• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #6 - The First Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 35
I will upload map tomorrow if that's ok.

If my calculations are correct, which I hope - then there should be time given that Pharao talked about an ultimate deadline being when the poll was posted in two days and that was 1 day ago, so should be tomorrow included.

Which I really hope given that sometimes early morning/very late this day I'll be posting mine :smile:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
This is a big part of the reason behind the Wc3C's general policy in terms of Hero Contests. A basic, melee map is provided that everyone must use to build their hero in (which helps standardize things), and no edits are made to the map itself; just create a cool hero, and see how it stands on its' own.
Don't get me wrong, it's nice to show off talents, but we have loads of contests for that. :p
This and all the above dissension about hero-levels is why there must be standardization. It doesn't matter whether your hero has 10 lvls, 25 lvls, or 1000; whether he has 4 or 6 abilities; whether they are story-heroes (i.e. with personal proper names and storylines, such as Jack Frost or Wyronus) or generic melee heroes (made to be in multiples, such as the Troll Death Speaker or my own Nightwalker). What matters is that everyone has a standard basis to go off of, so the real creativity comes from the hero-design itself, rather than silly comparisons and "lost points" for irregularities.
Case in point; does the Wyronus lose originality for using an in-game spell (Sleep)? By itself it's a great and creative idea, but if this is stacked against Melee than that's not good.

~~~

I rather like your Green Dragon Aspect hero; at least the "put to Sleep" then "rule their nightmares" concept.

~~~

Any issues with my hero?

Level 35
Well given that I have yet to actually find a way to actually get my model to be correctly transferred so I can actually make it work in warcraft.. I have a problem..

Oh well, maybe - but not likely - And I had such a great idea for it. Gad damn that converting it such an issue to warcraft :bored:

Hope might help...

Well at least I'll end up with a video about it, whenever I am done. I miss my old programs - they worked.

LOL :D

Yup,Neltharion is actually a member of the Dragonflight(am i right?)
Also,use sapphiron's model

Neltharion is Deathwing it's his true name according to wow lore, he helped Night Elves during their war with the legion until he became corrupted
( http://www.wowpedia.org/Neltharion )

well you use his corrupt form/model :p

Blizz uses his corrupt form/model too at that time
deathwing.jpg

Level 14
If only someone made a model for super mario sunshine... :(
Burning legions will be no worries for our red hatted water plumb hero!

31289-super-mario-mario-sunshine.jpg

Level 35
Well as the conversion keeps failing and hence resulting in me never being able to create the hero in the editor I just wanted to post this which is basically my WIP. It is in fact the third of these I made - all others failed as well, just in a fashion that pretty much destroyed them and this third attempt just results in either a crash or nothing. Not entirely sure why - but damn I miss a converter...

Enjoy - I really would have loved to finish this as intended. :sad:

This was basically finished, fully animated - but can't convert it to mdx - so no particles and not much point in making an hero for it in the editor.

EDIT: Should be said that now I went ahead and realized my idea in the editor in a different way, where I re-used the skin I made for this, as a re-skin of the skeleton mage :grin:

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
~More Final Update~

Managed to make a few quick fixes. Some have pointed out an animation gaff with the model under certain situations, but I was unable to reproduce. As it stands, I think it all still works fine. Hopefully some of the art-changes make things look better overall.

Let me know if any bugs appear. If the poll still isn't up, may be making other changes; otherwise this can stand as the final.

Attachments

• [THW.Hero6] - Nightwalker_v3.0 (Kyrbi0).w3x
    281.9 KB · Views: 97

Hero Contest #6: The First Invasion

Priestess of the Moonlight

★ Download Map ★

The First Invasion

..."Sargeras gathered his vast Burning Legion and made his
way towards the unsuspecting world of Azeroth. The Legion
was composed of a million screaming demons, all ripped from
the far corners of the universe, and the demons hungered for
conquest. (...) Sargeras began his catastrophic invasion of
Azeroth. The warrior-demons of the Burning Legion stormed
into the world through the Well of Eternity and laid siege to
the night elves' sleeping cities..."

