• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest 23 - 3 Tier Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26

the%20hive%20workshop.png

152290-albums921-picture56535.png

modeling.png
contest.png
number.png
2.png
3.png

3-TIER BUILDING

Contestants are asked to model a 3-tier building.
A structure that can be 'upgraded' a minimum of
2 times. This does not mean that it has 2 alternate
upgrades, the upgrades must be "tiered".

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
    • This includes, but is not limited to, using other people's work (partially or otherwise) without express permission
  • You must post at least 1 WIP preview before the deadline.
  • You may make as many models as you want, however pick only one for the final judge's evaluation.
  • To qualify for entry, you must post your model(s) in .mdx format, and a screenshot of the model.
  • You must post your entry before the deadline expires and attach it to a post.
  • You must make the model for this competition, which means that you cannot use old works.
  • Your model must have these minimum animations:
    • Birth
    • Birth Upgrade First
    • Birth Upgrade Second
    • Death
    • Decay
    • Portrait
    • Stand
    • Stand Upgrade First
    • Stand Upgrade Second
      --OPTIONAL--
    • Death Upgrade First
    • Death Upgrade Second
    • Portrait Upgrade First
    • Portrait Upgrade Second
    • Stand Work
    • Stand Work First
    • Stand Work Second
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

The Judge's score shall be taken out of 100 points for the following categories

MESH
The geometry of the model, the wireframe that gives your model a physical form and silhouette. Does the shape look clean or deformed? Are all ends capped, are there any stray faces, etc?
The movement of your model. The animations give your model life, character, a personality. Are these animations smooth or choppy? Are they organic or cold and robotic, was this intended? Do the animations deform or clip parts of the mesh?
The skin, or texture of a model expresses many important aspects of the character. Is the texture well made; is it blurry, does it have a pleasant color scheme, does it have detail, etc? Or, if blizzard textures were used, how well was it wrapped? Are there parts that are clipped, misaligned or stretched?
The Overall concept of your model, it's essence. Is this a creative idea? Or, if the general idea has been used before, how has the creator 'made it his own'? What has he added to make it special, or different from the ones that have come before him?
Does this model work ingame, in all aspects of wc3? Is it visible when imported, is the texture pathname hard to import, are chunks of the mesh loose and flying around, is the texture the correct proportion, is the model a relatively manageable size (in kilobytes), do all the animations play properly ingame, do all the particles/ribbon emitters work, and so on. How well does this model fit in wc3? would it be useful in a map or would it look better in crysis 2?
The ol' "razzle-dazzle". Special effects add a factor of 'shock and awe'. Particle emitters, ribbon emitters, and sometimes geometry (such as shockwave planes or 3d-debris) are part of the animation process, but their implementation is less essential. However, good effects can greatly increase the quality of a model.
Final Score will be taken out of...

Judge's Score
Public Poll
60%40%

judges.png

If you would like to judge the contest simply make a post in this thread stating so.
You need to be a user who is knowledgeable in the process of
modeling, animating, UV wrapping, and creating particles; and who is known to judge objectively;

- Mechanical Man -
- Anarchianbedlam -

prizes.png
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

1st

[50] reputation points and
your entry on an award icon
2st
[35] reputation points
and an award icon
3st
[20] reputation points
and an award icon

BEGINS
ENDS
MARCH
10th
APRIL
28th
You have 7 weeks, 49 days, or 1176
hours to complete your submission.

entries.png

I will list the participants here as they enter

Participant
Status
Anarchianbedlam Procrastinating
Wandering Soul Is now a "WONDERING" soul
-Completed Entry-
Got soul, but he ain't a sol-dier
Red Baron His milkshape brings all the boys
Radagast Has teh awzum drawings
Revilo & M0rbid Has Phallus on the mind
Took me 1176 hours to make.... this.
-Completed Entry-
Protoss are now canon
Mr. Bob Took a Dump
Shamanyouranus Chronic procrastinator
Mechanical Man Being a smartass
Massivemaster And now for something completely different
How very.... "primative"
action figures sold seperately
-Completed Entry-
OH LOOK! I ACTUALLY FOLLOWED THE THEME!
Eubz BIODOMEHOME!
"Changes of mind" you say?
Has made... a snowglobe?
-Completed Entry-
His crystal balls will tell your future
skrab Puff the magic Dragon
Ol' Reliable
Cant get a good night's rest
-Completed Entry-
Oh look, a castle
Nhazul TROGDOOORRRR!
Tirlititi Lean, Mean, and GREEEEENNN
Is just about to... wrap this up.
-Completed Entry-
Will be skinned alive
HappyCockRoach NOW HE'S A MAN! A MANLY MANMAN!
Proxy Thought he would slitheryn
Enter his dojo of mojo
-Completed Entry-
he knows kung-fu
-Grendel Is of the asian persuasion
Contestant 17

:IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This modeling contest is OPTIONALLY PAIRED. Meaning that if you choose, you may pair up with 1 (and only one) other user to create your submission. For example, you can have 1 modeler and 1 texturer; or 1 geometry/animator and 1 particle worker, etc. any combination is acceptable, be sure to describe what each team member did in your final submission.
and as a small side note, if a user wanted to team up with two separate people for this contest (i.e. a texture artist making 2 skins for 2 contestants, or a particle worker helping 2 people), then in the unlikely event that both teams win, the user who worked on 2 teams would only get the larger sum award. (i.e. his 2 textures won 2nd and 3rd place, so he only gets the second place rep award)..... and no duplicate teams, wise-ass

POLL | RESULTS

Last edited:
Level 26
I cant really say how well it actually works, but i do try to make these contests a little better each time. Last time there were complaints that 'fittingness into wc3' was not taken into consideration for judging, so a small rework in points will hopefully guide judges to consider how well a model fits in wc3 when looking at the mechanics of the model. In addition, points for mesh were increased, since this is a building contest and the majority of your work will be making a good looking mesh.

As always, good luck to all participants and i look forward to seeing some unique ideas and great artwork for this contest.

Level 25
Here is what I am currently working on. It is still a early work in progress.
This will be some sort of a sorcerer's dragon tower. I still don't know how to name it.

(1)On a base level sorcerer has this young baby dragon living on top of his tower.
(2)On the first upgrade dragon gets his own tower with a nest, but he is not yet ready for the battle. He is still learning how to fly.
(3)On a second upgrade he gets a bigger tower and nest. Now the sorcerer is ready to summon him on to the battlefield.

I am not sure about birth animations yet. I was thinking about to make the sorcerer summon the objects from the ground or something. Or I will make a small construction site like on my Barracks model.

So this will feature a sorcerer and a dragon. Both of them will require a texture and animations so I will be forced to ask someone to do the texture work.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    847.8 KB · Views: 336
  • 2.png
    2.png
    959.8 KB · Views: 332
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 425
Level 26
Here is what I am currently working on. It is still a early work in progress.
This will be some sort of a sorcerer's dragon tower. I still don't know how to name it.

(1)On a base level sorcerer has this young baby dragon living on top of his tower.
(2)On the first upgrade dragon gets his own tower with a nest, but he is not yet ready for the battle. He is still learning how to fly.
(3)On a second upgrade he gets a bigger tower and nest. Now the sorcerer is ready to summon him on to the battlefield.

I am not sure about birth animations yet. I was thinking about to make the sorcerer summon the objects from the ground or something. Or I will make a small construction site like on my Barracks model.

So this will feature a sorcerer and a dragon. Both of them will require a texture and animations so I will be forced to ask someone to do the texture work.

arent you glad this is optionally paired? :D

Level 35
Right now I am on my new machine using 3Ds max 2012 (Win7).
But for animating and Wc3 export I will use 3Ds max 5 on my old WinXp machine. It will be an pain in the ass since my old Sempron can't handle more then 3000 polygons on the screen.

I could try virtual XP >.>

Yea, was asking since its the conversion that will prove troublesome for me I fear.. But heck - I'll create it, then I can worry about export afterwards. :wink:

Looks awesome boob, but is that a WIP progression or are those the three tiers? Because they all look the same.

They do actually look different from one another, stuff is added on.

Level 25
hm, 10 day and no posts?

A wild real life projects appear!
-exams
-10000€ project management
-2 book designs and edits
-5 billboards design
-1000€ project management
-1 web design
-posters, billboards, flyers and brochures for some project
-Modeling contest 23

All of that in the next 4 months.

I was surprised by that as well.. I haven't posted a WIP as of yet, since I need to pass an exam in two days and even then I need to figure out how to get my model from maya to mdx format.

I don't think there is a real Maya mdx exporter. You will have to send it to 3Ds max or some other modeling software that has a proper mdx export.

Well, what did you expect? The theme is 3-tier buildings. D:

Yes. Too much animation time is required.

A wild real life projects appear!
-exams
-10000€ project management
-2 book designs and edits
-5 billboards design
-1000€ project management
-1 web design
-posters, billboards, flyers and brochures for some project
-Modeling contest 23

All of that in the next 4 months.

But you are not only contestant here and not everyone has these project managements, so I expected at least some posts, not entries or wips. After all in many contests, most of the posts is pointless crap talk.

Level 49
this is without a doubt the second easiest theme in existence (the first being a ROCK doodad) and you guys are complaining? seriously?

How is that an easy theme at all? Just coming up with a good idea is difficult enough, but then there's also the fact that you're essentially modelling 3 full buildings, and then animating them. :|

Either way, if all goes well, I'm entering the contest with NFWar. We don't have a concept yet, but we're brainstorming.

Level 49
Mr. Bob's models are incredibly complex and awesome. I don't understand your point. Attachments are an easy theme, doodads are an easy theme, tier 1 unit is an easy theme. Buildings have lots of tiny details and TONS of polies, and texturing them(or finding textures for them) is difficult. And should I repeat myself? This is 3-tier building contest, not just building contest. That requires you to make three distinct buildings, each with their own silhouette while in-game. Like the Town Hall, Keep and Castle.

Level 35

You forgot to mention animations for standing still, working, upgrading so forth. But all of it is essentially up to one self. Creating 3 building can be a very hard or a very easy task depending on the amount of work invested in it. Personally I am going to make mine fairly complex, but nothing before I figure out how to convert it (starting my studio max).

Mr. Bob's models are incredibly complex and awesome. I don't understand your point. Attachments are an easy theme, doodads are an easy theme, tier 1 unit is an easy theme. Buildings have lots of tiny details and TONS of polies, and texturing them(or finding textures for them) is difficult. And should I repeat myself? This is 3-tier building contest, not just building contest. That requires you to make three distinct buildings, each with their own silhouette while in-game. Like the Town Hall, Keep and Castle.

:eekani: Oh come on, you don't really make 3 buildings. The object of making a tiered building is that you keep part of your building mesh and just add/change stuff to it in the different animation sequences. Like the clock tower, the ground and the surrounding wall from the Town Hall is also in the Keep and just the hall building changes etc.

By the way, I like your idea of making an upgradable living place. If you can do this by keeping part of the mesh in each animation and don't replace everything, this could turn out very nice. :thumbs_up:

You forgot to mention animations for standing still, working, upgrading so forth. But all of it is essentially up to one self. Creating 3 building can be a very hard or a very easy task depending on the amount of work invested in it. Personally I am going to make mine fairly complex, but nothing before I figure out how to convert it (starting my studio max).

Yes, there are alot of animation sequences to do, but for buildings they can be very simple as there the mesh/texturing is much more important I think.

Ah and shouldn't 'Portrait' be an optional animation. I don't think that for building models a portrait animation is really that important (or even necessary). A normal portrait camera should be enough in my opinion. Can this be changed?

You guys should change the theme to BUILDING MIMICS. Yanno, buildings that come to life!

:thumbs_down: I wouldn't like that. You could do this in another contest, but pls don't change the current theme.

Level 31

They really aren't. Honestly, those models are easier to make than anything I've ever made ever. You don't have to worry about so many things that you otherwise would. It's sheer poly work.

Level 31
The thing is that if you pick a hero model, you add some feathers, bigger sword and altering textures a little and it seems totally another model. For buildings you need far more details. And also transfering animation in units it's cheap easy. For buildings you need way more skill, even though it seems very easy at start.

You aren't talking about modeling. You're talking about geomerging here. For those of us who model from the ground up, buildings are incredibly easy comparatively.

So, half of the time has passed and there is my first WIP.
It has nothing to do with a primitive wood building but whatever :goblin_boom:.
I want to make a building half-metal half-obisidian. It seems weird even to me...
attachment.php

Don't be too rude, please, I'm not a modeler at first ^^'. I can't even imagine how skrab made a such "presentable" building so fast :grin:.

Texturing really frightens me :/.

Attachments

• OTWIP1Green.jpg
    OTWIP1Green.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 508
Status
Not open for further replies.