieves' Guild (Thieves' Guild and Derivatives) - Ujimasa Hojo
Seedy Pub (Tavern) - Mike
Black Market (Marketplace and Derivatives) - Blizzard Entertainment, Ujimasa Hojo
Hidden Cache (Hut (Gnoll) and Derivatives) - Ujimasa Hojo
Tower Ruins (Hut (Furbolg) and Derivatives) - Blizzard Entertainment, Ujimasa Hojo
Dragon Breeding Pit (DragonRoost) - ELDERTITANFALL

Bandit Encampment Icon (BTNTent) - Blizzard Entertainment, genin32
Bandit Tent Icon (Tent and Derivatives) - Blizzard Entertainment, Ujimasa Hojo
Thieves' Guild Icon (Thieves' Guild and Derivatives) - Ujimasa Hojo
Seedy Pub Icon (BTNTavern) - Eagle XI
Dragon Breeding Pit Icon (BTNEgg) - maxor_gan
Hero Enforcer Icon (BTNAngarakWarriorIcon) - Amargaard
Hero Assassin Icon (BTNAngarakWarriorIcon2) - Amargaard
Hero Dark Wizard Icon (BTNBanditWizard) - Marcos DAB
Bandit Rider Icon (Horse) - BLazeKraze
Chaplain Icon (BTNChaplain) - Blizzard Entertainment, Pyraeus
Black Dragon Whelp Icon (Dragon Whelps) - Null
Stealth Icon (Bandit Hide) - BLazeKraze
Spoils of War Icon (BTNTreasureChest) - PeeKay
Bandit Axe Upgrade Icons - viiva
Bandit Shield Upgrade Icons - UnholyDobry
Reinforced Booze Icon (BTNDrinkAle) - Sin'dorei300
Contract Negotiation Icon (BTNEconomics) - NFWar
Veteran Mercenaries Icon (Rank 0-5) - Lockheart
Seedy Pub Ability Icon (BTNSpell_Misc_Drink) - Blizzard
Tower Ruins Mercenaries Icon (BTNBookofBlood) - Elenai
Shadow Flame Icon (Soulfire Bundle) - poaalpina, Goblinounours
Furious Charge Ability Icon (BTNCharge) - KelThuzad
Meteoric Smash Ability Icon (BTNSunFragment) - D.ee
Black Flag Icon (BTNKingdomFlag) - Marcos DAB
Shield Smash Icon (BTNShieldBash) - zbc
Intimidation Aura Icon (BTNBattleRage) - -Berz-
Cornered Animal Icon (Ferocity Upgrade) - Darkfang, Blizzard Entertainment
Entrap Icon (BTNEnsnareSeaCreatures) - Sunreaver
Flanking Aura Icon (BTNTraitor) - Darkfang
Sabotage Icon (BTNINV_Misc_Bomb_05) - Blizzard Entertainment
Corpse Explosion Icon (BTNSpell_Shadow_AbominationExplosion) - Blizzard Entertainment
Ray of Enfeeblement Icon (BTNBeamBlast) - The Panda
Atrophy Aura Icon (BTNDER_Flesh_Decay) - CRAZYRUSSIAN
Hero Bandit Lord Icon (HQ Icons - Classic Bandits) - Mustang
Rogue Icon (HQ Icons - Classic Bandits) - Mustang
Enforcer Icon (HQ Icons - Classic Bandits) - Mustang
Assassin Icon (HQ Icons - Classic Bandits) - Mustang
Renegade Wizard Icon (HQ Icons - Classic Bandits) - Mustang
Heretic Icon (BTNAcolyte) - ~Nightmare
Mud Golem Icon (HQ Classic Golems) - Mustang
Ogre Mauler Icon (BTNOrcOgre01) - Marcos DAB
Forest Troll Berserker Icon (BTNTroll) - Mr.Goblin
Murloc Mutant Icon (Murloc) - Murlocologist

Intimidation Aura (Domination Aura) - Direfury
Intimidation Aura Debuff (Disarm) - Mythic
Black Flag Effect (Surrender (effect)) - Kitabatake
2nd Rank, 3rd Rank Buff - B1oodwork, ILH
Shield Bash (Charge Effect) - Shardeth
Cornered Animal Buff (Burning Rage) - Mythic
Atrophy Aura (Exhuming Aura) - 00110000
Ray of Enfeeblement Missile (Prism Ray (3-Tiered)) - Cherrymage
Ray of Enfeeblement Effect (Arcane Nova) - dhguardianes
Ray of Enfeeblement Debuff (Disarm) - Mythic
Lootbox Special Effect (Wooden Treasure Boxes - Pack) - stan0033