★ Download Map ★

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

★ Download Map ★

★ Download Map ★

Credits:

- Not finished

Abilities:

- Not finished

Attachments

• Hero Contest #6 The First Invasion.w3x
    640 KB · Views: 384
  • WC3ScrnShot_120412_124018_01.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120412_124018_01.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 452
  • WC3ScrnShot_120412_124020_02.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120412_124020_02.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 447
  • WC3ScrnShot_120412_124021_03.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120412_124021_03.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 437
  • WC3ScrnShot_120412_124023_04.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120412_124023_04.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 402
  • WC3ScrnShot_120412_124024_05.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120412_124024_05.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 398
  • WC3ScrnShot_120412_124025_06.jpg
    WC3ScrnShot_120412_124025_06.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 410

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Excited for the poll. Not sure I took the best direction (and balance certainly isn't a strong suit for me), but we'll see how this pans out.

That being said, does anyone have a comprehensive list of entrants/entries? I'd be interested to see who/at I'm up against. :p

Level 35
Well final post and entry for Hero contest #6- And entry if it can be called that.

Its not what I wanted, but its what I got given the time I have.

Enjoy it as much as you want :smile:

131841-albums1057-picture63568.png

131841-albums1057-picture63555.jpg
131841-albums1057-picture63572.png
131841-albums1057-picture63555.jpg

Brought forth from another battle, a battle of wits and courage in order to save human life. Now his talents have found use in another fight for life, given the chance by a deranged arch wizard that figured that summoning a rather unspecific person who was brilliant at fighting fires would be a perfect idea. Hence William arrived to meet the burning horde. The surprise for anyone besides the arch wizard was that he actually was good at battling demons.
Fires beware, William is here.

Download the map here: View attachment Firefighter - William v1.w3x

Also since this is the final entry - I have attached the video here as well (Of the model that I couldn't use due to converter troubles - hence the current ironic skin):

Download the map here: View attachment Firefighter - William v1.w3x

Credits to models used not of my making (Also given in map):
Thrikodius - JesusHipster - eubz - Deolrin

All other things - Including graphic in this post is made by me or Blizzard original

131841-albums1057-picture63569.png

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
I know the poll will have the list. I was hoping for a running total; not a big deal, though.

The nice thing about these hero contests is that they force me to get off my duff and do; just actually create something I've been theorycrafting & thinking about forever. Ultimately my entry, with a bit of polishing, is made to be insert-able into melee Wc3 (or rather, my neutral Tavern additions & such).

Level 35
Lol RED BARON what better way of fighting the Burning Legion rather than a fireman. Great idea.

Yea thats what I thought - even if the execution now lacks a lot of what I wanted to do, now that I don't have my model with its animation to support me :smile: If someone figures out how to convert the damn thing I would gladly finish the skill set I originally wanted for him and gladly reward whomever do :thumbs_up:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
~Update v4.0~

I think I could do this all day...

Someone pointed out a bug, which led me to a few fixes that needed to happen (sight range, animation errors, icon issues (SUCH AN IDIOT... Using "Critical Strike" instead of "Ghoul Frenzy" icon for a "Claw-swiping-arc" ability!!)).
Also threw in some custom icons that really fit, and fixed the Credits & map options.

Hopefully Pharaoh doesn't mind us all continually fixing... :p

Attachments

• [THW.Hero6] - Nightwalker_v4.0 (Kyrbi0).w3x
    304.4 KB · Views: 249
Level 35
All final submissions I have been able to find. Also I checked for WIP's and noted comment for those I couldn't see/recall one for.

Enjoy :wink:

FireFighter William - RED BARON
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrynok Frostglance, the Frost Herald - Luorax
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flower Dryad, Diana Windwood - juno
He has like 4 final entries.. Took the newest link

Nature's Raiment, An'da Grovemane - Orcnet

Frost Sorceress - mckill2009

The Shadow Warrior - Mephestrial
(Edit: WIP is in the final submission)

Ancient of Stone - Meepo-

Troll Death Speaker - Jake Kessler

The Purifier, Dath'Remar Sunstrider - AdityaHegde

Doradin - Chaosy

(Being unable to skip the cinematic is rather annoying - no camera reset, no ingame credits, minor spelling error in the cinematic, default map title, not the same name for hero in cinematic as in the game).

Jack Frost, Guardian of Ice - Adiktuz

Cyrisse Moongrove, Arcane Priestess - En Tropy

The Trapmaster, Fakker Plug - Kyousuke Imadori
(No ingame credits, no revive/lose upon death, nice hero)

Arch Bishop - Lordkoon
(EDIT: This is his confirmed final entry)

The Dwarven Engineers - Christers

Nightwalker - Kyrbi0

Serengale, The Holy Paladin - Mr Bean

Incarnations - Xiliger
(Said final submission so far, hero dies rather easily, no revive, spells seems somewhat bugged)

Feral Master, Fraxineus - Garfield1337
(Map has no title, The deer spell doesn't seem to apply a healing buff to other units)

Wyronus, the Lieutenant of the Green Dragonflight - WerePhoenix

Rovlen,Druid of the Ages - Radamantus

Deathwing, Aspect of Death - Zenonoth
(Original first entry with description: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2252825-post396.html)

Priestess of the Moonlight - -Kobas-

Thats all folks :smile: Quite a lot of people I say.
Oh and to tell if I got something wrong, then I'll fix it. :wink:

Good luck to us all :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
My first concern is Mephestrial's entry; the Burning Legion was supposed to gather demons from the corners of the universe, how could some stand by the side of the Night Elves?

My second concern is the comment posted by AdityaHegde. Pre-work is not allowed in the contests.

(Note, my first concern doesn't have an impact on the poll, Mepherstrial will normally join, I just inform him in case something goes wrong with the concept criterium; my second concern will probably lead to disqualification.)

Finally, this must be the most successful Hero Contest. I want to thank everyone, well done, honestly. May the victorious shine :)

My work in progress screenshots are right there in my entry's post. I edited it later to add my submission. Also, I'm confused by your meaning with the following quote.
My first concern is Mephestrial's entry; the Burning Legion was supposed to gather demons from the corners of the universe, how could some stand by the side of the Night Elves?
If your talking about the Highborne forces at the top of the map, in the lore it said the Sargaeras tricked Queen Azshara and her Highborne followers into opening the portal for him to enter. It would be kinda stupid to kill off the beings meant to summon you before the summon finishes.

Level 35
I just looked at the numbers, and it seems that mine was the first completed entry :p

Yea I took them in order, except my own :smile: Of course many updated their final ones several times, but the order they appear in my post, is the order they first submitted something final :thumbs_up:

My work in progress screenshots are right there in my entry's post. I edited it later to add my submission.

Ah okay. Updated list.

Last edited:
Level 35
Also there's no buff indicator other than the effect, but it heals.

Thats what I meant with seem not to :smile: I figured it still worked, just that there was no indication of it.

I like the idea btw.

Oh and given the poll still isn't here and that no post of the contest official being over I figure its quite alright to change it. If your did it, I will just update my post to no longer reflect it.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Finally, this must be the most successful Hero Contest. I want to thank everyone, well done, honestly. May the victorious shine :)
I agree (and am quite surprised, actually; over 20 entries! Almost as good as the Wc3C Techtree Contest :p). This will be quite a poll. Just goes to show that with a solid, relatable and modular theme, lots of cool ideas can come about. While I don't think my 'boring' made-for-melee Lycanthrope will stack up as well against all those AoS-inspired individualities, let's see how this pans out. :p

Level 16
I'm not really satisfied with mine either, but meh.
1) It's too late to create a new one;
2) I don't think I could come up with a better one (well, I could, but the possibilites are limited as the new one should be easy to be implemented to any map)

So yea.

Level 14
I agree (and am quite surprised, actually; over 20 entries! Almost as good as the Wc3C Techtree Contest :p). This will be quite a poll. Just goes to show that with a solid, relatable and modular theme, lots of cool ideas can come about. While I don't think my 'boring' made-for-melee Lycanthrope will stack up as well against all those AoS-inspired individualities, let's see how this pans out. :p

I agree with you. People in hero contests almost all the time prefer to make an explosion of special effects unnatural to a balanced and well displayed hero which if put in a melee map with lets say 4-5 people playing it it gets horribly effect-spammed. Surely there are also heroes more agile to utility and sinchronisation with their abbilities than a overdose of eye-candy effects. I am looking forward into seeing such too...and after all cheer up, there is no 'ingame display' score to fill.

Level 35

I made it that one from the beginning unless I screwed something up when I updated it with colors and names.

EDIT: Ah now I get it you misunderstood my intentions. I just linked to both of yours with the real one being the one I linked in the name and the first one as the link below it. Given that you had made a bit more of an effort with the first one I figured it deserved to be mentioned in case people wanted the credits, description and screen-shots. :wink: (I'll edit it to make that intention more obvious).

Status
Not open for further replies.