• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #5 - Hero Ability Icon Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Lets get some stuff straight here: Everyone can enter as many icons as they want. If they don't and whine afterwards they were disadvantaged, they're idiots. If 1 person may enter multiple icons, so may the other. Nothing unfair about it. And if you say "But some aren't very fast at iconing, so they can't make as much as other people, so they're disadvantaged" then you need to reconsider the meaning of a contest.

The key part of a contest is a test of skill, which include the time taken to make it. If you're faster, you're better there, which is your advantage over someone who isn't just as fast. But ofcourse that's no reason to call it unfair. You could say "Let's make this contest fair by telling everyone they have to make a Phoenix icon that's based on this image. Then everyone will be judged equally, because they're all the same!". That doesn't get you anywhere, which is the same case with this 4 or more icons discussion.

Level 6
Yes, but if a judge decides which icons go through based on which they see as best, the contestant can essentially just spew out a shitstorm of variable quality icons, and only get good response. I think people should be allowed to make as many icons for it as they want, so long as they themselves choose which 4 of those icons they submit.

You can spew out as many icons as you like, but whether you enter just four, or forty (I don't envy the judges if someone does enter that many, xD), you still need four good quality icons to have a chance.

It's kinda too late to change it now, isn't it? With all the debate to what's fair, and what's not, wouldn't it be unfair to change the rules mid competition, especially since one official entry has already been made?

I was kinda planning to enter just four, if I do enter at all, but we'll see how it goes.

Level 30
Gosh, people, do you really think i'd have any chance to win this contest?
I'm a moderator, an icon moderator, and for the sake of avoiding drama, how could i win this contest?
I made exactly 8 icons for this competition. I submitted the (in my opinion) 6 best of them. But a really detailed judging about own icons is nearly impossible.
Furthermore, i have no idea about the four best of them, i'm pretty sure i'd keep the Rain Of Fire and Holy Light.

If you wish the correction of my entry, state it now.
I was honestly hoping for more people making more icons.

My icons so far was ugly (I make some new ones instead of those...) So heres is my first actually submission (Avatar/Soulburn):

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Wip:
attachment.php

What do you think:

Attachments

• DISBTNAvatar_Evil.jpg
    DISBTNAvatar_Evil.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 194
  • PASBTNAvatar_Evil.jpg
    PASBTNAvatar_Evil.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 191
  • WIP.jpg
    WIP.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 234
  • BTNAvatar_Evil.jpg
    BTNAvatar_Evil.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 228
Level 18
The beak is indeed the point of the mouth, which birds have. Phoenixes don't have either beaks nor scales. You would have to remove the scales if you want it to be a Phoenix at all. Now It's just a reptile spitting fire. (And Phoenixes are not reptiles for that matter)

Level 16
Huh you say that a phoenix dont have a beak or scales, and is made out of fire completely? .. In most stories i know it is not made out of fire, it is only the resemblance of fire. take an example to the egyptian bennu, "The Bennu was pictured as a grey, purple, blue, or white heron with a long beak and a two-feathered crest."

And even so it is a myth and my phoenix has scales :D And it will be a phoenix still, you can call this artist interpretation :)

Level 8
Blizzard's phoenix icon looks like crap comparing to yours. Honestly.

Anyway, I tried once more to make an icon. It is better than my first attempts, but it still sucks. I'm gonna put it up her, hoping to get some pointers.

Attachments

• BTNDrunkenHaze.jpg
    BTNDrunkenHaze.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 156
Level 18
@bananaHUNT: Endurance Aura is represented by a hand, but it isn't limited by it. The phoenix is about the Phoenix and nothing more. No effect. It's a unit. Every unit and building icon there is in Warcraft III has an image of the actual unit or building. Not something to represent it.

@HyperActive: What ability is that for?

Level 16
@bananaHUNT: Endurance Aura is represented by a hand, but it isn't limited by it. The phoenix is about the Phoenix and nothing more. No effect. It's a unit. Every unit and building icon there is in Warcraft III has an image of the actual unit or building. Not something to represent it.

@HyperActive: What ability is that for?
Well the wc3 Water Elemental icon dont look like the real water elemental also.. more like a wave with a skull on it. Vengeance also, it is not even green..

to HA; you should make the background different colour to the bottle ;)

Level 10
I'm pretty sure the WC3 icon for Phoenix isn't of a Phoenix, rather a hand becoming like a phoenix claw. Because from what I can recall, it used to be called Mark Of Fire, and it had an effect similar to doom, eventually transforming the unit into a Phoenix. So yeah, it's not of an actual Phoenix unit, but rather the ability.
As to BananaHunt's Phoenix icon, it looks cool, but it does look more like a dragon to me than a phoenix. Perhaps adding more feathers, or a bird-like beak could help more. But it's up to you in the end.

