• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29

Its definite, I won't have time to finish my spell. I'm in 'First Robotics' and we're given 6 weeks to finish a robot. Tuesday is the last day. We're all pressed for time like freaken crazy.

Funny, I'm one of the team's three programmers.

Cool also im learning robotics :D
Can I swarm you with questions if I ever have :huh: :p

Level 7
Its definite, I won't have time to finish my spell. I'm in 'First Robotics' and we're given 6 weeks to finish a robot. Tuesday is the last day. We're all pressed for time like freaken crazy.

Funny, I'm one of the team's three programmers.

I hope theres another contest soon, I'm sad I missed this one.

Same, we finished ours last friday ^_^. I was our team's only coder, and the code existed of 1 line, and no autonomous.

I didn't submit because I thought the due-date was monday, not today. I planned to do the entire thing today :(

Level 11
There's always the Zephyr Challenge, which is due March 9, so you still have plenty of time to work on a spell :p

Sweet. Its very likely I'll take part in that contest! Now I need to think of a good idea.. hmm..

How you do that with one line ? something like

Turn to someValue*someConstant ? :eekani:

In FIRST robotics (and Tech) the robots come with a set of default code. It only takes one or two lines of code to take the joystick output and directly output it to the motors. Its incredibly more complicated if you wanted to do something like stick-shaping.

Level 7
I believe the line was something like call TankControl(1,256,2,256)
Which runs the motors at either 256 (full power) forwards or backwards when teh corresponding trigger is pressed forwards or backwards.

Level 29
Sweet. Its very likely I'll take part in that contest! Now I need to think of a good idea.. hmm..

Darn want too, my head is useless in the past few days, though, if you get what I mean lol.

In FIRST robotics (and Tech) the robots come with a set of default code. It only takes one or two lines of code to take the joystick output and directly output it to the motors. Its incredibly more complicated if you wanted to do something like stick-shaping.

Ah ok that explains it.
Whats this "first" robotics though ? you do not learn it as a subject in school ?

Level 7
FIRST is a yearly international robotics competition between over 8,000 high schools, trying to accomplish a specific goal. Teams have 6 weeks to build the robot from scratch, this year's robots were 28x38 (I think, i dont remember exactly) inches, and a maximum of 6 feet tall. The goal was to collect balls whih were held 8 feet in mid air, and then push them around a 50x30 track. Each lap around earns 2 points, moving the balls over their starting point (the 8 foot area) as they passed was 8 additional points, and ptting the balls BACK on their starting points when the game ended was 12 points.
This may seem easy, but the balls were 40 inches in diameter and aren't that light.

bomber7, whats you team number and what competitions are you going to?
My team is going to Davis and maybe San Jose (california)

Level 29
FIRST is a yearly international robotics competition between over 8,000 high schools, trying to accomplish a specific goal. Teams have 6 weeks to build the robot from scratch, this year's robots were 28x38 (I think, i dont remember exactly) inches, and a maximum of 6 feet tall. The goal was to collect balls whih were held 8 feet in mid air, and then push them around a 50x30 track. Each lap around earns 2 points, moving the balls over their starting point (the 8 foot area) as they passed was 8 additional points, and ptting the balls BACK on their starting points when the game ended was 12 points.
This may seem easy, but the balls were 40 inches in diameter and aren't that light.

Ah cool, my school has one team too. Looked a bit on their robot but didn't know untill now whats its supposed to do :xxd:

Guys, plz stop off topic ... is there any news about the contest ???

Offtopic is fun ! :p
And when purple will have news he will say them here.

Level 40
Hey guys, sorry for the delay, been busy because I'm just leaving for a week and a half's vacation later today. (This also means I won't be hosting another S&S Mini Contest for at least the upcoming Monday, and maybe the Monday after (I get back some time that day, not sure when))

Literally working on the spell marking right now. (I'll edit this post when it's up)

