• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #1 - Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 45
BTNDemonGaze
BTNDemonGaze.jpg
PASBTNDemonGaze.jpg
DISBTNDemonGaze.jpg

BTNBeetleQueensMirror
BTNTheBeetleQueensMirror-1.jpg
PASBTNTheBeetleQueensMirror.jpg
DISBTNTheBeetleQueensMirror.jpg

Last edited:
Level 8
It's more crisp now, the mirror border. The DIS version is not correctly constructed (the BTN metal border is not supposed to be visible...).

The ripples in the mirror would use some little smoothing, is it not so?
Overall, it's ok...

Ya, I noticed the borders after I had posted and didn't have the time to fix them right away. While I agre concerning the ripples, smoothing them always seems to make them indistiguishable from regular water. Not sure what I'll do though. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Level 9
Well, yes, I know... smoothing those ripples would significantly reduce the feature you want to be visible... Yet the sharpen effect is quite noticeable.

I want to correct my previous post... It's not "more crisp" but "crisper". So... sorry!

And, yes, a conclusion would be interesting! Waiting!!!!

Level 8
Well, my last IconEntry with some wip's till it's finished. Just took screenshots, it may be something left out, after I failed, I started from picture 3 again, something like that. Order should be ok now, but I was nearly finished with this one, so I redo the first versions to show it's creating, does not look that good, but as Icon it'll be awesome :smile:
Gonna make my entry of all three icons later on.

Chaos

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 248
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 202
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 225
  • BTN_Shell.jpg
    BTN_Shell.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Daelin, I'm completely confused. I assumed CnP wasn't allowed at all in the contest, but the rules don't mention it, and only link to the guidelines that say at least 50% freehand. Is this the case?

Just so I stop telling people off for CnP if I'm unjustified.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

This is going to be a giant poll, if ten people enter, there will be 30 icons to choose from.

How many will be taken for judging? The top five?

Level 11
You won't be able to make the vote choice between all icons... you will only be able to vote for an author (but of course mentioning the icon). It would be stupid to make a poll with multiple submissions of the same author, as an author would practically compete with his own icons. It would be nice to mention your favorite icon though...

-Daelin

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Daelin, I'm completely confused. I assumed CnP wasn't allowed at all in the contest, but the rules don't mention it, and only link to the guidelines that say at least 50% freehand. Is this the case?

Just so I stop telling people off for CnP if I'm unjustified.

Forgot to answer my question.

Level 9
Is it not package-judging not that democratic? I mean, it's like, if I make 1 icon actually great but the other 2 are scam... It would have been nice to vote for individual icons...

Anyway... It will be as good as it is. Perhaps with some other occasion we could make rules a bit clear regarding these aspects of a contest.

Chriz - the CnP thing... We all use Copy actions when we edit or design something, so CnP is allowed as method but forbidden as unique method of design creation. Thus, if you got someone who presents an icon like 50% similar (in colour, shape, intensity or other image-related parameters) with a given resource, then yes, CnP can be accused. If, on the other hand, someone used an IDEA not images/parts of image(s) to develop that design, CnP should not be an impediment.

Either way, it remains in the hands of the moderator/admin who takes care of that resource section. Yup - Daelin, please, post an answer some time soon...

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Chriz - the CnP thing... We all use Copy actions when we edit or design something, so CnP is allowed as method but forbidden as unique method of design creation. Thus, if you got someone who presents an icon like 50% similar (in colour, shape, intensity or other image-related parameters) with a given resource, then yes, CnP can be accused. If, on the other hand, someone used an IDEA not images/parts of image(s) to develop that design, CnP should not be an impediment.

CnP means literally copying something from an existing image, and pasting it into your own work. Not just looking at something for reference, that doesn't even fall under the category of CnP.

And the only reason I make a fuss is because this is a contest based on artistic talent, and it would seem strange for the winning submission to actually be a merge of 3 existing images, with some blur and flashy filters put on it, when others put time and effort in to hand make their entries.

Level 8
Well, yes, I know... smoothing those ripples would significantly reduce the feature you want to be visible... Yet the sharpen effect is quite noticeable.

Actually, though this will sound odd, I don't use the sharpen too often. That entire work was dodge/burn and blur based off of a blue oval and a green blob. I suppose I'll just smooth it a bit regardless.

