• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #1 - Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi. Welcome to the first official icon contest here at Hive Workshop, Phoenix Trial. The purpose of this contest is awakening the imagination and sharpening the talent of the numerous artists, members of this community.

Theme
All trials have a common generic theme around which very many ideas can come to life, yet keep something in common. The theme of this trial is reflection. This includes multiplication, mirroring, imitating and ray bouncing but does not go up to the abstract meaning of “meditation” (a.k.a reflecting to something).

Rules
- The icons must follow the rules you will find here
- No plain screenshots allowed (or shallowy modified)
- You can post up to three icons but only one is eligible of winning a prize. Consider that you are given “three chances”.
- The icon(s) must be made specifically for the contest. No previous work allowed.
- WIPs of the icons are encouraged as they keep the contest active.
- Attach your icon(s) to some post once you are done (TGA only active version).
- Judges may not join the contest.

Prizes
The winner of every Phoenix Trial receives an award (small icon under your avatar) and 25 reputation points.

Judging:
50% of the score is determined by a public poll. The rest of the score is determined by one or more specialized judges.
Elements based on which the judging is made (by specialized judge, not by public):
- Creativity. The icon idea is pretty important.
- Blizzard feeling. Make the icon in such a manner that it can be implemented in a Warcraft map and goes well with the other blizzard icons.
- Technical Note. The quality of the icon is the most important thing. Try to keep it detailed yet clear (throwing a lot of elements in a 64x64 image will most of the time look crowded).

Deadline
20th of March 2007 (0:00 AM, GMT).

Good luck & have fun.

~Daelin

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I think I have a good idea. We'll see if I can pull it off.

Level 8
Icons, hein ? Time to start something new, hope it does not become that difficult, even if other write, it's a difficult theme.

EDIT: May non-Moderator/Admins join the Judging Team ? Cause I would like to join it.

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 8
Chaos... I'm afraid that at the moment judges are restricted to moderators and administration. At a point in the future I might increase the boundaries but I don't promise though. Since these are official contests I believe the staff should be responsible.

~Daelin

Thanks for describing the situation ... well, someday ... good icon contest and good Luck to all guys who join it.

Chaos:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 9
Well... though it's rather ambiguous (the first mirror/multiply icon that pops into my head is the one Blizzard created, so I fear that creativity will have a serious obstacle in reaching high enough levels...) I will try to do at least one icon.

Hope we're going to see some nice icons in here...
I'll try not to make a merge this time... or... should I?

Good luck and may these 16 days left (whole 24h I mean) be enough.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Level 12
Sketchy of mine.

Attachments

• reflection.jpg
    reflection.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 279

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Is that a hairy pig in his monocle?

I jest, I jest...

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Needs borders?
EDIT: nevermind.

No more pig : (

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

This is as far as I got. I can't seem to get any further, it's just too difficult to make anything look good in the background. Suggestions for that would be greatly appreciated.

LOL.JPG

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

LOL.JPG
Needs a background. And I think Ill make a broken version of this when I finish the unbroken one.

The orc is supposed to be kind of grossed out and surprised when he sees his own reflection.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Submission.

Frightening Reality.

EDIT: See final submission below.

Attachments

• BTN.jpg
    BTN.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 235
  • PASBTN.jpg
    PASBTN.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 216
  • DISBTN.jpg
    DISBTN.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 214
Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Are you freehanding those completely? The elf in the second one looks like it was taken from a picture.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

My first icon too.

EDIT: From a critique of a friend, I decided to add a small glow in the back, to make it look less awkward.

Submission.

Frightening Reality.

REMOVED. See final submission post.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I like the idea a lot. I'll comment when there's more shading and definition, etc.

Level 5
i would like to join this as well, maybe i'll learn something about icons too.

this is what i've got so far (ice reflects light right?)

Attachments

• Frost Wall.jpg
    Frost Wall.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Frost Wallpassive.jpg
    Frost Wallpassive.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 181
  • Frost Walldisabled.jpg
    Frost Walldisabled.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 163

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

So many entrants, I hope some of us don't get lost in the crowd.

It looks cool Odin, but what kind of purpose would it serve?

Level 5
i thought of an ice wall or something.
if you ever have played diablo2 it may be like the sorceress' fire wall in ice version or maybe a building for some icetrolls or magnataurs.

Level 11
I honestly doubt ice serves the purpose of this contest. You are kinda bending the theme. Same to you Werewulf. The sword, tooth and claws do not really have much to do with reflection. The gaze and mirror are fine (refering strictly to theme and not quality of the icons right now).

~Daelin

Level 5
aww:sad:
well I made a new one i call it void rift. the creature that is split in two is a troll (I think) I know it still need more work.
does tins one follow the theme?

Attachments

• Void Rift.jpg
    Void Rift.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Void RiftPassive.tga.jpg
    Void RiftPassive.tga.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 166
  • Void RiftDisabled.tga kopi.jpg
    Void RiftDisabled.tga kopi.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 173

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I really don't see what it is.

HappyTauren said:
chriz, you can make wooden background
Nah, it's staying as is, with something else in the background it will be too cluttered.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Submission #2.

Frightening Change.

REMOVED. See final submission post.

Status
Not open for further replies.