• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 40
Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

spellsandsystems.gif
Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #15

Introduction
The Spells & Systems Contest is more of a fun code learning environment than a contest, due to its low requirements, its short time limit, and its small prize. Each spell must adhere to the theme listed below, and to win, it should be executed well and take the main judging points into consideration.
Task
This contest's theme is

Traps/Wards

The spell must relate to a trap or ward-like unit; that is, a stationary unit which affects the area around it in some way. Examples include Healing Ward, Sentry Ward, Stasis Trap, and Goblin Land Mine.
Rules
  1. All work should be done by the contestant and original to this contest, started after the contest started.
  2. Each contestant is only allowed one submission.
  3. The spell map should be unprotected so that code is readily accessible for marking.
  4. Imported material, beyond a dummy model, is strictly forbidden.
  5. Spells should support multiple levels, preferably an indefinite amount.
  6. The testmap should provide an adequate testing environment for the spell.
  7. Both Jass and GUI are allowed.
  8. If you use any third party tools, state them, and if they're obscure, provide a link. Note that WE Unlimited is not allowed.
    Third party tools include:
    • WEWarlock
    • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
    • WE Helper
  9. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
    Examples of utilities:
    • Local Handle Variables
    • CSCache
    • Armor Detection System
    • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
    • Particle System
    • Caster System

If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will generally be punished simply by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and a penalty in the related category.
Entering
There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
  • Have a negative reputation or
  • Won the previous spells & systems contest.
Judging
Judging will be as follows:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
  2. Triggering (10 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal. Other important aspects include multiinstanceability and the like.
  3. Overall Aspect (5 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
  4. Visual effects (5 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
  5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.
Prize
A spell can earn a maximum of 28 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points wins.
The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems Hall of Fame" (the list of winners of this contest).
However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 12 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 24th August (Sunday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck and have fun!
~PurplePoot

Level 40
it will be very original i promise
Hehe :p

Weee! Can i make more traps? more than 1 (mby 2/3)?
Yes, but you can only submit one.

I will probably do WEB. I have an idea in my head it wont be so Eye candy but it will be useful.
I wouldn't if I were you, simply since it's been done enough (for example Azeroth Grand Prix) to not be particularly original.

Level 21
My Contest Entry: CHAIN TRAP

Description: Places 1 chain trap at the target point, if you placed before a trap the new trap will be connected to the old one, for triggering the traps cast the "Trigger" ability, the triggering will cause a explosion at each chain trap and will devour the ward, the explosion deals "25*Amount of Traps placed" to all enemies around the Trap. You can place a max of 2+(level of Chain Trap*1) Traps.

The Spell features no MUI or MPI, but infinite levels.

I hope you enjoy my spell and have much fun at trying to make a web of lightnings! :)

Screenshots are attached to the post.

Attachments

• ChainTrapExplode.jpg
    ChainTrapExplode.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 453
  • ChainTrapPlacing.jpg
    ChainTrapPlacing.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 401
Level 22
I'll join, but I'm not exactly sure about what I will make yet.

Edit: I have tested your spell redscores and I found something that I think should be fixed (look at the attachment).

Attachments

• yay.jpg
    yay.jpg
    861.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
Level 21
Oh godness kewl, dont you get it? Maybe you should thing about the words: CHAIN EXPLOSION, the wards get stronger if more are summoned, have you ever seen something like that in any games? haha, now you KNOW what original is, if it is something new.

And the wards are "chained" with lightnings. But oh well, I didn't expect that you get simple logic.

Level 13
Ok here is my entry: Ember

Description: Creates flames around the target point trapping enemies inside. When the flame circle is complete there is a huge explosion that sets enemies on fire.

Warcraft III Spells - Spell: Ember

*edit* tell my if it doesnt work, I tried to uptade the text description and then it went fucked up...atleast i cant dl it again

Attachments

• entry pic.JPG
    entry pic.JPG
    125.3 KB · Views: 231
Level 12
I saw this thread today.
I am going on vacation tomorrow, so I cannot spend much time on this :p
But I still managed to create something:

Spell name: Totem on Vengeance

Description(1/1 with the tooltip):

Summons an immobile totem at the target location.
If a friendly unit dies within 600 range of the totem, it is revived with 20% of its maximum healt and mana.
A totem can revive a limited number of units.
The totem is immune to magic.
Lasts 40 seconds.

