• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spells & Systems Mini-Contest #17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Oh shi... Lightning again?

Dingo, buff ideas are nice, but chance could mess it up alittle if used with "on damage" systems, and is basically horrible in GUI.

So, to expand your idea, what about "synergy"?
The contestant must create two spells, somehow affected by each other. Example: Drunken Brawler and Beath of Fire.

Ok, sounds good but you also may point this is pretty limited then.

Level 9
I've got a proposition, since you guys seem to be really far from the final decision :p
How about combining the ideas given by redscores, spiwn and Nidd? Mechanical combination-test... Would be kinda challenging to fit these three conditions.

A new theme you guys want?

Hmm..

Will EDIT later..
Thinking. . .

[Lethal] - Damage over time that is lethal (Shadow Strike, Doom, flame strike debris damage, etc.)

[Kaboom!] - Maybe already done but.. Anything that goes BOOM!

[Insanity] - either the hero goes insane, or you cause enemy units to go insane, (running in random circles, attacking friendly units, Out of control +100% dmg/atkSpd)

[Survival Technique] - Some spell that keeps the hero alive. (Blink, Windwalk, Burrow, (dota's weaver: Time Lapse), phase shift, shadow meld, etc.)

[Deceit] - Fools the enemy (illusions, disguises, look like an ally but really your not and you nail an easy hit, meh.. etc.)

[You have been Marked!] - Mark a target enemy, making friendly units gain some kind of positive reaction upon attacking it. (so if you mark the enemy, they gain a buff, All allies who attack the marked unit gain 10% life steal on attack, or something.)

[Touch me and Die!] - Buff some allied unit and attackers gain some negative reaction (sort of like the opposite of "You have been Marked!")

[Sacrificial] - Sacrifice an allied unit for the ability to occur (Dark Ritual, Sacrifice, unleash a units inner soul creating a riff of demonic energy to corrupt nearby enemy units like a fan of knives, etc.)

[Activation] - Set an ability, buff or w.e on a unit or on the ground, w.e and unleash the power only when activated. (Remote Mines, etc.)

[Hanky Time!] - Hanky picks a certain ability that contestants must manipulate in the spell in some way.

Last edited:
Level 15
Lets not worry about the next contest till this one is over.
Anyway, I have some ideas!
Medieval Time! - Contestants create a spell that is likely to have been possible during the medieval times. The spell should probably be something brutal (smash the guy till he gets a brain concussion) and not too magical if possible.
Replace Blizzard - The host of the contest decides a spell/a hero from normal warcraft and contestants attempt to create a better version of the spell/one of the hero's spell.
Complete the hero - The host creates a hero with some basic stuff like primary attribute, model and maybe story. Contestants attempt to create a spell for this hero.

Thats my ideas.
PS: -BerZeKeR sure has lots of spells -_-

Level 14
Well it took me some time but finally the reviews are finished.

Squiggy - Destinys Gift
  • Idea: 5/5
    The spell idea is really nice.​
  • Triggering: 4/10
    The triggering was nice but you had some flaws in your code. For example you got some leaks in your code and also you used a function that is just effectless. Also please debug your spell, if you cast the spell directly at the icon of your hero then just the missile appear but it don't move or explode.​
  • Overall Aspect: 5/5
    The tooltip and icon fit the spell very good. Also the documentation is ok. This spell will fit in nearly all kinds of maps.​
  • Visual Effects: 4/5
    The visual effects are nice, but maybe you could attach a teleport effect to the targets and an explosion effect for the missile.​
  • Theme: 3/3
    The spell fits the theme very well.​
  • Total: 21/28
    A really nice spell. I like the idea very much, too bad that you had so many flaws in the triggering.​

