• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Contest #12

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make a spell with the given theme, while considering the main judging points.
Task
This contest's theme is

Physical

The "spell" must be a physical ability, rather than a magical spell. This means that it should be something such as throwing a rock, slashing someone quickly, etc, and not a fireball, a blizzard, or such. Additionally, keep in mind that the spell should act like a physical attack in terms of Magic Immunity and Ethereal!.
Rules
  1. Post your own work only!
  2. Only one submission per user!
  3. Don't protect your map!
  4. The spell should have been started after the contest started.
  5. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
  6. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
  7. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
  8. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
  9. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.
  10. If you use any 3rd party tools, say what they are, and if they're obscure, provide a link!
    3rd party tool examples:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Helper
  11. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
    Examples of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
    • Particle System
    • Caster System

If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will only be punished by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and possibly a point penalty.
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
-have a negative reputation
-won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
  2. Triggering (10 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal.
  3. Overall Aspect (5 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
  4. Visual effects (5 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
  5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 28 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems hall of fame" (list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 11 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 6th April (Sunday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck and have fun!
~PurplePoot

Last edited:
Level 12
Physical eh?

Hm, this ones gonna be a bit tricky
I think I'm gonna try to make it AoE, cuz "target ability" is tough to do with immunes

EDIT

I got an idea, should be easy as I just did a system similar to it fairly recently, cept will be my first time doing terrain deformations

Last edited:
Level 12
I wouldn't say so

I would say that for just effects its all good
Just, a shot being fired that was lightning wouldn't

Level 12
Submit in this thread

I think I'm not gonna do anything with terrain deformations

My spell is called "Flying Drop Kick", and the hero throws the target in the air using TheForce, and then drop kicks him in mid-air (well with anims, probably just attack + alot of effects)

But, I wanted to ask if that was ok, because all the hero is doing is throwing the target, not really affecting him with magic, and then drop kicking him in mid-air, which I would say is a pretty physical thing

Level 12
Parabolas

I recently made a system that utilized parabolas + circles to create a crazy sideways-angled parabola, but it taught me alot about how the circles+parabolas should be made, and if you need any help with the equations, wouldn't be a problem for me

Usually, the system I use is based off of the distance between the points, and then an equation for the height, and from there the variables are defined

Level 4
OK, this is what I have for my Bladestorm variant: Tornado Slash

Caster effects are done, easily I might add, just by adding a cyclone model on it. BUT... this is what I'm intending... when the "caster" approaches an enemy, the enemy will be spinning around the "caster", taking damage roughly equal to Bladestorm, and then when either the enemy dies or Tornado Slash dies off, the enemy will be thrown in the direction that the "caster" was spinning in. Oh, and when I mean "caster", I mean the unit performing Tornado Slash

Level 40
My spell is called "Flying Drop Kick", and the hero throws the target in the air using TheForce, and then drop kicks him in mid-air (well with anims, probably just attack + alot of effects)

But, I wanted to ask if that was ok, because all the hero is doing is throwing the target, not really affecting him with magic, and then drop kicking him in mid-air, which I would say is a pretty physical thing
Sounds fine.

Level 12
April 6th

Damn, I've got like 2 days left, and I'm only half way through it

I got the movement code to kinda work(haven't completely worked it out), now I just gotta add special effects

Kinda pissed cuz I wanted to have that really cool fade effect for when units move really fast (like there are units trailing behind that are fading, looks like the matrix when the agents move really fast) I couldn't detect the movement speeds of generic units, would only look clean with a specified move speed timed with the animations ><

So, I'll just do like a knockback that can knock over trees and other units if it picks up enough speed, and the usual explosions + gore

EDIT

I wanted to perhaps ask for more time???
I got stuck on this one algorithmic function that I just couldn't get, really sapped my time before I gave in and got it offline

Maybe another 4-6 days before entries would be really nice :D

EDIT 2

heh, when I wrote that I thought only a few people were gonna finish, but everybody got it in on time

I'm ashamed with myself ><

Last edited:
Level 8
My Submission

I've rushed it up a little, but it looks good.
Credits to KaTTaNa for Handle Vars and to Vexorian for CheckPathability function.

Pound: Hero strikes at a target enemy ground unit with brute force, sending it flying, receiving damage upon landing.
Has a nice parabolic movement and such.

Attachments

• [HyperActive] Spells&SystemsContest#12.w3x
    19.3 KB · Views: 72
Level 13
Hm, my spell lost some speed while making the facing and movement animations, but I think it's ok, at least I can participate in the contest :razz:

Infinite Rush: On use happens nearly nothing, but when you come in range of units you'll loose the control over your hero. He'll search for random targets, rushs upon and attack them (very fast).