Martin Barbov - Elemental Chain
  • Idea: 5 points
    While the chain theme cannot be stretched as much as some other themes, this was certainly a very original chain spell.​
  • Triggering: 4 points
    In general, it was fairly well done, but it lacked MUI, and also may leak (I have a feeling Prev_target_pos has a chance to leak, if Current_Target < 5)​
  • In-Game Playability: 3 points
    It would work pretty well ingame, with balancing of course. (Right now the various powers of the elements were rather random)​
  • Visual Effects: 1 point
    A lot of the time it was hard to tell what was going on due to a lack of obvious effects, particularly on the chain (the buffs showed fine)​
  • Theme: 3 points
    Fits well into the 'Chain' theme​
  • Total: 16 points
    A generally well-done spell, though slightly more prominent visuals, as well as MUI, would be preferable.​

TKF - Chain Bomb
    Original and works well.​
  • Triggering: 4 points
    In general, it was fairly well done, but sometimes inexplicably it would hit your own guy, and sometimes it wouldn't, with no obvious correlation as to why.​
  • In-Game Playability: 2 points
    It kinda gets imbalanced when they have lots of clustered units.​
  • Visual Effects: 2 points
    Looked good (But fix the dummy shadows!)​
    Fits well into the 'Chain' theme​
  • Total: 16 points
    Pretty well done, but the chain effect could be a bit better thought out in terms of balance, and that bug is pretty bad.​

stryke - Volcano Blast
    Seems original.​
  • Triggering: 3 points
    The on damage system could be improved, the chain only works if you are near them (So I assume it is measured from your position), and that you have some weirdness in your code, for example, you destroy some groups twice, which could be fixed.​
  • In-Game Playability: 2 points
    Due to buggyness, it has some flaws.​
    Looked fine.​
    Fits well into the 'Chain' theme (when it works, anyways).​
  • Total: 15 points
    Decent, but fix those bugs!​

Global_idiot - Shield of Chain Terror
  • Idea: 4 points
    Blah, I'm iffy on this one, but plenty of "antiorbs" have been done, and standard chain lightning isn't the most special effect.​
    Leaks, and A Unit is Attacked should be replaced (Ever seen anyone abuse it?).​
    Would be a great support spell.​
    The effects suited the spell.​
    Fits well into the 'Chain' theme.​
  • Total: 15 points
    Pretty good. Look into leaks!​

Flame_Phoenix - Stun Chain
  • Idea: 3 points
    Has been done more than once before.​
    While the triggering was fairly clean, you should really look into timers; the intervals were very choppy, as well as the delay in between the impact and damage+stun.​
    Would be a good support spell.​
    The effects suited the spell.​
    Fits fine into the 'Chain' theme.​
  • Total: 14 points
    Not one of your best spells. Look into timers (as I suggested), and try to make some more original ideas next time)
    I had to pick one of your spells (at random), Flame. You're only supposed to enter one spell.​

I guess we'll have to vote for a winner, guys (Between the two 16s). Since I'll be on vacation for a while, the prizes will be awarded on the Monday/Tuesday (not sure which) that I get back, just over a week from today.

Last edited:
I feel I must say this:
So you gave more points to a spell (actually spells) that leaks, is not MUI and has lower playability (Some of them don't even wait for the unit to get hit, what if the unit dies before ? Bug ?!), than to my code, just because I didn't use timers to prevent a possible bug... even when my spell is MUI and leak free ... even when I prevent that same bug from happening, and even when some of them use TriggerSleepACtion as well... you gave them higher (or equal) score...

Although I agree with the spell's judgement over all, I can not agree with the Trigerring part... ever ...

Btw, if you find any orther chain stun spell, I would like to SEE it plz ...
I am not saying I would be a better judge, or even trying to teach anything, I am just saying I don't understand ... and don't agree.

EDIT
Your judgement though me a lesson in deed - crappy code with good idea = win, good code with not so good idea = lose, not matter the effort.

I still don't understand how people who wasted 2 hours with a spell managed to get Higher points ... if this is your definition of fairness, then you need to improve it.

Last edited:

TKF

TKF

Level 19
My chain bomb is supposed to damage friendlies, even the tinker if he stay to close, so that's intentional. You only hit yourself if you stay to close to the explosion. (The first scatter doesn't hit you)

But I totally forgot to remove the the dummy shadow. I should have removed it.

