• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #7 - Attribute icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I'm making the common Strength, Agility and Intelligence attributes, with each of them represented by a naga creature. Here's a WIP of my concept for the Strength.

Quite blurry isn't it- so I'll fix it during the weekend, as well as try to finish the other icons :)

Attachments

• ATTMyrSTR2.gif
    ATTMyrSTR2.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 150
Level 25
I call fail on this contest. Haven't seen ONE icon yet that looks like traditional WC3 attributes, such a great shame. However the existing submissions are really good. :)

That what I was trying to tell them to make from the beginning
but they found the original ones "boring"
:/ I will vote for the closest ones to the original and not the fanciest.

Level 16
That what I was trying to tell them to make from the beginning
but they found the original ones "boring"
:/ I will vote for the closest ones to the original and not the fanciest.
When I create an icon I try to be creative. I try to put a little bit of myself into it. Especially in a contest like this. If this was about making an icon that looks exactly like the original why even bother with a contest? I thought (think) this is about making something special. If you want an icon of an arm, you can find a thousand of them on Google. If you want intelligence to be represented by a brain or agility by a simple leg, you can find it elsewhere. What fun is there, as an artist, to copy or create something that looks exactly like an existing work. I'd like to see a little creativity here. Screw the original icons. It's like hosting a terrain contest but saying you can only use blizzard cliffs because thats how they made the original wc3. Like hosting a spell contest that restricts people from doing anything beyond a single cast aoe effect. Yes, the theme was attribute icons, but it is up to the artists to take that theme and make it into something more (does not imply total freedom, heck i'm all for a theme). It doesn't mean sticking to the same old boring (yes boring!) icons from wc3!

/end rant

Level 6
banana, I think that, what they meant was that, these Icons look, for the most part, like something that could go with an ability, rather than an attribute, they weren't looking for an arm, or a leg, but merely something that wouldn't look just plain wierd as an attribute icon.
Or at least, that is how I interpreted it.

Level 31
When I create an icon I try to be creative. I try to put a little bit of myself into it. Especially in a contest like this. If this was about making an icon that looks exactly like the original why even bother with a contest? I thought (think) this is about making something special. If you want an icon of an arm, you can find a thousand of them on Google. If you want intelligence to be represented by a brain or agility by a simple leg, you can find it elsewhere. What fun is there, as an artist, to copy or create something that looks exactly like an existing work. I'd like to see a little creativity here. Screw the original icons. It's like hosting a terrain contest but saying you can only use blizzard cliffs because thats how they made the original wc3. Like hosting a spell contest that restricts people from doing anything beyond a single cast aoe effect. Yes, the theme was attribute icons, but it is up to the artists to take that theme and make it into something more (does not imply total freedom, heck i'm all for a theme). It doesn't mean sticking to the same old boring (yes boring!) icons from wc3!

agree

banana, I think that, what they meant was that, these Icons look, for the most part, like something that could go with an ability, rather than an attribute, they weren't looking for an arm, or a leg, but merely something that wouldn't look just plain wierd as an attribute icon.
Or at least, that is how I interpreted it.

they are looking for the exact same attributes icons of blizzard.

Level 48
kola, who are you to decide what I am looking for?

I'm complaining because no one made an icon that looks good as an attribute in a WC3 game. I'm not complaining because there are no agility\strength\intelligence icons or whatever. I'm not complaining because no one recreated Blizzard's icons. I'm complaining because 5\6 of the submissions don't use attribute borders, I'm complaining because no submission so far has this nice rock\metal background with intense black shading around the object, I'm complaining because only ONE submission follows one simple color scheme, all the submissions look like they'd much easier belong to an ability or something rather than an attribute.

Last edited:
Level 16
You're missing my entire point. Why would you want to spend your time designing something boring like that. And don't give me that 'it's a challenge' crap. Fact is we have a lot less entries than previous contests and with only 4 days to go I doubt many more will join. That's not because its such a 'challenge' to create an attribute icon, it's because its dead boring. And anyone that takes a little artistic freedom gets burned.

I hope next time the people who vote for the theme actually enter the contest.

Level 12
bananaHUNT also brings up a good point, and I totally agree with him.

Plus, I think that everyone should advise & encourage the contestants to change their submissions instead of complaining that none are "such such"...No offense to anyone.

Level 25
All I see are abilities fitting icons and not attributes, that was my point and not cnp'ing the Blizzard ones
For Example take a look at those 3 made by Naro (not perfect but may do the job):
icons_10149_btn.jpg

icons_10144_btn.jpg

icons_10135_btn.jpg

And when I try to suggest that icons look like these, people are getting offended left and right for some reason.

Level 16

151014-albums2321-picture34028.gif

@ Debode: Regarding your feedback for my icons, yesss~ I do plan to have a different naga creature for each attribute. Siren for Intelligence is almost a sure thing, but the snap dragon is my 2nd choice after couatl for Agility. I'm still a bit undecided about the rock/metal background, considering my Strength icon already takes up so much space, but since it is just a simple add-on so maybe I'll fit something in.. :)

Also thanks everyone who have gave their feedback so far. Flame on!

Level 15
What the hell? I.. I just don't understand a shit.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/1664836-post134.html
Can you guys, Debode, Cweener,[..] Tell me whats wrong on it? And i mean, not talking about how well made is it or not, but on all those points you were discussing. Just to give an example.

• Creativity 20%
  • The icons' originality and uniqueness are vitally important.

That's why I don't understand the point of why you want strength, agility and intelligence.

I think we are ALL looking this contests in a different way.

Level 16
WIP of my naga Agility attribute. If you can't tell, then allow me to say that its meant to be a couatl! :s

@Cpt.ZnacK: Yo and thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how adding a background to that icon will help, because there isn't much space left to draw on. Plus I'm making a set, so if an underwater background were to apply to a flying creature for example, it just really work..

Attachments

• ATTCouAGI3.gif
    ATTCouAGI3.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 161
Level 16
Hmm.. I'm not too happy with my concept either. Going to fix it :>

(Edit)

Do these strike you as 'Agility' or 'Speed' in anyway? Alternatively I could also resort to the 'half-body' method that I use for drawing Strength - maybe just the couatl's head and wing. The only thing I'm ruling out is to draw a leg x)

(Edit 2)

Screw couatl. They don't look very naga-ish anyway. I'm shaping my concept around the snap dragon.

Last edited:
Level 11
Hmmm interesting, I think makeing icons with one collor is not boring but rather a different aproach to art, I mean there are cool black ink pictures for example. Colorfullnes (thats a word right :) ) is not good or bad. I think simple color scheme is appropriate for this contest, but thats just me, as far as creativity goes theres not whole lot you can do since theme is just so limited I tryed makeing attribute icons as coins so you can invest in eather one like some sort of creativity, thats as far as i can go while still someone who first sees mine icons can pretty much identify them. As for banana I think you overdid it I mean how can you tell what each icon means (no offence your icon quality is superb). For anyone that disagreas with me dont get pissed off this is just my opinion and I'm just putting it out there. Oh yea I wanted to put ATT border pictures since some of you complained about it, I've got them in my zip files as blp icon but here are png pictures so you dont have to download to see how it looks like, I will attach this pictures to my post with zip files also so here you go thx for reading this comment, waisting your time and sorry for bad spelling i tryed my best.

Attachments

• ATTEndurance.png
    ATTEndurance.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 666
  • ATTPerception.blp.png
    ATTPerception.blp.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 649
  • ATTPersonality.blp.png
    ATTPersonality.blp.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 665
Level 23
184486-albums3456-picture34049.gif