• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fiallheim legacy

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Important

To improve my work, I acknowledge the need to acquire new skills. Meanwhile, I will be putting this project on hold. There won't be any updates until I have reached the necessary level to continue in a thorough and professional manner. This improvement will take time, especially considering that I am not very productive in my daily life. Thank you for your understanding. Among the skills I need to develop, I aim to enhance my ability to craft scenarios and improve my overall proficiency in creating maps for Warcraft 3.

Important

History
Aria, a youthful mage, made a grave error during her recent mission, leading to her subsequent exile to a village situated on the kingdom's border. As a penance, she was charged with transforming this strategically positioned village into a fully fortified city. Yet, upon her arrival, the reception was far from what she had anticipated.

In this beta campaign, only one map is complete, and I highly value your feedback, no matter its nature, to assist in refining my work. While the rest of the levels are still under construction, this map alone offers approximately 40 minutes of gameplay.

06/12/2023
The gnoll camp completely revamped.

Secret boss area entirely redesigned.

SD and HD compatible

Almost all air units removed.

Rebalancing the map's overall difficulty

Addition of the defense skill for footmen.

07/12/2023
Reduced the Doodads count from 25,000 to 9,944 on The first map. With minor changes to the map's level design.

09/12/2023
Implemented the ending cinematic, introduced game cache for the heroes, and integrated sound into the cinematics

10/12/2023
A second map is added, no quests or cinematics, just an early concept that can be further developed.

Minor changes made to the description of map number one.

Change of the descriptive text of Aria's water elemental to better match the statistics.
11/12/2023
Minor adjustment of Doodads and terrain for map 01

Adding ambient sound for the monsters.

24/12/2023
Add a world map to the screenshots.

Changing the campaign name to Fiallheim Legacy.

Artist : Zs Graphics
https://fr.fiverr.com/z_sajjad/design-fantasy-and-epic-fantasy-maps?source=order_page_summary_gig_link_title&funnel=794c490ce5e040ffb657175f348e85b8
Contents

Fiallheim legacy (Campaign)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Antherion has no hero glow. Could easily be added: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling Hero abilities are regular ones. Aria's ultimate is located improperly in the learn ability menu, so are the rest which should be one spot to their left. 3 too...
Level 3
I don't have an official name for the campaign; I just put the first thing that came to mind. If you have any ideas, please don't hesitate.

For your information, I don't have any particular skills in creating Warcraft 3 maps or even in video game design in general. This is my first map, but I want to improve it. So, if you have any ideas or critiques, I'm open to them. 👍

Level 4
I don't want to be overly harsh since this is a beta campaign with only one map that's currently being worked so I'll try to keep it somewhat simple (Impossible Challenge, lez goooooo)

Criticism 1: Antherion is too OP or rather, his specter is too OP with the +10 stats and 2% HP regen. His specter alone trivializes most of the fights. I find myself auto-attacking more often than not because what's the point? His 2% hp regen keeps everyone so healthy that I didn't feel like using any of his or Aria's skills or even microing my units. I just attack move into the enemy and wait. Naturally, thanks to his specter, I finished the mission without a single death.

Criticism 2: I mentioned that I didn't feel like using any of the 2 hero's skills thanks to someone's specter but I have some issues with those as well. Antherion already has the specter so why does he have 2 healing skills? Holy Light and Chain Heal do come in handy from time to time, don't get me wrong, but I feel like him having 3 options for healing might be a bit overboard. Also, why does he have an extra skill in the form of Inner Fire? Why does Aria not have an extra skill? I feel like if Antherion gets an extra skill, Aria should as well. Moving onto Aria, I get it, she's a summoner but it'd be great if she had another skill. Maybe a support skill or a damage skill. This skill could even be her extra skill like Inner Fire was for Antherion. Also, this is a personal nitpick but I hate Aria's level 3 golem skill. Replacing the rock golem that has an on-demand stun with something like the war golem that is just a beat stick has been the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever.

Criticism 3: I said earlier that Antherion's specter is too OP but there were moments where it felt fair and balanced because the fights I was in felt unfair and unbalanced. The one that sticks out in my mind the most was the Troll Warlord fight. Why does he have resurrection? The entire map is unbalanced imo. The fights are either unfair to the point that having a healing stick felt fair and justified or so easy because said stick exists. It can get boring.