Level 1 - 2 Charges.
Level 2 - 3 Charges.
Level 3 - 4 Charges.

It can prove useful in any game with traditionally dying units(melee(it would be quite useful there), RPG(it depends here), ORPG, AoS and etc).
Spell is simple, so is triggering(like 35 lines total). It uses only normal Jass.
So, I guess this will be final.
WIll be here to collect the reward ;-)

Attachments

• Totem of Vengeance.w3x
    15.1 KB · Views: 89
Level 22
redscores, I have actually seen spells like that before so it's not so original. And if I would make that spell I would have done it like you, but I would have created a maximum distance that the wards must be within to connect and if they get connected the damage would increase, but unconnected wards would have less damage or not explode at all. Because it looks very ugly when you have wards that are very far apart.

Level 21
Devil... how the hell would you detect a connection, and now leave it, it is my project, and I don't care what you have seen in your dreams or something, I have never seen such a spell, and poot said too it is very original.

So keep dreaming.

@Berzerker, this is a contest of spell creating, not balancing and btw, LastCreatedUnit leaks like shit.

My submission.
Have fun.
EDIT: thanks for the tip redscores.

Trap of the Infernal

Places a Trap of the Infernal. When an enemy unit activates the trap, Engulfing Flames will surround the unit and any other units around it and an Infernal will be called, dealng damage on impact, trapping the unit within the barriers of the fire with the Infernal. Takes 5 seconds for the trap to set.

Level 1 - 500 AoE, 50 Impact Damage, 5 seconds.
Level 2 - 600 AoE, 100 Impact Damage, 7 seconds.
Level 3 - 700 AoE, 150 Impact Damage, 9 seconds.

Attachments

• Just_Spec's - Spells#397C4B.w3x
    54.4 KB · Views: 70
Level 22
redscores, I just have to say this, and I promise you it will be the last thing I say about it. It's very easy to detect if your ward is connected with another ward and here's a few of the ways.

1. When you cast the spell "Trigger" you could first pick all the wards then detect if there are any wards in a specific radius around the wards which are picked.
2. Whenever you create a ward you could check if there are any wards nearby and if there are then add the wards to a group.
3. Almost the same as nr. 2, but instead of group you could add a classification to them.

And I KNOW I have seen spells which works the same way as your spell before. Maybe not on the hive, but on battle.net or a another wc3 site.

Level 12
Actually, the originality of redscores spell is in using traps at long distances( if it were at small(like >100) it wouldn't be very original, would it).
Simplest way to fix the lightning effect would be to use multiple effects(like 1 for every 500 distance or something).
A good idea would be to work on MUI-ness :p
You could also work on multiple trap chains per one unit, but that is up to you.
P.s. Here is one for you: How do you check if a unit has ward specification?
Only way I can think of is a bit laborious.

Level 5
Kewl, i've seen almost exactly the same thing as your spell in AoM, the Fire guys flame circle, which channels around himself, trapping enemies and damaging them over time, only difference is that you made it a ward instead of channeling..

Level 12
They are not finished, they have just submitted ;)
Well, I have finished, I will not have internet access for 2 weeks so I won't be editing it :)

Level 12
Damn, *would it be allowed if I* send my "spell" via textfile?

My computer is currently in pieces, and I might not get my hands on a functioning computer with war3 for a few years (unless this upgrade I'm doing on this other computer works properly, but that is very iffy)

As much as I like wards, it just hit me that there really isn't that many original ward ideas

Level 7
Whoop, very sorry. I was just passing through and saw the title Spells and Systems, and thought it was an appropriate place, so I whipped it up.

Sorry 'bout that, error made in ignorance.

Level 22
My spell is almost done, but I have some problems... My spell begins to lag heavily when there's no enemy units near it :(. I can't understand why. It makes no sense to me that it should lag when the GroupEnumUnitsInRange function doesn't pick any units.

Edit: YAY! I found the problem! It tried to destroy stuff that wasn't created when GroupEnumUnitsInRange didn't pick any units.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.