• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #17

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is more of a fun code learning environment than a contest, due to its low requirements, its short time limit, and its small prize. Each spell must adhere to the theme listed below, and to win, it should be executed well and take the main judging points into consideration.
Task
This contest's theme is

Surprise

The spell must surprise the user. Thus your caster should do unpredictable things, like teleport behind a enemy. For example: Blink strike, Windwalk, Santa coming out of a present (Thanks to Just_Spectating for the idea)
Rules
  1. All work should be done by the contestant and original to this contest, started after the contest started.
  2. Each contestant is only allowed one submission.
  3. The spell map should be unprotected so that code is readily accessible for marking.
  4. Imported material, beyond a dummy model, is strictly forbidden.
  5. Spells should support multiple levels, preferably an indefinite amount.
  6. The testmap should provide an adequate testing environment for the spell.
  7. Both Jass and GUI are allowed.
  8. If you use any third party tools, state them, and if they're obscure, provide a link. Note that WE Unlimited is not allowed.
    Third party tools include:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Helper
  9. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
    Examples of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
    • Particle System
    • Caster System

If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will generally be punished simply by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and a penalty in the related category.
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
  • Have a negative reputation or
  • Won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will be as follows:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
  2. Triggering (10 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal. Other important aspects include multiinstanceability and the like.
  3. Overall Aspect (5 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
  4. Visual effects (5 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
  5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 28 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points wins.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems Hall of Fame" (the list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 13 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 23th January (Friday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck and have fun!
~Hanky

Last edited:
Thanks Eccho =) but i really need to think of a new idea, the old one was like:
-passive(when your hero gets attacked)
-Than all happens in ~0.01 sec xD
-so "my" hero "travels" in circle from his position to position of attacker and back to his position, damaging the attacker (ofc)
-and there would be a nice "mirror image" if you have seen when some unit is so "fast" and it makes "images"
-I have an vision how it should look, i have all the calculations "done", but...meh.. D:

Level 13
Try to move a hero in a circle in 0.01 seconds :p giev highspeed timer^^
I'm also nearly finished, at least I think so :p didn't test it till now, since I can't find a good animation :/ tried a black portal on the ground, but it sucks q.q does anyone have a nice idea for an (many) animation(s) for something like a black hole? No it's not one, just the style of animation is needed xD I can't find an intresting good looking black animation for the floor, death and decay is used toooo often :/

Level 12
Try to move a hero in a circle in 0.01 seconds :p giev highspeed timer^^
I'm also nearly finished, at least I think so :p didn't test it till now, since I can't find a good animation :/ tried a black portal on the ground, but it sucks q.q does anyone have a nice idea for an (many) animation(s) for something like a black hole? No it's not one, just the style of animation is needed xD I can't find an intresting good looking black animation for the floor, death and decay is used toooo often :/

The begging of flame strike ?
I think it is suitable but it is kinda dry.

Level 13
No more creative guys one hive? :p Maybe I just have to wait xD but I think I'm gonna use the start animation of flamestrike in combination with some other small ones :)
Oh noooo^^ thought my spell was finished and I could spend time in the effects and a search for leaks... and now I tested it a bit more... the spell is MUI as long as long as it's casted on different units, but it bugs on a single one. Damn HSAS :/

Last edited:
Level 12
Still not sure what to do, REALLY bogged down with various research papers, reports, etc.

I might not submit this for this one, but if I ever get the time, I'll think up something really nice :D

Status
Not open for further replies.