Criticism 4: Fairness, balance, and skills aside, let's talk about the rewards that are spread out across the map. Taking the Troll Warlord from before as an example. For such an unfair fight where he can bring back the dead, why is the reward from that fight only a voodoo doll and mana pot as well as access to a mana fountain? And you have to destroy a barrel and a building for the doll and pot respectively as well. There's a bandit lord as well and that fight only rewards a book of intel + 1 if you destroy his tent. There are more unsatisfying rewards out there that aren't worth the effort of actually getting them. The only good rewards, imo, are the Orb of Fire and the secret boss artifact.

Criticism 5: In fact let's talk about the Orb and the artifact. To get the Orb, you need to do an optional side quest. Fair but does that side quest really have to be in the way of the main quest? You can't continue the main quest without going through said side quest because the base where the side quest takes place is literally in your way. I have tried to disturb the base as little as possible while progressing through the main quest but attacking anything or anyone pulls everyone and their mothers inside the base towards you which means free Orb of fire. The completion of that quest felt forced. Also the secret boss. it's not a secret when it's literally right next to the road you have to take to do the main quest.

Criticism 6: So this is a beta campaign and it's still being worked on but there is no story. why is the village allied with the undead? The quest said "The region has succumbed to the undead" but how? Were the people possessed? Is this the work of cultists? Did they fight back but surrendered and are serving the undead in exchange for being spared? What's the lore? I must know. Why are the orcs here? Side quest orc said expedition but for what? The road is also very linear, it's just one road and you only go off it for the secret boss or most of the side quests. There is more i want to talk about regarding the quests like how you can't trigger the side quest where you kill all the creeps until you go off-road and fight one instead of fighting a small group in the middle of the road, which could prompt some dialogue before triggering the quest.

Criticism 7: Ok this one is also a nitpick, I'll admit. The orcs being named "Computer (Normal)" and the purple undead having no team identifier if you hover over them.... kinda triggered me. The orcs could be named "Orcish Expedition" and the purple undead could just be called "The Undead". Also, why are both the player and the orcs colored red? It made things confusing at times. Probably should change the team color there, either the Orcs or the player.

Criticisms aside, there are things that i do like. First and foremost, despite all of my criticisms, this is still rather fun. it's a good time sink and some of the stuff within is quite funny (Timmy, what have they done to you? I remember when you were just a little village boy who was rescued by Arthas). There was a good bit of customization like the Elite grunts and captain (really should it to elite footman imo). I feel like this could go on to be a really good campaign given the premise of the story in the loading screen. Also please change Aria's rock golem skill, the War Golem at level really irks me. if you want my suggestion on how you can improve it, maybe make the level 2 golem a slightly buffed Battle Golem and level 3 a slightly buffed Rock Golem. i dunno, losing ther rock throw hit alot harder than i thought it did.

Edit: Also having using iseedeadpeople, i have one question. What that murloc doing? Bro is looking out into the sunset from his waterfall, contemplating life or something.

Level 3
I don't want to be overly harsh since this is a beta campaign with only one map that's currently being worked so I'll try to keep it somewhat simple (Impossible Challenge, lez goooooo)

Criticism 1: Antherion is too OP or rather, his specter is too OP with the +10 stats and 2% HP regen. His specter alone trivializes most of the fights. I find myself auto-attacking more often than not because what's the point? His 2% hp regen keeps everyone so healthy that I didn't feel like using any of his or Aria's skills or even microing my units. I just attack move into the enemy and wait. Naturally, thanks to his specter, I finished the mission without a single death.

Criticism 2: I mentioned that I didn't feel like using any of the 2 hero's skills thanks to someone's specter but I have some issues with those as well. Antherion already has the specter so why does he have 2 healing skills? Holy Light and Chain Heal do come in handy from time to time, don't get me wrong, but I feel like him having 3 options for healing might be a bit overboard. Also, why does he have an extra skill in the form of Inner Fire? Why does Aria not have an extra skill? I feel like if Antherion gets an extra skill, Aria should as well. Moving onto Aria, I get it, she's a summoner but it'd be great if she had another skill. Maybe a support skill or a damage skill. This skill could even be her extra skill like Inner Fire was for Antherion. Also, this is a personal nitpick but I hate Aria's level 3 golem skill. Replacing the rock golem that has an on-demand stun with something like the war golem that is just a beat stick has been the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever.

