• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
hmm...
its a ability without icon right? and you change the caster art? correct me

yeah auras

question: how i hide the spellbook icon again? coz i can't find it anymore

IMPORTANT
I found a new WE bug which cause fatal errors very interesting i tested the hell out of me
Sometimes if you set the attachment point to e.g. origin or chest or overhead(and every other attachmentpoint) and use a wrong art(like IceCrown_Obelisk_2 or sth. like that+many more)you get a crash on building the building. this makes me very angry because i'm no able to create building like i wish
AAAAAAAAAAAAA i'm so poor

Level 11
I'll join. I will be absent for next week, so I can only start when I get back. I hope I will be able to finish it, and that I can figure out that custom race trigger...

Entry Name: Gnolls
Contestant Name: HailFireer

Level 8
Got a new system to share and to attach at buildings

It's not completely finish but the "how it works" will be able to be seen

You need:
:fp:dummy.mdx by Vexorian
:fp:JNGP
:fp:use UnitUserData

Problem:
dummy unit is not selectable by click only by selection so you need another unit which's alpha values are set to zero
But that's not a problem for me and this should maybe help you =D

One thing left to you:

Figure out how to change the selection from dummy unit to the real building with the dummy.mdx model :)fp :I already got it hehe)

But here is the skeleton of the system maybe you can figure it out now:
JASS:
scope Buildings initializer Init
//This trigger handles the building effect improves
globals
    private constant integer TIER_0 = 'nob1'
    private constant integer TIER_1 = 'nob2'
    private constant integer UNIT_0 = 'nob3'
    private constant integer UNIT_1 = 'nob4'
    private constant integer UNIT_2 = 'nob6'
    private constant integer RESEARCH = 'nob5'
    private constant integer FOOD = 'nob7'
    private constant integer ALTAR = 'nob0'

private trigger death = CreateTrigger()
endglobals

private struct FX
    effect A
    effect B
    effect C
    unit D
endstruct

private function Actions_1 takes nothing returns nothing
    local unit u = GetTriggerUnit()
    local FX Effects = FX.create()

if GetUnitTypeId(u) == TIER_0 then

elseif GetUnitTypeId(u) == TIER_1 then
        set Effects.A = AddSpecialEffectTarget("winteraura.mdx",u,"chest")
        set Effects.B = AddSpecialEffectTarget("Doodads\\Icecrown\\Rocks\\Icecrown_Crystal\\Icecrown_Crystal1.mdl",u,"origin")
        call SetUnitVertexColor( u , 100 , 160 , 250 , 250)
        call SetUnitUserData(u , Effects)
        call TriggerRegisterDeathEvent( death , u )
    elseif GetUnitTypeId(u) == UNIT_0 then
//skipped for this presentation
    endif

set u = null
endfunction

private function Actions_2 takes nothing returns nothing
    local unit u = GetTriggerUnit()
    local FX Effects = GetUnitUserData(u)

call DestroyEffect(Effects.A)
    call DestroyEffect(Effects.B)
    call Effects.destroy()
    set Effects.A = null
    set Effects.B = null
endfunction

//===========================================================================
private function Init takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t = CreateTrigger( )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ( t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_CONSTRUCT_START )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ( t, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_UPGRADE_FINISH )
    call TriggerAddAction( t , function Actions_1 )
    call TriggerAddAction( death , function Actions_2 )
endfunction
endscope

i think i will post the finished and cleared up thingie here

EDIT:

Another Question:
Count dummy units/buildings against the limit? coz they afaik don't affect the unit/building count ingame

Last edited:
Level 22
you can create practically any building you can think off via triggers/dummy units by creating the dummy units at an offset of the recently constructed building. it is extremely boring work.
As for me, I started on my units first. I know what buildings i have, they just had default wc3 models as for now.

Level 38
you can create practically any building you can think off via triggers/dummy units by creating the dummy units at an offset of the recently constructed building. it is extremely boring work.
As for me, I started on my units first. I know what buildings i have, they just had default wc3 models as for now.

I'm pretty sure each little square in the smallest grid you can use in the world editor have a space of 36 for doing this. This makes the medium grids 144 across. Those numbers might be a smidgen off, but if you use them for placing dummy attachments it will definitely be close enough. Why they arn't exactly 100 is beyond me, especially with the range of units.