But I didn't expect to get tied with another guy for the win. I didn't expect for my simple spell to have a chance :eekani:

Level 6
Wow i we made a pretty good job, im proud on myself xD. ye i fucked with triggering i didnt evens set any variables for locations etc.(i made the spell in 2hours from idea to effect...) but it seems that we were pretty equal :)

Edit:
and who is the winner? :S

Last edited:
Level 6
I wote for elemental chain... because of good triggering, but personaly the spell effect seems odd to me... Phoenix: your spell with mana burn is good, the second with fireballs, there is a little delay when the fireball hits the unit and when the unit gets stunned. Dont get all angry because of the markings there is a plenty of contests coming, this is just a lesson that we two must improve :)

Well, about the delay, that is something that can be fixed by using the object editor, but didn't have the time I needed to test it.

About angry, well, I have reasons to. Although I agree in the fact that you, per example, had max value on the originality (I think it was a great idea in deed), I am angry because I feel the triggering part was not fair. And I think I know why PP gave me that crappy score (but I wont risk it telling it here)...

Besides that was probably a one-life chance for me, now school begins again and I won't be able to create any jass codes for a while.

Anyway, I wish you guys the best of luck in winning the contest. I am not angry at you or your opponent, so you need not to worry.

Anyway, have fun =) enjoy the prize

Level 40
But I didn't expect to get tied with another guy for the win. I didn't expect for my simple spell to have a chance
Complexity is not always better, and your spell worked nicely.

So you gave more points to a spell (actually spells) that leaks, is not MUI and has lower playability (Some of them don't even wait for the unit to get hit, what if the unit dies before ? Bug ?!), than to my code, just because I didn't use timers to prevent a possible bug... even when my spell is MUI and leak free ... even when I prevent that same bug from happening, and even when some of them use TriggerSleepACtion as well... you gave them higher (or equal) score...
While the spell you seem to referring to in question only got one more point of triggering than you did, the leak was minor if existant at all, so I didn't deduct a point for that, and merely pointed it out. Also, what bug would the lack of timers prevent? However, yours was the only one I really noticed the choppiness on.

As for the potential bugs with a unit dying prematurely, I have no idea which spell you mean, as I didn't notice this in any of them. So, which was it?

Btw, if you find any orther chain stun spell, I would like to SEE it plz ...
I saw my brother playing a witchdoctor hero in DotA months ago which had a chain stun spell.

Your judgement though me a lesson in deed - crappy code with good idea = win, good code with not so good idea = lose, not matter the effort.
Sort of, but it's more like "while triggering counts, it is not the only thing that matters."

There have been contests where triggering was decisive, and others (such as this one), where it was not.

And I think I know why PP gave me that crappy score (but I wont risk it telling it here)...
Fire away if you want, I won't punish you or anything as long as it isn't blatant flaming/trolling (and we all know what that constitutes).

Also, one last thing, even if your triggering score was awarded 4/5 you still would not have won, and I think it's fair to say that no spell in this contest deserved a 5/5 in triggering.

I should be back Monday night, so the winner (by votes posted in this thread) will be determined then.

While the spell you seem to referring to in question only got one more point of triggering than you did, the leak was minor if existant at all, so I didn't deduct a point for that, and merely pointed it out. Also, what bug would the lack of timers prevent? However, yours was the only one I really noticed the choppiness on.

As for the potential bugs with a unit dying prematurely, I have no idea which spell you mean, as I didn't notice this in any of them. So, which was it?

My code was 100% made by me, if that's what you want to know. Also, if a unit dies before it gets hit by the effect a bug will occur, the chain will continue. As for the spells, I speak in general. Most of them are not MUI, leak and do not prevent the bug, while mine does all that. Some of them even use Sleeps. This was a general comment. And if you evaluate them, you will see I am rit.
Also, what do you mean with chopy code !?

I saw my brother playing a witchdoctor hero in DotA months ago which had a chain stun spell.
Let's face it, we all know dota, but the stun chain you are talking about, has nothing to do with my spell. You can say it stuns units in a chain, and that's true, but the similarities end there. In dota a single unit can be hit several times by the same spell, while in my code I try to avoid that by using a global group, and taking advantage of a Blizzard bug (explained by WyrmLord in one of his tuts).
My real intention was never to recreate that spell. I just found it more attractive than making chain slow or chain frost (some maps in the spells section already have this spells).

Sort of, but it's more like "while triggering counts, it is not the only thing that matters."