Criticism 3: I said earlier that Antherion's specter is too OP but there were moments where it felt fair and balanced because the fights I was in felt unfair and unbalanced. The one that sticks out in my mind the most was the Troll Warlord fight. Why does he have resurrection? The entire map is unbalanced imo. The fights are either unfair to the point that having a healing stick felt fair and justified or so easy because said stick exists. It can get boring.

Criticism 4: Fairness, balance, and skills aside, let's talk about the rewards that are spread out across the map. Taking the Troll Warlord from before as an example. For such an unfair fight where he can bring back the dead, why is the reward from that fight only a voodoo doll and mana pot as well as access to a mana fountain? And you have to destroy a barrel and a building for the doll and pot respectively as well. There's a bandit lord as well and that fight only rewards a book of intel + 1 if you destroy his tent. There are more unsatisfying rewards out there that aren't worth the effort of actually getting them. The only good rewards, imo, are the Orb of Fire and the secret boss artifact.

Criticism 5: In fact let's talk about the Orb and the artifact. To get the Orb, you need to do an optional side quest. Fair but does that side quest really have to be in the way of the main quest? You can't continue the main quest without going through said side quest because the base where the side quest takes place is literally in your way. I have tried to disturb the base as little as possible while progressing through the main quest but attacking anything or anyone pulls everyone and their mothers inside the base towards you which means free Orb of fire. The completion of that quest felt forced. Also the secret boss. it's not a secret when it's literally right next to the road you have to take to do the main quest.

Criticism 6: So this is a beta campaign and it's still being worked on but there is no story. why is the village allied with the undead? The quest said "The region has succumbed to the undead" but how? Were the people possessed? Is this the work of cultists? Did they fight back but surrendered and are serving the undead in exchange for being spared? What's the lore? I must know. Why are the orcs here? Side quest orc said expedition but for what? The road is also very linear, it's just one road and you only go off it for the secret boss or most of the side quests. There is more i want to talk about regarding the quests like how you can't trigger the side quest where you kill all the creeps until you go off-road and fight one instead of fighting a small group in the middle of the road, which could prompt some dialogue before triggering the quest.

Criticism 7: Ok this one is also a nitpick, I'll admit. The orcs being named "Computer (Normal)" and the purple undead having no team identifier if you hover over them.... kinda triggered me. The orcs could be named "Orcish Expedition" and the purple undead could just be called "The Undead". Also, why are both the player and the orcs colored red? It made things confusing at times. Probably should change the team color there, either the Orcs or the player.

Criticisms aside, there are things that i do like. First and foremost, despite all of my criticisms, this is still rather fun. it's a good time sink and some of the stuff within is quite funny (Timmy, what have they done to you? I remember when you were just a little village boy who was rescued by Arthas). There was a good bit of customization like the Elite grunts and captain (really should it to elite footman imo). I feel like this could go on to be a really good campaign given the premise of the story in the loading screen. Also please change Aria's rock golem skill, the War Golem at level really irks me. if you want my suggestion on how you can improve it, maybe make the level 2 golem a slightly buffed Battle Golem and level 3 a slightly buffed Rock Golem. i dunno, losing ther rock throw hit alot harder than i thought it did.

Edit: Also having using iseedeadpeople, i have one question. What that murloc doing? Bro is looking out into the sunset from his waterfall, contemplating life or something.
Thank you very much for the feedback you provided me. After considering your points:

'Antherion is too OP': I completely agree. Balancing is proving difficult, but I'll remove the passive heal in the end. Even when I test the map, I realize that the heal almost does everything for the spells. I'll buff the War Golem and Aria Stone Golem. (I admit the troll with resurrection is ultimately a bad idea.)
About the Fire Orb, which is not really avoidable, I understand. I'll likely rework the map to rearrange the side quests.
Regarding the story, you're right; it's not developed in the cutscenes I admit that's a serious issue, but I'm currently working on it.
I can easily change the names of the characters, so thanks for the observation. And yes, the Murloc is indeed lost. Thank you very much for your time. I'll try to improve everything.:piru:

Last edited:
Level 3
I understand it's one map but is it finished? If not please use Map Development until at least one playable map is finished.
Also, in case you've used these (Resources in use by Sword and bone) or anything external to the game, please write a credits list.
Yes, the map is playable, that's why I uploaded it. Only the cinematics are not done. Regarding the resources used, thank you for reminding me, because in the end, these are unused assets that I will remove. Of course, I will give credit if I use assets from other individuals, and I will remove them in the next version of the map.

