• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Special Effect Contest #3 - Light and Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 28
Here's my last SFX. I call it Sin.
SinPreview.jpg

I just have to add sounds to those who have none and then I'm ready to upload them all.

EDIT: Just read the rules. :crazz:
I'll only upload Curse, Bless, WarpHoly(Caster and Target), WarpDark(Caster and Target) and Sin.

Last edited:
Level 19
Let's see if I can pull up some effects in this competition.

I've made this one so far.

attachment.php

I was thinking that it could be used as some kind of a little retribution spell or something similar.

Looks nice! Nice idea with that cross. However I would add more light!:p

Level 28
So this is prolly my final submission with a few potential updates.
All of these aren't working properly in magos (only Curse is) so to avoid confusion worse reviews due to the magos bugs, I'm sending along a little test map where you can test the SFX. Cause they all work fine in game (at least my game).
Test map: View attachment SFXContestTestMap.w3x

I know from experience that some people are too lazy to see how they work in-game and just review them in magos so by doing this I hopefully eliminate any excuse to not test them properly.

Note now that this map isn't made for actuall playing or other entertainment so don't come whining about terrain being bad or one side beeing imba cause you can test the effects anyway. :crazz:

On the bright side (of life):
Bless - most properly used as a positive buff spell, cast on allied units
WarpHoly - a sacred replacement for the Blink effects (proper time settings are made in the test map, check the duration of the blink spells)

On the dark side (of the force):
Curse - could simply replace the original curse if you feel like it but can also be used for any other negative buff
WarpDark - same as the holy one but with other looks

And somewhere in between (no stupid comment):
Sin - in the test map I gave it to the Undeads, with the discription that a sin was forced upon the target. It's supposed to symbolize how the sacred purity is ruined by this unholy act. How this effect is used is all up to the interpretation and imagination of the user. If you ask me it could fit to both holy and unholy units.

EDIT: I recently agreed with myself that I should not billboard ribbons. I don't know why I have, maybe I thought it would look better but it appeared to have the opposite effect. The holy warps have been edited aswell as the ones in the test map.

Attachments

• Bless.mdx
    10.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Curse.mdx
    15.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Sin.mdx
    14 KB · Views: 152
  • WarpDarkCaster.mdx
    6.8 KB · Views: 138
  • WarpDarkTarget.mdx
    5.8 KB · Views: 83
  • WarpHolyCaster.mdx
    6 KB · Views: 100
  • WarpHolyTarget.mdx
    6.1 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Level 10
I'm join for fun ,now I have 3 model,2 Dark and 1 Light:grin:
Dark: Shadow Ball
Hell Hole
Light: Angel Swords

Attachments

• Ball.jpg
    Ball.jpg
    622.8 KB · Views: 105
  • Swords.jpg
    Swords.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Hole2.jpg
    Hole2.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 90
  • Hell Hole(Dark).rar
    2.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Angel Sword(Light).rar
    7.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Shadow Ball(Dark).rar
    11 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Level 10
Try to think, you guy. This Red circle is the range of attract effect but the Black Hole thing is the real Aoe Damage not the red circle, and in game even red circle is 500 range not 1326,if red circle is smaller then Hole attracted range is smaller than a tiny black hole, try this map you 'll see

Attachments

• Hell Hole in Game.w3x
    20.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Shadow Ball in Game.w3x
    29.2 KB · Views: 48
  • AngelSwords in Game.w3x
    27.2 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Level 10
Hell Hole : Three Particle Emitter 2
The First- Emission rate 2: 250
Speed :360
Gravity: 210
The Second- Emission rate 2: 200
Speed :0
Gravity: 0
The Third- Emission rate 2: 200
Speed :0
Angel Swords: One Ribbon and One Particle Emitter 2
The Ribbon- Emission rate: 40
The Particle Emitter 2 - Emission rate: 250
Speed :-10
Latitude: 180
Look at there, i dont see any thing look like the number 1326, then What exactly the number 1326 is???

Level 7
how does particle count effect in-game results? just a worthless question, trying to model but can't seem to get it right.

Level 14
My Entry, Includes :

3 Dark
-------------------------
- Dark Shield
- Dark Shield Aura
- Dark Heal

● 3 Light
-------------------------
- Blessed Sword
- Holy Blessing
- Heal

============================
Click Here to Download
============================

You can download from attachment if you want to...
And there is a Screenshot on the attachment...

Attachments

• SFX Contest #3 s4nji.rar
    5.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Scrnshot.PNG
    Scrnshot.PNG
    220.4 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Level 10
More SFX from me, by the way i already fix particle count in my old SFX too.Here are:
Dark: Hell Roots (Entangling Roots Buff)
Hell Hole (Effect) -old SFX
Shadow Ball (Effect) -old SFX
Light: Falling Light (Effect)
Angel Swords (Effect) -old SFX

Attachments

• Root.jpg
    Root.jpg
    683.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Light.jpg
    Light.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Level 28
Because there aren't very many entries

There are four atm and there will probably be one more from DvO before the deadline.

Personally I don't like extensions.
I think it should be in every contestants interest to finish before the original deadline. And if they join shortly before the deadline they should know that they'll have to work harder to make it in time.
It feels pretty rotten when you join in time and post your contribution before the deadline, only to see that it's extended so that someone who joined a week before the deadline can have time to finish.

Level 14
You can't just add 2-3 weeks to a deadline and hope for more entries, you only do extensions of like 1 week for people who are already working on their stuff to finish up. You might as well just be milking the community for entries at this point. Just extend for like a week for DvO and that other dude, then close it.

Also, contests existing should depend on the number of completed entries for previous contests of the same type. If only a few people enter special effects contests, then it is obvious that in the future the contest isn't really worth existing, since it'll just feed the same people rep over and over and over again. It's okay if something isn't popular, really; if the community truly wanted this kind of contest, there'd be more entries by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.