• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Mongrel Woods

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Reactions: deepstrasz
This is an attempt to make a 1v1 map. I started on this map 4 years ago, and have taken up mapmaking the last month. It has bridges and is crampy at certain places. Creeps are generally a little bit hard, but the loot/items matches the difficulty. I like the idea of the natural expantion being a little harder, and the other expantion being easier to creep but more protected. It is also possible to scout around and run around the whole map unhindered by creeps, and also cross the middle unhindered. I like the idea of hilltop battles and battles for positioning in the middle island. Think of it as a crossbreed between Terenas Stand and Two Rivers.

I have tested it on battle.net, and players are generally giving good feedback on the map. It has bridges though, so if you dont like bridges and narrow combat. Look elsewhere!

If you want to give feedback on the map. Please feel free to do so.

Best, Ouranos.

Changelog:
1) Spacing between the trees have been sorted out, and should no further be an issue.

2) You will not get aggro easily by passing creeps, and most of the hills that hindered movement have been smoothed out.

3) A tavern has been placed in the middle, the blue fire has been removed aswell as the red creepcamp.

4) Small bridges has been replaced by wide bridges.

5) Shops have been swapped with merccamps on the sides, and it is now not close to camera bounds and limits.

6) Expantions are now more protected.

7) Creeps at natural have been put on aggressive stance, to improve balance.

8) Murloc aggro is no longer an issue.

9) Goblin lab creeps have been simplified to acommodate for the UD's lack of air units and the space have been widened.

10) The terrain has been raised and lowered around the map to improve esthetics.

11) Ogre camps have been moved.

12) Gold mine no longer in camp-mode.

13) Landbridge added for further balancing of the expantions and symmetry.

Changelog II:

1) Spiders walled in a u-shaped treeline and moved.

2) Assymetric red creepcamp balanced out.

3) Ive tried to deal with the trees the best that i can, i dont seem to be able to turn of the viewing of doodads and must do this without really seeing a lot.

4) Merc camp boxed in by cliffs and moved. I also fixed the bugged ramp.

5) I have now boxed in the Shops with trees as well, and have tested that the do not aggro. I think one is a little closer, but it takes the same time reaching them from each goldmine after I moved the goldmines.

6) Moved the goldmines. I have also boxed in the natural expantions as you recommended.

7) Sorted the asymmetricalities, to the best of my ability.

8) I have widened the pathing in many places, and expanded the size of the map. I think there is more space to manouver now.
Contents

Mongrel Woods (Map)

Reviews
WolfFarkas
2nd review 1) the spiders will aggro for sure because they are with normal range 500 and not in a U region. 2) Asymetry, you can abuse the highground in one, and not in the other. 3) there are gaps between trees. and this is abused for wisp...
deepstrasz
Restrictive starting place build space. The nearest green camp is literally in the player bases. Avoid gaps between trees so that wisps don't use abusive spy tactics. Use the round/circle tool when placing trees or fill the gaps with nice ground...
Level 29

1) player red and blue bases are not equal, gaps betweeen trees (wisp can hide, small units can walk).
upload_2019-4-7_23-27-20.png

upload_2019-4-7_23-27-40.png

2) aggro you will be attacked while passing, creeps block the paths, cliff: creeps should not be killed from above.
upload_2019-4-7_23-30-12.png

3) aggro of the merc camp, the blue fire is distracting, that camp is level 32, to hard for a 1v1. I would recommend a tavern in the middle.
upload_2019-4-7_23-31-49.png

4) small bridges should be avoided, very small paths are not good for melee
upload_2019-4-7_23-33-47.png

5) is not good to see the camara limits, creeps should face in the same direction

upload_2019-4-7_23-34-54.png

6) expandings shape are hard to defend, they should be in U regions.

upload_2019-4-7_23-35-57.png

7) will be attacked here by passing
upload_2019-4-7_23-37-17.png

8) same here, also murlocks have no space to engage as melee units.
upload_2019-4-7_23-37-58.png

9) goblin lab, L14 creep, undeads cant creep air units till tier 2.
upload_2019-4-7_23-39-12.png

10) Terrain seems flat in some parts. mostly in the goldmines areas.

11) creeps should not block the paths.
upload_2019-4-7_23-41-6.png

12) agro, goldmine creeps should not be set in camp mode. because a townhall can be build early.
upload_2019-4-7_23-43-32.png

13) asymetry, 1 base is more safe than other, thats not good for 1v1. advantage for red player.
upload_2019-4-7_23-59-33.png

upload_2019-4-7_23-59-58.png

It should be set to awaiting update,

neutrals buildings positions, creeps positiions harms the melee balance, but nothing that canot be fixed.

try to read tutorials, see others maps, see ladder maps, and competitive melee play that helps to improve maping

good luck and see ya.

