• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #8 - Knife-edge [Lack of activity]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
BOO!
My first WIP.
- Are you insane?! You knew that she could die! What kind of protective sister are you if you keep on trying to kill her?!
- Mother, I wasn't... I haven't knew that...
- You haven't knew that such behavior will cut out both of your heads, right? - Faye screamed out in Natalia's face.
- Would you take a deep breath for me? Maybe stop yelling at my face for no reasons? You know that I would give my life for her, and that I am never a type of person who tries to kill her own sister. - she said silently, yet, the words were as sharp as a butcher's knife. Faye took a deep breath.
- Okay. Maybe I overreacted, but I still think that she is not old enough for such... monstrosities.
- They are not monsters! They are just people with... with... issues. - Faye laughed at Natalia's attempt to hide her expressions towards her working place.
- Oh, and they just love to cut the heads of the cute little bunnies, don't they?
- It's not like I am going to... Wait a minute, how you know about that? - Natalia raised her left eyebrow. - Have you been searching through my computer?! - she yelled. Faye smiled.
- It's in today's newspapers. There are also stories that they have been exposed to some sort of nuclear testing. A word or two from you about that would be nice. I care about you, you know? - Faye's smile faded away, to be replaced with concern and worries.
- I... I'm not allowed to share secrets on what we do in there. But just to keep you off my head, it's true that they are killing people in there. Criminals and mafia members, mostly. - Natalia said the last sentence really fast, as an answer to Faye's shock. - But it's not like we are doing something bad. We are just cleaning the world from... bad people.
- I never thought that a Cereal Production company would hide nuclear secrets. And we eat that shit every day. - Faye frowned. - But how do they do it? Radiation exposing?
- Hunters inject it directly in a prisoner's veins. Death comes after 24 hours, or sooner, if the victim is younger. Best death you could imagine - fast and painless. But there is a prize we have to pay. Exposure to radiation ourselves - Natalia said to Faye's questioning face. - If we get in contact with the prisoners, we can get a portion of radiation injected in our own blood. Any portion of it results in death. It multiplies itself - she explained.
- Any contact? Oh dear. Well, I do hope that you learned your lessons, young girl! Your sister could had some of that for herself, by accident! - Natalia smiled at Faye's motherly protection.
- Don't worry mother. I kept an eye on her during all day. Only when I had to go to take the reports, she was alone with Irene, my assistant. Now, what's for dinner? - she followed her mother towards the kitchen.
A young girl, not older than fifteen years, ran up the stairs and silently closed the door of her room. She slowly raised her left arm towards the sunlight. A deep cut was clearly visible.

Level 22
BOO!
My first WIP.
- Are you insane?! You knew that she could die! What kind of protective sister are you if you keep on trying to kill her?!
- Mother, I wasn't... I haven't knew that...
- You haven't knew that such behavior will cut out both of your heads, right? - Faye screamed out in Natalia's face.
- Would you take a deep breath for me? Maybe stop yelling at my face for no reasons? You know that I would give my life for her, and that I am never a type of person who tries to kill her own sister. - she said silently, yet, the words were as sharp as a butcher's knife. Faye took a deep breath.
- Okay. Maybe I overreacted, but I still think that she is not old enough for such... monstrosities.
- They are not monsters! They are just people with... with... issues. - Faye laughed at Natalia's attempt to hide her expressions towards her working place.
- Oh, and they just love to cut the heads of the cute little bunnies, don't they?
- It's not like I am going to... Wait a minute, how you know about that? - Natalia raised her left eyebrow. - Have you been searching through my computer?! - she yelled. Faye smiled.
- It's in today's newspapers. There are also stories that they have been exposed to some sort of nuclear testing. A word or two from you about that would be nice. I care about you, you know? - Faye's smile faded away, to be replaced with concern and worries.
- I... I'm not allowed to share secrets on what we do in there. But just to keep you off my head, it's true that they are killing people in there. Criminals and mafia members, mostly. - Natalia said the last sentence really fast, as an answer to Faye's shock. - But it's not like we are doing something bad. We are just cleaning the world from... bad people.
- I never thought that a Cereal Production company would hide nuclear secrets. And we eat that shit every day. - Faye frowned. - But how do they do it? Radiation exposing?
- Hunters inject it directly in a prisoner's veins. Death comes after 24 hours, or sooner, if the victim is younger. Best death you could imagine - fast and painless. But there is a prize we have to pay. Exposure to radiation ourselves - Natalia said to Faye's questioning face. - If we get in contact with the prisoners, we can get a portion of radiation injected in our own blood. Any portion of it results in death. It multiplies itself - she explained.
- Any contact? Oh dear. Well, I do hope that you learned your lessons, young girl! Your sister could had some of that for herself, by accident! - Natalia smiled at Faye's motherly protection.
- Don't worry mother. I kept an eye on her during all day. Only when I had to go to take the reports, she was alone with Irene, my assistant. Now, what's for dinner? - she followed her mother towards the kitchen.
A young girl, not older than fifteen years, ran up the stairs and silently closed the door of her room. She slowly raised her left arm towards the sunlight. A deep cut was clearly visible.

Stop screaming in my face for no reason*

Mother, I wasn't, I didn't know that*

Good WiP.

On a different note I don't know if I'm going to do this one, I'm, obligated to many other, well obligations, and don't have much solid story or inspiration. Maybe I'll work up a WiP later.

Level 11
Stop screaming in my face for no reason*

Mother, I wasn't, I didn't know that*

Good WiP.