Someone asked me about importing custom tileset skins. I think that is a little extreme, but if you can move an extra tileset into the map and get it to work I don't see why not.

Level 8
I'm pretty sure each little square in the smallest grid you can use in the world editor have a space of 36 for doing this. This makes the medium grids 144 across. Those numbers might be a smidgen off, but if you use them for placing dummy attachments it will definitely be close enough. Why they arn't exactly 100 is beyond me, especially with the range of units.

Someone asked me about importing custom tileset skins. I think that is a little extreme, but if you can move an extra tileset into the map and get it to work I don't see why not.

No I asked you following 2 questions:

:fp:Do dummy units/buildings count against the max unit/Building limit?

:fp:Is it allowed to edit own ground textures of Buildings?because the default ones look like shit for a nordic race(i mean the thingies like castle etc. the effect shown below buildings)

I even sended you a pn chrome67 but u didn't answer:cry:

Level 6
I join, make a

SWARM RACE

When Human raise, and animal intimidated. Try to survive, queen of black arachnia, and many breeder of nerubian, spray their spore to space, hope it can landed and survive in outter space, and evolute to be a better creature, and it's happen.. be a swarm race

Still creating units and buildings..
completed
4 Unit
2 Building

Level 11

No I asked you following 2 questions:

:fp:Do dummy units/buildings count against the max unit/Building limit?

:fp:Is it allowed to edit own ground textures of Buildings?because the default ones look like shit for a nordic race(i mean the thingies like castle etc. the effect shown below buildings)

I even sended you a pn chrome67 but u didn't answer:cry:

I'm pretty sure you can take his answer as:

1) No, dummy units doesn't count (btw, this is written rules, isn't it?), but you can use Graveyards ability, if you have some problems with models attaching to buildings.

2) If you can implement textures - just do it, if that's neccesery :)

Level 8
I'm pretty sure you can take his answer as:

1) No, dummy units doesn't count (btw, this is written rules, isn't it?), but you can use Graveyards ability, if you have some problems with models attaching to buildings.

2) If you can implement textures - just do it, if that's neccesery :)

I'm not using any model abilities anymore i figured out a new way =D

But thx for clearing that up for me

Level 9
Here some info on my concept:

Race: Nerubians (purely nerubs, no spiders & scorpions)

Faction: Silkweb Brood

Story: Ever though the Lich King conquered the Kingdom of Azjol Nerub, many nerubians remained free from his malicious grasp. Mostly unorganized, these raiding parties attacked the undead forces with little success - until now. Few years ago, a long forgotten call has spread throughout Northrend's vast teritories. One of the sons of the last King of Azjol Nerub seems to have survived the undead's onslaught. Now, afters years of exile he has returned into his long lost home with a purpose - to free and ressurect the Kingdom of Azjol Nerub. His call gathered many of the free nerubians and they formed the Silkweb Brood, Nerub's last hope. Rellying on skirmishes and guerilla tactics the new king, Anub'Hies hopes to outmanoeuvre his clumsy enemies and win the war with a fine touch.

Race Specials: This race has almost no buildings. All units are bore by the brood's Queen(which plays the role of a mainhall). When born, the small nerubians are fed different kinds of enzyms by the workers and then they grow up into different unit types, which then become stronger as they fight and in time morph into more powerful warriors.

Level 11
Hey. I want to have a unit, that if upgraded turns more powerful (like troll headhunter/ berserker). Does that count as 1 or 2 units?

Level 8
Here another WIP
2lbcfb5.jpg

From left top to right bottom
Crystal Beastiary Tier1 Beast Units , Ancient Ziggurat Food Supply , Icy Hut Tier0 Units , Snowfall ObeliskResearch Center , Altar of IceAltar , Winter SpringMainHall , Frozen Core Tier1 , Palace of Ice Tier1 Units

the race is not capable of gather lumber but also only needs it very raretimes

only fuck are the ground textures of the buildings but creating one's didn't work on importing

Level 11
Hey baassee, I recently added you to my race. I hope you'll like yourself ^^

<Some nice flavourtext>

Has Sneak (becomes invisible for 20 seconds, deals 20 backstab damage), can learn Counter-tactics (True Sight based, requires School of Thieves upgrade) and

