• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SharpCraft World Editor Extended Bundle

SharpCraft WEX Bundle v0.1.3.1
World Editor Extended is the successor to the Jass NewGen Pack. It is updated to work with the newest editor and includes the main features that JNGP had.

To use this, simply use the SharpCraft.Launcher and launch the "Warcraft III - World Editor (WEX)" profile or use the included "World Editor Extended.exe" to launch it directly.

Keep in mind that this is a work in progress. There are still several features missing. Features will be added in as time allows it and as they are requested. Some features might never return because the original developers are gone.

SharpCraft can be discussed in the hosted project subforum.

Semi-Complete Feature List
  • JassHelper, a vJASS compiler, that replaces the internal world editor compiler completely. No more crashes from bad code and many more features through vJASS.
  • Trigger Editor Syntax Highlight (TESH), a code syntax highlighter for the Trigger Editor, that makes coding in JASS/vJASS a breeze.
  • Grimoire Extensions (Grimex), a library of tools that extend the functionality of vJASS giving it the ability to create new objects(units, items, etc.) and more.
  • Increased/Removed various limits, like the number of doodads, destructables and more.
  • Object Id dialog, that allows you to manually set the object id when creating a new object. Want to make a hero peasent? Just copy the peasent, and when the dialog asks, just change the first letter to upper case, and he's ready.

Changelog
Code:
v0.1.3.1
* Updated to WE 1.29.0
* Updated TESH function database to have new natives ( thanks to @Abovegame )
* Fixed crash with ObjectDataExtractor when it couldn't locate Java, instead it will simply disable itself silently.
* Attempted to shorten paths, to avoid crash due to long path names.

v0.1.3.0
* Updated to WE 1.29.0 PTR - This is very experimental and have been done hastily. It should work with vJass/Wurst and TESH. Other features have been removed since they're now included in the vanilla editor.

v0.1.2.9
* Updated to WE 1.28.5

v0.1.2.8
* Updated TESH, to fix a rare bug where it would crash the editor.
* Added WurstScript experimentally, use at your own risk. WEX will not keep the same update cycle as WurstScript, so you will have to update it manually if you encounter bugs.

v0.1.2.7
* Added fix for the File Importer.

v0.1.2.6
* Updated to WE 1.28.4
* Fixed up SharpCraft to work with new editor executable name.
* Fixed up WEX to work with new editor executable name.

v0.1.2.5
* Improved extended settings with -window and -opengl options.
* Included the option to launch with a special WEX profile. This does nothing yet, but will in the future.

v0.1.2.4
* Fixed window names for TESH so it works on all languages automatically.
* Added more no-limits features, like steep cliffs and a wider range of terrain heights.

v0.1.2.3
* Updated to WE 1.28.2
* Added support for -loadfile and other parameters directly.
* Replaced TESH with TESH 2.0
* Fixed various issues across versions, should work perfectly for all supported versions now.

v0.1.1.2
* Fixed issues with enabling disabled triggers with vJASS code or missing init function.
* Added menu entries for JassHelper.

v0.1.1.1
* Updated with support for WE 1.26 and 1.27b. !!THIS IS EXPERIMENTAL!!
* Fixed a mistake introduced last update that might've made things unstable.

v0.1.1.0
* Added fix for Test Map. You can now get back to mapping!
* Updated Extended Editor Settings (allow local files)

v0.1.0.2
* Updated to WE 1.28.1 (still works for 1.27b, 1.28)
* Fixed Extended Editor Settings for Increased Map Dimensions, so 480x480 maps are back on the menu!

v0.1.0.1
* Updated to WE 1.28 (still works for 1.27b)
* Updated Extended Editor Settings (increased map dimensions)
* Fixed up Grimex(ObjectMerger, etc.)
* Improved menus a bit and removed some unused stuff.
* Removed various stuff like all the default profiles and some stuff that shouldn't have been included.

v0.1.0.0
* Initial release.
* * JassHelper
* * Trigger Editor Syntax Highlight
* * Extended Editor Settings (nolimits, custom object id, etc.)

Known Issues
Version Status
  • 1.28.5 - Tested and fully supported.
  • 1.28.4 - Tested and fully supported.
  • 1.28.3 - Skipped!
  • 1.28.2 - Tested and fully supported.
  • 1.28.1 - Tested and fully supported.
  • 1.28.0 - Tested and fully supported.
  • 1.27.1 - Tested and fully supported.
  • 1.27.0 - Tested and fully supported.
  • 1.26.0 - Tested and fully supported.
Test Instructions (for those interested in helping)
  1. Start the Editor
  2. Create a new 480x480 map
  3. Test the map to make sure test map works
  4. Open the Trigger Editor, make sure TESH is present, and add the following custom script somewhere
    1. Script to add: //! external ObjectMerger
    2. Save the map and make sure it comes up with an error about ObjectMerger arguments
  5. Open the Object Editor and create an object, making sure the object id dialog pops up.
The SharpCraft WEX Bundle should not be redistributed! The Hive Workshop is the only official source for the SharpCraft WEX Bundle!
Contents

SharpCraft WEX Bundle (0.1.3.1) (Binary)

Reviews
StoPCampinGn00b
Approved. One of the best and most essential tools a Warcraft 3 modder can have. 5/5!
Level 3
Sorry im new with this tools. Can someone tell me where is the window that i can chose/add diffirent tile from other tileset. Many thank

Level 9
strg + F1 doesnt bring up the selected objects sheet in the object editor, thats kinda troublesome, is there another key combination to do this in this editor?

also the paths for "open map" and "import model" are shared, what means that if u have saved ur models in a diffrent folder than u saved ur maps u always need to re navigate there after importing a model or reopening the map. nothing too big of a deal just time consuming

Last edited:
Level 2
Blizzard has changed file system of game folder. Thats why WEX will never work on patches 1.30+, because it uses mpq-archivers (they have been replaced by CASC). It will kill modemaking for the newest versions of the game.

Level 15
Blizzard has changed file system of game folder. Thats why WEX will never work on patches 1.30+, because it uses mpq-archivers (they have been replaced by CASC). It will kill modemaking for the newest versions of the game.

So it wont be 'fixed' anytime soon then? That would suck, because working with the normal 1.30 editor is almost impossible. Any ideas on how to revert to 1.29?

Level 8

It's clearly an strategy to centralize custom map making. It will surely don't kill the scene and i doubt it's motivated to achieve that, unless devoting attention to Warcraft III with, as of now, continious upgrades (1.29, 1.30), while of course paying the developers, paying the overall cost of opportunity (why not devoting more resources to Overwatch/Hearthstone?) a strategy to actually lose money, consumers and overall influence.
Also, there are scheduled (most likely) new WorldEditor upgrades and updates, just as one of the Blizzard Associates has posted recently.

At worst, there will be lots of further control over this "little" mod scene. At best, it means that Blizzard is taking it more seriously, wich means potential ventures, for us and of course them, just like the Starcraft II mod scene.

This is an issue of time and adaptation. Maybe as of right now, the CASC issue is making everyone of us mad, but in the end, time will settle everything, so don't die in the proccess.

MindWorX

Tool Moderator
Level 20
WEX cannot be made to work with the editor, due to anti-cheat and hacking measures put into the game. These protections affect the editor as well due to the way the editor and game works. I am working hard on adding as many WEX features as I can directly into the editor. WEX will not receive any more official updates at this point.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

@MindWorX can you add syntax highlighting/autocomplete in the world editor?
Right now the official WE is pretty much useless, all that happened is we lost WEX

Level 5
hmm so I guess you are already aware that latest update broke WEX and it can't be launched...hopefully you get it running again soon :)

It won't. We will have to wait for blizzard's official Editior.

Does anyone know what to do when I accidentally updated to 1.30 and now my WEX is broken and official editor can't open my map?
I've tried looking for some patch files and did a clean install of WC3 and tried to patch it, but only thing I'm finding is the blizzard autopatch setups, and also some Garena oriented 1.29 PTR which doesn't work with WEX anyway :/

Level 2
WEX cannot be made to work with the editor, due to anti-cheat and hacking measures put into the game. These protections affect the editor as well due to the way the editor and game works. I am working hard on adding as many WEX features as I can directly into the editor. WEX will not receive any more official updates at this point.
It will be cool to implement some features from JNGP (for example cjass support, because it's a very important language for mapmakers from CIS; it's a standrard of making up powerful systems like vJass). I want this suggestion to be heard.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I would like to know the same, any way to down-patch or install the game in a different directory on 1.28/9?

Seems like the only option since Mindworx decided to screw over all the people using his tool by disabling it and then giving a non-functioning replacement. It's a shame. I greatly doubt the World Editor will ever be brought to the standards of this tool. Last time I trust anything he writes; maybe it's finally time to look at some alternate WC3 scripting language.

