1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Hive Workshop Cup Melee Mapping Contest - Results

Discussion in 'The Arena' started by Landmine, Oct 11, 2019.

1. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Privet! (Hello in russian)

If someone is interested in this info: the rusian youtube video, casting starts in 1:43:00 1 hour 43 mins with Northwatch hold.

2. eubz

eubz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Sorry for not judging the contest. I have downloded the entries but because of health problems and issues, I was not able to do the job tasked for me.

I big sorry from me.

3. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    dont worry, take care of yourself.

4. Wayshan

Wayshan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    So can someone official (@Landmine) please make any announcement regarding the contest, the winners, the scores, new info, etc.? :) I think we deserve some information, given that the situation around the contest has evolved so much. If we don't have the results figured out as of this moment, then at least tell us you are working on the issue. Feels kinda weird to be informed about stuff by the contest participants, erm.

@WolfFarkas Thanks for sharing! Feels great to see some of our maps being played ^^

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
  5. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    REMODEDMO did an anouncement he will do a text review of the maps.

It will take some time, so lets wait for it.

6. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Today the 2nd quali was less hyped
    But we saw much more Ruins of Azshara

Link's stream (german): Twitch

7. Wayshan

Wayshan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Excited to see some Brightwater oasis and Goldport as well! :peasant-thumbs-up:

8. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Also TGW's first person stream!
    He's a very entartaining russian, who plays random. He took 3rd place!

Twitch

9. Wayshan

Wayshan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Here's some more, starring Uther's Slumber: Twitch :)

10. Nightmare2077

Nightmare2077

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Stars the Northwatch Hold as well :D

And by Link (german): Twitch

11. Wayshan

Wayshan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, which I didn't mention, cause it already was on display, it's my map and most importantly, @JaleVeliki keeps trash talk about the map whenever he can. Here and on the Twitch streams. Putting on some astounding constructive criticism such as telling others that the map "is boring".

:peasant-thinking:

12. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I dont know what was talked on Twitch,,, and if I would, I better not bring it here.

What Happens in Twich stay in Twich, whats happens in the hive, lets stay in the hive.
    so the Hive stuff.

So the Hive episode: @JaleVeliki did a discharge, @Nudl9 discouraged the way he posted, and the topic ended there with @Nudl9 doing wise comments..

@Wayshan , to me seems pointless to bring the Twich issue here, moderators cant moderate what happened on Twich. And start a discussion in the Hiveworkshop about what happened on Twich, doesnt seems something that can be solved here.

also I saw many times Trash talk on Twich, sorry, but it doesnt surprise me.

So a change of topic??

I like the enviroment of your map, the towers stuff you used, very clever.

upload_2019-10-15_23-52-30.png

I love dawning fall, I regret not voting it, my apology to @Isaak for not seeing it more deep,

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  13. Wayshan

Wayshan

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I am not demanding any kind of moderation from the admins. But I can't just stand and listen to someone trash talking other people's work, for no other reason than to hurt them & their work. I haven't been silent about the issue regarding Anomines and I am certainly not gonna be silent about attacks on my work either. All I am trying to is to point out is how arrogant can some people be. Try to imagine how you would feel over someone constantly trash-talking you and your work. Kinda spoils the fun when you see that in the chat of the event which is hosted by Hive and it's called Hive tournament. That isn't some stuff that's unrelated to this community. Anyways, not gonna poke into it more ^^

As for your comment, I have a similar feeling. I wish I had some spare moments when the poll was open.

14. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just stop listening to haters lol.

15. Kerael

Kerael

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Nudl9 /This.

@Wayshan To give you another perspective, I also got 'kinda disappointed' when I saw the reviews. The reason being: seeing 0 (zero) critique/feedback on the matter with only some incoherent thoughts in its place. Since this was my primary goal for the contest, it burned. It burned being invested in something for quite a while and only seeing white noise at the end. I understand everyone else's feelings firsthand, since I share them.

However there's nothing to still be bitter about. Really, there was no ill-will attempted on behalf of organisers and judges. Just a time trouble and a delusional person trying to be in charge. Tell me if it's the first time you've encountered something like this, come on.

But there's one thing that seemingly escaped everyone's attention as they were busy with their personal resentments. And it's really a shame.
    Get well soon, @eubz! If not for the health issues, your review would be instrumental to this contest as a whole. Alas!

One last thing to clarify, @Wayshan. The issue with Anomines isn't the same as attacks on your work. As in you can't compare an unjust disqualification with a negative comment.
    You know this is not true. You're trying to defend yourself. And that's fine. If you think that @JaleVeliki offended you, hold him accountable then. I'm not telling you to scream vengeance, though, just ask him here or in private about what is up.

Even without pulling Twitch chat, which tends to be impulsive and edgy by nature, there's this post in the previous page to which you haven't answered.
    And if there's nothing to answer, then there's something to learn. And hurt feelings.. can't really be an argument, sorry.

16. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    The issue is the image of his work being ravished because he's doing it backstab style instead of writing about it on the map thread.
    It's more of an indirect thing.

17. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    so what now? what should we do?

18. deepstrasz

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Just know people more like what they are.

What did you have in mind?

19. WolfFarkas

WolfFarkas

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    change topic to avoid spinnings around this topic that the only thing we can do is complain , but not moderate or ask for moderation.

I am very out of ideas.

20. JaleVeliki

JaleVeliki

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    @Wayshan

I didn't catch time yesterday, but I am working on a longer review of the map Northwatch Hold (visual arguments incoming) to point out what can be improved on the map, and why such map (regardless of author) - is NOT ready for competitive play. The main reason behind my salty approach is not because much, much better executed and thought-out maps ended up not being in the tourney, but because a map with many problems did and pros played on it. FOR MONEY.

Don't get me wrong, it has potential and is actually better than about 60% of contest entries, and I'm not even going to review subjective things such as texture/tileset or doodad choice and color; but fundamental features every competitive map has to have in order to be cup/ladder ready, such as: no wisp spots, enabled aow creeping and tree expand, somewhat symmetric buildable space for both players, map borders, mini-map readability, intuitive layout, fair layout, fair creep routes, no aggro while passing, choke widths similar to current ladder maps... and some of the things we'd very much love to see such as: creatively executed visual theme, no visual obstructions or distractions, creeps and visuals that fit the theme....

Other finalists do all of those things properly, and 5-6 maps that were placed lower than finalist do them better than Northwatch Hold. That is the main reason. Had there been multiple judges as previous contests, the result would show itself without me engaging, we just need more judges!

EDIT: The reason I'm displaying my opinions publicly is because people are afraid to criticize or start a discussion over it, and I saw none of mapmakers and previous judges daring to comment something about this map - so I'm starting it, regardless of contest results.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019