• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-mapping Contest #9 - Map Size Limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
This post will serve as my Final Submission.
Submission
Ancient Protector
Players: 1 - 5
Genre: Hero Defense (elements of RTS, TD)

Orcs and goblins are invading the forest in search of lumber and riches. You are an ancient protector: the first and last line of defense for this grove. Enemies will attack in waves, attempting to both harvest lumber and kill the protectors.

Main Features:
- Custom projectile system. Boulders fly in arcs as they would under gravity, bounce off the ground with reduced momentum, and collide with trees and units.
- Custom hero skill upgrade system. When you level up, you are presented with a randomised choice of 6 (can be increased) skills, ranging from actives to passive to modifiers for other abilities. This allows the one hero type to grow into many different roles, classes and playstyles.
- 20 waves spread across 30-45 minutes. Different enemies have different behaviours and objectives. Peons will attempt to directly attack and harvest the trees, while Grunts will seek out and destroy you. Many enemies have unique abilities.

Credits:
-Berz-, The_Silent, L_Lawliet, Sansui, Praytic, Marcos DAB, viiva, -BerZeker-, Callahan, donut3.5, MrHoon, Vermillion Edict, Ergius, Norinrad, kellym0, Vortigon, Lord_T, Sunchips, Elrath, JetFangInferno, JesusHipster, UgoUgo, Champara Bros, DCrimson, Pyritie, WILL THE ALMIGHTY, Ez_Mystery, Situ, Nightcrime, Bribe
(Detailed credits in-game)

19 June - Version 0.27 uploaded.
20 June (2:18 AM GMT+2) - Version 0.28 uploaded, contains several fixes.
23 June - Version 0.31 uploaded, multiple fixes, new abilities and balance changes.
28 June - Version 0.32 uploaded, several fixes, balance changes, and a new button for hero skill selection to free up a slot on the command card.
29 June (4:00 PM GMT+2) - Version 0.33 uploaded, more fixes.
29 June (4:49 PM GMT+2) - Version 0.34 with some balance changes, additional ability for tinker. (0.34b at 5:01 PM to fix knockback on thorny creepers)
29 June (10:29 PM GMT+2) - Version 0.35 uploaded, minor balance changes. FINAL SUBMISSION.

Note for judging: A few versions ago, there was a rare bug where the round wouldn't end, even after all enemies have been destroyed. It hasn't appeared the last few playthroughs, but in the case that it occurs, player blue (slot 1) can type -debug and then -endround to manually end the round.

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• AncientProtector027.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 80
  • AncientProtector028.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • AncientProtector031.w3x
    1.7 MB · Views: 104
  • AncientProtector032.w3x
    1.9 MB · Views: 58
  • AncientProtector033.w3x
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
  • AncientProtector034.w3x
    3.5 MB · Views: 92
  • AncientProtector034b.w3x
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
  • AncientProtector035.w3x
    3.5 MB · Views: 2,475
Last edited:
You mean, "many people who have made the same ridiculous mistake in the last 10 contests tried something too ambitious, again, and will not finish their map in time."

Honestly, how many times do you make the same mistake?

This actually was my first contest that I had attributed to...

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

eubz hadn't logged on today, bet he'll apply the extension even if he would log in tomorrow next time, as it's frequently wished

I think the statement in the rules; "Deadline extension is always open." just makes people lazy. It's fine that a deadline can be necessary when people have worked hard on their maps (shown a lot of WIPs with progress and WIPs of almost done maps).
But when a deadline is "always open" the first deadline doesn't make much sense because we just count on it being extended.
Personally I started very late and it's my own fault I cannot finish the map till the deadline.

Level 14
I too am in need of deadline extension if I want to finish my entry. And its not because i feel like im an 8'th grader, but because I'm doing this for fun, and i think it's silly to get caught up with the deadline when so many people would like to work on their maps for a few more days. Well im not gonna lie, i would need one more week to finish my entry.

Level 14
It's not to late now to post the entry, or is it?
I just woke up.

I'm out for a wedding for this weekend and as I started rather late with this contest I feel a little bit under time pressure.
So if there would be more time for us contestants I'ld highly appreciate it!

So, let's extend the contest to June 27th, 6 AM?

Sorry, no. I' say we vote on the date, rather than one person dictating it.
I wish deadline to be extended for 1 month, to make everyone have a chance and a glimpse, the contest will not get a winner until a long time passed, since there are many people participating in it already, with low judge number.

Vote: 1 Month.

Sorry, no. I' say we vote on the date, rather than one person dictating it.
I wish deadline to be extended for 1 month, to make everyone have a chance and a glimpse, the contest will not get a winner until a long time passed, since there are many people participating in it already, with low judge number.

Vote: 1 Month.

Again why have a deadline at all if it just gets extended indefinitely?
What happens in a month when new participants are not done with their map? They ask for another extension.
If there absolutely has to be an extension it is to make those users who are almost done able to get it done.
You started very, very late in the contest.

A week should suffice.
A deadline extension is not done so new people can join in. It's to let those who are nearly done already, get done.

Edit: some spelling errors

Last edited:
As much as I hate to admit it, solu9 is right. Deadline extension is meant for map finalization, not for starting over. If you didn't start on time, there is always the next contest, which will start about a week after this one ends.
In my opinion, a week might be too much, but I still vote for a week. I protest against one-month extension.

Level 30
I would say that the extension should not reach 1 month. That's too much and Solu9 pretty much made a good point. Extensions are not meant for late comers to be honest but for those users who are near on finishing their map and for them to finish it.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
Personally, I don't need any extension. And I agreed that contest like this is NOT for late commers (nice words, cokey). And it's your own risk if you re-make your entry in the middle of the way. And it sounds pretty selfish if you ask for ridiculous deadline extension (1 month?) for your own personal concern.

Just like some people have stated before, so what is that "deadline" given for if it can be indefinitedly extended? Deadline made so that people have to estimate their time (that's what I did), so that they don't make a "too-ambitious" project. They must consider making a map that could be finished in ONE month, that's the challenge of this contest. I think it's not interesting anymore if the deadline got extended.

So: VOTE FOR NO EXTENSION

anyway, extension is still okay for me. it's up to you guys. But please, consider my two cents above..

also read this notice:
Would you like to create a mini game during the period of one month? Then consider joining the Mini-mapping Contest #9: Map size Limited contest. It has already started!

EDIT:
I'm currently uploading the last update. I assume that the deadline is on this 23:59 (midnight).
I'm waiting for Tickles's entry, where is he? :/

Level 25
My vote goes for no more than 1 week.

We must remember that our judges opted to judge this contest based on the time frame, so if we extend it too long it might impact their availability. In a previous contest, the extension was about 2 weeks, and the maps weren't judged for another few months because the original judges went AFK.

Furthermore, we haven't seen playable WIPs from two historically strong contestants: Tickles and Kino. Would be a waste to not see those maps enter the contest.

Level 23
Furthermore, we haven't seen playable WIPs from two historically strong contestants: Tickles and Kino

Could someone give me a list of stuff I need to upload.
Cos last time I participated we just gave a screenshot and a final product and is was valid.

Also, historically Ive never won a contest, so I have no idea how that makes me a strong contender.
Just sayin.

Level 25
Could someone give me a list of stuff I need to upload.
Cos last time I participated we just gave a screenshot and a final product and is was valid.

Also, historically Ive never won a contest, so I have no idea how that makes me a strong contender.
Just sayin.

eubz just hasn't updated the OP since you posted your entry. Your WIPs definitely qualify as the required WIPs, so don't stress.

All you need to still do is upload a map in a post labelled "final submission", assuming of course we get the deadline extension.

Your maps have excellent polish and solid game play. If I was the judge of e.g. the dungeon contest, you would have won it.

I am sorry but I will exit the contest as-is. The deadline extension is too short for my entry, good luck to all nice contestants and entries. ;)

Eish, I was looking forward to it.

Will you be continuing this project as a non-contest map?

Kazeon

Level 33
Furthermore, we haven't seen playable WIPs from two historically strong contestants: Tickles and Kino. Would be a waste to not see those maps enter the contest.

dude, this is competition. I'm sorry if I'm wrong but I used to think sportively, since I have competed in so many things along my life so far and I understand WELL how a competition should be. AFAIK, there is no excuse in any true competition, once you lose: YOU LOSE. You can't beg for a retry or something like that. I used to follow the agreement. And what I know is that agreement is must be consistant, NO EXCUSE.

so what's the agreement here? One thing that I want to mention is that the deadline is today! So there is no excuse/extension for it. Again, I'm sorry if I'm wrong, wrong in YOUR OPINION. Does it sound selfish for you? think again!

and I feel pissed that a competition that I have been involved in, it's main goal is just to wait one or two contestant's entry (Tickles & Kino you said?). I came here to compete, to win. There is no "strong contestant" in a competition, everybody have same chances to win, if it doesn't happen here, seriously, I came to a wrong place.

EDIT:

and again, any extension is totally okay for me :grin: seeing that so many people need more times..

Level 25
I think of it differently.

It's not so much about winning the title, but rather competing with and beating other mapmakers.

If I were to win, it would be an half-empty victory since I wouldn't have made a superior map to a previous winner.

Would you feel successful if you won a race when fast competitors didn't show up on the day? I know I wouldn't. Competition is an interaction between people, testing their skill against each other. If you aren't competing against strong opposition, the question of whether or not you would have bested them remains unresolved.

You do have a point that the time frame is part of the competition, as it tests everyone's ability to work efficiently. Although that isn't the whole picture, since real life means not everyone has the same amount of time to work on these maps.

And just to clarify, my main goal in wanting the extension is to polish my own map.

PS: Deadline was this morning at 6 AM GMT+1.

Kazeon

Level 33
probably right :)

anyway, here is the final update (if there is no extension) link

btw, what I meant with "to win" is not that I must win, but I will do anything to win

EDIT:
have re-considered the situation. Since there are only 4 entries so far so I vote for a deadline extension. The time is up to you guys :)

Screenshots? :)

Yes, my kind sir, just a moment :)

EDIT:
It's not 100% done, but I'm getting close :)

Given the extension time, I believe I will bring this to perfection by masking all traces of warcraft :)

These are the Loading Screen, the Menu and some Gameplay.

Attachments

• Screen1.jpg
    Screen1.jpg
    542.7 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen2.jpg
    Screen2.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 89
  • Screen3.jpg
    Screen3.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Status