• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Crimson Valley

Crimson Valley

The recent eruption of an ancient volcano have transformed the once barren landscape into a magical jungle, which every faction now seeks to claim for themselves!

Features
  • 6 Gold Mines (2 Main, 2 Expansion, 2 Third)
  • 2 Goblin Merchants
  • 2 Goblin Laboratories
  • 2 Mercenary Camps (Fall)
  • 2 Taverns
  • 8 Green Camps
  • 10 Orange Camps
  • 2 Red Camps
Screenshot

affw4x.png

Author Notes

Behold! My creation! It's about time I made another 1v1 map. Hope to get this on the ladder, along with my other creations, Northren Isles and Synergy. But we shall see.

I always try to push creativity with competitiveness on melee maps, and there's always something new to learn. I feel like this is the accumilation of all my melee mapping skills so far, all used to create, the greatest 1v1 map possible. Now is it really that? That remains to be seen.

I've created a very unique tileset that was inspired completely by the outland plant doodad. I thought, hey, this would look good in a jungle. N so I created this. Also inspired little by The Red Swamp.

I didn't rely on copy paste this time around, but actually made everything by hand, which let me tell you. Took one hell of a long time. Espically with the way I decided to create the treelines. I just couldn't not do it doe, because I knew the end result would be totally worth it. And lemme tell ya. It totally is.

I could go into many words on all the little nuances and balance ideas behind the map, but I won't bore ya with those details. Mainly, it should be competetivly viable, with a very unique layout, with some design decisions, that can always be qustioned, because the vary from the norm, but not so much to create immense imbalances. Things such as the central volcano and how the map layout is. Having 2 taverns, kinda exposed expansion, the fall mercenary camp and such. Nothing that should make it imbalanced, but things that should make it different, and interresting.

Map is still totally open to changes, and I would love some replays or feedback, to see how the players play on it, and what changes needs to be made based on some actual feedback. Tis always hard to judge until the pros or large amount of players get their hands on it.

Now it's yall's time to judge me!
Contents

Crimson Valley (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
All melee creeps in neutral hostile camps should probably be avoided even in 1v1 especially on mid-late game camps. The variety of trees looks good but it's quite chaotic in what the lumber gathering process is concerned. Basically, you just have to...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
  1. All melee creeps in neutral hostile camps should probably be avoided even in 1v1 especially on mid-late game camps.
  2. The variety of trees looks good but it's quite chaotic in what the lumber gathering process is concerned. Basically, you just have to get used to all or most types of game trees at once.
  3. On the left side, players get closer to the mine guards (golems and sea creatures) than on the right if not careful.
  4. Ogre Magi are quite powerful, maybe too powerful for ladder games. On top of that, the camp also gives Slow and Purge.
  5. Maybe humans will have a bit of a problem expanding with militia on the golem guarded mine with Slow and Throw Boulder.
It looks good but has a pretty standard layout. However, there's some creativity in what the tilest, creep and doodad mixing is concerned.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Paillan
twojstaryjakcie
Daffa the Mage
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 4
Gonna try this today! I love Northern Isles.

Deepstrasz said -
All melee creeps in neutral hostile camps should probably be avoided even in 1v1 especially on mid-late game camps.

How come?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Deepstrasz said -
All melee creeps in neutral hostile camps should probably be avoided even in 1v1 especially on mid-late game camps.
Well, to ensure that air units don't get the best of them. Now, I don't quite remember if the 6th level golem also attack air like the level 9 (?) one.

EDIT: OK, that golem also attacks air. Forget that point then.

Last edited:
Level 29
Map is so great!!

1) In the level 25 red creep, I would replace the warrior level 8 for the shaman level 7 or replace the wildkin level 4 for another shaman level 4.
(the shamman has ligthining shield wich may be annoying maybe you prefer another shaman level 4, to have a fulborg squatch camp)

it will improve the anti air counter of that creep, right now it has the level 4 shaman wich for a red it may be easy for air creeping IMO.
To much melee may be air weak.

2) I have a very minor strange feeling about bases.

upload_2019-2-25_10-7-45.png

upload_2019-2-25_10-3-49.png

Maybe is only me, lines are just lines and I am not good using them at all, but the ligth blue line that goes from base to the water, I feel just an inch more exposed with red base than with blue. maybe is just 1-2 editor pixel. And only because of that I feel more safe in blue base, but is very hard to spot.

Camara borders, I understand that the limit should not be seen by the land units (yup boring), I saw a -2 score reduction in the 3rd melee contest because of that. Easy to fix, increase map size and add cliff, deep water that stuff. I would not use trees because when you log, peons my try to log the trees beyond the playable area and after loging it looks ugly.
upload_2019-2-25_12-5-48.png

upload_2019-2-25_12-6-14.png

Still the spots are few, there is a lot of border work!!

Other than that I really like the map, very solid, very PVP with hi-jack options (and I can not find weak points in it).

5/5

Last edited by a moderator: