• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #5 - Hero Ability Icon Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
@Kyrbi0
Sure you don't have to make the icon represent the spell "mythologically correct", but the point of this contest is to make a new icon for a spell, hopefully better or more accurate than the Blizzard one(otherwise it would be kinda pointless to use it xD).

Now, as Avator said, let's bury that discussion. It's not leading anywhere.

@BananaHUNT
The second one looks much better, but it needs more fiery glow. Let it burn!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@Kyrbi0
Sure you don't have to make the icon represent the spell "mythologically correct", but the point of this contest is to make a new icon for a spell, hopefully better or more accurate than the Blizzard one
Better != More Accurate.

The point of the contest is to make a Re-Interpretation of a current (4) Blizzard hero-ability icons. Whether it's 'better' or 'more accurate' or not depends on both the skill of the artist and how s/he Re-Interprets the ability in question.

Avator said:
Kyrbi0, I'm not even going to bother typing it out again. Read the previous posts before talking about something. Both the submission limit and the old Phoenix icon have been widely discussed and you're only bringing up old arguments that have been proven senseless long ago. So read the previous posts and if you don't feel like reading it: Don't post about those subjects at all.
Bah, you think I would post without having read the previous posts? Nonsense.

Anyway. If you think you're right (about 5+ entries being allowed), then explain to me how doing the same thing for any other contest makes sense. I.e. Submitting 2+ heroes for a Hero Contest. Or submitting 2+ models for a Modelling contest. Or submitting 2+ terrains for a Terraining contest. Ad nauseaum.

~~~

I actually really like the 4 "example" icons that were posted on the front page. I'm looking for more of that stuff, actually. :p

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Kyrbi0 is just jealous
Yes, yes that's exctly what I am. Green with intense jealousy. xD

Just_Spectating said:
and hes not submitting 5...... hes submitting his 4 best ones.

only the people in this thread would know about the other ones he made, so the public poll can still vary by a lot.
Ah, that's an entirely different story. I fully support the entrants physically creating as many icons (or what-have-you). It's just a matter of how many the entrant in question actually submits as their entry.

Take the most recent modelling contest as a perfect example. Skrab and Mr.Bob both made several models. They (themselves) picked which one they liked best. But they submitted only 1 (each). That's perfectly fair.
Likewise, if all of you artists have the time or creativity to pump out 20 icons; more power to you (sad, life-wasting wretches :p). Just keep your submission down to the regulated-Maximum.

Level 30
1: original
2: added bubles and made the poison seethrough.
3: added some contrast on 2.

what's the best one?

Attachments

• poisonbottle2.jpg
    poisonbottle2.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 39
  • poisonbottle3.jpg
    poisonbottle3.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 47
  • poisonbottlecontrast.jpg
    poisonbottlecontrast.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 34
Level 18
No, he's definitely the howling person. It's indeed not fitting to the Pit Lord. He should either change the icon to the victim or make a completely new icon, showing the Pit Lord, which is probably too much effort.

No, were not making alternates, we're making hero icon replacements. Replacements of icons of the existing Wc3 heroes.

No, he's definitely the howling person. It's indeed not fitting to the Pit Lord. He should either change the icon to the victim or make a completely new icon, showing the Pit Lord, which is probably too much effort.

No, were not making alternates, we're making hero icon replacements. Replacements of icons of the existing Wc3 heroes.

Still i see no rules in this competition against alternate casters... It is still Paladons decision though...

Edit: I could just change the roar color to red and call it battle roar ;P its a hero abillity, but non hero actually got it xD... (Look for you self if you want too...)

Level 17
I wouldn't have seen it as Avatar if you hadn't said it. I was going towards Soul Burn :O
The first one looks better, the glow just gives the icon a strange color.

My suggested changes:

I think you need to fix the shape of the eye, it's rather... odd...
I also think you should make the flame blue. At least i connect blue to Avatar.
Maybe add some beard at the very bottom of the icon, the MK has alot of beard.

Damn, i need to start working on my bash icon and another icon :S

Level 30
both are, sorry to say that, kinda ugly.

If you comment on a resource, be sure to say why you don't like whatever someone posted. That sure would help a lot. Now people would think you're some kind of asshole because you never even made an icon.
I'm sure you're not some kind of asshole.

I wouldn't have seen it as Avatar if you hadn't said it. I was going towards Soul Burn :O
The first one looks better, the glow just gives the icon a strange color.

My suggested changes:

I think you need to fix the shape of the eye, it's rather... odd...
I also think you should make the flame blue. At least i connect blue to Avatar.
Maybe add some beard at the very bottom of the icon, the MK has alot of beard.

Damn, i need to start working on my bash icon and another icon :S

yes, I was thinking more of some rage kinda thingy, hence the flame but blue could be better. I should try it.
The shape of the eye ... I'm not sure since most wc3 icons, skins etc ... have very simplistic eyes.
About the beard, I could try it but I think it would just look weird.

If you comment on a resource, be sure to say why you don't like whatever someone posted. That sure would help a lot. Now people would think you're some kind of asshole because you never even made an icon.
lol? he just gave his opinion, what does this have to do the fact that he didn't make any icons?
and I say the same, it looks ugly.
The body shape is the same one you had before. Bad shaped body overall. Warcraft blur effects are usually 2 or 3 pictures with transparency, put one aside the other, until barely nothing can be seen in the last one, it looks more blizzard-ish and better as well.

Level 30
lol? he just gave his opinion, what does this have to do the fact that he didn't make any icons?
and I say the same, it looks ugly.
The body shape is the same one you had before. Bad shaped body overall. Warcraft blur effects are usually 2 or 3 pictures with transparency, put one aside the other, until barely nothing can be seen in the last one, it looks more blizzard-ish and better as well.

You don't just say someone's work is ugly, You say WHY.
Do you suffer some kind of mental disorder that you don't see it has absolutely no use and will only make someone feel bad? Also do notice the part that says "I'm sure you're no asshole".
Also, you're talking about a body? That kinda confuses me because I thought you were talking about my newer icon. I could try ... you mean like the bash effect ... blue hammers right?

you're talking about a body? That kinda confuses me because I thought you were talking about my newer icon. I could try ... you mean like the bash effect ... blue hammers right?
Oh, I didn't see the new icon, I was talking about the Evasion... oh, your newer icon...
It doesn't resemble Avatar, more like a Soul Burn, imo. The fire looks bad, it doesn't 'blend' with the eye. It looks like a paste from some 2D image with screwed alphas.
The fire should be in the eye, with few outer flames.

Level 30
Oh, I didn't see the new icon, I was talking about the Evasion... oh, your newer icon...
It doesn't resemble Avatar, more like a Soul Burn, imo. The fire looks bad, it doesn't 'blend' with the eye. It looks like a paste from some 2D image with screwed alphas.
The fire should be in the eye, with few outer flames.

Yea I have this other version ... There the flame's edges are blurred a lil bit and blend better with the eye ... If that's what you mean and just for the reccord; I didn't CnP even though I can't really proove it =/...
I like the flame coming out of the eye, I won't change that ... But I might just redo the flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.