• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #35 - Troll

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
Progress on the rider
wip8.png

Is it just two layers on "Normal" mode with the alpha sum of them both being one? Or do they need "Blend" mode or something else?
One Normal layer as a base, and then Blend layer(s) to add to it. Material alpha doesn't affect Normal and Transparent layers; only the Blends and Alphas. The Blend value will have to depend on your desired visual, but it would usually be in the mid range to keep it from fully overtaking the Normal layer.

It works the same way as TC layers, except since those utilize transparency, their total Blend values can go over 1 to reduce the presence of team color without obscuring it completely.

Level 49
holy frick that's looking sick. Especially the grey, I didn't think that was possible.

This 'blending' thing... why have I basically never heard of it before? It seems really potent.
i did the material blending trick on my recent nerubian bundle. only difference is that i used an additive filter instead of a blend one to make the model's texture shinier.

Level 50
@Kyrbi0

Referring to your earlier posts.
Well, now that you’re arena mod I’d expect you to start introducing some of these changes. Yes, poll results should only be revealed once the poll is closed. Not a single reason to have it viewable during the voting phase, it serves to nothing but bandwagoning and affecting judges reviews. Also poll impact on final results shouldn’t be 30%, that’s unnecessary high amount considering the only reason poll exists is to engage community, not to have the community decide the winner. Impact shouldn’t be higher than 1/5 - 20%.
I will also just quickly refer to some stuff posted in this thread… so now we are labeling constructive criticism as ‘hate’?
This thread is teaching people wrongly about how creative environment should look like. How exactly genuine is it to constantly only praise and never criticize? Well it isn’t. You cannot expect to receive only praise. Your goal in this contest should be to create the best entry you possibly can, to collect as much feedback as you can… and yet you get demotivated by valid criticism and just want to hear praise.

Level 34
holy frick that's looking sick. Especially the grey, I didn't think that was possible.

This 'blending' thing... why have I basically never heard of it before? It seems really potent.
@FerSZ used it for his 5 dragonflight models some years ago with an excelent result iirc.

Last edited:
Maybe the WiP deadline is the 15th of October past which you can't simply upload a complete model? Some might be able to work on a model in less than a day. Who am I to judge :D
Yeah, like that time I got drunk on christmas eve and made the 'paint goblin' part of my old contest entry from scratch in about... I think it was five hours?

...speaking of which, didn't we win? Shouldn't I have a medal for that?

Last edited:
Dear @Archian, can I ask the respected judges, if possible and if the other participants do not mind, to move the deadline by a few days? These uncertain times bring me out of the creative balance and terribly deprive of free time so that I'm afraid I will not be able to finish the model before the current deadline 😔 I hope this doesn't apply the other participans.

P.S. I will respect any decision and understand that this is so much to ask for, just need to know.

Last edited:

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
That's the geometry pretty much done. One thing I will probably change is the ballista's spears to a more simplistic model. Using the default headhunter spear at the moment makes it look a bit busy. Next step - animation.
Wip10.gif

@Villagerino looking great so far! I actually prefer the team-colored feathers on the headdress you had initially (which texture did you use for those?) I think they'd look good in conjunction with the non-TC feathers as an accent on the character's head.

What a huge monster, looks epic. I see you added a cascade of feathers on its head too, looks nice. Like the poses of the Batriders currently, good luck on the animation 👍

I also like how the TC feathers look on the 'crown', unfortunately their texture doesn't go well with the other feathers texture. I used Druid of the Talon texture.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
That's the geometry pretty much done. One thing I will probably change is the ballista's spears to a more simplistic model. Using the default headhunter spear at the moment makes it look a bit busy. Next step - animation.
View attachment 410866
You are utterly ridiculous, man. xD

Man but aren't those Batrider Trolls already in the perfect pose for that?? So schweet.

In the last concept I decided to use the follwing texture of feathers from Harpies because it had an alternate purple-blue version which I was about to use in the hero's Alternate animation:
WIP_villagerino_3.png

I also adjusted some of the TC shapes and points, but I was not satisfied with the result: the textures looked somewhat sloppy, and the lines of the golden helmet did not visually blend with the patterns of the TC mesh, since the latter had no contours. So, I gave up on this idea.

From that moment on, I went back to my original idea of "shabby" gold textures with tribal patterns and re-shaped the mesh:
Mask.png
Lich.png

There I got the helmet with some ancient tribal aesthetics containing the desired colors, shapes and even a nose guard, a nice little detail that can enhance the portrait look. At that point, looking at the references with one eye and my work with the other, I decided to finalize the concept.