Level 5
I
I would like to know the same, any way to down-patch or install the game in a different directory on 1.28/9?

Seems like the only option since Mindworx decided to screw over all the people using his tool by disabling it and then giving a non-functioning replacement. It's a shame. I greatly doubt the World Editor will ever be brought to the standards of this tool. Last time I trust anything he writes; maybe it's finally time to look at some alternate WC3 scripting language.
I'm trying, but didn't menage it yet, also it's not really mindworx's fault.
My friend has 1.29 still installed, I guess it's the only way to get it at the moment, get it from someone that still has it installed.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

It is mindworx's fault...
He joined Blizzard, disabled his tool, and told us to use broken world editor.
I suppose this was his reason for making the tool all along, to be able to use it to get a job at Blizzard?

WEX will never work again. There will probably never be a working vjass editor for 1.30. You can either downpatch or consider wc3 mapmaking dead now.

(edit)
I should have 1.28 or 1.29 on my laptop. Do you know how you could transfer it over?

Level 12
I suppose this was his reason for making the tool all along, to be able to use it to get a job at Blizzard?

WEX will never work again. There will probably never be a working vjass editor for 1.30. You can either downpatch or consider wc3 mapmaking dead now.

(edit)
I should have 1.28 or 1.29 on my laptop. Do you know how you could transfer it over?

First of all, work on SharpCraft started at 2009 (or 2007? nevermind), so if the master plan was to get into blizzard that is one hack of a sideways path.

Second, the regular world editor works with vJASS now, as you can easily check for yourself, so it's good to confirm you didn't actually try 1.30 before saying that. It's probably thanks to him and Kam (and the general community contact) that got vJASS in the vanilla editor.

Lastly, this tool got me, probably most of this community (heck probably even you) another year or so of additional editing power after JNPG coughed it's last breath and died, which is obviously Vexorian's fault and his plan all along, which deserves the 5-stars.

Level 15

(edit)

Good old fashioned notepad and you have the jass manual to look up natives in. It's as horrible as it sounds, trust me.

I don't know what they were thinking with the script editor in vanilla, it's so bad you can't use it for anything else than copy pasting code and hoping it will compile when you run. Ctrl-z doesn't revert the last text you wrote but the whole trigger, the font is horrible, it doesn't have text highligts, or suggest code when you write, indenting your code moves it half the view for each tab, and this is only the beginning of whats wrong with it.

And to add to the plights, when i copy code from notepad I get the beginning distroted so for example library becomes "ᜈ퓠ᒆary" T_T

Last edited:
Level 12
Good old fashioned notepad and you have the jass manual to look up natives in. It's as horrible as it sounds, trust me.

I don't know what they were thinking with the script editor in vanilla, it's so bad you can't use it for anything else than copy pasting code and hoping it will compile when you run. Ctrl-z doesn't revert the last text you wrote but the whole trigger, the font is horrible, it doesn't have text highligts, or suggest code when you write, indenting your code moves it half the view for each tab, and this is only the beginning of whats wrong with it.

And to add to the plights, when i copy code from notepad I get the beginning distroted so for example library becomes "ᜈ퓠ᒆary" T_T

Yeah, I know... I also know how it is to work with a notepad and a natives page open to see the natives (that's how ai scripting is done ><). Obviously the text editor in vanilla can't stay, and I'm fairly confident it won't stay. The vanilla editor can now compile vJASS (not sure about zinc, macros and whatnot), which is an obvious step towards the modding community and existing maps. Seeing as there is already some existing tool to use as base, I don't think that display setting will stay for long.

Level 8
It's rather Blizzard fault for rushing the 1.30 update so fast to the point that some marginal percentage of the modding population is losing their minds. MindWorX now follows their instructions and is not responsable for forcing a game update. Pretty sure Blizzard told him to stop updating the informal tool (this) so he could rather channel his efforts on upgrading the formal world editor. Because what's the point of scattering your efforts? Just try to think that you're a corporation.
Corporations work on schedules very mechanically (maybe too mechanically), so maybe the schedule caught them of guard, but even on that case they must release what they got. MindWorX works for Blizzard since May 28 and the poll to get the prefered language ended on June 14 (two months ago). So what we're experiencing is the result of just ~2 months of work (probably a little more). Stop thinking that there is some kind of international complot to mess with people.

You could redress the lack of syntax highlight with the installation of Notepad++ plus the importation of the vJass language. Pretty sure there is a very convenient tutorial on this exact matter. It's not a real solution but atleast it's something.

