1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The poll for Hive's 12th Concept Art Contest is up! Go cast your vote for your favourite genie!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The raddest synthwave tracks were chosen - Check out our Music Contest #12 - Results and congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #13

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by PurplePoot, May 5, 2008.

1. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Welcome to The Hive Workshop's

[​IMG]

Spells & Systems Contest #13

Introduction
    The Spells & Systems Contest is a mini-contests due to its low requirement, time limit and prize. The aim in each contest is to make a spell that matches the specification included below. To win, you simply have to try your best to make a spell with the given theme, while considering the main judging points.

Task
    This contest's theme is

Double

The spell must follow two unique themes! Evil and Double-Edged Sword will be the themes to follow.

Double-Edged Sword: The spell must have an affect which has some penalty; for example, a damage spell may damage you too, or a healing spell might also heal the enemy.

Evil: The spell must relate to evil/dark magic.

Rules
    1. Post your own work only!
    2. Only one submission per user!
    3. Don't protect your map!
    4. The spell should have been started after the contest started.
    5. Do not use custom sounds, icons or models that boost your spell's effects!
    6. Your spell must support multiple levels (at least 2)!
    7. You cannot use WEU's advanced functions!
    8. The test-map should provide proper testing of the spell (low cooldown, many/respawning creeps, etc...)
    9. Both JASS and GUI are allowed.
    10. If you use any 3rd party tools, say what they are, and if they're obscure, provide a link!
      3rd party tool examples:
      • WEWarlock
      • Grimoire (and/or JassNewGenPack)
      • WE Helper
    11. You may use utilities (that do small jobs), but no large do-it-for-you systems.
      Examples of utilities:
      • Local Handle Variables
      • CSCache
      • Armor Detection System
      • Vector System

Examples of large do-it-for-you systems:
      • Particle System
      • Caster System

If you break the rules, you may be disqualified from the contest, but minor offences (Such as an imported model/icon) will only be punished by the ignoring of them (as if it didn't exist) in the scoring, and possibly a point penalty.

Entering
    There is no specific required entry method. Just say you wish to enter, or post your spell when it's finished. Whatever works for you.

You can not enter this contest, if you
    • have a negative reputation
    • won the previous spells & systems contest.

Judging
    Judging will follow a formula:

1. Idea (5 points) - Originality and execution of the idea is the goal.
    2. Triggering (10 points) - Making efficient, leakless, and simple (as possible) triggers is the goal.
    3. Overall Aspect (5 points) - Making sure your spell is easily understandable (tooltip, not overcomplicated) to the average player, as well as having a practical use in x game type is the goal.
    4. Visual effects (5 points) - Making a nice-looking (but not too complicated) effect, while not hugely hindering the spells playability value (excepting spells with this theme, such as a spell that masks the screen for enemies of the caster) is the goal.
    5. Theme (3 points) - The better the spell matches the theme, the more points you will get in this category. ex: A black hole looks like 'Evil' (judging by the models) magic, but it doesn't really fit 'Evil', so that would get a low rating should the contest theme be 'Evil'. A Death Bolt spell, on the other hand, would score a high rating.

Prize
    A spell can earn a maximum of 28 points. It's simple, the contestant with the most points will win.
    The winner's prize will be 10 reputation points, and earn a spot in the "Spells/Systems hall of fame" (list of winners of this contest).
    However, the winner cannot participate in the next contest.

You have 13 days to work on and submit your spell.

The deadline is: 18th May (Sunday), 00:00 GMT.

Good luck and have fun!
    ~PurplePoot

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  2. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    heheh poot, finally made it huh.. i see no one posts.. i think you should put these into the contest forum...

btw im IN and will win

3. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I might move it in and out of the Contests forum (to provide a redirect link) if it doesn't get much activity.

4. Justify

Justify

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Awww bad I won the last one because this is an amazing theme :>
    Poot I think you have to do somthing, in the last one there were only 3 spells and this one doesn't seem to get better

5. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well, if this doesn't pick up in a few days, as I said I'll link to it in the Arena. Otherwise, there is not much that can be done.

6. GhostWolf

GhostWolf

Resources:
    Tools:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm still trying to think of a good spell D:

7. raft_pl

raft_pl

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm in... I'll try my chances with The Mighty Guyz With Many Repz And Postz.

@Ghost
    This theme is really inspiring, i got my idea almost right after i read about the contest :p

8. donut3.5

donut3.5

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I have multiple good ideas, I just don't know if I'll have the time. Damn you AP tests I need to study for!
    --donut3.5--

9. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    I'm in :wink:
    Actually almost done, but haven,'t posted up to now.
    The idea of such a spell came to me about 5 days ago( along with lots of others for my current project). As soon as i saw this thread (am new to THW, and dind't know of any contests let alone this one) I picked one that fits the theme and started working.
    Now I need to add some more special effects, make tooltips and fix some leaks.
    Edit: Btw you should change the contest number in the first post( I think).

10. raft_pl

raft_pl

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    A probably stupid question, but since its my first time at a contest and its not written in the included rules - do the spells have to be MUI...?

11. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    No, they do not :wink:
    But that will decrease the score you get. So it is better if it is MUI.

12. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    sorry spiwn, but the spell has to be started at the start of this contest, not already made, read rule # 4

13. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    And mine has been started after I saw this thread :smile:
    The only thing I have done before the start of the contest is having came up with a base idea, that I intended to develop into its final form months from now. And I have no idea when i was going to sit down and make the actual spell.
    I see no wrong in this. As one can take even take a spell concept already existing(lets say from Dota, Enfo, etc ) and make it work from scratch. Then he will be able to enter, but wont get points for idea.
    And if you still say that this is started before the contest. Then i will submit by the end of the week(will try for later today) thus working on my spell less then the contest duration.
    And in case you still say I can't enter. I will have to come up with a different concept and and implement it in what I have done since I started working on the spell early morning Tuesday May 06, 2008, 12:38:39 AM.
    P.s. I am unstoppable :wink:
    And btw interesting scoring. One can make a perfect spell, never before thought of, flawless triggering, stunning effects, yet simple, as fast and unlaggy as possible and understandable from onle look at the tooltip(theoretically). But it has nothing to do with the theme. Maybe he will just change the name of the spell to something connected with the theme. And he will get 25 points out of 28 !??

14. Just_Spectating

Just_Spectating

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    well anyways, im going to post a demo of my spell. id like some criticism and such. im not done of course.

Attached Files:

15. Ripoff

Ripoff

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome spell, but the spell is kinda confusing, the tool tip just say it corrupts people. You should update the tool tip at least

16. marven15

marven15

Resources:
    Resources:
    hmmm... I feel like joining lol... Though I am still thinking of a spell... I'll join if I an idea will pop out of my mind. XD

17. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No, if you did not follow the theme at all, you would be disqualified (for obvious reasons). That section relates to how strongly your spell fits the theme (Basically, a 0 on theme means you're disqualified).

Besides, even if that was true, why throw away three points?

18. spiwn

spiwn

Resources:
    Resources:
    That just came to my mind(was not intended to cause any offense) :smile:
    Hypothetically, would be interesting(maybe even funny :wink:) if the "almost-perfect" spell I mentioned won when it has no connection to the theme :razz:

19. Troll-Brain

Troll-Brain

Resources:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Can i use my own system as an example of how to use it, in this case make spells with it ?

20. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    No offence taken ;)

Yes, it would. But if so, the person would almost definitely have won anyways.

Not if it basically does everything for you (like Caster System, reducing your spell to a few lines), and was made before the contest.