On a different note I don't know if I'm going to do this one, I'm, obligated to many other, well obligations, and don't have much solid story or inspiration. Maybe I'll work up a WiP later.

Me too, i doubt i will ever have time to make this, not only that i lack inspiration but i also don't have time to make it

I kinda feel ashamed now because i should have thought better about this before signing :|

Level 18
I think Apheraz is right. IMO the contest started to suddenly, the theme isn't much good (to write stories for, which is what this is all about) and it can both be found in the fact that we're at about 2/3rd of the contest time and we have an awful lack of entrants/WiPs. We should really discuss the theme of the next contest better before starting it. No offense, TWIF.

Level 22
I think Apheraz is right. IMO the contest started to suddenly, the theme isn't much good (to write stories for, which is what this is all about) and it can both be found in the fact that we're at about 2/3rd of the contest time and we have an awful lack of entrants/WiPs. We should really discuss the theme of the next contest better before starting it. No offense, TWIF.

Yeah, I was going to say something, but I made myself look like an ass in the last contest for saying the theme was stupid...

We should have broad themes like, Horror, Mystery and Suspense... When you make a theme this complex it limits the distance you can go with your story.

Level 11
Yeah, I was going to say something, but I made myself look like an ass in the last contest for saying the theme was stupid...

We should have broad themes like, Horror, Mystery and Suspense... When you make a theme this complex it limits the distance you can go with your story.

It's true...this contest was also one hard to understand in my opinion...I sign up thinking i understood the theme and i planned an idea only to see that my idea had nothing to do with the actual theme :D
And yes, i totally support those broad themes...they are the best in my opinion

Level 22
I think the theme is a bit too sophisticated and the people stumbled upon the style of the story, rather than the story itself. But yeah, eventually, they did show interest in it.

Sophistication is (of a person or their thoughts, reactions, and understanding) Aware of and able to interpret complex issues; subtle.

This implies we are unintelligent. I think the theme limits the story in every way, you don't write Literary Fiction on purpose, it happens by accident. It's something you have to stumble upon. This theme contradicts itself in every way, and I have no idea what to write, my current idea seems to suspenseful...

I don't think you could write something like this with a good amount of premeditation. At least I couldn't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stranger_(novel)

ಠ_ಠ

Level 30
Well, since we started this, let me draw you away my side of the story:

Knife-Edge theme is good. It's quite interesting, refreshing and unique.
However, Realistic Literary Fiction is killing it completely.
Now, not everyone is capable of injecting a dose of tension in the story.
More than half of the ones that are capable, can't because of the realism request.

But I guess everything's alright. This is hard, but you can't learn on easy things.

Level 22
Well, since we started this, let me draw you away my side of the story:

Knife-Edge theme is good. It's quite interesting, refreshing and unique.
However, Realistic Literary Fiction is killing it completely.
Now, not everyone is capable of injecting a dose of tension in the story.
More than half of the ones that are capable, can't because of the realism request.

But I guess everything's alright. This is hard, but you can't learn on easy things.

Well, I had to reformat my computer recently, so it really pains me to say this but I'm out guys. I'll have all my required tools reinstalled for the next SSC contest though.

Good luck to all contestants, I'll be watching you! :ogre_hurrhurr:

Think about it before you agree to host it as the contest then. most of you said lets do it.

Pharaoh_, they said they liked it almost instantly, most of the initial responses were : yes!

So let me get this, you complain about how loose the theme is but then complain again when the theme restricts you?

I. Don't. Understand.

Look, you voted in the theme, I didn't say it was perfect, it was your choice.

I assume if we don't get enough entries we will extend and then if not then, we will cancel.

Level 18
Whoa. Nobody is trying to offend you TWIF, so there's no need to defend yourself either. For as far as I understood, some people (myself included) just think this is a complicated theme. The opinions of what should be done differently next time are similar, but not all the same (obviously). I didn't read the thread where people agree that this is a good theme, so I just believe you and think those people should consider reevaluating their criteria for a good theme with the next selection thread. So no harm to anyone, just ideas for the next time.

Level 5
You guys chose a horrible time to have this contest.

Many universities had finals last week. This week, many schools and public colleges have finals.

We have priorities, you know...

Level 14
TWIF - Considering the theme is harder, if you are more familiar with this genre, maybe you can find some texts/stories so the contestants can read them and feel inspired by them. Maybe you know some movies which do it right?
Though they have to be posted on the internet or at least in digital format, and not "go buy this book, great book".

Should rise the quality and people could get a starting point.
Of course when someone doesn't want to do something, he simply won't do it no matter what. But at least give it a shot.

Level 14
Read some Proust, Voltaire?

Johnathan Franzen if that is your cup of tea?

I'm not participating on this one. Never said I would. Didn't involve myself in choosing the theme either.
I'm just thinking you can post some direct links to some work as reference for the other contestants who seem to have a problem finding inspiration. You could edit the first post, write something at the end like "Reference Links" or something.

Level 18
It's a nice theme, but why is it #1 if this is #8? You get 0/20 points for pacing LOL

Also, it's going to be hard for me to participate during that period of time. Holiday ends on jan 2 and the next starts in april. Barely any time for me left in between to write anything I'm afraid.

Level 17
Only just heard about it xD i agree with traxamillion. Or we could just postpone the competitioni to a more suited time frame where there will be more people online with alot of time. The Theme is very open

Status
Not open for further replies.