• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[FINISHED] Spells&Systems Mini-Contest #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
On a sidenote, Disciple becomes the first person to have won more than once! Congrats to him!

Not gonna pretend here, but I think DiscipleOfLife's ridiculous triggering skills makes this challenge hard as hell ><

I got really good at triggering (or better at least) for JASS, but I don't like vJASS because I think I figured out how structs work, and it could be re-created in regular JASS easily, without using HandleVars (which I also hate using)

I'm probably gonna switch to vJASS when I get good at it, but for the moment, would it be bad if I used global arrays + a data system for my spells? or would that count as using unnecessary space, or is this the wrong place to ask altogether? (or perhaps that was a dumb question...)

Level 12
Yeah, but what about a heros regen... like +11HP per second, would be a little conflicting if you changed it...

Level 12
For dummy units I meant.. If you set it to -100 and they have 100 life, its the equivalent to giving them a 1 second expiration timer.
--donut3.5--

Oh that is very good, far far better than using expire timers

I'm gonna start using that method henceforth

I'm thinking I'm gonna stop making spells for the most part, because I started to understand data, data systems, hash tables, etc. and for the kinds of upper-scale spells I wanna make, it would require me to do an extensive amount of code and data

like things for adding FX to attacks, I'd probably use a data system + an enters map event, then set global arrays based off some kind of data system that coordinates between the units ID [I have a fairly crappy one atm that works, but leaks strings like nuts, which I was thinking I could fix with a small VB outside program] then all kinds of code to use the data, like the Degree_Arc function I made recently, I simply do not trust vJASS and their pre-made DD + PUI systems

Level 12
Congratulations DiscipleOfLife :)

Not surprised at all with my poor triggering, am just new, but learning.

Level 6
Congratulation DoL! XD

I am satisfied with the points that I got. ^^ XD I promise that i will follow your advices PurplePoot. ^^

Level 29
For dummy units I meant.. If you set it to -100 and they have 100 life, its the equivalent to giving them a 1 second expiration timer.
--donut3.5--

It is not as it kills the unit instead of removing it (ruining the coolness of the spell).
That is, unless you make a trigger that takes a unit that died of your dummy type and remove it, which destroys all the point of it.

Congratulations DiscipleOfLife.
You all stop using GUI and expect to make MUI abilities, FOOLS !
Now go learn Jass and vJass and make awesome spells. This is an order !

so what i'm a n00b GUI user... so this makes my spell the worse?
Some people dont just g33k in notepad++, and spend the whole day in front of PC...eeeh it doesn't matter, Dol grats from my side.

Level 29
so what i'm a n00b GUI user... so this makes my spell the worse?
Some people dont just g33k in notepad++, and spend the whole day in front of PC...eeeh it doesn't matter, Dol grats from my side.

This doesn't have anything to do with notepad++. About being a geek and spending the whole day on a computer, you said g33k - now lets see who spends more time -.-

Now for the matter, "learning" Jass is simply learning the basics of programming (functions, locals, blablabla), which is one of the... eh... easiest things ?
This should take you about 1 hour to master. Then for the oh-so-hard-syntax, you have function lists (or you can browse through blizzard.j and common.j).
Not to mention that the names of about 99% of the functions describe what they do (for example, I always wondered what KillUnit(unit value) does, can you tell me please?).

And no, I didn't say your spell is bad or anything about you, but it is a fact that a code in Jass and further more vJass will always be better then GUI (unless the coder is an idiot which then would have made also the GUI crappy which means that this is a useless comment).

Level 40
I'm always more lenient with GUI than with Jass, due to the lack of Jassers here, and thus the marking is different. A 'Jass' spell which was, in fact, converted from a GUI that would earn 10/10 would probably have trouble earning 5.

Notice how no GUIers got punished for BJs, etc, because they are unavoidable in it.

And you don't even have to have learned GUI first. They both take time to learn, and one is eminently more useful. The problem is that most haven't heard of it until long after they start, and also that programming is not for everything (But then again, neither is GUI).

Level 27
It is not as it kills the unit instead of removing it (ruining the coolness of the spell).
That is, unless you make a trigger that takes a unit that died of your dummy type and remove it, which destroys all the point of it.
Expiration kills, doesn't remove instantly..
And Poot just said killing is better than removing :p
--donut3.5--

Level 9
I just tested and found out that Kill+Remove triggers death events!

JASS:
call KillUnit(whichUnit)
call RemoveUnit(whichUnit)
vs
JASS:
call ShowUnit(whichUnit, false)
call SetUnitExploded(whichUnit, true)
call KillUnit(whichUnit)

If that death event thing is the only buggy thing with RemoveUnit, I'd say the first one is better.

Level 12
Wait.... the remove unit causes a leak, somehow??

Who figured that out exactly, because it doesn't seem to make sense to me

The only thing I can think of is if your using data systems that need the unit to die to clear the leaks, then, yeah the KillUnit() fires the death event, and the remove unit clears it from the game (skipping decay rate)

Status
Not open for further replies.