• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft II Beta Key Spell Contest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Your spell is far to simple to be reviewed. It's just an object editor spell with some minor triggering.

I followed the rules. Noone said there has to be a minum nummber of code lines.
You didnt review it ? Did you even click the "test"-button?

Fate - ??

My spell has a name, if you would have tested the map you´d know it.

That really makes me angry

Edit: I agree with anachron

Level 5
I disagree on many points that Triggerhappy mentioned in the reviews, but I was really surprised not to see him flaming about "non-vJass". Coding experienced?:wink:

By the way... Dark_gandalfs spell has been already uploaded by somebody long time ago, referring to that tentacle pulling and throwing.
I don't know whether it has been himself, but this should be a greater malus, since you even accused my teleporting beam with it's effects of unoriginality, though I cannot find even one similar spell here on THW.

Please get some more moderators for judging next time, several things have been really not justified. Most spells that got a low rating on the competition deserve some more points, while most wellpointed submissions do not really deserve the points on certain issues.

I followed the rules. Noone said there has to be a minum nummber of code lines.
You didnt review it ? Did you even click the "test"-button?
Spell Rules said:
* Originality
Submissions should be at least somewhat unique, except in cases where they greatly improve on an existing spell in terms of performance, cleanliness (of code), visuals, or otherwise.
* Usefulness
Submissions must be useful; extremely simple and uncreative work will not be accepted, and nor will cinematic spells or other spells which have no place in a game.

I disagree on many points that Triggerhappy mentioned in the reviews, but I was really surprised not to see him flaming about "non-vJass". Coding experienced?
That's because he allowed GUI.

All together I can't imagine this was a real contest.

Level 8
The mb best part of this "contest" was like Piranha89's flamewarcrussade against vJass, the rest was a joke.
Orginaly this was supposed to be a speed-contest thingy but whatsoever nearly 3 weaks after end we got the results.

The other thing is, that there was nothing about coding-style mentioned:

TriggerHappy said:
First off, INDENT YOUR CODE. Yes, I'm seriously going to mark you down for having no indentation.
You have no configurable functions so if I wanted to change some values I would have to go through the code and find what to change.
0.01 timer interval is a bit low.
Dynamic groups >_<
NONE of this points was mentioned...

I followed all the "coding rules"
Coding 20 pts said:
Is the spell efficient, . CHECK!
leakless and . . . . . . . CHECK!
MUI? . . . . . . . . . . . . CHECK!
Coding 20 pts said:
You have done all that is mentioned by me, thats why you get 7/20,
cu next time Equal
greets Coding 20 pts

or did i just missed the hidenallyoushouldhavethesamecodingstylepart ?
HIDEN real Coding 20 pts said:
indent code,
easy to understand and
easy to configurable and
not so low timer's and
dynamic groups only and
how about nice colors?

That was not worth waiting all this time..
greets equal

Can you guys stop bitching at me please. Compared to most spell contests this was graded fairly fast. There have been contests where you would have to wait months for results.

Oh, and another thing. I focused more on the actual spell than the coding when grading. I kept in mind that this is a spell contest where the idea was the focus point, not the coding. So don't get pissed if someone won because they used GUI or you lost even if your coding was better.

And like I said before, don't expect long reviews, I tried doing this as quickly as possible as I have been fairly inactive lately and I actually got a day where I had literally nothing going on.

The reviews may have sucked, but what are you going to do about it =\
I'll just never judge a contest again.

Level 14
@Equal: If you want to make reading your code hell on earth, you can do that, but dont expect anyone to give you good marks for that. I personally can understand TriggerHappy when he reduces your coding points for not even indenting your code.

Seems like you dont believe in vJass, do you? Using StringHash for hashtable keys kinda seems dumb. You could just use constant global integers (read up on keys in the JassHelper manual). That would be efficient. And using global arrays (structs) would be even more efficient.
Also, your spell will desync Macs from PCs because you use UnitDamagePoint.
You leak timers.
You inlined all constants, which makes your spell a pain to adjust to other maps. I dont even know which objects are used for what.

So let me summarize, your spell leaks, is inefficient without any good reason and has problems adjusting to new environments. However, ive yet to find that it is not MUI.

Last edited:
Level 8
Oh come on =_= Everyone is mad. I am mad too, but... just stfu all of you. Everyone wants a key you don't have to bitch at the judge that he didn't pick you. Yeah ok, let's say the judging wasn't fair. So what? You know you can't reverse it. On the other hand, maybe we should just use polls where the users vote for all contests? That would be most fair probably, but it's not like every user knows JASS so well that he can view every single line and determine which spell is the best...