The Reborn Devil - Fall Of Men
  • Idea: 4/5
    Well, the idea is kinda funny. But in my opinion it's nearly the same like starfall.​
  • Triggering: 9/10
    The script is well made, but it would be better if you would have a global group and location so that you don't have to create and destroy those handles all the time. Also a time recycler would improve the performance a bit. Also you should know that if you got no filter it can create leaks.​
  • Overall Aspect: 4/5
    Well this spell could be used in many maps, but you should add some documentation, like how to import your spell. This spell could be used in many kind of maps.​
    The visual effects are ok. But they could need some more love. Maybe it would look better if you add a effect when the soldiers touching the ground, like a big blood explosion or something that shows how hard the soldiers touch the ground.​
    The spell fit the theme well.​
  • Total: 24/28
    A very nice spell, there could be improved some small things, but I think everyone should give this spell a try.​

NiddHogg-kun's - Fiery Roll
  • Idea: 4/5
    The spell is a good idea, but I already saw some spells like this, so the idea is nothing new.​
  • Triggering: 7/10
    Good use of GUI, but you should add a check if the caster move above the maximal map bounds to stop the spell and it's not needed to nullify integers. Also I found two possible location leaks in the trigger "Fiery Roll Loop".​
    The tooltip is short and got all neccessary informations and also the icon fit the spell very well. But you should add some more documentation. This kind of spell could be used in neary every map.​
  • Visual Effects: 5/5
    The visual effects were really nice.​
  • Theme: 1/3
    I think the spell don't fit the theme good.​
    You did a nice job, but next time try to fit your spell more to the theme and also look out for leaks.​

scorpion182 - Finale Strike
  • Idea: 3/5
    The idea is ok, but I saw spells like this very often.​
  • Triggering: 8/10
    The script of the spell is good but you forgot to nullify the struct variables. This could cause memory leaks. Also the loop in your spell could be optimized, instead of getting everytime the x and y of the caster, you could use locals which get those values one time, this could improve the performance.​
    The tooltip fits the spell very well and also the icon is well made. The documentation is ok too. This spell could be used in many maps as ultimate​
  • Visual Effects: 3/5
    The visual effects are ok but I think while the unit starts to raise up you could add some effects and also you could let the caster and target fall down faster than they raised up.​
    The spell fits the theme well.​
  • Total: 22/28
    A really good spell, just the effects and code need some more love.​

xxdingo93xx - Power Bash
    A very good and new idea.​
    Very good code with some small flaws, for example you don't need to clear the hit group, because "GroupEnumUnitsInRange" will clear the group automaticly.​
    The icon and the tooltip fits the spell very well. The documentation is fine, even though you noted that your spell uses GCU System which it actually doesn't. This spell will fit in nearly all kind of maps.​
    The visual effects are well made, found nothing to improve.​
  • Theme: 2/3
    The spell fit the theme just halfway.​
  • Total: 26/28
    A very cool spell in my opinion, I really liked the idea of this spell.​

Paladon - Rockfall
    A good and neat spell idea.​
  • Triggering: 10/10
    I don't see any single flaw, good job. Maybe sometime you will optimize the GUI code with some Jass or vJass.​
    The tooltip and the icon fits the spell very well and also the documentation is very well done. This spell will fit in nearly all kind of maps.​
    The visual effects looking really nice.​
    This spell fits the theme perfectly.​
  • Total: 28/28
    You did a good job, your spell is nearly perfect. I just can hope that you will continue spell making and by the way, congratulation to you, you won this contest.​

Zack1996 - Drunken Brawler
    A funny and nice idea.​
  • Triggering: 7/10
    The triggering could be more effective. For example you could turn off the periodic trigger during the spell is not in action, this would save some performance. Also you don't need to nullify always the tempunit global.​
  • Overall Aspect: 3/5
    The tooltip and icon fit the spell good. But there is no documentation. This spell will fit in nearly all kind of maps.​
    The use of visual effects could be improved, for example when the caster disappear you add a effect like smoke or something.​
    Your spell fits the theme well.​
  • Total: 22/28
    A nice spell, I really like the idea of your spell.​

Palaslayer - The Tenth Art
    A nice spell idea.​
  • Triggering: 6/10
    The triggering is sometimes not effective enough. For example it's not needed to nullify integers and also you got one location leak in your code.​
    The icon fit the spell good and also the documentation seems to be ok. But the tooltip is just too short. This spell will fit in nearly all kind of maps.​
    The use of visual effects is ok.​
    This spell fits the theme totally.​
  • Total: 23/28
    A really nice spell you made, you just have improve your coding skills.​

Justify - Dark Rift
    A really neat spell idea.​
    The script is almost perfect, but the condition IsUnitType need to have a ==true or ==false otherwise there could maybe appear bugs.​
    The icon and tooltip are ok. Also the documentation is well done. This spell will fit in nearly all kind of maps.​
    The visual effects look really neat, just the texttags don't look nice. But well, that's not your fault.​
    This spell doesn't meet all certain qualifications.​
  • Total: 27/28
    You coding skills are really good your spell is almost perfect made.​

Mago_Goo - Illusion Split
    The spell idea is nice.​
  • Triggering: 2/10
    The script is full of leaks, there's no need to nullify integers and also your spell isn't really MUI.​
    The icon and documentation is ok. But the tooltip got some small flaws and also you should mention somewhere that you use UnitData and that your spell use UMSWE. This spell will fit in nearly all kind of maps.​
    Nice use of visual effects.​
    This spell fits the theme well.​
  • Total: 18/28
    You have to improve your coding a lot, but well you still do a good job.​

BerZekeR - Black Arrow
    The spell idea is ok.​
  • Triggering: 8/10
    The triggering is ok, but you should try to make your spell MUI or at least MPI.​
  • Overall Aspect: 2/5
    There's no documentation and the tooltip is kinda too long. But the icon fits the spell well and your spell will fit in nearly all kinds of maps.​
    The use of visual effects is ok.​
  • Theme: 1/3
    In my opinion the spell don't fit the theme at all.​
    A good and easy spell, too bad that it don't fit the theme. Also for the next time please also make the demo triggers leakfree.​

redscores - Desert Ant
    A neat spell idea.​
    It would be better if you use a formula for the multi-level instead of if-then-else and you could maybe nullify these handle arrays at the end of the spell, apart from that I found nothing wrong in the code.​
    There is not enough documentation and also the tooltip give to less informations. The icon fit the spell very well. This spell nearly fit to all maps.​
    The use of visual effects is really neat.​
  • Total: 25/28
    If I understood the rules correct systems like DOT aren't allowed to use. But still your spell is really nice made, good job.​

Dynasti - Wild Spikes
    An original spell idea.​
    The script of your spell is really nice, I found no big flaws till now. But I remind you that the condition IsUnitType need a ==true or ==false otherwise there could appear bugs.​
    I found nothing wrong there. The icon, tooltip and documentation is really nice made. Also this spell will be useable for many types of maps.​
    Nice use of visual effects, not too less and not too much.​
    The spell just fits half-way the theme.​
  • Total: 27/28
    A truly good spell, the use of visal effects and the script is really nice made, too bad that your spell doesn't fit the theme totally.​

DiscipleOfLife - Wind Wrath
    A nice and orignal idea.​
    The script is almost perfect. You just don't nullify the struct, which could lead to memory leaks.​
    The icon and documentation are fine but the tooltip is kinda too short. The spell will surely fit in all kinds of maps.​
    I really liked the use of effect, good job there.​
  • Total: 26/28
    A nice spell with some small flaws but this spell is truely well made.​

Congratulation to Paladon and thanks to all other contestants.

Last edited:
Level 17
Congratulations, Paladon! I knew you would win! :)
But that doesn't mean the other contestants made their spells for nothing now and they lost, I can say nearly all spells which were created here are good for everbody. You can post them in the spell section to impress others and win their hearts! ^^
Ok, I just have made an advanced List:

Number of
Persons with......reached Score.......... Contestant
this score
1.............................28......................Paladon
2.............................27......................Justify, Dynasti
2.............................26......................xxdingo93xx, DiscipleOfLife
1.............................25......................redscores
1.............................24......................The reborn Devil
1.............................23......................Palaslayer
2.............................22......................scorpion182, Zack1996
3.............................21......................Squiggy, NiddHogg-kun, BerzerkeR
1.............................18......................Mago_Goo

Level 23
Woah, that was very close. Congratz Paladon :D

Hanky you stopped the exitement by saying that paladon won, at the end of that part of the spell review:p. It is fairly judged though, so I am not compaining at all.

Good job everybody=)

Level 22
Congratulations, Paladon!

Hanky said:
Maybe it would look better if you add a effect when the soldiers touching the ground, like a big blood explosion or something that shows how hard the soldiers touch the ground.
I thought that the death animation would be enough and too many effects can cause lag.
I have uploaded a newer version of this spell in the spells section which have knockback and it can lag if used on too many units. There was also a weird bug in the newer version which should have been in the one I submitted here, but it isn't :cgrin:
For some unknown reason the knockback system that I added to it interfered with the calculation of the falling speed, so the new version doesn't have acceleration on the z axis.

Level 14
Justify said:
Does anyone know what can happen? Never heard about it o.o

Just look there WC3Jass.com :: View script - The Lamest Bug ever. (Found the link there: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=80693)

The_Reborn_Devil said:
I thought that the death animation would be enough and too many effects can cause lag.

Sure it will maybe cause lags, it was just a suggestion. I just think that there should be an effect that show how hard the units falling down. You can also use other effects like for example that the unit acclerate in the air and when the unit touch the ground the ground begin to shake.

Last edited:
Level 9
Normally I'd whine about a moderator getting the win, but luckily Paladon's spell actually deserved to win :)

By the way Hanky, could you elaborate what you meant with "nullify the struct"? Last time I checked struct variables were integers :O.

The script is almost perfect. You just don't nullify the struct, which could lead to memory leaks.​

Level 10
Congratz Paladon!!!
No doubt you're the winner, your spell are very great!
Congratz everyone for finish the spell!!!

well, I'm the last, but it's ok, i just want to show my skill to public, but it's not going well...

can you guys post your spells? i dont want to look around this thread to find them, i really want to see them!
this is the link of my spell
that's outdated. you can find the updated spell here

edit:
xxdingo93xx, my name is Mage_Goo

Last edited:
Level 23
All spells are found here if you dont want to look through everything. Let me quote Hanky's thread at some pages ago:p

Ok I will try my best to rate the spells as soon as possible. There you got again the list of all submitted spells.

Submitted Spells:

Name: NiddHogg-kun
Spellname: Fiery Roll
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ni-contest-17-a-113443/index3.html#post973172

Name: Squiggy
Spellname: Destiny's Gift
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ni-contest-17-a-113443/index4.html#post976265

Name: Dynasti
Spellname: Wild Spikes
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index14.html#post981453

Name: redscores
Spellname: The Desert Ant
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ni-contest-17-a-113443/index9.html#post979478

Name: -BerZeKeR-
Spellname: Black Arrow
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index12.html#post980597

Name: scorpion182
Spellname: Finale Strike
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index13.html#post980998

Name: Paladon
Spellname: Rockfall
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index16.html#post982765

Name: Palaslayer
Spellname: The tenth Art
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index15.html#post981687

Name: Mage_Goo
Spellname: Illusion Split
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index15.html#post982518

Name: The_Reborn_Devil
Spellname: Fall of Men
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index15.html#post982578

Name: Justify
Spellname: Dark Rift
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index17.html#post984067

Name: DiscipleOfLife
Spellname: Wind Wrath
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index17.html#post984467

Name: Zack1996
Spellname: Drunken Brawler
Link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...i-contest-17-a-113443/index16.html#post983796
Ok since I don't know if I should rate the spells which was submitted after the deadline. I think the best would be that the other participants decide if the submissions get rated or not.

Submitted Spells (after deadline):
Soon more...

Level 30
paladon i have to kill you for something...

# Overall Aspect: 4/5

The icon fit the spell good and also the documentation seems to be ok. But the tooltip is just too short. This spell will fit in nearly all kind of maps.

omg zomfg rofl mao ! never open your ear to the advice of you! -.-

You´re free to check the 16th S&S Mini Contest, i got 4/5 there for having a too long tooltip.
And your tootltip had the same length. So i just gave the advice "shorten it".

Thanks to everyone else ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.