• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
redscores, I have looked at you spell and it's nice, but I wonder; did you get your idea from me? My spell.
I also found a few problems in your spell.
1. The lightning effect is wrong way (also commented by spiwn).
2. The lightning doesn't support ground elevation.
3. The lightning doesn't support flying height.
4. It can get laggy because of the interval (0.03) and the effects that comes at the unit.

Level 21
It cannot get laggy, i tested it with 5 continous casts and it does not leak or lag, and no, i made my spell before your one. And how the hell do you want to make the lightning ground elevation supporting? Thats just a bunch of work, but the flying support will be added.

Fixed the stuff beside ground elevation support.

Level 23
Redscores that is indeed a nice spell... But still it would look better if you fix the z-height of the spell (I tested the spell from where you updated it, but you havent done anything with that)

Level 23
jm maybe I meant wnother thing. I meant that the lightning is not attached to the target... Its simply on the ground which makes it ugly...

Hold on Ill look again

meantthisoz2.jpg

This is what I meant

Level 5
@TheRebornDevil

but I wonder; did you get your idea from me? My spell.

but I wonder TheRebornDevil; did you get your idea from Darky29's spell 'Steal Gold' ?

Also, 0.03 second timers dont lag unless they leak like hell, or your comp is at least 10 years old with <256 mb of ram...

Level 12
@TheRebornDevil
Also, 0.03 second timers dont lag unless they leak like hell, or your comp is at least 10 years old with <256 mb of ram...

Lag caused by low timeout timers depends on CPU.
Ram will make difference only if you store in it a lot of things(like 20 newly created units).

Level 1
I'm rather new to creating spells, so I guess mine is a rather simple one. :grin: Basically it just steals armor from nearby units and adds it to the caster.

Attachments

• SSMC 14 - Armor Disenchantment.w3x
    16.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Level 17
Well, purification, if the skill is meant to steal armor from enemy units and give it to the caster, you've failed. I don't get any armor at all.

If the skill on the other hand was just meant to reduce enemy units armor, then you've failed utterly. This is easily done in object editor and in this contest you were to make a spell under the category "steal", not "reduce".

Also i don't notice the slow effect when attacking the caster, but i was too lazy to check that.

Try to fix it.:razz:

Level 12
Mine has a flaw(that I know of) - I couldn't find/think of any passive unit ability that increases/decreases damage by a fixed amount and has a buff.
For now I am using an Item ability with an aura for the buff, but the buff from the aura is removed slightly after the aura is removed.
But I will fix that one of these days.
P.s. Here it is very and I do mean very hot.
For me it is not about winning :p
To make spells for the S&S mini contest I learned a lot.
Last time I made my first steps in jass(with petty results) and for this one I turned to structs for the first time in jass.
There is still a lot of time.

Level 23
Redscores, do you mind if I base my OnDamage system in the same way as you have based your simple "attach" system you used?

It is not going to be completely the same though, I just must use it for one thingy =)

Poot: Am I allowed to? It is simply a way I've seen DSG use in his spellpack, so it is common to do that way than using HandleVars i think...

Level 12
Tested flat bonus, but didn't achieve what I wanted.(what is flat bonus exactly, for other abilities that give bonus damage in % usually you uncheck something that says %).
And Kodo's war drums is a command aura.

Level 17
Yes, kodos war drums is the same thing as command aura, i just thought that since u've checked command aura then another ability must have the flat bonus.
The flat bonus is basically that it increases damage by a specific amount, for example 5, instead of % of base damage. At least that's what i think.

Level 12
As I said: "didn't achieve what I wanted".
Thank you for telling me what flat bonus is.

