• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Modeling Contest #13 - Buildings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe I heared 3Ds Max 5 is free. It's commonly used I think, so if it really is free, I guess you would do good to use that. There are tutorials here that involve 3Ds Max 5, but none are specificly for 3Ds Max 2009, since it's a very new version, which (like Mr. Bob explained) is very expensive, so it's very limited in use for the people on the Hive.

5 is not free. It is not sold. What you are reffering to, is the illegal version. XD

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
3dsMax 5 is the ideal Wc3 Modelling program, because Blizzard released the "Art Tools" for it, which provides perfect documentation and .3ds -> .mdx conversion and all the base-line tools to make perfect Blizzard SFX and particles and ribbons and stuff.

However, it's too old, and as Bob says, is no longer sold. Illegal versions can be found, but that's against site rules to discuss, so bleh. I don't believe in that stuff anyway.
If it wasn't, I'd already have it by now. Seriously, it's (supposed to be) that good. :p

~~~

Wow, amazing WIPs everyone. Loving the High Elven altar, Elenai. Also the Naga-thing, ike_ike.

However, I just have one question:
What in the world is it? Everyone looks at it and says "wow, ingenious" or "creative, really cool". It look like a Murloc/Mur'gul in a cage. Alright, makes sense since the Naga enslaved the Murloc/Mur'gul (hence the worker (Slave) and cannon fodder (Reaver).

But how can it Work? Or gather Gold? Or harvest Lumber? Or provide Food? Does it move? Are you supposed to build it next to a tree or a mine and it harvests resources? How can it "Work" (building and repairing, I assume) from inside a stationary cage??

I feel like the only one on the outside of an inside joke. :< Nevertheless, it looks like it will be a great, useful model.

*cough* Jungle Troll Altar of Blood, anyone? *cough*

Level 26
3d
What in the world is it? Everyone looks at it and says "wow, ingenious" or "creative, really cool". It look like a Murloc/Mur'gul in a cage. Alright, makes sense since the Naga enslaved the Murloc/Mur'gul (hence the worker (Slave) and cannon fodder (Reaver).
But how can it Work? Or gather Gold? Or harvest Lumber? Or provide Food? Does it move? Are you supposed to build it next to a tree or a mine and it harvests resources? How can it "Work" (building and repairing, I assume) from inside a stationary cage??
*cough* Jungle Troll Altar of Blood, anyone? *cough*

It's the Murloc equivalent of a Supply Depot. o wait, starcraft. Um. It's the food providing structure for the Murloc race i.e. the Murguls are caged up like ... livestock to be eaten etc. Alternatively, you can upgrade them to Enslaved Lumberers or Miners, who provide a steady income of wood/gold

So basically, it's not meant for repairing or building, it's just a static structure. With a nifty animated fellow inside :3

Level 16
Pff 3ds max is a hard program, but i managed to make something anyways :D
It's an air landing/launching platform ;) For orcs or goblins or someone
69388977.png

Now i wonder how i can skin it in photoshop or something? because the materials are not very warcraftish ^^

Level 11
Here's a WIP of a town hall building that I'm basing sort of off Utgarde Keep. I'll be using it in my Vrykul project if I ever get around to working more on that.

Attachments

• vrykulkeep1.JPG
    vrykulkeep1.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 163
Level 11
Looking nice, Xatoga. Good to see you doing something serious this time. :p

Well that's due to the fact this is actually a good theme. With 'maek sum boobs' it really was just... blegh.

I think I've finished the mesh, here's my rough idea on how the tiers will work.

Attachments

• vrykulkeep2.JPG
    vrykulkeep2.JPG
    9.9 KB · Views: 129
  • vrykulkeep3.JPG
    vrykulkeep3.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 168
  • vrykulkeep4.JPG
    vrykulkeep4.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 145
I can get it into that easy, but lithunwrap is even harder. Ugh, I animated it and realized I fucked up so I have to re-animate. But even though the animations were messed up they still should have played when I used guessts thing to export the model. I followed Donut's tutorial and used the comments and everything but it didn't export any of the animations.

Level 11
Lithunwrap is actually really nice IMO once you understand how it works. I remember the first times I used it having no clue though, so just find a tutorial on it and it should be okay. Dunno about your animating issues. What program did you use?

Level 14
Is milkshape what most people use to animate? And if so, could someone link me to a good tutorial because the one I followed the animations ended up not working.

CombatTheWombat, I can explain it for you, but I'm just too lazy now... :hohum:

WIP below XD
I still don't know the name that fits to it... :con:

Attachments

• WIP 01.PNG
    WIP 01.PNG
    248.5 KB · Views: 241
Level 18
@CombatTheWombat: I prefer animating in 3Ds Max. First because I don't know how to animate in MilkShape and second: Animating in 3Ds Max is simple, but effective.

I hope to be able to make decent textures for my building in time, so no WIP yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.