• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
In the contest rules it says imports are allowed, and I was wondering if this meant solely custom resources such as icons or models, or something such as a unit indexing system or a movement detection system would be allowed. It feels (just a tiny bit) like no "teamwork" or working before the start of the contest may apply here.

(Sorry if this has been answered, my search didn't come up with anything)

Level 14
It wouldn't be user friendly if you had to rewrite such vital systems for a contest from scratch would it?

Importing public systems are allowed. (afaik)

Also i might join in with something after all, this seems to turn out as a rather popular contest :)

In the contest rules it says imports are allowed, and I was wondering if this meant solely custom resources such as icons or models, or something such as a unit indexing system or a movement detection system would be allowed. It feels (just a tiny bit) like no "teamwork" or working before the start of the contest may apply here.

(Sorry if this has been answered, my search didn't come up with anything)

You can use ALL public Models, Icons, and Spells. Oh yeah, also systems (I doubt anyone will spent 3 weeks trying to create an already existing system for a contest).

You may not request for resources for your entry however.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Still plenty of time yet, no need to say final ;o

Unfortunately I had a goal to be done on that day or else I'd not be able to join at all. I have a lot of events and work to participate in. I'd still like to make some small improvements but I probably will not.

Again, good luck to everyone!

Level 14
I will join this contest, too. I started creating the map yesterday and later I'll show you the 1st WIP.
It's going to be some kind of a click-and-point-style horror survival riddle game.

:ogre_hurrhurr:

So definitely count me in.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Well, awesome... My bloody laptop just broke down. Just... I'm really pissed off right now...

Well, I guess we've still got 2 and a half weeks, I'll see if I can mix something up.

I'm sorry for your loss :( it's really demotivating to encounter setbacks such as laptop breaking apart. Hope your loss wasn't big...

My latest backup was actually my latest upload. Considering I finished the code for creating forest, caverns and dungeon terrain, along eith dungeon traps and some forest creeps... It's a moderate loss.
I definitely don't have enough time to finish the initial idea. I decided to start over. I wrote down ideas and concept, and then came up with some plans.

I have a very important question.
How bad is it to have 1024 trackables which would cover the whole map?

Level 14
Alright, I decided to enter with some kind of a Hero survival. Concept is not that clear yet, but i managed to do a WIP terrain. Hopefully it will improve later, because im concerned about the empty parts :S

wip_terrain_2.jpg

wip_terrain_1.jpg

wip_terrain_3.jpg

wip_terrain_5.jpg

wip_terrain_4.jpg

Please tell me what you think :)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

@kari that's really charming! Very well done, fitting models.

What kind of map that will be?

Level 14
Yeah, Fotty got it right!

The zombie and monster waves will come from the 3 passages up to the hill, and the Heroes have to defend in the middle.

I think of including Boss battles if time let's me, and i already have some pretty cool Hero spell concepts.

The main thing when thinking about the concept was, that it should use tons of physics, so I bet the game will be exciting and fast paced :D

Coming up with a hero update as soon as possible :)

Level 25
My latest backup was actually my latest upload. Considering I finished the code for creating forest, caverns and dungeon terrain, along eith dungeon traps and some forest creeps... It's a moderate loss.
I definitely don't have enough time to finish the initial idea. I decided to start over. I wrote down ideas and concept, and then came up with some plans.

I have a very important question.
How bad is it to have 1024 trackables which would cover the whole map?

Oh dear. I hope you still work on your initial idea after the contest, it looked very promising.

Re trackables: depends what you do with them, I think. Using them just for selection/similar events should be fine with today's average PC.

I am adding a new feature to warcraft:
Aimless aiming - What it actually does? It allows you to activate target-point spells by simply clicking the hotkey, without the additional click to select the target point. The target point will be determined by your cursor current location.

EDIT: The test went well... I am adding some extra features :3

Last edited:
Level 9
I'm joining, doing a hero defence sort of thing, playable in about 30 minutes, with items and heroes and bosses and all that good stuff.

Here are some screenshots and a WIP. It's barely playable, but it's got a lot of the basics done.

EDIT: type "start" after selecting your hero to start.

