• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Phoenix Trial #5 - Hero Ability Icon Replacements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
original is turned the other way lol... ok i will try to figure something out... but is it better than water elemental i posted on page 44?

Edit: now so blizardish now?

edit: i changed from page 34 to 44 since it is 44... duh

Attachments

• BTNStormBolt.jpg
    BTNStormBolt.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:
Level 16
thorns aura: you should make a dark outline on the spikes for sure, and i would make more colours (or more difference between light and dark)
chain heal: the beam looks good and the staff also (though these white sticks/bones should have a bit less dark outline, maybe even bright yellow if it looks good), but the units need work. imo place only 1 clear visible unit, and let the beam bounce off the screen so you know it goes on

Level 11
Hiya guys I made a replacement icon for the Alchemist's "Transmute".
It doesn't nessesceraly mean I'm into the contest, I was just playing around with an idea I had, and thought I'd show you the first outcome, to see what you guys would think of it. :thumbs_up:

I know it's not exactly very good atm, but it's a WIP picture, I'm improving it atm.

Transmute:

"Kills a target unit instantly, turning it into gold which is added to your available gold! Cannot be used on Heroes or creeps above level 5."

Silly icon, for a silly ability, really...

Attachments

• Transmute.jpg
    Transmute.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 53
Level 11
**Transmute Update**

- Moar shinyness (Gold half is more shining and reflective)
- More detailed "transmute line"
- If you have a reeeaaally good eye, you could probably spot that I added the reflection of that fat, smelly ogre the alchemist is sitting on, on the breast/shoulder region of the golden half. I thought the Alchemist would probably be hangin' out nearby the dude he turned into gold, right? :wink:

Attachments

• Transmute.jpg
    Transmute.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 39
Level 24
ok here are three of four of my entries. goblin army, stormbolt and fireburn. fireburn in two different ways.

unfortunately only the jpg images can be shown, but i attach the icons as well and you can find them in the icon section. i also added some of my scratches to show my working process, comments plz!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm sad. Aside from a few at the beginning (which are gone now), I have yet to see icons that could fit in Wc3. v_v

I guess I'll be grading solely on artwork. Dang, I was hoping to get some cool icons out of this.
There you go, drama king.
You need some needle pokes to get out from this big-persona baloon that you live in.
So here it goes:

• Your cold review isn't any specific and helpful, it will just make the contestants feel bad.
  • Although it doesn't really matter, you have no artwork submitted, what would prove that you know what you are saying...
  • Keep your hopes to yourself next time.
You shouldn't expect blizzard-like work from every contestants. There are many great wips in the last pages.

Level 30
ok here are three of four of my entries. goblin army, stormbolt and fireburn. fireburn in two different ways.

unfortunately only the jpg images can be shown, but i attach the icons as well and you can find them in the icon section. i also added some of my scratches to show my working process, comments plz!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Please, attach the icon versions as a preview ;)

Ok Here are My Final Entries

• Howl of Terror (Pit Lord)
  • Siphon Mana (Blood Mage)
  • Tornado (Naga Sea Witch)
  • Reign of Chaos (Lord Archimonde)
  • Pheonix (Blood Mage)
  • Frost Armour (Lich)
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/thw-icons-section-541/54534d1242333745-btnhowlofterror-btnhowlofterror2.jpg[/IMG]
BTNHowl of Terror
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource_images/8/icons_7536_btn.jpg[/IMG]
BTNSiphon Mana
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/the-arena-226/54544d1242348061-phoenix-trial-5-btnvortex.jpg[/IMG]
BTNTornado
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/the-arena-226/54693d1242508514-phoenix-trial-5-btnreign-of-chaos.jpg[/IMG]
BTNReignOfChaos
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/the-arena-226/54745d1242576371-phoenix-trial-5-btnpheonix.jpg[/IMG]
BTNPheonix
[IMG]http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/attachments/the-arena-226/54809d1242687679-phoenix-trial-5-btnfrostarmour-2-.jpg[/IMG]
BTNFrostArmour

Don't forget to attach your icons.

Level 18
It looks decently like a Tauren to me, but the nose could help. However I think this concept is hard to make Reincarnation with. I would've taken a whole different scene to show on the icon, since just the head doesn't allow you much space to express the reincarnation effect in. My opinion to increase your chances in making it show reincarnation better would be to shrink the face, add a bit of body and use the space created to add effects to show its reincarnation.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
[FONT=arial,helvetica][FONT=arial,helvetica]When killed, the Tauren Chieftain will come back to life. The Tauren Chieftain will return with full mana. [/FONT][/FONT]
Hm. Not bad, and I can see the spell in the icon. Almost definitely make it orangeish-red instead of blue, since that's the SFX color of the spell.

It might be a bit too much of a rework, but what about a sort of silhouette of a Tauren stretching out his hands to a setting sun or something? Gets that orange-red color (glow behind him), and shows him as if he's "rising up" again to fight.

HappyCockroach said:
There you go, drama king.
You need some needle pokes to get out from this big-persona baloon that you live in.
So here it goes:

- Your cold review isn't any specific and helpful, it will just make the contestants feel bad.
- Although it doesn't really matter, you have no artwork submitted, what would prove that you know what you are saying...
- Keep your hopes to yourself next time.

You shouldn't expect blizzard-like work from every contestants. There are many great wips in the last pages.
Ha. I don't have an ego to speak of. I was specifically non-specific, since I didn't want to point any fingers (obviously, some are better than others).

I was simply bemoaning what I took as fact due to observation. There's a certain style that Blizzard has (I certainly couldn't define it), that I have yet to see performed on any of the "here's my final entry" posts.

You can agree or disagree with me, and that's fine. And no, I don't expect Blizzard-quality work from every contestant. That would be ridiculous. But I thought I might see a few; especially from people that had done well at that in the past.

Still, just an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.