• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #7 - Attribute icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
kola, The one major thing I dislike about your work is the color. Green for offense? Usually, offensive thingies, especially if the hero using them is a brute, are made with 'hot' colors. Red, orange , yellow-red-orange etc. Basically because these colors are offensive lookin'. Red is often used in a case of rage of some sort. For defense, I think I've seen some orange icons, but most of them were green,blue, (gray?) generally cold colored.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the icons look ugly or anything, I think the opposite. I'm just lettin' ya know my opinion :>

By the way, green is the best choice for a rogue type of character, which seems to be the thing here.. If that's the case - well done ! :D

Level 12
So i might join if i create something better then usual crap i do, ok heres wip on my first icon, i leave it up to you to guess what it is.

wta8tu.jpg

Edit: Also if someone doesnt belive its my work i have layered PSD file to prove the oposite

Last edited:
Level 12
Lightskin bro, when I look at your ship resistance icon, it doesn't make me think about resistance at all. It looks like speed or something.

I recommend adding something to it, maybe water at a specific level with a wave splashing against the ship. Just an idea.

Sword Mastery WIP, then I'll go with daggers and staff/wands mastery. Or something in this way, idea is still evolving.

Edit: Strength/Sword Mastery finished, maybe I'll edit it a bit more.
Edit: Another update

Banana, nice icons :)

Attachments

• SwordMasteryWIP.png
    SwordMasteryWIP.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 227
  • BTNSwordMastery.png
    BTNSwordMastery.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 267
  • BTNSwordMastery1.png
    BTNSwordMastery1.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 365
Last edited:
Level 11
Its been a while since i posted on hive or made icons... But here I am.
My enterys are Endurance, Perception and Personality, possibly final icons but not likely. These are just BTN borders but I put blp images with all borders in zip files.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• BTNEndurance.png
    BTNEndurance.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 483
  • BTNPerception.png
    BTNPerception.png
    9.2 KB · Views: 518
  • BTNPersonality.png
    BTNPersonality.png
    8.7 KB · Views: 478
  • Endurance.rar
    31.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Personality.rar
    29.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Perception.rar
    30.5 KB · Views: 41
Level 25
Its been a while since i posted on hive or made icons... But here I am.
My enterys are Endurance, Perception and Personality, possibly final icons but not likely. These are just BTN borders but I put blp images with all borders in zip files.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

You my friend did it right.
Gratz if no one else goes the same road you'll get my vote

Level 15
The other icons didn't really liked me, so i started new ones, with another... "Style".

260.gif Pirate Ship Attributes 260.gif

Here's the finished FirePower attribute:

BTNFirePowerNEW.jpgDISBTNFirePowerNEW.jpgATTFirePower.jpg

FirePower: It's the ability of the Ship to damage another fleets. By increasing this attribute your ship will cause more damage to its targets.

Here's the finished Speed attribute:

BTNSpeedNEW.jpgDISBTNSpeedNEW.jpgATTSpeed.jpg

Speed: It's how fast the ship will travel. By increasing this attribute your ship will accelerate and navigate more faster.

Here's the finished Resistance attribute:

BTNResistanceFEMUR.jpgDISBTNResistanceFEMUR.jpgATTResistance.jpg

Resistance: It's how many damage your ship can take before sinking. By increasing this attribute your ship will resist more damage without sinking.

IngameScreenshot.jpg

Attachments

• BTNFirePowerNEW.blp
    8.1 KB · Views: 107
  • DISBTNFirePowerNEW.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 70
  • BTNResistanceFEMUR.blp
    7.8 KB · Views: 73
  • DISBTNResistanceFEMUR.blp
    5.7 KB · Views: 115
  • BTNSpeedNEW.blp
    8.2 KB · Views: 78
  • DISBTNSpeedNEW.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 72
  • ATTFirePower.blp
    7.4 KB · Views: 79
  • ATTSpeed.blp
    7.7 KB · Views: 75
  • ATTResistance.blp
    7.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Level 31
Ahem. That's why names(text) are there.

Even with names, some icons are not understandable. (not talking of Bananahunt's icons)

You shouldn't have to read the tooltip. Icons should be very intuitive, no explaining needed. Think of road signs.

True

Not sure if I should go with the background colours..

I would keep them, but idk if the quality will down in BLP file, check that and if it doesnt rly changes, keep them.

I disagree. Icons aren't guessing games, they should just illustrate something, that you'll need to read, after all.
and bananahunt's icons are just awesome
(id keep the backgrounds... it's nice that you made the agility-like one green, strenght-like one red and intelligence-like one blue... that's a convention we're used to, helps sorting them out)

Level 31
it's nice that you made the agility-like one green, strenght-like one red and intelligence-like one blue

u are wrong, the Agility like of banana is Red and the Strg like is green in this.

Insanity = Damage, Crit and Endurance is Health so endurance isnt agility.

Its more like Not Agi and not Str lol.

I disagree. Icons aren't guessing games

lol, No they are not, thats why u need to make them clear, or they will become guessing games lol...

EDIT: Entry page 7

Last edited:
Level 15
It's pretty cool to know what the icon try to say, for example, i could NEVER understood blizz' Wind Walk icon :S

I agree with HC when he mentions: "they should just illustrate something, that you'll need to read, after all.".
But i still think that icons are much better when they are understandable at the first moments. Cuz of that i hate WindWalk icon xD

Status
Not open for further replies.