Amulet of Spell Shield, Belt of Giant Strength +6, Boots of Speed, Circlet of Nobility, Claws of Attack, Cloak of Shadows, Gauntlets of Ogre Strength +3, Khadgar's Gem of Health, Mantle of Intelligence +3, Periapt of Vitality, Slippers of Agility +3, Health Stone, Mana Stone, Potion of Greater Mana, Replenishment Potion, Scroll of Restoration, Crown of Kings +5, Kelen's Dagger of Escape, Mask of Death, Potion of Healing, Potion of Mana, Scroll of Healing, Scroll of Mana, Scroll of Protection, Gem of True Seeing, Greater Replenishment Potion, Lesser Replenishment Potion, Minor Replenishment Potion (Icons to Models Pack) - KAIL333XZ
Ring of Protection (RingOfProtection) - republicola
Gloves of Haste (Gloves of Speed) - Matarael
Boots of Quel'Thalas +6 (Elven Boots) - Matarael and Mc!
Tome of Retraining (Tome Of Retraining) - Mc !
Book of the Dead, Tome of Experience. Tome of Greater Experience, Manual of Health (Books) - AnimE
Helm of Valor, Medallion of Courage, Pendant of Energy, Pendant of Mana, Sobi Mask, Staff of Silence, The Lion Horn of Stormwind, Healing Wards, Talisman of the Wild, Wand of Lightning Shield, Wand of Mana Stealing, Staff of Negation, Bracer of Agility (Items from Icons) - AnimE
Ancient Janggo of Endurance, Cloak of Flames, Crystal Ball, Ring of Regeneration, Robe of the Magi +6, Scourge Bone Chimes, Warsong Battle Drums, Dust of Appearance|r (item models) - terrio
Tome of Knowledge, Tome of Power (Item_Pack) - YC
Ice Shard (Ice Shield) - Matarael
Alleria's Flute of Accuracy (Staff) - Matarael
Ankh of Reincarnation (Ankh of Resurrection) - Matarael
Orb of Frost, Orb of Corruption, Orb of Fire, Orb of Venom (Orbs of Frostcraft) - Mythic
Orb of Darkness, Orb of Lightning (Orbs) - IrokeZ
Scroll of Animate Dead, Scroll of Resurrection, Scroll of the Beast, Scroll of Town Portal, Arcane Scroll, Greater Scroll of Replenishment, Lesser Scroll of Replenishment, Scroll of the Unholy Legion (Scrolls) - Ket
Potion of Omniscience (Potions) - Ket
Shimmerglaze Roast (Ham) - RightField
Thunderbrew Ale (Cider) - HerrDave

Tome of Agility Icon (BTNTomeGreen) - Grunts_Fadora
Tome of Strength Icon (BTNTomeRed) - Grunts_Fadora
Tome of Knowledge Icon (BTNWeaver) - Novart
Thunderbrew Ale Icon (BTNINV_Misc_Mug) - Blizzard Entertainment
Lootbox Icon (BTNTreasureChest) - PrinceYaser

Hero Glow - assasin lord
How to add Hero Glow without Modeling - supertoinkz
Physical Damage Detection Engine GUI v 1.3.0.0 - looking_for_help aka eey
[GUI] Effect Over Time System 2.3.1 - Wietlol
GUI Knockback 2.5D v4.2.5.0 - Bribe
Jump System [Paladon] - Paladon, Lender for adding game event JDA_JumpEndEvent
vJASS Charge 1.00 - Majin, Silvenon (Knockback Function), Vexorian (Handle Timers Function), Captain Griffen (Attach Timer Function)
Warcraft III Viewer
War3 Model Editor - Magos
Button Manager v1.8.2 - Shadow Daemon
BloodSoul's vJASS code for checking by town-hall classification.
World Editor Help Zone - edo494, Jampion, Kitabatake, doom_sheep
Single Target Spell for Multiple Units Tutorial - Rheiko
The mysteries of the Spellbook - Diablo-dk

Author's notes:

Inspired by Wazzz's Typhoon - Bandits and Whitewolf8's creep race

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates
Contents

Bandit's Silverpine Forest v1.8 (Map)

The Bandit's Crucible v1.8 (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
A nice concept that could use more custom mechanics especially on the techtree part. Approved.
Level 26
I played it only in custom games, as a sole player. I like the concept, but the mercs are only available after some time. Like, I build the Pub and the Fallen tower, and after like 10-15 minutes some units are there to hire.

Level 13
Yep, that's the idea. When you finished building a pub/ruins, there is a 45% chance that it starts with a random merc group immediately ready for hire. The pub/ruins merc hire pool refresh from a range between 300-420 seconds with 45% chance for a new merc group. It all depends on luck really.