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-7_23-36-52.png
    upload_2019-4-7_23-36-52.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
  • upload_2019-4-7_23-59-22.png
    upload_2019-4-7_23-59-22.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
Last edited by a moderator:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Please write a changelog, a better description and read the guides and rules below. Consider what Ragnaros17 told you. He has melee mapping experience.

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

U P L O A D I N G - A - M A P

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 29
2nd review

1) the spiders will aggro for sure because they are with normal range 500 and not in a U region.

upload_2019-4-9_13-24-41.png

2) Asymetry, you can abuse the highground in one, and not in the other.
upload_2019-4-9_13-28-35.png

upload_2019-4-9_13-29-18.png

3) there are gaps between trees. and this is abused for wisp scouting.
upload_2019-4-9_13-31-45.png

upload_2019-4-9_13-33-19.png

upload_2019-4-9_13-34-10.png

upload_2019-4-9_13-32-58.png

to avoid gaps put the wood slowly using the circle shape. and put them so you wont leave gaps. the abuse of scouting of the wisp will make the NE to have much advantage regarding scouting the enemy movments,
go to view and quit doodads, p to show pathing, and you will see this, there are gaps,

4) the chance of agro is there even if you dont trigger it most of the times, the ramp is bugged. the merc camp is not in a U region like the main bases.
upload_2019-4-9_13-38-30.png

the ramp is bugged, you cant walk there two violet squares will avoid you to walk there.
upload_2019-4-9_13-40-41.png

my sugestion for neutral buildings such goblin labs and merc. camps is this:

before
upload_2019-4-9_13-46-52.png

after: with U regions units wont try to pass, if there is a chance to use the path there is a chance of aggro.
upload_2019-4-9_13-46-22.png

5) land asymetry. goblin merchant is more near northern base. Mirrow the terrain helps. Neutral buildings should be put so equal access to them.

upload_2019-4-9_13-42-52.png

upload_2019-4-9_13-43-27.png

6) this still aggro, a fast way to fix it, is to increase size of the map and put the goldmines more in a U shape.
upload_2019-4-9_13-50-2.png

this one wich is a bit more complicated to fix the aggro, I would do this:
before
upload_2019-4-9_13-50-58.png

after
upload_2019-4-9_13-52-21.png

I rushed it and is far away from perfect but you null the chance of aggro with U shapes

asymetry: same creep for each player, 1 is safe of aggro, the other has chance of it, think that people scouts with wisp and peons, and the aggro is bad for scouting.
upload_2019-4-9_13-56-27.png

upload_2019-4-9_13-53-37.png

IMO
mirrow the terrain will help a lot.
Increase the size of the map will also help because, your map is small, and the deep water bits you a lot of space to properly place the neutral buildings and the creeps. (also is really hard to pull a 1v1 with 2 expanding bases even with no deep water in a 96x96), You can also fix the camara limits thing by increasing the size of the map and put cliffs.

The tavern and the big bridges are a good improve. plus no more orges bloking those bridges, this is a bit more near the approve now.
But the other neutral buildings and some creeps are still giving balance isues

A sugestion for the future, when doing melee , place the neutrals first , in U regions, and then add the deep water, think a 96x96 map as put 4 elephants inside a car, it requires skill to do good wide pathings and avoid the aggro.

It should be se to awaiting update.

(Please dont feel discouraged, I just review the maps and try to spot the bugs so they can be improved, sometimes even great 5 stars maps have critical bugs that they need to be put to awaiting update)

good luck and see ya

Attachments

• upload_2019-4-9_13-30-38.png
    upload_2019-4-9_13-30-38.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 30
  • upload_2019-4-9_13-53-47.png
    upload_2019-4-9_13-53-47.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 24
  • upload_2019-4-9_13-54-1.png
    upload_2019-4-9_13-54-1.png
    1 MB · Views: 33
Level 29
Thanks mate. Feedback is always good feedback. I am still learning this.

I am still learning too, I am still practicing the cliff use.

But the sooner you learn the better, and is good to aim perfection.
To reach ladder play or money prize melee contest , the map must be perfectly balanced. Maps are veto for very minor things.
is better to have designed 1 map that can be used for Ladder than have like 20 maps (like me) that are fun and nice but cant reach ladder.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
  1. Restrictive starting place build space. The nearest green camp is literally in the player bases.
  2. Avoid gaps between trees so that wisps don't use abusive spy tactics. Use the round/circle tool when placing trees or fill the gaps with nice ground pathing blocking doodads.
  3. The only spiders allowed camp has long camping range.
  4. Avoid neutral hostile with Disease Cloud since undead are not affected by it.

I'm afraid this one suffers from the same main issue I've mentioned in your other map.
What you need to practice more is symmetry and pathways.

Substandard.
If you can remake these maps please do tell so we can remoderate.

(previous comments: Mongrel Woods)

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/