Attachments

• Screenshot0.png
    Screenshot0.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • Screenshot1.png
    Screenshot1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 109
  • Screenshot2.png
    Screenshot2.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 117
  • MicroDefence_v0.1.w3x
    139.9 KB · Views: 38
Level 14
I am adding a new feature to warcraft:
Aimless aiming - What it actually does? It allows you to activate target-point spells by simply clicking the hotkey, without the additional click to select the target point. The target point will be determined by your cursor current location.

EDIT: The test went well... I am adding some extra features :3

So thats why you need those trackables! :D Well im looking forward to test such system. I thought smartcast as they call it in today's games, was only possible with modifying the wc3 client. If you manage to do that without such dramatic change, thats some serious achievement!

@Argus : Those some really nice wips, looking forward to how the bossfights will turn out!

Level 23
[Note Before Watching : Don't watch in full screen or you'll burn your eyes off.]

Old PC + trial version of a software + WarCraft = Crap Video.
bitch-please.jpg
I'm never gonna do that again.

BTW, I kinda delayed in starting the map in the video because I thought that "Free Trial Text" will go away and will just appear at its ends..... Guess I was wrong.

EDIT: Texts that shows:

1.) A bird landed on water today.
2.) It flew away.
3.) Com'ere, Birdy.
4.) Oh, too late.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
Anything is allowed. Just a question- how will you create a melee map within 32x32 playable dimensions? That would be an instant defeat mash-up. Yes you can join. There's a lot of time left..

How to create 32x32 melee.

And I changed my mind anyway, I won't make melee afterall.

Edit: Thanks for quick reply.

Level 25
Good point, nvm (feeling awesome).

Edit: By the way is 2v2v2v2 map too many players for this competition?

In terms of rules, no.

The problem is the judging. If a judge cannot find 7 other people to play with, he won't experience the map the way it was designed.
The "fun map" evening is planned for some of the judging, but what if they don't have exactly 8 people? Once again, they won't experience your map as it's meant to be.

Make whatever player limit you like, but design it so that the game auto-balances based on how many players there are. Make it playable for any number of players (even single player) if possible.

In terms of gameplay, 2v2v2v2 can fit wonderfully on a 32x32. Look at Uther Party - an 8 player map where many of the arenas are smaller than 32x32.

EDIT: Another WIP from me.
Code:
Wave	Time 	Par	
1	00:18	60	add peons
2	00:50	90	
3	01:42	180	
4	02:00	210	
5	01:59	210	
6	01:31	180	
7	03:13	300	
8	02:26	240	
9	02:11	240	
10	03:55	300	
11	01:38	180	
12	00:49	120	add shredders

Yep, that's me working on balance. To reduce the profitability of exploiting resource gathering by healing up/getting items while there are only a few enemies that can be ignored, I'm adding a soft "time limit" for waves. If that limit is reached, things will happen.

Last edited:

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
In terms of rules, no.
Make whatever player limit you like, but design it so that the game auto-balances based on how many players there are. Make it playable for any number of players (even single player) if possible.

Well yeah, I am making this map where you try to avoid death (caused by explosions of some kind around the map) and each team (Humans, Orcs, Undeads, Night Elves) has 2 members (1 mage unit, 1 "normal" unit) and each unit has different spells (f.e. Night Elf archer has Ensnare, Steal and Passive - Purify) that they can harass other teams or help themselves in order to survive.

The main goal is to collect points by:
1. Suriving on the map evading random missiles
2. Collecting items that provide you points
3. Completing mini guests

The team with the most points wins (2 options (time limit or Until Death) :D)

So surely you can play it f.e. 2v2 but it kinda sucks if any team is missing (since they all have their unique spells) or you can play it 1v1 or 1v1v1 or well... anything you can form with 8 players (teams have 1 or max 2 players) but the gameplay kinda lowers then.

Level 16
Most of the map is finished and the only real thing missing is to add more bosses and maybe do some balancing and bug fixes. Map can be found at:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/arena-253012/

You can consider this post my final entry, though will update the link above with the map as more bosses are added. Plan is to have 10 bosses before contest is over. There currently is 4 and a half finished one.

Level 14
Second wip of Y.A.S.M.B
Removed mercenary camp and made instead that if you have more than 10 gold you can with Beacon bowls create an paladin marine or an heavy tank but the useless Beacon bowl can not transform yours units it only adds its bonus.

Attachments

• Marine blood.w3x
    24.8 KB · Views: 61
Status
Not open for further replies.