• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Special-Texturing Contest - The Fantastic Adventurer UI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
the%20hive%20workshop.png

Specialex.png
texturing.png
contest.png

7fccb985162a624901d27c67741b5deb.jpg

UI work is the courtesy of Mike(Creative Mints) from Pinterest.

The Fantastic Adventurer UI

Design a full game UI in a general fantasy adventuring setting.
Materials for the frame background could be parchment, stones, wood, iron, steel, bronze, copper, etc.
Possible decorations could be anything that fits an adventuring theme: potions, swords, shields, arrows, bags, tools, compasses, scrolls, etc.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• The UI should fit a general RPG theme without any particular focus on a certain climate.
  • The UI must fit a fantasy setting.
  • The UI must have at least all 6 of the primary elements (UITile01, UITile02, UITile03, UITile04, InventoryCover, TimeIndicatorFrame.
  • The UI must be made from scratch and specifically made for this contest. Submissions of existing work are not allowed.
  • Derivative works are allowed as long as there is a significant amount of changes applied to make it look unique and recognizable. Recolors of existing UI are not allowed.
  • The UI must follow the rules for resource submissions on Hiveworkshop.
  • If you enter for the prize money, you must have a working Paypal account.
  • You must submit your final entry to the Skin resource section and make a post in this thread declaring it your final entry and include a link to the resource section.

prizes.png

• First Place: 150$ (Sponsored by Zwiebelchen), 150 Reputation points, your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 100 Reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 50 Reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Zwiebelchen
  • Mr. Vacant

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Execution
Overall artistic quality of the entry/7

Uniqueness
The idea behind the entry/3

Completion
If your UI contains all secondary UI elements beyond the big 6 aswell/5

• The winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s)
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on July 11th, 2017 and conclude on October 10, 2017, GMT

tips.png

Results

Last edited by a moderator:
This will be a separate contest and will be titled accordingly.

Currently looking for additional judges here.

Usually in texturing contests, we go by these criteria not what's listed on your post:

Shading
Does the unit fit into the WCIII lighting environment? Is the source of light consistent? Does the unit have a realistic 3D shape enhanced by the shading? Is each individual part shaded according to the material?/30%

Concept
Does the design of the unit suit the model it is wrapped on? Has the author come up with creative ways to change parts of the model into something new? Does the unit fit into the style of WCIII?/40%

Details
Does the unit appear blurry and bland in-game? Are the details appropriate and realistically placed? Are the materials in use easily recognized?/30%

• 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
As for rep, given the money prize, I think that something like 15 10 5 rep for top 3 should suffice if you're intent on keeping it.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Looks interesting. But I don't have a paypal account :( (the prize is juicy)
If your home country is part of the EU, I can also directly transfer the price money free of charge. If you live outside of the EU, unfortunately, Paypal is the only option for me.

@Heinvers: These rules only work for units. I don't think they could easily be applied for something like a UI - but feel free to make suggestions here on how to reword them.

@~Nightmare yes but he also offers money. So I think that's a good compromise.

I think we can ditch the public poll and make it 100% judge score. After all, this is a Special Texturing Contest not a regular one.

Not having something with the public but an UI isn't that easy to triangulate even if we tend to consider it just a skin.

@Zwiebelchen ?

We need to sort this aspect out before it can be moved to the main Arena section regardless of the starting date.

Last edited:

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
@~Nightmare yes but he also offers money. So I think that's a good compromise.

I think we can ditch the public poll and make it 100% judge score. After all, this is a Special Texturing Contest not a regular one.

Not having something with the public but an UI isn't that easy to triangulate even if we tend to consider it just a skin.

@Zwiebelchen ?

We need to sort this aspect out before it can be moved to the main Arena section regardless of the starting date.
Sure; I changed the submission to be 100% judge.

About the dates: Basicly, I want this to be 1 month from start to finish; the dates would have to be adjusted depending on when this actually starts.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
I like the idea of the contest.

It is common for Hive contests, that the resources are uploaded to their specific resource sections,
might want to add that to the rules.
Unless you meant that this is a contest paid by you because you want the resource for your own project alone....?

It's your money and therefore your decision, but how about splitting it up a bit?
Like, 100$ for first place, 50$ for second place.
That way, at least the second place would get a bit too for his entry.

Just a suggestion, your money, your call.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I just thought it would be fair if the winner takes it all. But if people like it, I can split it up.

And no, the intention for this was not to hog the results. The winner is allowed and encouraged to upload it to the Hive's resource section.

I still need at least another judge on this before we can start.

Moy

Moy

Level 49
It started today (July 11) but on the op it is July 5. I am most likely 70% can't join too busy at work. But the cash prize is triggering me to join (want to buy something out of it), but I don't have a paypal and I am living in Asia. :xxd:

Good luck to whoever joins and hoping for some exceptional entries!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Holy cow, another 'actual-prize-money' contest. How crazy. And $150!? That's pretty intense money to throw around for something. o_O

It's weird that we don't have any UIs in the database that aren't dedicated to some certain tileset or race. I hope this content will create some UIs that are more broad in their possible uses.
I mean, making a UI has always been a singularly challenging task, meaning that very few people just "do it for fun". That means it only gets done when it's "truly needed", and that's often when someone has a specific project & a specific drive. In the world of Warcraft modding, more often than not that's true for a specific race.

*cough* Jungle Trolls *cough*.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
It's regular texturing. The easiest way to start is to extract one of the 4 default UIs from the wc3 MPQ and see how it's constructed. There are 4 major parts to this, a replacement texture if no inventory is present and the texture for the time indicator at the top of the screen.

If you don't like the monetary reward, I can always donate it to Hiveworkshop in case you win.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Is it fine to have a cursor added or it isn't?
Adding additional elements beyond the big 6 main textures (like a cursor, move/attack/stop icons that match your UI, etc) will give you bonus points in the final judgement. But it's not per se required for an entry.

And yes, unfortunately, Paypal is a requirement. Every other method of transferring money internationally is sketchy business imho. With Paypal, nobody gets screwed over.

Level 2
Guys im looking at the goblin UI as a reference and I dont understand, why is there an extra blp for the TimeIndicatorFrame but the UITile2 already has the timewheel in it too?
Is that a bug in the goblin ui?

Someone should also explain how to make the timeindicator in general, like there is an mdx involved??

Yes it is. What is certain however, is that it's set in the Medieval period. The rest is up to your imagination :]

Design a full game UI in a general fantasy adventuring setting.
Materials for the frame background could be parchment, stones, wood, iron, steel, bronze, copper, etc.
Possible decorations could be anything that fits an adventuring theme: potions, swords, shields, arrows, bags, tools, compasses, scrolls, etc.

This is what it can contain.

Status
Not open for further replies.