• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #1 - Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
backgrounds blurry, seems like low quality image rather then out of focus (if that's what you were going for) the waterdrop sits oddly on the group, it looks like it's upright against the background, rather then lying flat against it. Other then that, good work :)

Yep. I agree with it all. Oh, and the blurriness was intentional. Thanks for the input...

Level 9
Offtopic: Metalwarriors sig. The image was clearly taken off of Google, so thats why there is a lack of credit. The credit on the sig that is due to chaos comes from the adding of filters, the text and the border. That's how these guys make their sigs.

Off topic: It's a matter of ethics. If Chaos did so, he should have first asked for permission. AND place an URL to the original images when he posted the image to Happy. If not, then why the Hell did I not use those images to bring some Icons here??? I have almost every image of Jason Eagle on my PC, because I just love them. I will not use them for any artwork of mine, other than for ideas and such - because ideas you are allowed to use... - but NOT for raw digital graphical data.

If we still enforce those rules for artwork on THW, I say that we do so with anything else that goes on THW.

Sorry for being off-topic... But it is not fair towards Jason Eagle.

Level 36
Well of course it is, but just about everything is a matter of copyright issues nowadays. Anything you use off of google images could be subject to copyright and if you're caught using it, you're boned unless the author gave permission that the image is freely distributable and for public use by anyone. But sadly, that's not the case. If it's available on the internet, people are going to take advantage of it. It's like the images in your sig... unless you took all of them yourself or you got express permission from the author(s) to use them for your sig, you are going against your own words.

Level 36
Final offtopic comment: Well it doesn't matter because either way, your images and his images were both from Google images. They both vome from the same place and it's equally wrong to take any of them regardless of the quality of the work.

@Dalaran: The bluriness.... like I said, it makes it look like the image for the background is low quality, I think either the waterdrop isn't sharp enough or you need to dry a different blur or something, that is of course if you intend to do what I think you're trying to do which is focus the attention on the waterdrop and have the background out of focus. Not sure how you would go about doing this, but you haven't got it quite yet..,... if not of course disregard this comment :p

Level 32
Yes, the uploading system is malfunctioning.

I believe that the upload failures are affecting all users.
No new resources are being uploaded and the forums will not accept any attachments. This is really complicating things- especially for those users trying to submit entries in the Phoenix Trial and Modeling Competition.
i cant upload any files to submit my new icon
does anyone else have this prolem?

*edit* The upload bug has been exterminated. Let the submissions commence!

Last edited:
Level 2
The cauldron looks like a rounded semi-circle shape. It looks weird. Or was that intentional? I wish I could make icons like yours ... or any others.

I hope to see great better icons!

Level 10
Broken Mirror

Well, I just finished an icon for this, then realised someone else had already done a broken mirror. I guess I'll put it up here anyways.

Attachments

• PASBTNMirrorBroken.tga
    12 KB · Views: 74
  • DISBTNMirrorBroken.tga
    12 KB · Views: 64
  • BTNMirrorBroken.tga
    12 KB · Views: 79
  • BTNMirrorBroken.jpg
    BTNMirrorBroken.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 335
  • PASBTNMirrorBroken.jpg
    PASBTNMirrorBroken.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 198
  • DISBTNMirrorBroken.jpg
    DISBTNMirrorBroken.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Would be fine for a simple item in game.

Level 5
2nd submission update

Yay
here is my 2nd submission
i might add a thired one if i get an idea and enough time

oops deleted it my first version of the submission in my frustrasion over that the jpg images got screwed up

heres an update(the tga files are not really that dark, its just the jpg image that is screwed up(i think/hope)

Attachments

• BTNMagic Cauldron.jpg
    BTNMagic Cauldron.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 307
  • PASBTNMagic Cauldron kopi.jpg
    PASBTNMagic Cauldron kopi.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 194
  • DISBTNMagic Cauldron.jpg
    DISBTNMagic Cauldron.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 227
  • BTNMagic Cauldron.tga
    16 KB · Views: 103
  • PASBTNMagic Cauldron.tga
    16 KB · Views: 76
  • DISBTNMagic Cauldron.tga
    16 KB · Views: 74

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I like it, I think the metal part of the cauldron could use some definition work, and maybe the trolls finger be darker and sharper, but I like it.

Level 9
Meh... As good as a WIP - though I did not intend to have them done like this...
I'd say they could use some more W3 feeling... I couldn't do better so...
Let's see...

Ambush - Mirror Dagger
allviewambushmirrordaggwa1.jpg

The thief / assassin uses the blade of his (or her) dagger as a mirror, allowing him (her) to have a larger vision-radius.
Enhances vision during daytime.

Swordman's alertness / Uncanny perception
allviewswordmansalertnetz9.jpg

The close relation between the swordsman and his weapon reached such level that he can use it to have a clearer perception of what lurks around him. He thus have a better vision and a more powerful strike, as he is prepared against the upcoming danger
Enhances vision (both day and night) and attack. Perhaps can allow to perceive invisible units.

Mesmerize
allviewmesmerizekx9.jpg

The spell causes the enemy to have a multiplied vision of itself as in a broken mirror, shattering its confidence and will to fight, while strengthening its impulse to flee the battlefield.
Stuns the target unit for a short/medium interval, also causing a further drop in its attack rate (medium / large) while increasing its movement speed (medium / large). The attack rate & movement speed should have effects of same duration, to ensure a balanced overall ability/spell importance.

These are my icons...

Please, feel free to criticise as I felt while criticising others, perhaps even you.

Cheers, everyone!

This is what I meant to be seen in the icons:

phoenixtrialambushmirrozw3.jpg
phoenixtrialswordmansaljo1.jpg
phoenixtrialmesmerizeprxr6.jpg

Attachments

• BTNPTAmbushMirrorDagger.tga
    12 KB · Views: 81
  • BTNPTAmbushMirrorDaggerAutocast.tga
    12 KB · Views: 130
  • DISPASBTNPTAmbushMirrorDagger.tga
    12 KB · Views: 90
  • PASBTNPTAmbushMirrorDagger.tga
    12 KB · Views: 68
  • DISBTNPTAmbushMirrorDagger.tga
    12 KB · Views: 91
  • BTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperception.tga
    12 KB · Views: 124
  • DISBTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperception.tga
    12 KB · Views: 70
  • PASBTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperception.tga
    12 KB · Views: 115
  • DISPASBTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperception.tga
    12 KB · Views: 123
  • BTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperceptionAutocast.tga
  • BTNPTMesmerizeAutocast.tga
    12 KB · Views: 78
  • DISPASBTNPTMesmerize.tga
    12 KB · Views: 73
  • DISBTNPTMesmerize.tga
    12 KB · Views: 107
  • BTNPTMesmerize.tga
  • PASBTNPTMesmerize.tga
    12 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Mesmerize is too bright, looks very faded and under-defined.

The other two are so chaotic, I can't tell what they are to be honest.

EDIT: Now I see what they are.

First one: There's way too many small details in the dagger, at the correct size it is too difficult to see. And the glove, well you just can't tell it's a glove unless it's very close up.

Second one: So many colorful arrows, but that's about all I get. And some eyes glowing in a blade.

Third: Why is there a faint grid behind the picture? It looks like a bunch of squishy eyeballs, nothing like a broken mirror.

Don't take this as harsh, it's not intended like that at all.

Level 9
1) I know... that's what happens when you design at near 599x / 666x then resize to 64x.

2) Arrows? That's a sword, with a handle, blade and sheath. The sheath has some emeralds encrusted, but no arrows anywhere...

3) I meant to imitate a kaleidoscope effect... As I see, I also failed in doing so!

Well... to tired and too late to do anything about 'em anymore...

Level 8
While the concept for them all is good, I am just not quite sure that they are executed properly. In the actual size, they all seem a bit cluttered, and with the first two it is difficult to tell what's what. I agree with most of what Chriz said above. Good work, though, and good luck in the judging soon to come...

Level 19
Here are my icons ...
My time is so limited since I'm busy with much thinks.

These are my icons, I couldn't finish my shield fully but I hope that the result is fine.

Have fun with it.

~- Heero

Attachments

• ReflectLight.tga
    16 KB · Views: 60
  • ReflectSpell.tga
    16 KB · Views: 53
  • ShieldofReflection.tga
    16 KB · Views: 53
  • ReflectSpell.jpg
    ReflectSpell.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 332
  • PASBTNReflectSpell.jpg
    PASBTNReflectSpell.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 159
  • DISBTNReflectSpell.jpg
    DISBTNReflectSpell.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 146
  • BTNReflectLight.jpg
    BTNReflectLight.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 270
  • PASBTNReflectLight.jpg
    PASBTNReflectLight.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 155
  • DISBTNShieldofReflection.jpg
    DISBTNShieldofReflection.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 149
  • PASBTNShieldofReflection.jpg
    PASBTNShieldofReflection.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 174
  • ShieldofReflection.jpg
    ShieldofReflection.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 291
  • DISBTNReflectLight.jpg
    DISBTNReflectLight.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 148
Level 9
Ok... after a brief chat with Daelin, he talked me into giving one more try to my submission. Therefore, here's an update to my Uncanny Perception.

swordmansalertnessuncandh8.jpg

I don't expect too much from this night concerning the other 2 icons but... who knows?

Edit:
swordmansalertnessuncanpz1.jpg

As you can notice, I just added a background glow at the suggestion of a friend.

Attachments

• BTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperception.tga
    12 KB · Views: 80
  • DISBTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperception.tga
    12 KB · Views: 94
  • PASBTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperception.tga
    12 KB · Views: 92
  • DISPASBTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperception.tga
    12 KB · Views: 90
  • BTNPTSwordmansalertnessUncannyperceptionAutocast.tga
    12 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Yup, glow made a big difference. The new version looks much better.

Level 9
I am not sure I stand a chance in this contest, yet.... grrrrr.... I still want to run for it...
Chriz, thank you so much for your feedback!

Edit:
This is the down-sampled image, from 666x666 (believe it or not, it is purely random as I once cropped the image) to 256x256.
salertnessuncannypercepvb3.jpg

Level 8
Hey everyone. I know I'm late, but my internet's been down for the past 6 hours. Anyway, no excuse for being late. I hope that my entries will still be taken into consideration, though I understand completely if they can't be. Good job and good luck all!

Mirror of Antiquity, Foresight, and Reflection

Attachments

• mirror64.jpg
    mirror64.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 377
  • mirror64_.jpg
    mirror64_.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 169
  • mirror64__.JPG
    mirror64__.JPG
    4 KB · Views: 181
  • eyelash.jpg
    eyelash.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 365
  • eyelash_.jpg
    eyelash_.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 177
  • eyelash__.jpg
    eyelash__.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 221
  • waterdrop.JPG
    waterdrop.JPG
    9.6 KB · Views: 348
  • waterdrop_.JPG
    waterdrop_.JPG
    8.8 KB · Views: 195
  • waterdrop__.JPG
    waterdrop__.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 166
Level 11
No more entires accepted after this post. I will start a poll as soon as I get home and have long term internet access. Thanks for joining the contest guys. This is going to be really exciting. :) Good luck everyone!

You may still post here until I start the poll but do not "vote" just yet.

~Daelin

Status
Not open for further replies.