Also credits to Kattana for the Handle Vars :wink:

Attachments

• Spells & Systems Contest #12 Justify.w3x
    36.1 KB · Views: 248
Level 8
Yeah, right...
The thing is we've all submitted a bit late, so the spells weren't open to critics and such. Now that I think of my spell, I would have added a terrain deformation, when unit falls, so it is stucked in the ground for a few secs, a stun of some sort.
But what are you gonna do.

Level 13
Only 3 spells? ah anyway ill end up last. :(
Those 2 spells are good, i just find something strange in that(demon hunter):
sometimes it gets stuck on one unit and wont move to another, till that unit dies.
But what em i talking about its still 100x better than my.

HF -BR-

Hm sry about that, I just picked a random unit around him, doesn't want him not to attack the last one, think I should trigger the random better and give the last attacked unit a lower chance, but now it's to late :ugly:

Level 40
Quiet You! :p

Naw, I just kinda put it off then forgot about it, but here we go.

HyperActive - Pound
  • Idea: 2/5
    This is mainly a slightly changed knockback spell, and both knockback and throwback spells are not uncommon.​
  • Triggering: 9/10
    I suggest you look into vJass, since HandleVars are rather infamous for instability on some occasions with non-primitive types, as well as vJass allowing for speed bonuses. Also, I suggest you use less wrapper functions, but that's just a matter of personal opinion. (As in, ProjectX/Y, and AngleBetweenCoords, etc)​
  • Overall Aspect: 5/5
    Would work well in a varienty of games.​
  • Visual Effects: 5/5
    Simple but effective for the task at hand.​
  • Theme: 3/3
    Physical.​
  • Total: 24/28
    All in all, a fairly good spell if not with the best idea. Also, please remember to credit Shadow1500 for the Parabola function. (And HandleVars to KaTTaNa of course)​

Justify - Infinite Rush
  • Idea: 4/5
    While slightly resembling Omnislash, this skill is relatively original in many of its mechanics.​
  • Triggering: 8/10
    The main beefs I found against your coding were that you didn't give a JESP option for the animation index, and that you use bj_ghoul[510], which allocates 510 indexes (From what I have heard). Also, I suggest moving to structs or something - HandleVars are known to be unstable with anything outside of primitive types, and it is best to avoid bugs. Also, in your JESP I suggest having a 'level' parameter for the applicable ones so that people can devise their own formulae. Finally, GetWidgetLife is a lot shorter than GetUnitState with the UNIT_STATE_LIFE parameter.​
  • Overall Aspect: 5/5
    An epic AOE damage skill which would definitely work in a variety of games.​
  • Visual Effects: 5/5
    Totally awesome.​
    Yarr, it's pretty physical​
  • Total: 25/28
    Well done in general, but I suggest you look into vJass. Please remember to credit the appropriate authors of resources. (In this case, KaTTaNa for the Handle Vars)​

-BerZeKeR- - Earth Fury
  • Idea: 3/5
    It is not the best, just sort of a multi-level war stomp. I think a few games, including dota, have done something similar before. (Though the buff part added a nice twist)​
  • Triggering: 6/10
    You destroy locations in 'Fury' that are undeclared, and you don't need seperate variables for each location in each different trigger. Additionally, it could be simplified to one dummy via Unit - Add Ability, and I think you should be able to compress the whole thing into two triggers (One for the spell, one for the buff)​
  • Overall Aspect: 4/5
    The tooltip was not correct in the fact that it misstated the buff duration, but otherwise fine.​
  • Visual Effects: 4/5
    The visual effects suited the spell very well, but got a bit messy with lots of enemies (Due to mass shockwaves).​
    Definitely physical.​
  • Total: 20/28
    Try do think up something a little more original next time, watch out for tooltip errors, and try optimizing your triggers any more. Otherwise, good job!​

Level 12
Heh

It just hit me

You could've won this one if you made an insane spell that wasn't physical in any aspect xD

Level 12
Yeah, I didn't think that would slide

Oh, btw I can finally finish off my flying jump kick spell with that distance versus friction formula xD (force vs. gravity), I wanted to produce a ligit force throw that looked realistic

I'm gonna enter it on the regular spells section

Level 12
Mm, I liked hypers pound, although it definitely coulda used more effects, arcs are really plain and un-original

The infinite rush was pretty cool, I haven't really absorbed the code yet (laaazzzzyyyy), but I have to say I dislike spell maps where the hero doesn't pwn like crazy xD. But yeah, that was deserving

The Earth fury I have to say is REALLY cool for the amount of code put into it, great usage of buffs, spells, + dummies. I was impressed by this one, I agree with pp's 3 for idea, because it technically is just a suped-up stomp, but it is REALLY good xD

Status
Not open for further replies.