Level 12
Command aura and everything that is based of it(trueshot, kodo's, neutral's cmd aura and whaever I cannot think of atm) have certain limitations. For this particular spell I would like to pass them ;)
I bumped:
JASS:
loop
      exitwhen i==SoulSteal_MAXU
      if(GetUnitState(this.uafe[i],UNIT_STATE_LIFE)>0.405) then
          if(GetUnitAbilityLevel(this.uafe[i],SoulSteal_DMRDS)==0) then
              call UnitAddAbility(this.uafe[i],SoulSteal_DMRDS)
              call IssueTargetOrder(this.dummy,SoulSteal_BO,this.uafe[i])//problem here
            endif
      endif
Yes, it is not complete. All the other things work.
Dummy unit is summoned, it is given the ability. But for some reason it will not use it. And yes SoulSteal_BO is the same string as the use turn on order string of that ability. And yes mana cost, cooldown, casting time, cast backswing etc all 0(no, duration is not 0; neither is casting range).
So, just bump for now :D

Level 12
That did not help :D
Anyway:
How do you determine those abilities?
Just to be sure, what are you supposed to give as a parameter for the integer ID?
P.s.
Yes targets are correct(forgot to mention that).
Also I can manually target units with the spell.

Level 12
The dummy unit is created and given the ability before the loop.
The ability that is given to the affected unit in the loop is another thing(that works).
The only problem I have is with the order.

Level 23
I once got a system by someone here which was determinating the orderid of every spell when you used it =) Feel free to check it out

And I believe DiscipleOfLife is right

Attachments

• OrderIdChecker.w3x
    16.8 KB · Views: 65
Level 24
Umm, guys.

At the start I said I was in. . .

Then i got sidetracked with a couple things.

A) Mah Map (Lizard Survival)
b) Mah Clan

Because of this I am dropping out.

What I was doing for my spell was one MASSIVLELY long GUI which just did a bunch of rather simple things:

Reduce MS
Reduce DMG
Reduce Armor
Reduce Life
Reduce Mana
Reduce Stats
Reduce everything else that you could think of

Also stole one ability from the target unit (still working on that part)

I kinda got bored with it though.

I also have started to learn JASS, hopefully in time to be proficeint with it on the next contest.

You guys have some epic spells.

Level 12
I believe you did not read my post.
As you have not read my post where I say "Yes, this is not complete." - as in not the whole code.
I guess Eccho was right from the begging.
IssueTargetOrder works fine, but the order string is the one of the spell I based it on, not the one I chose in the Object editor.

Level 23
HOLY CRAP... As Im a beginner to Jass and are just experimenting with structs I will not understand everything of that :> (like a small percent only). But I guess Poot or DoL or Redscores can help you (or some more well)...

...Looks kind of nice though, Im so stunned I could die.

May I ask, what is the difference of as example public/private/"normal" function?

Hawk: Thats sad that you're quitting now... Hence, I feel the same way. Im currently experimenting to make an efficient TriggerRegisterAnyUnit"Unit-specific" which I could use by my spell, but also make it usable by other triggers without creating too much conflicts. So while Im doing this, im not sure if my spell will be ready in time either :/ Ill try though

Berzeker: Yea it appears so many got so little time these days. Spiwn and Redscores has made some pure artworks though

Level 12
I do not fully understand the difference my self, but here are some really basic stuff(most of which I am uncertain):
'Normal' stuff can be accessed from anywhere using only its name:
library abv
integer i
function b blah
endlibrary
-----
set i=5
call b()
Public have to be accessed with the library/struct/whatever name
library abv
public integer i
endlibrary
-------
set abv_i = 6
Privete can only be called/referred only from that specific block(struct/library):
library abv
privete integer i
function b takes nothing returns nothing
set i=7 (I am very very uncertain about this)
endfunction
endlibrary
In this example using set i=8 outside that library wont work as i is restricted only to it.
I have not used this too often so syntax(of private stuff) may be very wrong.
I will now update the map ;)

Level 24
Ya, I agree that it is sad.

Presently though I am not sure if my skills are up to much besides making a massive brute force skill.

This is fine for map-making but for a spell competition I need to develop some more triggeing/Jassing skills.

Also I don't have that much spare time until next week. . .

lol. Bad timing.

Level 23
Aha thanks, thats very important to know for my experimenting:p

Hawk: Yea I guess, thats why Im uncertain if I should stay or not as well... But you know, there are lots of places where you can find about jass, structs, scopes, and such... Maybe till next contest._.

Level 12
The reason I used publics is for better implementation(what a word) when you rename the spell - you just use find and replace(replace SoulSteal in my spell, with whatever you want that has no special chars).

Status
Not open for further replies.