Steal Idea (Faerie Fire based, -3 armor, requires 3rd Race Contest upgrade)

I hope you like it! ^^
If you're offended, tell me so I can replace you. I do not intend to offend anybody, so just tell me :)

Level 22
ok, since the contest is going on well, i might as well reveal my plans.
(Note that everything here follows contest rules, I've asked 67Chrome about several things as well)

Imperial Regiment
Hailing from the Far South, these humans have developed and flourished a strong empire that has not been discovered by the Alliance. Made up of only humans, the Empire is lead of the Divine Emperor, who has been in at the head of the Empire since time itself began.
Defending Imperial soil are the numerous and unique Imperial Regiments. Some Regiments may specialize in Infantry Tactics, while others on Armored Combat, while even others are requisitioned by the Inquisition, the Empire's Religious-Militant Sect, who are devoted to cleansing the recently discovered Undead and the Daemons of old.

Features:
-Not just a single race, but in reality 3 subraces: Infantry Regiment, Armored Regiment, or Inquisitorial Levy. Each Subrace is required for you to gain access to advanced units and upgrades
-Imperial troops are constantly being flowed into their barracks, allowing them to be instantly ready for action as soon as they arrive
-All 3 subraces feature atleast 1 Armored Vehicle, while the Armored Regiment's focus is on developing an unbreakable line of tanks
-Each subrace has it's own hero. Governor-Militant for the Infantry Regiment, Tank Ace for the Armored Regiment, and the Inquisitor for the Inquisitorial Levy

There are also other features in my race, but you'll just have to wait for the final product for that

Level 38
Not sure if I gave the below responses before, but what ever.

@ xxdingo93xx
I'd view using that resource as the same as a skinner using one of their skins they created before the contest started. If it is in a spellpack here I especially see no reason to prevent you from using it ;)

You can use any of the resources in the MPQ, make a unit look like a footman and have the same stats, defend etc. Doing this just has drawbacks.

Creating a working race should actually take a long time to do, from the race I created it took me much longer to do than create a skin anyways. With comming up with ideas, finding the right models and icons, writting the tooltips for units, spells, buffs, and upgrades, and getting spells to work...It takes a deceptivly long amount of time.

Also, one of you said something about an AI. You don't need to have an AI by any means. Also, balanicing the race would be nice, but most people will probably vote on how fun your race is to play than how well-balanced it is. If your race is blatently over or underpowered that will be an issue that will cut into how much fun it is to play, but still.

The ground textures of buildings (splats) are largly used by the exisiting melee races. If you edit the ones that are not (dark portal, demon gate), thats fine.

Ok, I also added people to the snazzy little chart on the first page. If anyone wants there name to be changed post something about it and I'll get to it eventually :)

Level 23
Ok, I finished making concepts and looking for models of my race so here is the info:

Exiled ones or the Draenei in their language are an ancient race, originating from Argus. A few hundred years ago they entered Draenor, the homeworld of orcs an settled there. However when the orcs were corrupted, many of the draenei were killed, and some have devolved becoming Broken, and some even Lost Ones. However lately Velen, the leader and prophet of the draenei has called all of his people to a meeting. There first time an allaince was formed between Broken, Lost ones and Unbroken draenei. Together they will fight for their freedom, and Light.

The race concists of 3 subraces: Draenei, Broken and Lost Ones. Each subrace has its own unic abilities: Draenei are masteres of Light and magic, Broken are masters of craft, gathering and contruction, and Lost Ones are unseen assasins and saboteurs. The buildings are made out of yellow stone and clay, crystals and are blessed by the Light.

Ok, since Im startring to work on the race now, I wish everyone good luck! Im gonna need it...

Level 8
OK, I will make an Icecrown race.

Features:
- Ice/Frost themed buildings
- Units such as Nerubians and Ice Trolls, and other Icecrown Beasts
- Custom Interface
- Custom Icons, Upgrades, Researches etc.

I wish everyone good luck!

Last edited:
Level 20
I decide to make Sea Legion race. They will be warriors dedicated to serve their god against Naga empire. They are mostly going to be murlocs and mur'guls. Everything is decided so only thing left to do is to create them.

Also is requesting resources against the rule? Hive really lacks building models.

Status
Not open for further replies.