- Mar 9, 2009
Contestants are required to write a speculative, short, high-concept prose story, in a science fiction setting. "[Space operas are] a subgenre of speculative fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space, generally involving conflict between opponents possessing advanced technologies and abilities. The name has no relation to music; it is analogous to soap operas. Perhaps the most significant trait of space opera is that settings, characters, battles, powers, and themes tend to be very large-scale." [ ]
- The entry must be at least 2000 words, and may reach a maximum of 10,000 words.
- The entry must be written in the third person.
- Absolutely no plagarism.
- All entries must be written in fluent English, illegible entries will be disqualified.
- The entry must abide by the theme.
- The story must be written in prose, focusing on the overarching theme and grand scale.
- At least one WIP (Work In Progress) must be presented before the deadline.
- The story may NOT be derived from preexisting works of literature/art by any author, including yourself.
- First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
- Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
- Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
- Let us know if you would like to judge
80 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
- Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
- 15 for Style
- 10 points for theme
- 10 points for pacing
- 10 points for creativity and originality
- 5 points for eloquence
This contest shall begin on August 10th and conclude on September 11th at 23:59 GMT 0:00
The contest will close on the deadline as long as we have 3 entries. Or extended roughly until at least 3 entries are submitted (if contestant 3 and 4 submit within a few hours/day of eachother, we'll include them too of course!)
The contest has been extended.