• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #6 - The First Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Entry version for the Dwarven Engineers. Made a small map in order to showcase their defensive abilities.

Type 'maginot' to give Dwarven Engineers 1000 XP (can be used multiple times).

Description:

BTNMortarTeam.png

The Dwarven Engineers combine extensive knowledge of defenses and fortification with a long-ranged attack damaging multiple enemies, making them adept at static-defense of bases and can customize their towers to deal with a wide variety of enemies, although they have specialized in dealing with the demonic hordes of the Burning Legion.

Abilities:

Build Tower
Constructs a basic tower that can be upgraded to a wide variety of different defensive towers.
Level 1 - Can have a maximum of two dwarven towers at a time, 120 second cooldown.
Level 2 - Can have a maximum of three dwarven towers at a time, 90 second cooldown.
Level 3 - Can have a maximum of four dwarven towers at a time, 60 second cooldown.

Place Land Mines
Lays a land mine at a designated location which explodes when enemies come near.

Enables Mortar Tower and Mine Layer Tower

Level 1 - Deals 200 damage to close targets and 75 damage to nearby targets. 50 second cooldown, 4 second casting time.
Level 2 - Deals 400 damage to close targets and 150 damage to nearby targets. 40 second cooldown, 3 second casting time.
Level 3 - Deals 600 damage to close targets and 225 damage to nearby targets. 30 second cooldown, 2 second casting time.

Improved Schematics
The Dwarven Engineers develop improved schematics in order to hold the line, increasing the health of all Dwarven Towers as well as giving the Engineers new abilities
Level 1 - Gives the engineers the ability to Repair Structures, and increases health of all Dwarven towers by 20%.
Level 2 - Gives the engineers the ability to Sabotage (stun and damage an enemy building), and increases health of all Dwarven towers by 40%.
Level 3 - Gives the engineers the ability to Build Medic Centres to heal units, and increases health of all Dwarven towers by 60%.

Enables Sharpshooter Tower and Spotting Tower

Ultimate: Juggernaught

The Dwarven Engineers bring out the finest tool in their arsenal, a mighty siege tank. Increases the Dwarven Engineers' hit points by 500, changes armour to Fortified, makes them Mechanical and removes minimum range. Also reduces total range significantly, removes area of effect damage and removes normal hit point regeneration.

Enables Artillery Tower and Cooling Tower

Towers:

Dwarf Tower

The basic tower that is produced by the Dwarven Engineers, it has no attack or special abilities, but upgrade to all other towers.

Requires: Build Tower

Cost Gold/Lumber: 50/0
Build/Repair Time: 5s/30s
Hit Points: 250
Armour: 5, Small

Damage: N/A
Damage Type: N/A
Attack Speed: N/A
Range: N/A

Abilities: Upgrade to all other towers.

Attack Tower

The most basic dwarven tower, the attack tower requires no special abilities from the Dwarven Engineers and deal decent damage.

Requires: Build Tower

Cost Gold/Lumber: 50/20
Build/Repair Time: 20s/30s
Hit Points: 400
Armour: 5, Large

Damage: 30-35
Damage Type: Pierce
Attack Speed: 1.1s
Range: 700

Abilities: N/A

Mortar Tower

The Mortar Tower deals splash damage to ground units and is a solid choice for defense against hordes of infantry.

Requires: Place Land Mines

Cost Gold/Lumber: 250/100
Build/Repair Time: 30s/30s
Hit Points: 600
Armour: 5, Fortified

Damage: 80-120
Damage Type: Siege
Attack Speed: 3.5s
Range: 800

Abilities: Deals splash damage.

Mine Laying Tower

The Mine Laying Tower deals no damage of its own, but makes up for this deficiency in being able to create a minefield over time.

Requires: Place Land Mines

Cost Gold/Lumber: 150/50
Hit Points: 300

Abilities: Can summon land mines (150/50 damage) in a 1000 radius of itself every 30 seconds.

Sharpshooter Tower

The Sharpshooter Tower has the second-longest range of the Dwarves' towers, and deals high damage with the potential for critical strikes.

Requires: Improved Schematics

Cost Gold/Lumber: 200/100
Build/Repair Time: 40s/40s
Hit Points: 400

Damage: 75-75
Damage Type: Pierce
Attack Speed: 2.5s
Range: 1100

Abilities: Critical Strike (20% to do 2 times damage)

Spotting Tower

The Spotting Tower is another tower with no attack of its own, but makes up for it in special abilities. It can detect invisible units in a wide range, has a long sight-range at day and night and can reveal areas of the map.

Requires: Improved Schematics

Cost Gold/Lumber: 50/20
Hit Points: 200

Abilities: True Sight (1800 radius), Reveal (20s cooldown)

Artillery Tower

The most powerful tower in the dwarves' arsenal, combining dwarven engineering with stolen magic to create the ultimate defense of the realm.

Requires: Juggernaught

Cost Gold/Lumber: 400/150
Build/Repair Time: 50s/50s
Hit Points: 600
Armour: 10, Fortified

Damage: 40-60
Damage Type: Siege
Attack Speed: 2.0s
Range: 1350

Abilities: Costs 2 food, Splash

Cooling Tower

Another tower that deals splash damage, what the cooling tower lacks in pure damage potential it makes up for in its ability to slow down the enemy.

Requires: Juggernaught

Cost Gold/Lumber: 200/100
Build/Repair Time: 50s/50s
Hit Points: 500

Damage: 20-20
Damage Type: Magic
Attack Speed: 1.4s
Range: 750

Abilities: Splash, Slow down enemies

Attachments

• Dwarven Engineer Map.w3x
    56.2 KB · Views: 259

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
~Final Entry~

Bah humbug. Ran outta time to put that last finishing touch. Well...

Here it is. The Nightwalker in all his ravenous glory. I realized early on that you can take a 'werewolf' hero one of 4 primary ways: Either STR-based (burly powerful forest beast) or AGI-based (secretive forest slayer), and either A: "Lone Wolf" (capable assassin) or B: "Leader of the Pack" (supportive and group-based). In order to stretch myself, I went away from the obvious/easy (AGI & "Lone Wolf") and tried to make more of a STR-based, "Leader of the Pack" hero.
Didn't entirely work. :p But still, lots of fun, and a nice simple guy.

Please play as Red, and as Night Elf (threw him in their altar, though there's a code for summoning him either way), for best results. I left that swarm of Mur'gul Slaves in the middle of the map for testing purposes. With a few tweaks, this guy'll probably go in my "neutral hero additions" thing (always wanted a werewolf).

Good luck, everypony.

Attachments

• [THW.Hero6] - Nightwalker_v2.0 (Kyrbi0).w3x
    277 KB · Views: 82
Level 6
I've been so busy that I hadn't even realized November was almost over. I definitely won't be able to finish my hero in time unless I spend the next six and a half hours on it, but I'll still finish her at some point and perhaps put her into a map

EDIT: I forgot there's still another day, maybe I can still do it

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Christers said:
Entry version for the Dwarven Engineers. Made a small map in order to showcase their defensive abilities.
Type 'maginot' to give Dwarven Engineers 1000 XP (can be used multiple times).
@ Christers: Alright, now that's looking much better. Granted, that's just my own (admittedly biased) opinion, but still. Juggernaught, even though it sounds very similar to Robo-Goblin, sounds much better than 'Magic Missile' (the only suggestion might be "Dreadnaught/naut" and making it a summon of sorts, but then again... Siege Engine hero FTW :p). Still dislike the 'Lay Mine' ability, but it all wraps up in a nice package now, at least. Cool stuff; glad I could help.

Jake Kessler said:
With the deadline drawing nearer, I'm forced to admit my RPG for the Death Speaker won't be done on time. I'm still working on it and I'll be posting it once it's finished.

For my contest entry, I've mocked up this sample map allowing you the use the Death Speaker in a normal melee scenario. The map is modified from Blizzard's "Circumvention" (TFT). I've added the Death Speaker as a trainable Orc Hero at the Altar of Storms. To best showcase the Revive Troll ability, I've replaced the Taverns on the map with Mercenary Camps where you can hire Forest Trolls.

I may or may not post another update during the week; if not, this will be my final entry. Enjoy!
@ Jake Kessler: I was building my hero and I had a thought. Basically (and I'll be honest here), I've never really liked the idea of your ultimate. Summoning a crazy-blood-god-snake-avatar is cool enough, sure, but I can't think of a situation bad enough (or a need strong enough) to get rid of your hero. Aside from her being at the end of her life (which shouldn't happen anyway), I too have made the mistake of underestimating the value of heroes to the game of Wc3. It's immense.

That being said, I had an idea. You need a summon, you "need" (want) to remove the hero from the equation for a time, but you (perhaps should) want her back. Simply use a modified version of the Pandaren Brewmaster's Storm, Earth, and Fire.
The primary 'thing' summoned by this ability would be your "crazy-blood-god-snake-avatar" creature. No changes there. Then, you'd make only one more thing summoned: in essence, a 'dummy caster' (a nonselectable, non-killable, Locust-having shadowless model-less unit).

What happens is, with the PB's SEF, the player can manipulate any number of summoned units separately for the duration of the summon. As long as just one of the summoned units is still alive at the end of the duration, they all disappear and the hero is re-constructed.
For you, that means it basically just "removes" the hero and "replaces" it with your blood-snake-god, rampaging all over Creation... This guy can go absolutely biz-onkers, even get himself slain, because at the end of the timer, you still have your (unselectable, un-killable) "dummy caster" alive, so your hero is resurrected.

Also, it's a reasonably creative application of an existing ability (something not done enough, considering the number of unused & under-used abilities in the MPQ, in my opinion. :p). Anyway, just a suggestion.

Level 17
Here is my final entry.

Serengale, The Holy Paladin

BTNArthas.gif

pasauraoflight.jpg

Cleansing Presence

Passive: The Holy Paladin has a cleansing aura about him. Nearby allies will be healed per second and nearby enemies will be damaged per second.
The effects of Purging Bolt and Penance will be amplified on units that are affected by this aura.
Area of effect: 450.

Level 1: 2HP/s heal and damage; 15% amplification
Level 2: 3HP/s heal and damage; 20% amplification
Level 3: 4HP/s heal and damage; 25% amplification

btnsoothingbolt.jpg

Purging Bolt
Active: The Holy Paladin conjures a bolt of holy energy and sends it to an allied or enemy unit.
If the target is an ally it will be healed and receive a damage and armour bonus.
If the target is an enemy, it will be damaged and have its attack damage and armour reduced.
The bolt bounces to nearby alllies of the target, applying the same effect.

Level 1: 80HP heal/damage; 15% damage and 2 armour bonus/penalty; 4 bounces
Level 2: 160HP heal/damage; 25% damage and 3 armour bonus/penalty; 7 bounces
Level 3: 240HP heal/damage; 35% damage and 4 armour bonus/penalty; 10 bounces

Cooldown: 7 seconds.

holybolt.gif

Penance
Active: The Holy Paladin channels a surge of energy and spreads it to all nearby units.
If it is an ally it will be healed and if it is an enemy it will be damaged.
Area of effect: 400.

Level 1: 50HP heal; 75 damage
Level 2: 100HP heal; 150 damage
Level 3: 150HP heal; 225 damage

Cooldown: 13 seconds.

btnorboflight.jpg

DIVINE FIELD
Active: The Holy Paladin creates a field of holy energy at the target area.
Enemies that enter the field have their attack speed reduced by 25% and their attack speed reduced by 50%.
The Holy Paladin also gains 10 bonus attack damage depending on how many units are in the field.
Field lasts for 10 seconds.

Cooldown: 45 seconds.

Models:
- Norinrad: Runical Aura
- Champara Bros: Penance
- JetFangInferno: Holy Aurora
- Vexorian: Dummy

Icons:
All icons (except that used by Penance) were obtained with Google Images.
Used Button Manager (by Shadow Daemon) to convert them to .blp.

Map: View attachment Hero Contest 6 - Mr_Bean.rar

Level 10
@ Jake Kessler: I was building my hero and I had a thought. Basically (and I'll be honest here), I've never really liked the idea of your ultimate. Summoning a crazy-blood-god-snake-avatar is cool enough, sure, but I can't think of a situation bad enough (or a need strong enough) to get rid of your hero. Aside from her being at the end of her life (which shouldn't happen anyway), I too have made the mistake of underestimating the value of heroes to the game of Wc3. It's immense.

That being said, I had an idea. You need a summon, you "need" (want) to remove the hero from the equation for a time, but you (perhaps should) want her back. Simply use a modified version of the Pandaren Brewmaster's Storm, Earth, and Fire.
The primary 'thing' summoned by this ability would be your "crazy-blood-god-snake-avatar" creature. No changes there. Then, you'd make only one more thing summoned: in essence, a 'dummy caster' (a nonselectable, non-killable, Locust-having shadowless model-less unit).

What happens is, with the PB's SEF, the player can manipulate any number of summoned units separately for the duration of the summon. As long as just one of the summoned units is still alive at the end of the duration, they all disappear and the hero is re-constructed.
For you, that means it basically just "removes" the hero and "replaces" it with your blood-snake-god, rampaging all over Creation... This guy can go absolutely biz-onkers, even get himself slain, because at the end of the timer, you still have your (unselectable, un-killable) "dummy caster" alive, so your hero is resurrected.

Also, it's a reasonably creative application of an existing ability (something not done enough, considering the number of unused & under-used abilities in the MPQ, in my opinion. :p). Anyway, just a suggestion.

I like this idea a lot, and if I have time before the deadline I will implement it. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that's going to happen -- I'm going to be out of the house until close to midnight GMT (7pm where I am), which is the deadline.

Thanks for the suggestion though! Wish I'd gotten it sooner.

Level 4
Last potst before the final submissinon.
I just need to finish the aesthetics.

Question: The deadline is GMT 23:59? (Because 23:59 UTM is written in the first post.)

Attachments

• Hero Contest #6.w3x
    433.2 KB · Views: 93
Level 20
Here's my final entry:

Model:
  • Peregrin Falcon by olofmoleman
Systems:
  • TimerUtils, xebasic, dummy model and SimError by Vexorian
  • GroupUtils, UnitStatus and TerrainPathability by Rising_Dusk
  • RegisterPlayerUnitEvent by Magtheridon96
  • Table and RegisterSpellEffectEvent by Bribe
  • AutoIndex by grim001
  • Vector by Anitarf
EDIT: Since the deadline was extended, I did some balance changes.
EDIT: Added map title.

Attachments

• Hero Contest #6 (Garfield1337).w3x
    357.3 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Level 30
Here is my final entry.

Serengale, The Holy Paladin

BTNArthas.gif

pasauraoflight.jpg

Cleansing Presence

Passive: The Holy Paladin has a cleansing aura about him. Nearby allies will be healed per second and nearby enemies will be damaged per second.
The effects of Purging Bolt and Penance will be amplified on units that are affected by this aura.
Area of effect: 450.

Level 1: 2HP/s heal and damage; 15% amplification
Level 2: 3HP/s heal and damage; 20% amplification
Level 3: 4HP/s heal and damage; 25% amplification

btnsoothingbolt.jpg

Purging Bolt
Active: The Holy Paladin conjures a bolt of holy energy and sends it to an allied or enemy unit.
If the target is an ally it will be healed and receive a damage and armour bonus.
If the target is an enemy, it will be damaged and have its attack damage and armour reduced.
The bolt bounces to nearby alllies of the target, applying the same effect.

Level 1: 80HP heal/damage; 15% damage and 2 armour bonus/penalty; 4 bounces
Level 2: 160HP heal/damage; 25% damage and 3 armour bonus/penalty; 7 bounces
Level 3: 240HP heal/damage; 35% damage and 4 armour bonus/penalty; 10 bounces

Cooldown: 7 seconds.

holybolt.gif

Penance
Active: The Holy Paladin channels a surge of energy and spreads it to all nearby units.
If it is an ally it will be healed and if it is an enemy it will be damaged.

Level 1: 50HP heal; 75 damage
Level 2: 100HP heal; 150 damage
Level 3: 150HP heal; 225 damage

Cooldown: 13 seconds.

btnorboflight.jpg

DIVINE FIELD
Active: The Holy Paladin creates a field of holy energy at the target area.
Enemies that enter the field have their attack speed reduced by 25% and their attack speed reduced by 50%.
The Holy Paladin also gains 10 bonus attack damage depending on how many units are in the field.
Field lasts for 10 seconds.

Cooldown: 45 seconds.

Models:
- Norinrad: Runical Aura
- Champara Bros: Penance
- JetFangInferno: Holy Aurora
- Vexorian: Dummy

Icons:
All icons (except that used by Penance) were obtained with Google Images.
Used Button Manager (by Shadow Daemon) to convert them to .blp.

Map: View attachment 120080

Well-made hero! I like it.. the skill and everything! Wishing you a good luck!:thumbs_up:

Level 4
Final Entry

Wyronus, the Lieutenant of the Green Dragonflight
BTNGreenDragonSpawn.png
icons_8431_btn.jpg
Energy Thirst:
Strikes a target and other enemies near it. Dealing damage and stealing energy. The secondary targets take two times more damage, however the primary target looses two times more energy.
sleep.gif
Sleep:
Puts a target enemy unit to sleep. A sleeping unit can be awoken by attacking it. The caster can take advantage of the target's weakness to deal additional damage.
icons_12236_btn.jpg
Might of Ysera:
Wyronus is bound to the Emerald Dream and is under the protection of Ysera. Increases physical protection. With the help of Ysera, Wyronus is able to utilize the magical energy called mana. Also increases the manapool with every level.
spiritofvengeance.gif
Eternal Nightmare:
Forces the nearby enemies into the Emerald Dream. Tires them until they fall asleep. While sleeping, they have terrible nightmares. Causing damage in their mind.
Other things to know
-The mana of Wyronus is degenerating at the rate of 250% of normal regen.
-The Hero can be revived in the Altar
-Pressing ESC will fill up your mana and health and refreshes all cooldowns.
Thanks for alfredx_sotn for the model.
Thanks for -Berz- and StaberFire for the icons.
And of course thank you for playing it.

Attachments

• Hero Contest #6 - WerePhoenix.w3x
    451.7 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Level 23
uhh Radamantus? why is your hero level 25? the hero is supposed to be balanced to wc3 heroes.... or am I wrong?

but I do remember this.. maybe I misread it
Your city is under attack by the Burning Legion! Knowing the story of the Burning Legion and the abilities of its high grade commanders, create a hero that will help with the defenses of your city!

The hero must have a total of 4 skills. You can use any combination, all passive, all active, three active and one passive, anything, as long as it offers a creative approach to the play style. However, the three of them must be regular, while one of them must be an ultimate, gained at level 6, just like default Warcraft III.

uhh Radamantus? why is your hero level 25? the hero is supposed to be balanced to wc3 heroes.... or am I wrong?

but I do remember this.. maybe I misread it

Pharaoh didnt say that levels must be in this number that number whatsoever.

At least,my ultimate is gained in Level 6.and i have four heroes/

I just created my hero just like dota.

Level 25
Heroes are judged base on original wc3 heroes, not dota ones.
Having your hero level 25 will make the judging harder, not to mention lose points on balance because original wc3 heroes have no skill points to put past level 10 even if the max level is 25.
The heroes have to fit normal WC3 maps, as in skirmish maps not mods.

Just bring it down to 10, it's really not that hard.

Level 33
Naah, now caught up with assignments =,="
Too boring, that's I browsed THW.

I won't make it in time, I wish to all participants a good luck from me :)

Wish to join the next contest !

But I'll release my Hero to the Spell Resources (what a waste if I just keep it, right ? Hah)

Level 4
Thank you defskull! Is "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" a TV-show? Because i don't watch too much TV. :3

I polished the post and the entry.
See you, fellow competitors and spectators at the poll! Good Luck everyone.

Level 10
Final update.

Troll Death Speaker - AGI (summoner/healer)
Preview:

attachment.php

Backstory:
These dark priestesses have come forth from the shadowy jungle cities of the trolls to join in the fight against the Burning Legion. Masters of life and death, the Death Speakers straddle the boundary between this world and the next.

While some frown upon their use of necromancy, the Death Speakers know that the time for squeamishness is past. Whether drawing strength from the enemies they slay or raising fallen allies outright from the dead, they employ any means necessary in order to ensure their people's survival.

Still, rumors abound that the priestesses are not all they seem, and that some dark bargain has been struck in order to grant them their uncanny powers...

Abilities:

BTNTrollBatRider.png

Summon Bats
The Death Speaker summons 2 Bat Minions to aid her for 60 seconds.
If you've learned Blood Runes, Bats have a chance to drop healing runes when they die.
Level 1 - Summons 2 Vampire Bats with 200 HP / 11-12 damage / life steal attack.
Level 2 - Summons 2 Shadow Bats with 300 HP / 16-17 damage / Evasion.
Level 3 - Summons 2 Killer Bats with 400 HP / 21-22 damage / Rend ability.

bloodlust.gif

Blood Runes - autocast
Curses a target enemy with Blood Runes, reducing its movement and attack speeds by 25%
and causing it to take damage over time.
If the target dies while under the effect of Blood Runes, it will drop a rune that heals nearby friendly units.
Level 1 - Deals 150 damage over 30 seconds. Runes heal 75 damage.
Level 2 - Deals 300 damage over 30 seconds. Runes heal 150 damage.
Level 3 - Deals 450 damage over 30 seconds. Runes heal 225 damage.

BTNForestTrollShadowPriest.png

Revive Troll - no target
Raises a nearby troll corpse from the dead.
Level 1 - Troll revives with 50% of its hit points. 30 second cooldown.
Level 2 - Troll revives with 80% of its hit points. 25 second cooldown.
Level 3 - Troll revives with 100% of its hit points. 20 second cooldown.

Ultimate: Death Bond
Banishes the Death Speaker to the realm of death, summoning a creature of unfathomable power and chaos in her place.
The creature will vanish and the Death Speaker will return after 30 seconds.

[tr][TD]
Blood Viper - ultimate summon
[/TD][/tr][tr][td]
The Blood Viper is a massively powerful avatar of dark magic.

Blood Viper Abilities:

BTNRegenerationAura.png

Dark Aura - passive
Deals 25 damage to nearby enemies every second.

BTNVampiricAura.png

Blood Pact - passive
Heals 25 hit points to the Blood Viper and all nearby allies every time the Blood Viper is struck in combat.
Occurs no more than once every second.

BTNGenericSpellImmunity.png

Spell Immunity - passive
The Blood Viper is immune to spells.
[/td][/tr]

[tr][TD]
Credits:
[/TD][/tr][tr][td]

Hero model by Tarrasque
Hero icons by CRAZYRUSSIAN
Bat model by GreyArchon
Blood Viper model by -Grendel
Blood Viper icons by Parrothead
[/td][/tr]

Attachments

• Troll Lake - Death Speaker test.w3x
    446.8 KB · Views: 361
Here's my final entry + Work

workvq.jpg

Neltharion the Earthwarder fought alongside the Night Elves along with the 4 Dragon Aspects during the war of the ancients to test the powers of the mighty Dragon Soul he crafted, not only did it slay entire armies of the Legion, but also did it annihilate Neltharion's allies, causing him to transform into a horrifying entity known as Deathwing the Destroyer/Aspect of Death
_______
Terraining: By Blood Raven
Models: Kwaliti,Mc !
Icons: I3lackdeath, 67chrome

icons_15180_btn.jpg

Deathwing - Aspect of Death

Searing Flames: Breathes a cone of fire infront of Deathwing causing Fire Damage.
Worldbreaker: Shatters the world, causing Lava Elementals to spawn and explode upon getting close to an enemy unit
Molten Arnaments: The enhanced molten armor on Deathwing deals fiery damage to any that attacks him in melee
Pandemonium: Deathwing calls upon the might of the old gods, causing the heavens to rain waves of molten fire which burns all enemies for a great deal of damage!

Attachments

• HC#6 Deathwing The Aspect of Death.w3x
    849.6 KB · Views: 119
Status
Not open for further replies.