• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
ok, since the contest is going on well, i might as well reveal my plans.
(Note that everything here follows contest rules, I've asked 67Chrome about several things as well)

Imperial Regiment
Hailing from the Far South, these humans have developed and flourished a strong empire that has not been discovered by the Alliance. Made up of only humans, the Empire is lead of the Divine Emperor, who has been in at the head of the Empire since time itself began.
Defending Imperial soil are the numerous and unique Imperial Regiments. Some Regiments may specialize in Infantry Tactics, while others on Armored Combat, while even others are requisitioned by the Inquisition, the Empire's Religious-Militant Sect, who are devoted to cleansing the recently discovered Undead and the Daemons of old.

Features:
-Not just a single race, but in reality 3 subraces: Infantry Regiment, Armored Regiment, or Inquisitorial Levy. Each Subrace is required for you to gain access to advanced units and upgrades
-Imperial troops are constantly being flowed into their barracks, allowing them to be instantly ready for action as soon as they arrive
-All 3 subraces feature atleast 1 Armored Vehicle, while the Armored Regiment's focus is on developing an unbreakable line of tanks
-Each subrace has it's own hero. Governor-Militant for the Infantry Regiment, Tank Ace for the Armored Regiment, and the Inquisitor for the Inquisitorial Levy

There are also other features in my race, but you'll just have to wait for the final product for that

Do not forget about 2 mb's limit for map size. And for me this seems to be about 30 units, not 10...

What's the matter in writing rules, if everybody can get an accept to break them? I'll think twice before continuing my work on this contest, HW's contests starts to irritate me hard.

Level 23
Here's the first race screenshot:
160705-albums1300-picture18841.bmp

Im going to make Elekk Rider the Vindicator, replace Vindicator with Anchorite, rename Saboteur, and change his skin to gray. Farseer will also be replaced with another lost one unit, maybe to assasin.

The race's hero will be Exarch, and there will also be buildings soon.
They will be the most troublesome, since Im not going to use draenei building models from wc3campaigns.

Level 11
chrome said it was fine, as long as i dont go overboard. im probably not gonna use the max 10 units per subrace. you will NOT be able to use all the units featured in the master race.

So, as Aspard said, we get the okay from chrome and we do whatever we want?

Level 11
chrome said it was fine, as long as i dont go overboard. im probably not gonna use the max 10 units per subrace. you will NOT be able to use all the units featured in the master race.

You see, the only way I can treat this is like you are going to have three entries at the same time. Well, nevermind, I'll finish my work in any case. I'll take part just for fan then :)

And that's bad I can't post contests myself, I dislike the way the are going here :(

Level 38
ok, since the contest is going on well, i might as well reveal my plans.
(Note that everything here follows contest rules, I've asked 67Chrome about several things as well)

Imperial Regiment
Hailing from the Far South, these humans have developed and flourished a strong empire that has not been discovered by the Alliance. Made up of only humans, the Empire is lead of the Divine Emperor, who has been in at the head of the Empire since time itself began.
Defending Imperial soil are the numerous and unique Imperial Regiments. Some Regiments may specialize in Infantry Tactics, while others on Armored Combat, while even others are requisitioned by the Inquisition, the Empire's Religious-Militant Sect, who are devoted to cleansing the recently discovered Undead and the Daemons of old.

Features:
-Not just a single race, but in reality 3 subraces: Infantry Regiment, Armored Regiment, or Inquisitorial Levy. Each Subrace is required for you to gain access to advanced units and upgrades
-Imperial troops are constantly being flowed into their barracks, allowing them to be instantly ready for action as soon as they arrive
-All 3 subraces feature atleast 1 Armored Vehicle, while the Armored Regiment's focus is on developing an unbreakable line of tanks
-Each subrace has it's own hero. Governor-Militant for the Infantry Regiment, Tank Ace for the Armored Regiment, and the Inquisitor for the Inquisitorial Levy

There are also other features in my race, but you'll just have to wait for the final product for that

When I said don't go overboard with something like options I had more in mind of not making more than ~20-25% of your units based on a choice, not all of them. I hope you are planning on using the same basic units for the three variations of this race. I also was thinking more along the lines of two choices would be not overkill, but whatever.