Level 4
I've gotten quite a few notifications from this being updated a couple times soooo lez go, Short and Simple Review Challenge (Impossible!)

Dec 4th update (that i got)

Criticism 1: Loot quality was alot better but not much caught my attention other than what the Trolls and Bandits dropped as well as the orb.

Antherion's specter losing the 2% hp regen and becoming a +6 all-stats made the mission much harder, justifying the use of his 2 healing spells. Inner Fire also helped boost the team's overall survivability and damage output. Found myself microing much harder to keep some squishy people alive (footmen...). Also Orb of Fire being changed to Orb of Lightning was an unexpected but nice change (random dispel go brrrrrrrrr).

And finally, I was very much surprised to find out that Aria was buffed. She now has access to one of the most powerful summoned units. She summoned Archimonde but because she is a "fledgling", he popped out on the other side of the map. Aprox 40 mins of play time is about right since that is how long it took Archi to summon an army that steamrolled everything before then covering the map in nothing but doom guards and felhounds. Also Murloc made a new friend. He fell from the skyyyyyy and he got burnt.......

Dec 5th 1st update (that I got)

Aria: Archi. Where is he? Is he safe? Is he alright?
Antherion: It seems in your fledgling-ness, you summoned a ton of wisps and dispelled him
Aria: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dec 5th 2nd update (that I got)

Criticism 2: Not sure how to feel about Antherion losing Inner Fire. It was a good source of survivability and damage. Felt that Heroes having an extra skill was a good thing. Probably removed for balancing or scaling back hero kit complexity to make development easier?

Criticism 3: Aria getting a support skill in the form of Frost Armor is nice but i find issue with her not being able to auto-cast it like the Lich who it came from.

Antherion losing Inner Fire definitely made the overall difficulty of the map a bit harder but like i said, i don't know how to feel about this. Also Aria's lvl 1 golem skill getting buffed with 2x hp was a nice change. Also getting a support skill in the form of Frost Armor is a good choice for Aria. She is summoner, her personal combat potential is lacking but she makes up for it by summoning a ton of units before buffing them. Her gaining frost armor was probably also to compensate for Antherion losing Inner Fire? Her buff not being "summon Kil'jaden to the other side of the map" has made my disappointment immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Overall Thoughts

Yup, you're cooking. Also, i want to know if you may make this campaign playable with classic graphics. I know some players shy away from projects that force reforged graphics, some prefer classic over reforged but don't mind reforged too much, and some prefer reforged over classic. The first time i played, it was using classic and when i was trying out the new updates, it was forced into reforged which was a bit jarring. Anyways, that is a bridge you can cross at a later date, probably after development is finished.

Edit -> Also Criticism 4: I recommend you making a changelog on this page that lists the things you've changed. It would be a good idea so players that download the new update would know what to expect.

Level 3
I've gotten quite a few notifications from this being updated a couple times soooo lez go, Short and Simple Review Challenge (Impossible!)

Dec 4th update (that i got)

Criticism 1: Loot quality was alot better but not much caught my attention other than what the Trolls and Bandits dropped as well as the orb.

Antherion's specter losing the 2% hp regen and becoming a +6 all-stats made the mission much harder, justifying the use of his 2 healing spells. Inner Fire also helped boost the team's overall survivability and damage output. Found myself microing much harder to keep some squishy people alive (footmen...). Also Orb of Fire being changed to Orb of Lightning was an unexpected but nice change (random dispel go brrrrrrrrr).

And finally, I was very much surprised to find out that Aria was buffed. She now has access to one of the most powerful summoned units. She summoned Archimonde but because she is a "fledgling", he popped out on the other side of the map. Aprox 40 mins of play time is about right since that is how long it took Archi to summon an army that steamrolled everything before then covering the map in nothing but doom guards and felhounds. Also Murloc made a new friend. He fell from the skyyyyyy and he got burnt.......

Dec 5th 1st update (that I got)

Aria: Archi. Where is he? Is he safe? Is he alright?
Antherion: It seems in your fledgling-ness, you summoned a ton of wisps and dispelled him
Aria: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dec 5th 2nd update (that I got)

Criticism 2: Not sure how to feel about Antherion losing Inner Fire. It was a good source of survivability and damage. Felt that Heroes having an extra skill was a good thing. Probably removed for balancing or scaling back hero kit complexity to make development easier?

