• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Life of a Peasant

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Play as a Cop, Drug Dealer, Mafia or a normal peasant. Become Mayor, Mailman, Doctor and many more. Suggestions or glitches to stankynuggys, mete0rite, or DelYlonSlayer.

Description:
A restoration of a Warcraft 3 custom map classic: Life of a Peasant.

Over the years, many remakes and expansions have been developed by different creators, resulting in an entire genre by itself. However, somewhere along the way the original has been lost.

This project aims to piece together and restore what seems to be the original developers' intentions for this map by studying numerous remakes and expansions, as well as seamlessly cleaning up triggers, fixing bugs and removing unused data.

Unit data, terrain, flavor text and core gameplay mechanics have intentionally been left mostly untouched to preserve the original feel of the map.

Base Map:
* Life of a Peasant 101.6 by James

Reference Maps:
* Life of a Peasant Christmas! v3.0 by NOSS_Pimp (US West)
* Life of a Peasant War of Gods by schoolisTORTURE
* Life of a Peasant v6.0 by stankynuggys(?)
* Numerous protected remakes and expansions

Restored Content:
* Boathouse Mansion - North of the map, in between the school and McStankys. Typically removed and used as the base of operations for new factions in remakes.
* Mansion - South of the map, reversed copy of the other mansion. Typically removed and used as the base of operations for new factions in remakes.
* Crypt Keeper Job - North-east corner of the map. Typically removed and used as the base of operations for new factions in remakes.

Added Content:
* Judge Job - North-west corner. Referenced from Life of a Peasant Christmas v3.0, which as far as I know is that remake's original content.
* Sheriff Job - North side of town. I believe this job/area was incomplete in the original Life of a Peasant. Typically an area that varies from remake to remake as each creator tries to fill in the blank. However, based on incomplete triggers and terrain, I presume the original developers' intention was to create a Sheriff job.
* Marriage Conditions - A feature in some remakes that needed to be reverse-engineered due to protection. In order to get married, two Heroes need to occupy the Bride and Groom Circles of Power in the church before the wedding rings are spawned. Previously, item flooding was possible by selecting a single Hero and moving in and out of the marriage zone repeatedly.

Fixes/Changes:
* Houses - Fixed -open and -close command conditions to include the Police and Drug Lord.
* Houses - Fixed incorrect reference in mansion sell trigger. Gold is now properly credited to the right owner.
* Doctor Job - Fixed restricted area kicking so that the kick message is only displayed for the owner of kicked unit, not all players.
* Football - Used variables to better track Football Player and Football for removal.
* Thief Job - Used variables to better track spawned items for removal.
* Hooker Job - Used variables to better track spawned units and items for removal.
* Quitting Jobs - Re-ordered triggers so that the quitting message is displayed correctly to the quitting player. Previously, the quitting message for various jobs was not displayed due to incorrect sequence of triggers.
* Player Leave - Fixed incorrect trigger that failed to revert some jobs' ownership to Town when a player leaves.
* Some minimal tweaks to unit locations and terrain - Notably Principal office and peasant hero selection layout (evenly spaced out across the entire platform).
* Some minimal tweaks to correct misleading item descriptions - E.g. Bank Check cash amount.
* Hotkey and button placement fixes across all Heroes, units and items.

Removed:
* Cheat commands (gold and drug material)

Any bugs or glitches to be reported here.
Contents

Life of a Peasant (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
First of all, why the username-author discrepancy? For a 2020 map, this one seems rather substandard. I guess the original is just too bare. You could add hero glow to player hero units: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling It's primitive gameplay...
Level 6
check at bank states "cash at bank for 500" only gives 25
spider posion sting is a passive, with a hotkey, also no description
all i found in my basic run around

models are probly in short supply, right now, but i think you could add more currently make the town seem less bare
i do hope that the recommended version was a basic import from the file you used as its base, otherwise it should be made to work with 1.32 (which is what i tested on) (everything seemed to function correctly trigger wise)

Level 2
check at bank states "cash at bank for 500" only gives 25
spider posion sting is a passive, with a hotkey, also no description
all i found in my basic run around

models are probly in short supply, right now, but i think you could add more currently make the town seem less bare
i do hope that the recommended version was a basic import from the file you used as its base, otherwise it should be made to work with 1.32 (which is what i tested on) (everything seemed to function correctly trigger wise)

Thank you for your feedback.

I am aware of Bank Check and Spider Poison Sting description but decided to leave original descriptions untouched. There are other text issues that I chose to leave alone (typos, unnecessary capitalization, missing punctuation). The same goes for button placements, hotkeys, etc.

My aim is to restore and preserve the original feel of LoaP and change as little as possible. That is why most visible changes (content restoration) are exactly the same as original design, right down to terrain and unit placement. Large-scale text correction would be outside the scope of my intention.

The same reason is why I did not add custom models into the map, because the original did not use any.

Level 6
typos, unnecessary capitalization, missing punctuation). The same goes for button placements, hotkeys, etc.
even going for the originality, you should probly fix all these as much as possible

leave the rest since the nostalgic factor is so important, and a highlight of the map

Level 2
even going for the originality, you should probly fix all these as much as possible

leave the rest since the nostalgic factor is so important, and a highlight of the map

I hear you. These issues can be considered bugs and that ties in with my aim for this map.

I'll fix the gameplay-related issues, e.g. missing tooltips, overlapping hotkeys, misleading descriptions (e.g. Bank Check as you mentioned).

Thank you again for the feedback!

Level 11
Some QOL changes would be nice like replacing the tedious open and close commands with any other method, one of which could be switches like in RLFM.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
First of all, why the username-author discrepancy?

For a 2020 map, this one seems rather substandard.
I guess the original is just too bare.

1. You could add hero glow to player hero units: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
  2. It's primitive gameplay to remember all those -commands instead of creating a proper way of opening gates via selecting destructibles or nearby circle of powers step on or a dummy building (circle of power or having a doodad model) having an ability to do this (basically such a dummy building/unit near every gate).
Maybe we could expect a 24 player version?
Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Shar Dundred
Paillan
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

EDIT:
No updates or replies.
Substandard.

Last edited: