• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Contest #14

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make a spell with the given theme, while considering the main judging points.
Task
This contest's theme is

Steal

The spell must have an affect that not only harms an enemy in some way, but also returns an advantage from this to the caster and/or their allies. The best examples of this are Drain Life/Mana.
Rules
  1. Post your own work only!
  2. Only one submission per user!
  3. Don't protect your map!
  4. The spell should have been started after the contest started.
  5. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
  6. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
  7. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
  8. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
  9. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.
  10. If you use any 3rd party tools, say what they are, and if they're obscure, provide a link!
    3rd party tool examples:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Helper
  11. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
    Examples of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
    • Particle System
    • Caster System

If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will only be punished by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and possibly a point penalty.
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
  • have a negative reputation
  • won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
  2. Triggering (10 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal.
  3. Overall Aspect (5 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
  4. Visual effects (5 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
  5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 28 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems hall of fame" (list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 12 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 29th June (Sunday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck and have fun!
~PurplePoot

Level 24
True, but it is a very cool spell. . .

btw is the Theme Steal?

Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.

Cause it is hard to have a spell themed off of "steal". It is good for spell but not so much SFX.

Level 40
Eccho, if you're implementing an OnDamage system it's easy to code your own orbs, so of course it won't hurt you.

hawk, the effects of the spell, as in damage, healing, etc. In what way you apply the theme really depends on the contest. For example, with 'Evil' it's more about the SFX and spell idea (Since Fire, for example, also does damage), but with 'Steal' it's more about the spell's effects.

Level 12
Using an attack detection system, you can make all the orb effects you have coded stack with each other or any way you specify. So it will be MUI.

Have to get some good idea to make ;)

Level 23
Oh man. I guess I need help to code it to stack. Do you know how to do it >.>?

Edit: If someone knows a tutorial were I can read about it that would be great. I failed at finding it myself xO

Last edited:
Level 12
Even if not done with attack detection systems, with a base skill like Orb of Lightning it will still be MUI - every unit that has it will be able to use it.

Level 23
Why wouldn't it be MUI?

What I mean is that you can simulate orb effects (Other than the AttackDetect one of course) with the AttackDetect system you make.

Do you mean by a buff detection engine checking if the damaged unit has a "dummy buff"?

Also Im wondering... If you have let say two orb effects on a unit. What is it which is determinating which one who is used?
I mean, like the order they get them or something?

Ah my problem was also that I need a physical detection engine xO

Spiwn, isnt the fact that Orb of Lightning wont be triggered unless you press "attack" or rightclicking on the enemy? Its the same with Orb of Slow am I right?

I guess I have some time though to figure this out...

Level 40
Do you mean by a buff detection engine checking if the damaged unit has a "dummy buff"?
To make your own orb effects?

No, scripts in the attackdetect actions, checking if the damager has an ability.

Spiwn, isnt the fact that Orb of Lightning wont be triggered unless you press "attack" or rightclicking on the enemy? Its the same with Orb of Slow am I right?
Correct.

Level 12
I just gave that as an example stating that it does not matter if what is submitted stacked with other orb effects.

Level 22
I will enter, but I'm not 100% sure of what I will make that will fit with the theme "Steal".

Maybe a spell that steals items?

Edit: I have an idea now.

Last edited:
oooo... fu*k, i just started with the spell and i have this hudege problem... it is in loop, and it must reset some values... should probably just make a second trigger. But i wont give up jet! :p

edit:
oooo, crap(again) i need a new idea :S just cant make this work..
  • Dvastate
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Devastate
    • Actions
      • Set UnitVarCaster = (Triggering unit)
      • Set UnitVarTarget = (Target unit of ability being cast)
      • Set UnitVarLastUnit = (Last created unit)
      • Set CasterMS = (Integer((Current movement speed of UnitVarCaster)))
      • Set TargetMS = (Integer((Current movement speed of UnitVarTarget)))
      • Set TempLoc01 = (Position of UnitVarTarget)
      • For each (Integer A) from 1 to (10 x (Level of Devastate for UnitVarCaster)), do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Wait 0.50 seconds
          • Unit - Cause UnitVarCaster to damage UnitVarTarget, dealing (5.00 x (Real((Level of Devastate for UnitVarCaster)))) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of UnitVarTarget using Abilities\Spells\Undead\DeathandDecay\DeathandDecayTarget.mdl
          • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
          • Unit - Set life of UnitVarCaster to ((Life of UnitVarCaster) + (5.00 x (Real((Level of Devastate for UnitVarCaster)))))
          • Unit - Set UnitVarCaster movement speed to ((Current movement speed of UnitVarCaster) + (10.00 x (Real((Level of Devastate for UnitVarCaster)))))
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of UnitVarTarget using Abilities\Spells\Undead\DeathPact\DeathPactTarget.mdl
          • Unit - Set UnitVarTarget movement speed to ((Current movement speed of UnitVarTarget) - (10.00 x (Real((Level of Devastate for UnitVarCaster)))))
          • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of UnitVarCaster using Abilities\Spells\Undead\DeathandDecay\DeathandDecayTarget.mdl
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Life of UnitVarTarget) Less than or equal to 15.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Set UnitVarTarget movement speed to (Real(TargetMS))
              • Unit - Set UnitVarCaster movement speed to (Real(CasterMS))
              • Unit - Cause UnitVarCaster to damage UnitVarTarget, dealing 500.00 damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
              • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of UnitVarTarget using Objects\Spawnmodels\Undead\UndeadDissipate\UndeadDissipate.mdl
              • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempLoc01)
              • Custom script: set udg_UnitVarTarget = null
              • Custom script: set udg_UnitVarCaster = null
              • Custom script: set udg_UnitVarLastUnit = null
              • Skip remaining actions
            • Else - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Current movement speed of UnitVarTarget) Less than or equal to 150.00
            • Then - Actions
              • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of UnitVarTarget using Abilities\Spells\Undead\AnimateDead\AnimateDeadTarget.mdl
              • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for (Triggering player) at TempLoc01 facing Default building facing degrees
              • Unit - Add a 1.50 second Generic expiration timer to UnitVarLastUnit
              • Unit - Add Deva(stunnDummy) to UnitVarLastUnit
              • Unit - Set level of Deva(stunnDummy) for UnitVarLastUnit to (Level of Devastate for UnitVarCaster)
              • Unit - Order UnitVarLastUnit to Human Mountain King - Storm Bolt UnitVarTarget
            • Else - Actions

Last edited:
Level 23
It doesn't work at all D:?

Anyway Poot, it looks very empty in here. We so few at the moment who has bothered to show themselves >:
Maybe many has examens at this time, and are unlucky they haven't ended already like me...

Level 12
I will be more precise, after using the spell a lot, I killed the Mountain King and there was no more wc3 ;)
It is a good idea to reveal the map.

Level 12
I am too tired atm to think a lot, but I not one thing - strength is hard to steal.

Level 17
He was talking about my map, and my spell steals 1/2/3 attribute points of a random attribute from an enemy hero permanently. What he was talking about is what i think is sheer luck(or opposite?:con:), Since it uses 1 random number between 1 and 3. And i got almost no int when i tried it last time.

So, back to the point, it was i who "took" your idea, but if i understand your description yours is an buff over time, so they are quite different and i think you should complete your spell.

After all, my skill was pretty simple to make i found out:hohum:
I don't think it will take much to beat it.:xxd:

Level 22
My spell is nearly done, but I have 1 small problem.... I need an ability which can target an invulnerable/vulnerable structure that doesn't make it impossible for others to use the same spell on the same unit.. I have tried Aerial Shackles, but then the unit becomes "leached" on can't be casted on by the same spell until the last one is finished.

Help will be appreciated.

Level 12
People should get additional points for helping other participants :D
Wait, no. That way PurplePoot would always win :p

Level 22
I think I'll submit my spell tomorrow, but if I find any more bugs (already found 2) then I will probably wait.

There are still more than a week left... And you guys already seem ready o_O
Why this rush?
My spell wasn't so hard to make, so it didn't take much time.

Level 7
I think i'll find enough time to make a little spell - anyway, I'm not sure what the spell should steal :\

Btw: terradont, are you a female mapper? just a thought cause of your avatar :> If you're not, never mind :b

Status
Not open for further replies.