Criticism 3: Aria getting a support skill in the form of Frost Armor is nice but i find issue with her not being able to auto-cast it like the Lich who it came from.

Antherion losing Inner Fire definitely made the overall difficulty of the map a bit harder but like i said, i don't know how to feel about this. Also Aria's lvl 1 golem skill getting buffed with 2x hp was a nice change. Also getting a support skill in the form of Frost Armor is a good choice for Aria. She is summoner, her personal combat potential is lacking but she makes up for it by summoning a ton of units before buffing them. Her gaining frost armor was probably also to compensate for Antherion losing Inner Fire? Her buff not being "summon Kil'jaden to the other side of the map" has made my disappointment immeasurable and my day is ruined.

Overall Thoughts

Yup, you're cooking. Also, i want to know if you may make this campaign playable with classic graphics. I know some players shy away from projects that force reforged graphics, some prefer classic over reforged but don't mind reforged too much, and some prefer reforged over classic. The first time i played, it was using classic and when i was trying out the new updates, it was forced into reforged which was a bit jarring. Anyways, that is a bridge you can cross at a later date, probably after development is finished.

Edit -> Also Criticism 4: I recommend you making a changelog on this page that lists the things you've changed. It would be a good idea so players that download the new update would know what to expect.
You've brightened my day, haha. Archimonde was there to test the triggers of my map; I simply didn't remove it xD. Regarding Aria's Frost Armor, I recently implemented the spell and made only a few adjustments. Yes, Frost Armor is there to replace Antherion's inner fire. As for the Reforged graphics, I'm still undecided. Creating a changelog is a good idea, even though my development is chaotic at the moment.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. Antherion has no hero glow. Could easily be added: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
  2. Hero abilities are regular ones. Aria's ultimate is located improperly in the learn ability menu, so are the rest which should be one spot to their left. 3 too similar summon abilities get boring fast. The other hero has two healing ones which could prove overpowered with Brilliance Aura along.
  3. Some Footmen belong to the undead force...
  4. Terrain is flat but pretty nicely decorated here and there.
  5. Optional quests appear out of thin air without any proper context.
  6. The second orc quest is shown as main quest on the screen but it's in the optional side of the quest log. Doesn't seem optional when the base is right in the way.
  7. Not understanding the story. It's a different place but in the Warcraft universe?
  8. Little to no dialog overall. Frankly, this map doesn't seem finished either.
  9. Apparently the earth golems also speak murlocish.
Overall generic gameplay and story, playing human again, even the story reminiscing of the Scourge of Lordaeron.
Alone it's not enough, as a whole campaign could be nice.

Simple

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 3
  1. Antherion has no hero glow. Could easily be added: How to add Hero Glow without Modeling
  2. Hero abilities are regular ones. Aria's ultimate is located improperly in the learn ability menu, so are the rest which should be one spot to their left. 3 too similar summon abilities get boring fast. The other hero has two healing ones which could prove overpowered with Brilliance Aura along.
  3. Some Footmen belong to the undead force...
  4. Terrain is flat but pretty nicely decorated here and there.
  5. Optional quests appear out of thin air without any proper context.
  6. The second orc quest is shown as main quest on the screen but it's in the optional side of the quest log. Doesn't seem optional when the base is right in the way.
  7. Not understanding the story. It's a different place but in the Warcraft universe?
  8. Little to no dialog overall. Frankly, this map doesn't seem finished either.
  9. Apparently the earth golems also speak murlocish.
Overall generic gameplay and story, playing human again, even the story reminiscing of the Scourge of Lordaeron.
Alone it's not enough, as a whole campaign could be nice.

Simple.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Thank you for your thoughtful consideration of my project. I am committed to addressing all the points you've raised and sincerely appreciate the valuable feedback provided by Deepztasz and RavenBlack. To enhance the quality of my work, I understand the importance of acquiring new skills. Consequently, I have decided to temporarily suspend this project. Updates will be on hold until I have reached the necessary level of proficiency to advance in a comprehensive and professional manner. Given the constraints of my current daily productivity, this improvement process will require considerable time. Your understanding is truly appreciated.

As part of my skill development objectives, I aim to elevate my proficiency in crafting scenarios and refining my overall skillset in creating maps for Warcraft 3