Level 7
I took a look at this. Really interesting contest! ^^
But my limited tools *AHEMMMPAINTMM* don't allow me to make nice Icons.
You said the theme was reflexion... Still, i'm surprised that no one had this idea:

Attachments

• prisme.jpg
    prisme.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 78
Level 8
I took a look at this. Really interesting contest! ^^
But my limited tools *AHEMMMPAINTMM* don't allow me to make nice Icons.
You said the theme was reflexion... Still, i'm surprised that no one had this idea:

Interesting idea. Oh, and nice job, especially with paint as your only editing tool. You may want to check out GIMP. It is much like photoshop, except that it is completely free online.

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

But what purpose does an icon like that serve in Warcraft? Don't forget this isn't only being judged on the quality of the icon, but:

Rules said:
- Blizzard feeling. Make the icon in such a manner that it can be implemented in a Warcraft map and goes well with the other blizzard icons.

Level 8
Well, nobody thought to that as none would be thinking about diffraction or refraction. That prism you shown (as on an album cover of Pink Floyd) emphasizes exactly the process of diffraction, not reflection.

Just FYI

prism /ˈprɪzəm/
–noun 1. Optics. a transparent solid body, often having triangular bases, used for dispersing light into a spectrum or for reflecting rays of light.

I figure if reflecting is in the definition, then it's fair game... :)\

Oh yeah, I guess I'll throw these in while I'm at it...

Foresight

Last edited:

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

By the way, I updated my submission with a matching skin tone for the hand and face of "Vanity."

Level 45
DL Here:
HiQuality(99 compression)
LoQuality(75 compression)

DL Making of the Demon Mirror:
DemonMirrorVid
Description:
Well yes, the compression does it no justice, its blurry and dont follow the video or learn from it, im just being casual in it.

BTNDemonMirror(reflection)-Sozz, yes, its blurry >.<
BTNDemonMirror.jpg
PASBTNDemonMirror.jpg
DISBTNDemonMirror.jpg

ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNDemonMirror.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNDemonMirror.blp
ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\PASBTNDemonMirror.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISPASBTNDemonMirror.blp

BTNDemonGaze
BTNDemonGaze.jpg
PASBTNDemonGaze.jpg
DISBTNDemonGaze.jpg

ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNDemonGaze.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNDemonGaze.blp
ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\PASBTNDemonGaze.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISPASBTNDemonGaze.blp

BTNBeetleQueensMirror
BTNTheBeetleQueensMirror-1.jpg
PASBTNTheBeetleQueensMirror.jpg
DISBTNTheBeetleQueensMirror.jpg

ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtons\BTNBeetleQueensMirror.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISBTNBeetleQueensMirror.blp
ReplaceableTextures\PassiveButtons\PASBTNBeetleQueensMirror.blp
ReplaceableTextures\CommandButtonsDisabled\DISPASBTNBeetleQueensMirror.blp

Level 5
1st submission

here is my first submission hope this will be accepted

Attachments

• BTNRune of reflection kopi.jpg
    BTNRune of reflection kopi.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 346
  • PASBTNRune of reflection kopi.jpg
    PASBTNRune of reflection kopi.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 218
  • DISBTNRune of reflection kopi.jpg
    DISBTNRune of reflection kopi.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 224
  • BTNRune of reflection.tga
    16 KB · Views: 59
  • PASBTNRune of reflection.tga
    16 KB · Views: 62
  • DISBTNRune of reflection.tga
    16 KB · Views: 59

Deleted member 126647

D

Deleted member 126647

Looks cool as a passive icon, might make a good aura.

Level 9
Metal Warrior - where do you got that image in your sig? Is it Jason's Eagle artwork? Because that guy draws superb images!!!

Other than that... Hope to get my sketches from paper to digital these days... then I'll edit them and post them when I am happy with the result.

Cheers, all!
And vote for THW!

Level 32
Ahem.

Back on topic: The icons that have been submitted so far vary greatly in composition, style and utility. These icons are certain sure to beef up our WE icon inventories with a variety of unusual BTNs that have been derived from an extremely difficult challenge theme.

Level 36
Happytauren lol I like yours. Herro yours is nice as well :) Offtopic: Metalwarriors sig. The image was clearly taken off of Google, so thats why there is a lack of credit. The credit on the sig that is due to chaos comes from the adding of filters, the text and the border. That's how these guys make their sigs.

Status
Not open for further replies.