• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 38
To baassee,
Are you really in? oO I hope, that's not a joke.

To 67chrome,
What does "20 upgrades" mean? Shall the weapon upgrades for both melee and ranged units ( 2 x 3 ) and defense upgrades for them ( 2 x 3 ) count as 6+6=12? Or they just stand for 4 upgrades? I hope, the last one statement is true. :)

three levels of a weapon upgrade count as 1 upgrade for this. You shouldn't use that many upgrades though, 20 is just the average amount of upgrades the melee races have (undead only have 18). If you try comming up with 20 upgrades for the sake of maximizing the upgrade potential, your race will look really cluttered and like a mess. This is more for a little freedom, in case someone had an idea that needed a good deal of upgrades.

Upgrades can be identified by the upgrade tab in the object editor. Everything in there is an upgrade. Anything that is not, is not.

I have another question guys. Do you edit another regular races buildings or like for example, copy a farm and then paste it and edit the farm for your pesonal race?

Considering how difficult it is to correctly balance units in WC3, doing this will give your units a more balanced feel. I'd just recommend playing with the gold/lumber/time/hp/damage of the unit a little, so that it seems more unique. But ya, if you want to create new unit, I'd recommend making the base unit your getting all the stats from a unit that does essentially the same thing.

Level 22
Man, your fast.

blah only made the easy code spells, those who are next are way more difficult but you will see in my entrance :)

EPIC WIN!

@Topic

Contests looks good I will prob finish on wednesday (because of holiday)

So I WIILLL have ALOOOT of time to test it out ;)

and btw

dingo you lightning freak :) your lightning spells will make my spells look like crap :(

Level 17
Here, I repeat my post ... obviously it was overseen.

Question to moderators of this contest

I am planning to make a race called Stormseeker. This will mainly base on the elements water and storm/lightning.
Since I am a spellmaker myself, I have already made spells in the past.

My question:
Am I allowed to use the spell "Geyser" which is comprised in my spellpack as ability for a hero?

Level 11
As for me, I don't see any reason in forbidding using the spells which have already been done, especially if they are quite good. What's the matter in reinventing the wheel, if there is already one! Especially, again, created by YOU!

Everybody follows same rules, so the implementation of useful and interesting spells, fitting your race well, is also a part of competition, isn't it? I hope, it does.

Level 16
Umm a wip screen?

Yes, a screen!

Goblin_Pirates#1.jpg

Goodluck everyone :thumbs_up:

Level 2
For me the hero is the easiest part to CREATE, but not to imagine it :)

Another question: Anybody knows, if it is possible to make my custom race use custom interface / command buttons / spell target circle / mouse cursor etc w/o modifying origin Blizzard races and replacing them then?

I have about a month as a time for entry completing! :)

with me it's reverse. I have lot of ideas, but I don't know how to make all of them working, since my triggering is pretty bad when it comes to advanced stuffs. :sad:

I did made few custom races for fun (without custom trigger spells and upgrades), but never manage for AI to work\build. It did work fine when playing with friends in multiplayer just for kicks, they were well balanced. :wink:

If there are people who are good with triggers, but have no idea, feel free to contact me on PM, maybe they could use some ideas in their maps.

Level 8
yeah default ones are always allowed =D they just should fit together

Q: but how do i set up the picking through dialogs? normally i make spells and systems not things like that so i really dunno?

pick all units from player - remove them - replace with new one's

Is that the right trigger?

Level 11
Fuh, that's a bit difficult... at the beggining I just thought: Ha-h! New race! Chpok-chpok, some buildings and model imports for units and everything is done... Nah! >< Even not so close. Now I have to add cameras to models, which don't have them, look for most fitting sound in sound editor and the most hard thing is to draw icons for building using just Print Screen + Photoshop T_T

Fortunately, I've moved on a bit, so I can present a small WIP. Tinker stands here just for a hero, I'll use another one, I'm sure :)

Attachments

• WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 194
Level 11
... For what purpose? If I'm runner up, I'll give a permission for it only if it's like Undead or Zerg "needed" ground texture for buildings. Otherwise, you won't be able to use this race in the melee map... I dunno, I think, that not.

Level 8
... For what purpose? If I'm runner up, I'll give a permission for it only if it's like Undead or Zerg "needed" ground texture for buildings. Otherwise, you won't be able to use this race in the melee map... I dunno, I think, that not.

because nordic race with undead or nightelf or orc or naga or human texture looks shit
the buildings are out of ice and then they stand on leaves:razz: i hope this gets allowed

Level 23
Its your choise, since its not forbidden, still it is supposed to be a mini-race, however if you have some sort of merchant race, whos main power is relying on the heroes impowered by items, it could fit very well.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Here's a WIP of my race, its only 40% finished tho.
Its a mix of demons, and night elves. The succubus models are the main "footman" like unit, the smallest upgrades into the medium one witch can upgrade into the big blue one.
The infernal machine model is like the naga's royal guard (buffed up tank ish unit.)
The rogue looking guy is the worker/builder/peasant.
The hunter's halls are the town halls. The sacrificial alter thing or w/e its called is the research building, and the demon portal/dark portal is where you train units.
And finally the air ship is like a zerg overlord, except it only supply's food & scouts.

(Hero is blocked by a building lol)

http://img183.imageshack.us/i/previewr.png/

Level 11
Yes, I'd like to tell the same as Ghost765 has just told :) Damn you ;P

And makin' a gnoll race is a bit... dishonest, cause there is a pack (In real meaning of this word) of models, concerning both buildings and units they should produce. Probably even by one person :p But, nevermind, I like all the entries posted till now, excluding one moment, Ghost765, where are your building? :)

Level 11
What do you mean by "ability w/o icon" and caster art? Where do you see any ability? :)

And concerning your building models - they were planned to be gnollish :p I even tryed to create a race of them, so that's why they are known to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.