A "few" moments later I got my set of armor ready:
GoldenArmor.png
Refs.png

Some other references hinted me at the items I can add to the final look of the hero, such as a chest plate, claw rings, hair tubes and, of course, feathers. As for the feathers, I got back to the previous texture with sharp, thin and minimalistic look with a TC layer that can compliment more complex carved-looking parts perfectly and become an original piece of the whole picture. I gave the feathers a symmetrical look because rich jewelry for high-ranking wearers require fine craftsmanship, and we find order in symmetry.

There is always room for the temptation to overload one's character with details. Thus, I took some samples and looked at how the mesh worked in some sequences and imagined how it would work in the Alternate animations.
2.png
3.png
4.png

After that I got to a point that I need a simpler and higher chest, a bare stomach (which is subject to transformation in the Alternate) and a "heavier" belt/waist part. The bottom detail should help the character stand out in the Alternate, when he looses the staff, and compliment with the main magic gem of the staff.

As for the shapes, their thickness and positions match the standard esthetics of Warcraft well by the eye. Also, by the eye, the textures are detailed enough and their "stretchiness" fits most in-game models.
WIP_vil1.png
WIP_vil2.png

The amount of details also seem fine: the helmet/crown has "rich" shapes so I decided to leave the ears and tusks without jewelry. In meantime I found that it would be creative to add some jewelry to the hair. There can be many and many variations.

The staff of the hero is on the way: it will include feathers, gold parts, a big TC gem and some other fitting things. I'm also planning to change some feathers and make them look more bushy on the head. At the moment I have this WIP:
VilTroll.gif

Your feedback and criticism are appreciated! 📄🖊️

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
In the last concept I decided to use the follwing texture of feathers from Harpies because it had an alternate purple-blue version which I was about to use in the hero's Alternate animation:
View attachment 412118
I also adjusted some of the TC shapes and points, but I was not satisfied with the result: the textures looked somewhat sloppy, and the lines of the golden helmet did not visually blend with the patterns of the TC mesh, since the latter had no contours. So, I gave up on this idea.

From that moment on, I went back to my original idea of "shabby" gold textures with tribal patterns and re-shaped the mesh:
View attachment 412119View attachment 412121
There I got the helmet with some ancient tribal aesthetics containing the desired colors, shapes and even a nose guard, a nice little detail that can enhance the portrait look. At that point, looking at the references with one eye and my work with the other, I decided to finalize the concept.

A "few" moments later I got my set of armor ready:
View attachment 412123View attachment 412125
Some other references hinted me at the items I can add to the final look of the hero, such as a chest plate, claw rings, hair tubes and, of course, feathers. As for the feathers, I got back to the previous texture with sharp, thin and minimalistic look with a TC layer that can compliment more complex carved-looking parts perfectly and become an original piece of the whole picture. I gave the feathers a symmetrical look because rich jewelry for high-ranking wearers require fine craftsmanship, and we find order in symmetry.

There is always room for the temptation to overload one's character with details. Thus, I took some samples and looked at how the mesh worked in some sequences and imagined how it would work in the Alternate animations.
View attachment 412126View attachment 412127View attachment 412128
After that I got to a point that I need a simpler and higher chest, a bare stomach (which is subject to transformation in the Alternate) and a "heavier" belt/waist part. The bottom detail should help the character stand out in the Alternate, when he looses the staff, and compliment with the main magic gem of the staff.

As for the shapes, their thickness and positions match the standard esthetics of Warcraft well by the eye. Also, by the eye, the textures are detailed enough and their "stretchiness" fits most in-game models.
View attachment 412130View attachment 412131
The amount of details also seem fine: the helmet/crown has "rich" shapes so I decided to leave the ears and tusks without jewelry. In meantime I found that it would be creative to add some jewelry to the hair. There can be many and many variations.

The staff of the hero is on the way: it will include feathers, gold parts, a big TC gem and some other fitting things. I'm also planning to change some feathers and make them look more bushy on the head. At the moment I have this WIP:
View attachment 412132
Your feedback and criticism are appreciated! 📄🖊️
This thing is looking utterly fantastic. I particularly love the details on the armor & the feather arrangements.

I will say that it's starting to move into "RPG hero/WoW character" territory for me; at least, lined up next to the Shadow Hunter it's looking a fair bit more detailed than some of the OG stuff.

This thing is looking utterly fantastic. I particularly love the details on the armor & the feather arrangements.
I'm happy that the Troll expert likes this one 🤓 Thank you!

I will say that it's starting to move into "RPG hero/WoW character" territory for me; at least, lined up next to the Shadow Hunter it's looking a fair bit more detailed than some of the OG stuff.
Thank you for the feedback! I think I understand why you got this feeling, otherwise I'm in trouble 😀 Your words from someone with great visual experience made me look for additional options, but I feel like I exausted all means to make it more SD. What I think is that there's some "freshness" difference between the mesh and textures of TFT and ROC units. The newly introduced, such as Lady Vashj, Firelord, Spellbreaker, Cryptlord, Bloodmage ect., have more rich-looking mesh with a set of details that are paid more attention in terms of textures, mesh and animation. For instance, Spellbreaker's animation and texturing is far better looking than regular Alliance units for the units of its size; Firelord has almost all his mesh parts moving and some unique sequences with animated mesh like his fire at the bottom; the Bloodmage model has roaming spheres, vibrant mesh details, and a well-detailed head that has facial expressions outside of his portrait, which makes him a good choice for an RPG character. The addition of some TFT models has definitely expanded the range.

What if I say that to maintain the original feel, I used the in-game mesh design. All my custom mesh is always made after the original: for example, the helmet design inherits from a Skeleton's skull and Firelord's crown and the armor pieces design inherits from Cryptlord's and Lich's mesh. The poly count is rather low and there are no volumetric armor details like bracers, shoulder pads and totem signs that are convex at the edges and visually refer to HQ and WoW models. The "stretchness" of the textures is also higher than in the original model. The feathers texture is so plain that it barely has shading of regular OG TC parts. If there's something with the fingers, I can say that they play an important role in the Alternate animation. Some models like a Dreadlord, Fiend, Infernal (already 3 Undead models, and mine will die too 😀) have 3 well animated fingers and Lady Vashj even 4.

I also understand that contest models contain irregular Particle Emitters, possess unique mesh and animations so that they are made to stand out, and it happens so that they provide a feeling of RPG heroes in the end. Otherwise, I'd make an ordinary SD Troll model from, say, a neutral Troll Shaman without any extras and with weak personality. Expressive but SD, where's the golden mean? (That's why I love the idea of making lighter versions of my models in order to move them from RPG category and bosses to regular units, like my Wight.)

I'm trying to add a unique feel while staying in the range of the in-game SD parameters, yes, but the question is how do I create the feel of the Zandalari Trolls with in-game textures and mesh even more SD? If this moves towards the Zandalari design from WoW with the in-game stuff and a low-poly structure, doesn't this mean that the fresh feel of the model has to stand out but still be very close to SD? How do I make a Zandalari high-ranking shaman perfect fit, but really expressive with what you see?

What should I add/change or remove to "minimize" the WoW feel? One thing I can do here from what I've noticed that applies better to SD, the belt gem with a lesser amount of polygons:
This.png

I made it in the image of Lich's gems. (Lich is forever!) How about this one?

Last edited:
Creation of staff concepts with different levels of detail:
Staff2.png
Staff1.png

Staff4.png
Staff3.png

As for me, the style requires angularity, squareness and patterning to match with armor. The staff also should demonstrate the Troll's rank and status.

What I like here is a plain TC spot on the bottom that echoes well with the TC gem at the other end. What I don't like is a level of detail compared to SD models with staffs that look quite poorly. Some things can still be simplified to provide a better SD feel to a certain extent. What are your thoughts?

Here's a WIP. Unsure if I will manage to finish...

Right there with you- it's been a busy October. Dunno if I can full-ass the entire rest of the process in 7 days, but I figured I should try and make something.

Figured I'd go basic. Just a troll, with some sick tats.

So far.

maeroktrollhero-png.412991

Level 48
Creation of staff concepts with different levels of detail:
1.View attachment 4129882.View attachment 412985
3.View attachment 4129874.View attachment 412989
As for me, the style requires angularity, squareness and patterning to match with armor. The staff also should demonstrate the Troll's rank and status.

What I like here is a plain TC spot on the bottom that echoes well with the TC gem at the other end. What I don't like is a level of detail compared to SD models with staffs that look quite poorly. Some things can still be simplified to provide a better SD feel to a certain extent. What are your thoughts?
I like #2 best, personally!

Status
Not open for further replies.