I've made two new icons: (Blink and Unholy Aura)
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

And the wIPS:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BTNBlink_V2.jpg
    BTNBlink_V2.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 621
  • PASBTNBlink_V2.jpg
    PASBTNBlink_V2.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 562
  • DISPASBTNBlink_V2.jpg
    DISPASBTNBlink_V2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 544
  • PASBTNUnholyAura_V2.jpg
    PASBTNUnholyAura_V2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 565
  • DISBTNUnholyAura_V2.jpg
    DISBTNUnholyAura_V2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 613
  • BTNUnholyAura_V2.jpg
    BTNUnholyAura_V2.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 589
  • Wip.jpg
    Wip.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 238
Level 15
Okay here are my 4 entries:
I know they ain't great nor will I have a chance on winning, but I'll give it a shot =D

1. Hex
2. Healing Wave
3. Banish
4. Storm, Earth and Fire

Attachments

• BTNHex1.jpg
    BTNHex1.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 433
  • DISBTNHex1.jpg
    DISBTNHex1.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 441
  • BTNHealingWave.jpg
    BTNHealingWave.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 427
  • DISBTNHealingWave.jpg
    DISBTNHealingWave.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 423
  • BTNBanish.jpg
    BTNBanish.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 433
  • DISBTNStorm, Earth and Fire1.jpg
    DISBTNStorm, Earth and Fire1.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 417
  • BTNStorm, Earth and Fire1.jpg
    BTNStorm, Earth and Fire1.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 398
  • DISBTNBanish.jpg
    DISBTNBanish.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 463
  • BTNHex.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 66
  • DISBTNHex.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 122
  • BTNHealingWave.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DISBTNHealingWave.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 86
  • BTNBanish.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 70
  • DISBTNBanish.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 117
  • BTNStormEarthAndFire.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DISBTNStormEarthAndFire.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 71

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Wow, are you guys (and by "guys" I mean Avator) seriously that close-minded?? It's a Phoenix. It's mythological, first off, so pretty much anything even loosely fitting the concept could fit. And of course, myths vary wildly all over the world (case in point: the basilisk/cockatrice monster. Giant snake? Wierd Lizard/rooster Hybrid? Crocodilian lizard? Etc).

Now, I'll give you that his former Phoenix icon somewhat resembles a dragon more than a Phoenix, primarily because of the scales. However, those scales don't make it not a Phoenix; they just mislead you to think something else. It's a fitting Phoenix icon.

Moreover, he's absolutely right; Blizzard doesn't restrict themselves to saying "every icon must be a picture of the unit in a mythologically correct fashion". They did go ahead and make all the units/buildings/heroes a general picture of the object in question (or the face thereof), so one could easily identify them.
But for spells, they run the gamut. A lot of spells either are too abstract or too boring to depict literally. I.e.:
- Phoenix is a fiery hand/claw. The in-game Phoenix doesn't even have appendages (claws) other than wings.
- Vengeance a pair of 'angry-eyes' silhouetted in green crackling energy. Cool, but the Avatar itself doesn't even have green as a motif (not even TC). You could say it's the eyes of the creature (but still not green).

Etc.

~~
Also, I cannot eloquently describe why allowing contestants to submit more than 4 icons as their entry. Perhaps someone more articulate like Rising_Dusk or Captain Griffen could. However, I will just say that it's incredibly broken. Assuming you intend to have judges slog through every entry, that gives people who submitted more than 4 a large advantage over the others. This is a contest, true, but it's an icon contest; a competition of artwork. No one should be able to 'flood the market' with icons; the more you make, the better chance of quality. This is about who can draw 4 of the best re-interpretations of Blizzard hero abilities.

By all means, create as many icons as you want. But you shouldn't be able to "submit", as your entry, more than 4. (or less than 4, for that matter). It's as if this were a Hero Contest, and you had a group submitting 2 heroes for judging instead of 1. Unfair? Incredibly so. Twice as much of a chance as winning.

/rants.

~~~

I like the current Phoenix icon better, bananaHUNT; much sharper and more 'phoenix-y'. :p Perhaps the black spaces between wings/tail/head are a little too stark in contrast; moar glow?

Also, I cannot eloquently describe why allowing contestants to submit more than 4 icons as their entry. Perhaps someone more articulate like Rising_Dusk or Captain Griffen could. However, I will just say that it's incredibly broken. Assuming you intend to have judges slog through every entry, that gives people who submitted more than 4 a large advantage over the others. This is a contest, true, but it's an icon contest; a competition of artwork. No one should be able to 'flood the market' with icons; the more you make, the better chance of quality. This is about who can draw 4 of the best re-interpretations of Blizzard hero abilities.

By all means, create as many icons as you want. But you shouldn't be able to "submit", as your entry, more than 4. (or less than 4, for that matter). It's as if this were a Hero Contest, and you had a group submitting 2 heroes for judging instead of 1. Unfair? Incredibly so. Twice as much of a chance as winning.
Man, of course they have more chance of winning uploading more icons, they made more icons! They worked harder! Doesn't that make sense?
If all icons are crappy or average, it doesn't give any advantage at all.

Level 18
Kyrbi0, I'm not even going to bother typing it out again. Read the previous posts before talking about something. Both the submission limit and the old Phoenix icon have been widely discussed and you're only bringing up old arguments that have been proven senseless long ago. So read the previous posts and if you don't feel like reading it: Don't post about those subjects at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.