Level 2
Oh, and another thing. I focused more on the actual spell than the coding when grading. I kept in mind that this is a spell contest where the idea was the focus point, not the coding. So don't get pissed if someone won because they used GUI or you lost even if your coding was better.

And why didnt you juge my spell then?

Level 18
Unless there is an outstanding, breath-taking spell idea that nobody else even came close to competing against then I can understand how an idea would take you as far as a victory, but in any other situation judging a spell based on the idea is pretty stupid. Almost every spell submission in this contest was predictable and unpolished, despite whatever trendy idea they were trying to imitate.

An idea isn't worth anything, it's the work that is put behind the idea that makes it worth a damn. If you've presented a spell that has 1 line of triggered GUI code and another contestant presents a spell with a diverse system of code setup for his/her spell then the victor would be an obvious choice.

The only thing the idea can really be used for is edging a submission past another, but there's no way that a 3-line GUI code spell should have any chance of winning, as there was no real work put into it. It doesn't matter how long it takes a user to add up 2 + 2, they're still going to get 4.

Level 11
I know im not going to win the game because of this... but

Coding 5/20 You don't recycle at all so once your spell is casted 8191 times, it wont work anymore. The worst part about this is that your spell could have been made completely in the object editor, it looks just like fireball with an arc.

• Finish Spell
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Buff Caster
    • Actions
      • For each (Integer x) from 1 to GranadeCounter, do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Triggering unit) Equal to WanderTester[x]
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game
              • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Targets[x] and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Unit - Remove Wander (Neutral) from (Picked unit)
              • Set WanderTester[x] = No unit
              • Set Caster[x] = No unit
              • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_Targets[udg_x])
              • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (JumpingBombs is empty) Equal to True
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set GranadeCounter = 0
                • Else - Actions
            • Else - Actions
I do recicle the variable here and the only thing i do not recycle is the "udg_Targets" unit group

nevermind. I know i did the coding the best i could :p

It got actually reviewed! Nice. But I got 5/20 for my originality even with my unique blue hole instead of a black one, how could that have happened :p.
Congrats to the winners, and I agree with the fact that no matter how long the code is the spell must be cool and usefull ingame.
People that play the games simply dont care about code, and in the end they are the ones we make our maps for (well, that is my point of view).

Level 40
Gratz to the winners!

Thanks for taking your time to review them, Trigger.

Though, this contest seems the most dramatic contest ever, and not due to the judge. =_='
People aren't willing to admit that it's their fault that they didn't win. Not that not winning is a travesty or anything, they just really wanted the beta key and are going to bitch and whine if they think it will give them the slightest chance of getting it. Back in the day I hosted T&S spell contests every few weeks with a negligible prize (10 rep), and there was essentially no complaining; everyone left happier than they came in. Prizes do things to people.

Level 18
PurplePoot said:
People aren't willing to admit that it's their fault that they didn't win. Not that not winning is a travesty or anything, they just really wanted the beta key and are going to bitch and whine if they think it will give them the slightest chance of getting it. Back in the day I hosted T&S spell contests every few weeks with a negligible prize (10 rep), and there was essentially no complaining; everyone left happier than they came in. Prizes do things to people.

Perhaps this is a likely scenario for some of our younger members, wanting to blame their loss on a technicality and use TriggerHappy as a scape goat for their shame. I would say that the same cannot be said for everyone who was complaining, though. I have absolutely no need for the beta key since not only had I already downloaded the torrent and gained access to the Galaxy Editor, but I was also explicitly selected to participate in the beta testing so I was able to sign on BNet too.

My arguments were based on the rules of the contest, and my opinion of the rules still stands. I have been disappointed with the contest for months, and it has nothing to do with the outcome of the participants. As I said, some of our younger members may be a little whiny but don't start grouping everybody who was complaining about this contest together. I had, and still have, reason enough to be completely disappointed in this contest.

Also, almost every single member who participated in the contest is more active than TriggerHappy, so they have every right to be pissed off that he isn't doing his fair share of the work. Everybody completed their submissions in a timely fashion (though the contest wasn't setup very well to begin with) only to have to wait for twice as long for the spells to actually be reviewed.

Cokemonkey11

Code Reviewer
Level 29
I think that's more accurate berbanog. I already have a key, and was going to ask TriggerHappy to select a 4th place if I placed (which I didn't).

Some of us, including myself, submitted a map the day the contest was announced.

But even after all of that, I don't think that gives any of us the right to be disappointed with the contest. The rules are the rules and it wasn't our job to set them.

Status
Not open for further replies.