AGD

AGD

Level 16
That's rather a distorted view of the future. True, WEX will probably never work again but I'm pretty positive that the default editor will be replacing WEX as the new standard editor soon (how many more patches, we don't know). Supporting vjass in the vanilla editor is just their initial step.

Level 3
not even having ctrl+z functionality is pretty brutal, i just lost a shitload of progress because i saved after i unknowingly deleted something
what's wrong with continuing support with WEX until the vanilla editor reaches parity?

Level 12
not even having ctrl+z functionality is pretty brutal, i just lost a shitload of progress because i saved after i unknowingly deleted something
what's wrong with continuing support with WEX until the vanilla editor reaches parity?

WEX and it continued support are and always were personal, free time project, and his current day job is working on wc3 as a part of the classic games team. This raises 2 possibilities:

1. Asking his dev team manager/boss for time to keep WEX support or change the intended development process so WEX would work. I don't know much about Blizzard's inner policy with these things, but I'd be very surprised if they'd let something like that fly.

2. Getting back from his everyday job working on wc3 and the editor, to do about the same thing during his free time. That's a fantastic, surefire way to achieve burnout from work and losing all love to the game.

Having WEX not work sucks, no need to tell that to anyone. But try to remember that there is a person behind this tool, and those are his options.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Hey guys, since Blizzard can't do anything right, and since I am not coding in notepad, here is how to get WEX up and working!

1: Download patch 1.28.5 here: Warden (don't worry about other downloads, just wc3 1.28.5)
2: Unzip anywhere, I put it in the same spot as other wc3
3: Start WEX and configure to point to the World Editor in that instance

you now have a proper vjass editor.
---
You're right: i don't blame him, then...

However IMO, this shows the importance of software being open source. It should not be up to one person whether or not to kill a significant piece of software in use by much of the community and maybe this makes me a little hesitant to use non OS software from now on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
Apparently, installing warcraft III in Program Files (x86) can really fu** the launching of both JNGP and Sharpcraft, in any version, what`s the best place to install warcraft so?

I am not sure how to respond to that.

Since JassHelper has already been incorporated to wc3 Patch 1.30+, I can only speculate that the tool will slowly be made obsolete in future patch versions (via introducing more features). Still, as it is right now, I think this (latest and potentially last version) will suffice for wc3 versions lower than Patch 1.30.

Level 8
He had many super useful tools like:
- Import mass icons, just by launching the initial Path with path name right.
- Can use many tilests
- Hills "high" like mountains at a "point" just for the terrain
- 480x480 Area map
- Destructibles or Doodads without limits

Don't only "jass helper", I just upgraded myself (unfortunately) to 1.30, because of the "buffs that stacked correctly", not to be more limited to a single buff for a single use.

ps: Sorry for typos, English is not my national language

Level 12
Hey guys, since Blizzard can't do anything right, and since I am not coding in notepad, here is how to get WEX up and working!

1: Download patch 1.28.5 here: Warden (don't worry about other downloads, just wc3 1.28.5)
2: Unzip anywhere, I put it in the same spot as other wc3
3: Start WEX and configure to point to the World Editor in that instance

you now have a proper vjass editor.
---
You're right: i don't blame him, then...

However IMO, this shows the importance of software being open source. It should not be up to one person whether or not to kill a significant piece of software in use by much of the community and maybe this makes me a little hesitant to use non OS software from now on.

When I configure my sharpcraft to the world editor program in that patch folder
Screenshot - 9101e2747d854358daad7df79434e3b0 - Gyazo

I get this error: Screenshot - b117cc40a695e3223b69c20c950ef0b1 - Gyazo and the sharp craft launcher crashes

Level 3
Been waiting for an update but i guess its not coming (Using wurst with 1.30 has not been the easiest thing to do)

If anyone has the 1.29 version, i would really appreciate it if you'd let me have a copy.
I got Sharpcraft working for 1.28.5 (thx EdgeOfChaos) but its obviously not ideal because of all the 1.29 features

Level 12
Been waiting for an update but i guess its not coming (Using wurst with 1.30 has not been the easiest thing to do)

If anyone has the 1.29 version, i would really appreciate it if you'd let me have a copy.
I got Sharpcraft working for 1.28.5 (thx EdgeOfChaos) but its obviously not ideal because of all the 1.29 features

This one works. Got my sharpcraft working as well. Just install it in a seperate directory from your current 1.30 whatever patch it is so you can switch between them anytime.

Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne v1.29 [Widescreen] (download torrent) - TPB Ship