I totally enjoyed the custom bandit race. It might need some explanation akin to a dummy ability to explain how the Pub and that other one work, but everything else is delightful. Hard to say whether it is balanced, but I have a splendid time playing and that's all that matters to me.

Level 35
It's very nice to see that I was able to inspire this in some way :)
I am very intrigued by the further incorporation of hiring mechanics, although I did find when trying to play the Bandits 1v1 that I didn't seem to get any mercenaries to hire whatsoever no matter how many Seedy Pubs I built.
I am not sure if it was because I set my allies to Normal AI, but I found the Bandit AI seemed to get stuck on building only three Bandits from their Town Hall - which does make me wonder how the AI could possibly be further developed to hire the mercenaries that appear in their structures 🤔
Very fun map, and a nice Bandit faction to play around with <3

Level 13
@ Daffa
Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed playing. Huh, I already thought the pub/ruins ability was descriptive enough. I will expand the abillity tooltip and add a questlog about it.

@ Wazzz
Indeed :)
That's some bad luck, you should have least have 1 building with mercs. I might consider increasing the chance to 60% but for now I will increase to 50%. For AI not working properly, it became buggy after I updated the AI script. Thanks for the comment, it is fixed now!
As for the AI hiring mercs, I heard that AMAI (Advanced Melee AI) by Strategy Master can enable AI to hire mercenaries and more but I haven't tested it yet. Triggering to spawn mercs for AI is also an alternative.
Thank you, I'm glad you had fun too!

Level 35
@ Wazzz
Indeed :)
That's some bad luck, you should have least have 1 building with mercs. I might consider increasing the chance to 60% but for now I will increase to 50%. For AI not working properly, it became buggy after I updated the AI script. Thanks for the comment, it is fixed now!
As for the AI hiring mercs, I heard that AMAI (Advanced Melee AI) by Strategy Master can enable AI to hire mercenaries and more but I haven't tested it yet. Triggering to spawn mercs for AI is also an alternative.
Thank you, I'm glad you had fun too!
I can't tell you how fiddly the AI for my Bandits were to get working at times, I'm glad you were able to get it running how you wanted 😅

Oh it's been years since I saw AMAI, that did some amazing stuff :D
If that doesn't work, I'm sure you can find a work around that should get the AI working for you with triggers or something of the likes - looking forward to seeing how this develops <3

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Tower Ruins doesn't start with mercenaries in like Seedy Pub. Maybe the random generation ability is shared between the two since the Seedy Pub changed troops right before Tower Ruins completed construction? Every other Seedy Pub or Tower Ruins built after that was empty. Waited for those 300-400 seconds and nothing, only the first built Seedy Pub had troops and the gnolls remained there for ever it seems.
Buying some gnolls got me a message about their gold and lumber cost and refund cost.
The bandit troops are too few to deserve their own armour and attack upgrades separated from the mercenaries.
I thought the market would be like the neutral one generating random items but it looks like they are the same.

Generally, a nice concept but with little gameplay variety (would be nice for more dragon types, each with their own perks etc.) and randomness that could cause balance issues (some units could be less useful and you can't really program a strategy; also the wait necessary to train troops). The techtree is pretty much based on the original game with some hero custom spells but besides that's kind of it.
Right now, it's rough and not properly functional.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 13
@deepstrasz
Seedy Pub and Tower Ruins have different triggers, that was just rng. I supposed my random merc generation was too punitive. I updated it now so Seedy Pub and Tower Ruins always start with a random set of mercs. And increased the chance for a new merc group from 50% to 60% for more variety.

Yeah, you will get a refund message every time you hire mercs at your seedy pub and tower ruins if you researched Contract Negotiation.
Bandit upgrades also affects Rogues, Assassins and Enforcers. The upgrades now also apply to Laborers, Chaplains, Rogue Wizards and Renegade Wizards.
Yeah, the black market doesn't randomly generate a new set of items like Marketplace. But now I updated the black market to generate new items but most of the items remains static.

Added bronze dragon whelps and drakes, added a new researchable ability for Bronze Drakes that increases the movement speed of friendly units.

Level 13
Interesting concept, but you should work a bit on balance. Something is totally useless, something is very OP - dark portal with permanent demons without food cost. In early game I think bandits have faster start than other races.
Thanks for the comment, I will rebalance the dark portal ultimate in the next update. The bandit's different unit training system has its pros and cons. While hired units instantly appear, it is limited by its stocks and cooldown though you circumvent that by spending gold to instantly refresh and change the mercenary pool. I may increase the gold cost in future updates.