So far these everyone's race seems pretty interesting :)

Level 23
Ok, I have a little progress. Plus I need to find a model for Anchorite(draenei priest/priestess), and I need to think of a lost one spellcaster or strong melee unit.

BTW, I need your help guys. Should I use nether dragon which is better, and doesnt need to be imported, or sporebat(which can also be called nether ray)?

Level 16
Check this out guys.

* Units/building upgraded to gain additional bonuses count as 1 unit. (Watch Tower -> Scout Tower

Looks clear to me at first. But a loophole may be found.

The basic unit, Watch Tower can be upgraded into not just a Scout Tower, but also a Cannon Tower and an Arcane Tower. Naturally the question is, how many units are these? Is it four units? Or omit the Watch Tower and count the three upgraded ones as three units? Or are they all the same one unit?

If they are counted as one unit, then how about situation B- In this situation, a player exploits this situation and makes his Watch Tower upgradable into five different units, a Barracks, Blacksmith, Mage Tower, Vault, and Gryphon Aviary. So does it still count as one unit, if the player argues that "Units/building upgraded to gain additional bonuses" allows him to do it because those structures are considered "additional bonuses"?

I'm sure if we all look, there are many more loopholes to be exploited in the future. I think 67chrome should make a stand on this to not allow loopholes and bending of the original set of rules in any way.

Level 23
Wraithling, it wont work. This is obviously different units. When there is a linear(one)upgrade then its ok. Three ok two, if it about farms or towers. But it wont wrok with other buildings.

And Master of Eagles, call them Aquali.

Level 12
180293-albums2370-picture18864.jpg

This is the first picture of my race based on sNaky's perfect model. I don't know what can i name this race. Any idea?

Looks to me like the Dalravian race in the Flooded Mines from Darkest Depths

Hydra- Dalravian Beast

Melee- Cutthroats of the Dark Seas

Ranged- Dalravian Waylayers

The Dalravians also had a god in their lair though, which was basically a large serpent with a mining pick.

Level 16
@ Alagremm: Agreed, because my examples were too obvious :] But it still doesn't escape the fact that it may be exploited if the examples were less obvious.

@ supertoinkz: Yo man. Same role is a little bit hard to define. Say, my Scout tower can attck & train a footman, my Cannon Tower can attack and make researches, my Arcane tower can attack and train priests, heck, I'll add in a bunch of towers here with dual functions in them :D

Level 12
I saw this and then I though that I should tell you I made a gnoll race once. It works well but would need more units to add. Is it too original to participate in this?

Level 11
I have a great idea!

1) The unit limit is removed or
2) Each unit counts as 1, no matter if it can be upgraded bla bla bla...

@baassee
Would you prefer Lord Garithos' ("I hate working with these... people!" or bandit's ("Should I mess someone up?") response when you're clicked? Your model is the bandit's one by the way ^^

Level 11
Meh, it seems that only I am going to use less than 10k custom models. I'd like to, but there are no models that look like THW's members in the model section ^^

Level 11
Too bad DvO is not included in my race. But I've selected models for most of my units. Slaydon is a frog, Ralle is a stag (yes baassee, my Ralle can ban too ^^), Pyritie is a big golden dragon, Lirch a smaller green dragon, Barathrum is a Spirit Walker, Elenai a Night Elven archer, Super-Sheep a flying sheep, Reaper2008 uses DvO's reaper model, NoAmmoSrry is a rifleman, baassee is a bandit and Master Haosis uses the Avatar of Awesomeness model, made by General Frank (I think ^^).

Status
Not open for further replies.