There have been contests where triggering was decisive, and others (such as this one), where it was not.
So that's it, you guys prefer appearance and look over quality. While with decisions like that will give incentive to the newbs, the pro jassers you guys have will eventually leave because they feel ignored. Personally, recently I met one of the best jassers ever, and no one knows him... Go ahead, it seems that quality is not your goal.
Fire away if you want, I won't punish you or anything as long as it isn't blatant flaming/trolling (and we all know what that constitutes).

Although i really wanted to so so, because you were so unfair, i decided not to. Also, you are my friend, and I respect you. Although i will never know if the fact that we met before the contest changed the final results, that doesn't take me the right to have an opinion about the points, which I say were badly distributed.

Also, one last thing, even if your triggering score was awarded 4/5 you still would not have won, and I think it's fair to say that no spell in this contest deserved a 5/5 in triggering.
Then Why didn't you do so ?If my spell deserves 4/5 on trigger (not 5/5 because you wanted me to use damn triggers and I didn't ...) then you should give 4/5 to it.
My reclamation is not to force you to make me win, is to force you to take the fair decision. I don't mind losing if I know it was fair. Because I don't think you did things fair, i can't agree with the score. And if you don't give me 5/5 on trigger, then explain me, honestly, why others should have 5/5 or 4/5 as well... if they trigger way worse than me ...
How can some1 get more points by using GUI in triggering, if GUI is less efficient then JASS !? if GUI is a crappy shade of JASS ??

If you don't like the if's, or wanted me to use a formulae, you know how I am, I like ifs and I never use formulas ... however that is no reason for the score you gave me...

Level 40
Then Why didn't you do so ?If my spell deserves 4/5 on trigger (not 5/5 because you wanted me to use damn triggers and I didn't ...) then you should give 4/5 to it.
I wasn't saying I supported 4/5, I just thought you meant I was trying to sabotage you from winning or... something.

How can some1 get more points by using GUI in triggering, if GUI is less efficient then JASS !? if GUI is a crappy shade of JASS ??
I tend to be lenient with things in GUI that cannot be fixed in GUI (except MUI), otherwise it would be one of a few people who won every time (and that would be boring!)

So that's it, you guys prefer appearance and look over quality. While with decisions like that will give incentive to the newbs, the pro jassers you guys have will eventually leave because they feel ignored. Personally, recently I met one of the best jassers ever, and no one knows him... Go ahead, it seems that quality is not your goal.
You have to consider that, once ingame, many coding flaws will not be visible: this contest tries to take that into account, as well as the fact that it is partially a triggering contest.

About the dota stun chain vs yours, basically the difference I noticed was a different art, and damage vs no damage, which are both very minor. I'm not sure if that one could hit a unit multiple times (though it doesn't really change it much anyways), but they were both, in essence, stun chains.

Level 12
Dammit

I'm recooperating from an awful addiction to warcraft. I smashed my computer to get off it, now I regret it.

When I pull my sh*t together between school, work, friends, etc. I will see if I can handle going back to Warcraft

uhh, about the grading, there aren't enough people interested in this contest who use JASS, so there should be a handicap for GUI'ers, if there was like 50 ppl doing the contest, then I'd say learn JASS or leave

Man, I wish I coulda joined this one, I love multiple effects

A bit offtopic:I'm learning more and more about physics, and working on a 3D physics engine in Visual Basic (using a circle), heh JASS makes VB look retarded xD, lucky for me I get an easy 100 in my programming class

Anyways, I coulda put some pretty sick effects into quadratic arcs to make some insane effects

Level 12
No Offense

Flame I read over your posts, + PP's posts

I realize your trying your hardest to be polite, but it does come off as if your just fused that you didn't win

In my experience, coercement only makes the target angry, which makes the coercer angry, which goes back and forth until somebody gets pissed off enough to take action (smack in the face, ban, etc.)

If it was me I'd drop it and prepare for the next competition

Level 40
My chain bomb is supposed to damage friendlies, even the tinker if he stay to close, so that's intentional. You only hit yourself if you stay to close to the explosion. (The first scatter doesn't hit you)
As I said, to me anyways, it seemed like the actual impact was fairly random: I was occasionally decimated (you lose! :p) by it, and occasionally untouched.

Anyways, looks like it's 2-0 for Elemental Chain, so Congratulations, Martin Barbov!

Status
Not open for further replies.