• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Heaven and Hell

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
Heaven and Hell

(This video is slightly outdated).

This is only intended for SD.
This is my entry for the 1st Level Design contest.

The map features two arenas, in contrasting style. It is my depiction of heaven and hell, and a direct portal/link between the two. There are over 180 freshly ripped doodads from World of Warcraft in the map (not all of them are in use), many of which I have animated specifically for this contest.

In heaven you will find bright lights far up in the clouds, on grand platforms held up by giant angel statues.
In hell you will find blood, gore, metal, bones and death.

Recommended settings are as follows:
  • Time of day 12.
  • Time of day speed 0%.
  • Camera distance 1900.
  • Far Z at max.
  • Always visible.
  • Disable fog and black mask.
  • Locked camera to unit OR set camera bounds to appropriate regions.
  • In heaven the fog settings should be Linear, z-start 0.00, z-end 4300 (only the most recent patch requires such a low number. Use a higher number on earlier game versions), density 0.5 color (100%, 100%, 90.2%).
  • In hell the fog settings should be Linear, z-start 0.00, z-end 2800 (only the most recent patch requires such a low number. Use a higher number on earlier game versions), density 0.5 color (39.22%, 19.61%, 19.61%).

There are several mechanics that can be utilized in this map, and you will find them listed below:
(I haven't bothered with leak cleaning simply due to readability).

This is the link between heaven and hell. There is an invisible destructible on top of the gates that enables you to walk across lowered terrain. To use the gates you have to play the Spell animation of the invisible destructible on top of the portals to lower it under the ground so you can walk down the stairs into the portal. There are pre-placed dead pathing blockers on top of the portals that needs to be resurrected when the gates are opened. This is what my triggers looks like;

• Open Door To Hell
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing Openhell as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet DoorToHellOpen = True
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 000 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • (Destructible-type of (Picked destructible)) Equal to Pathing Blocker (Ground)
            • Then - Actions
              • Destructible - Resurrect (Picked destructible) with (Max life of (Picked destructible)) life and Hide birth animation
            • Else - Actions
              • Animation - Play Walkable Destructible 0010 <gen>'s spell animation
      • Animation - Play the Morph animation for all doodads of type CD - 1 within Region 000 <gen>.
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play the Morph animation for all doodads of type CD - Aether Gate within Region 000 <gen>.
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play the Morph animation for all doodads of type CD - Stairs within Region 000 <gen>.
  • Close Door To Hell
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing Closehell as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet DoorToHellOpen = False
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 000 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Destructible-type of (Picked destructible)) Equal to Pathing Blocker (Ground)
            • Then - Actions
              • Destructible - Kill (Picked destructible)
            • Else - Actions
      • Animation - Play the Morph Alternate animation for all doodads of type CD - Stairs within Region 000 <gen>.
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play the Morph Alternate animation for all doodads of type CD - Aether Gate within Region 000 <gen>.
      • Animation - Play Walkable Destructible 0010 <gen>'s stand animation
      • Wait 2.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play the Morph Alternate animation for all doodads of type CD - 1 within Region 000 <gen>.
  • Open Door To Heaven
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing Openheaven as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet DoorToHeavenOpen = True
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 002 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Destructible - Resurrect (Picked destructible) with (Max life of (Picked destructible)) life and Hide birth animation
            • Else - Actions
              • Animation - Play Walkable Destructible 5645 <gen>'s spell animation
      • Animation - Play the Morph animation for all doodads of type CD - Hell - Skull Center Platform within Region 002 <gen>.
  • Close Door To Heaven
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing Closeheaven as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet DoorToHeavenOpen = False
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 002 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Animation - Play the Morph Alternate animation for all doodads of type CD - Hell - Skull Center Platform within Region 002 <gen>.
      • Wait 3.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play Walkable Destructible 5645 <gen>'s stand animation
screenshot_9-png.379304

screenshot_11-png.379305

These turrets are meant to shoot stuff. What they shoot is entirely up to you. Their base is separate from the actual tower, so they can face the hero without the base moving. Use a periodic trigger to move it to its own location, constantly facing towards the hero. Use them as follows:

• Towers Activate
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing activatetowers as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 013 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Destructible-type of (Picked destructible)) Equal to Tower
            • Then - Actions
              • Animation - Play (Picked destructible)'s Morph animation
              • Animation - Queue (Picked destructible)'s Stand Alternate animation
            • Else - Actions
  • Towers Shoot
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing shoot as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Animation - Play (Picked destructible)'s Spell animation
              • Animation - Queue (Picked destructible)'s Stand Alternate animation
            • Else - Actions
  • Towers Deactivate
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing towersdeactivate as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
              • Animation - Play (Picked destructible)'s Morph Alternate animation
              • Animation - Queue (Picked destructible)'s Stand animation
            • Else - Actions
screenshot_8-png.379307

These guillotines will chop stuff if you get too close. There are pre-placed dead pathing blockers to shut off pathing when they're active. Make sure you don't get stuck inside the pathing blockers when you resurrect them. Use the guillotine as shown;

• Activate Guillotine Spin Thing
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing Activateguillotine as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 006 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 003 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 004 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 005 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Animation - Play the Morph animation for all doodads of type CD - Hell - Skull Platform within Region 001 <gen>.
      • Wait 3.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play the Morph animation for all doodads of type CD - Hell - Guillotine Ring within Region 001 <gen>.
      • Wait 4.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play the Stand Alternate animation for all doodads of type CD - Hell - Guillotine Ring within Region 001 <gen>.
  • Deactivate Guillotine Spin Thing
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing Deactivateguillotine as An exact match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 005 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 006 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 003 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Destructible - Pick every destructible in Region 004 <gen> and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
            • If - Conditions
            • Then - Actions
            • Else - Actions
      • Animation - Play the Morph Alternate animation for all doodads of type CD - Hell - Guillotine Ring within Region 001 <gen>.
      • Wait 4.00 seconds
      • Animation - Play the Morph Alternate animation for all doodads of type CD - Hell - Skull Platform within Region 001 <gen>.
screenshot_10-png.379306

I haven't really thought up anything for these. They aren't animated, and serve no function. Use however it suits you.

screenshot_12-png.379312

Here is a demo map with some useful triggers.

• LongBowMan from XGM.
  • YourArthas.
  • The dude who made the water plane model.
  • The dude who made the glow model.
  • The dude who made the cloud model.
  • Blizzard / World of Warcraft for their models.
  • Retera for his model editor.
  • Magos for his model editor.
  • The creator of Mdlvis.
  • The team behind wow export tool.
If I have forgotten you please let me know, I will add your name asap.

14.05.2021 - Uploaded.
Previews
Contents

Heaven and Hell (Map)

Level 4
Hey, this is so cool! Love the platform mechanism and the whole terrain is just awesome.

Do you mind if I ask questions? I sneak peek into your project and saw it like this

Screenshot 2021-05-16 232924.png

1) How do you get rid of the green terrain in-game? I checked the trigger but my guess it isn't from there? (I can get rid of it using CTRL+T in world editor but don't know how to do it in-game).
2) How do you make the unit walk on top of those doodads? Are you using the platform or is there some kind of trick that allows you to easily make a unit walk on top of said doodads?

Thanks in advance

Hey, this is so cool! Love the platform mechanism and the whole terrain is just awesome.

Do you mind if I ask questions? I sneak peek into your project and saw it like this

1) How do you get rid of the green terrain in-game? I checked the trigger but my guess it isn't from there? (I can get rid of it using CTRL+T in world editor but don't know how to do it in-game).
2) How do you make the unit walk on top of those doodads? Are you using the platform or is there some kind of trick that allows you to easily make a unit walk on top of said doodads?

Thanks in advance
Hey, glad you like it.

This is meant for SD, so alpha tiles/transparent tiles won't work properly in HD.

this looks good, wish I still had the game so that I could test this and see it in-game :nemor:
Thanks!

You can always download the game from here;

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Approved also based on: Level Design Contest #1 - Results

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
Alexen
eubz
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/