• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #2 - Power of Command

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 32
Welcome to
The Hive Workshop's

BTNDizzy01.jpg
Phoenix Trial #2

Theme
All trials have a common generic theme around which very many ideas can come to life, yet keep something in common.

The theme of Phoenix Trial #2 is Power of Command.

Real time strategy games revolve around directing a formidable army led by a powerful commander. The command palette icons provided By Blizzard in Warcraft III have long been used by players to issue orders to their forces on innumerable fields of battle.

The time has arrived for The Hive Workshop's best icon editors to produce a complete set of powerful command palette icons! Map makers can then use the product(s) to enhance the aesthetic appeal of their powerful maps.

Each arena gladiator must decide how best to make their set of icons look powerful. They will need to call upon all of their icon editing skills (or learn new ones) to produce a powerful, commanding set of icons that will appeal to judges, voters, and consumers.

Eight icons must be created to successfully complete this rigorous trial.

BTNAttack.JPGBTNAttack.blpBTNAttackGround.JPGBTNAttackGround.blp
BTNCancel.JPGBTNCancel.blpBTNHoldPosition.JPGBTNHoldPosition.blp
BTNMove.JPGBTNMove.blpBTNPatrol.JPGBTNPatrol.blp
BTNSkillz.JPGBTNSkilz.blpBTNStop.JPGBTNStop.blp

Rules:

1. All icons must adhere to the established icon rules.

2. Active and disabled versions of all icons are required.

3. No plain screenshots (or shallowly modified) icons are permitted.

4. The icons must be made specifically for the contest. No previous works are allowed.

5. Blizzard icon naming conventions must be followed: BTNAttack*.blp etc.
    • Example: DISBTNHoldPositionBlackDoom.blp

6. Works in progress (WIPs) of the icons are encouraged as they keep the contest active.

7. The icons must be physically attached to a post when complete. (.blp files only!)

8. An in-game screenshot must be included with all submissions.

9. Individual users may undergo the trial: teams may not.

10. Judges may not participate in the contest.

11. No irrelevant, non-constructive or off-topic posts will be tolerated in this thread.

Prizes And Winnings

• The winner of Phoenix Trial # 2 will be awarded an official medal icon and 60 reputation points.
  • The contest's runner up will receive 30 reputation points.
  • The third place contestant will receive 20 reputation points.

Judging:
  • 50% of the score will determined by a public poll. The rest of the score will be determined by one or more specialized judges.

• Critical judging elements for both voters and specialized judges are:
    • Creativity. The icons' originality and uniqueness are vitally important.
    • Blizzard feeling. Icons should be executed in such a manner that they can be implemented in a Warcraft map and compliment other Blizzard icons.
    • Technical Note. The quality of the icons is the most important thing. They must be detailed yet clear (throwing a lot of elements in a 64x64 image will usually look crowded).

Time Allowed And Deadline

• Due to the exhaustive nature of this demanding trial, four weeks will be alloted for its completion.
  • Phoenix Trial #2 has officially begun and will conclude on
    19 July, 2007 (0:00 AM, GMT).
  • The deadline is very unlikely to be extended.
[TD][/TD] [td][/td]

Good luck & have fun!

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

I like the idea, but I'm reluctant to say I'll join due to exams and vacations.

Maybe when I visit my brother in the states for a few weeks I'll work from his computer, I would like to make an effort.

Now for a good idea..

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

New ones to replace those. Meaning an attack one, hold position, stop, walk etc.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

They can be used either way.. that s a matter of importing, not actually making the icon.

But you want ones that can replace the current ones, yes, thats the point.

Level 3
14. July? I'm in, if I can. But one question: What exactly do you mean by hand drawing? Should I make the Icon just with a brush or what? Or are things like rectangulars etc. allowed? (Maybe a stupid question)

What exactly do you mean by hand drawing? Should I make the Icon just with a brush or what? Or are things like rectangulars etc. allowed? (Maybe a stupid question)

When we say "made by hand" that means actually doing something and drawing/painting/whatever for them. That means NO copy and paste jobs, NO recolors, NO filter abuse, etc.

Yes, but no filter abuse. As in applying 50 different filters to make it "lok cool".

The only person who is good with lots of filters is Heiro-San.

People can use filters as much as they want to, how do you know if he is the only one good with filters? How can you 100% tell if people have made their stuff using some filters or not?

Level 45
People can use filters as much as they want to, how do you know if he is the only one good with filters? How can you 100% tell if people have made their stuff using some filters or not?

Filters are not Freehanded, people need to learn how to draw first before whacking in warps. That is why its best suggested you DONT use filters because your just learning how to use filters, not to draw or make art at all.

Level 2
Alright! Im in this contest! Let the pencil flow like the river!
Oh and btw, why is there no 'Stop' icon? Just the cancel icon but no stop..

Am I right in assuming that the icons don't need to resemble the blizzard icon? Such as the 'Stop' doesnt neccessarilly need to be a shield?

Yes you're right. The whole point is to be original. But make the stop icon resemble something that could mean "stop", but that's up to you to figure out stuff.

And yes, I'm in. I just haven't started yet. But so that no one steals my idea, mine is something magical or enchanted-woodsy.

No stealing or I will be forced to quote the above statement!

We do have a long time to do them in.

Here's my first one. Looks more like a spell than a command icon. I also dunno which command it should be for.

It was made using some clouds stock pictures and a really cool tutorial of doing lightning that I found.

Why do the icons have to compliment blizzard ones?

Attachments

• lightning.jpg
    lightning.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.