• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War of the Ring: Skirmish

War of the Ring - Skirmish

This is an attempt of recreation of Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring (2003) in Warcraft 3. It's a Melee type of a map, build up your camp and crush the enemy. This map has a custom AI.

Good Forces
The alliance of humans, elves, dwarves, hobbits, beornings and huorns. Have strong and expensive infantry, tricky elven archers, that might remain hidden even during the attack, and slow but stout Huorns - ancestors of the Ents.

Evil Forces
The gathering of goblins, orcs, uruk-hai, giant spiders, men of Harad, trolls and Nazgul. Have a weak but cheap infantry, cunning Harad slayers, that also might remain hidden even during the attack, sly spider that can paralyze it's victims, monstrous trolls that crushing everything on theis way and dreadful Nazgul.

Since this map has only two factions instead of Warcraft's 4, I made it by this scheme:
  • Human, Night elf - Good Forces (Free Peoples)
  • Horde, Undead - Evil Forces (Minions of Sauron)

Credits
Huge Thanks to HerrDave for his astonishing assets!
Thanks to Dinodin for abilities fixes
Thanks for an additional content to:

Updates:

v. 1.1
- Remade Flaming Shield for Gandalf

- Remade Siege Aura
- Added Far Harad map

- Couple of minor fixes
-
Remade Elven Speed

- Remade Flaming Shield

Keywords: Lotr, lord, of, the, rings, war, ring, skirmish, melee, wotr, upbourn, ai, hobbit, harad
Contents

War of the Ring: Far Harad (Map)

War of the Ring: Upbourn (Map)

Reviews
deepstrasz
Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed as this is more of a graphics thing than an actual conversion. It's pretty much Warcraft III spells and gameplay mechanics. Approved. If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange...
Level 35
A very enjoyable map, used to play War of the Ring when it first came out and have a great deal of love for it.

It was interesting seeing a lot of the campaign-only units and heroes being included, too.

I can't quite remember the original lineup, but was the Goblin Slaver only available for training at Goblin Hovels in the original War of the Ring? I also remember they used to use some sort of Blight mechanic, but for some reason Blight is not used for the Evil faction here.

I am also curious to know if we will be seeing Balrog or Shelob as playable assets for the Evil side at some point.

This has been very enjoyable for now, though, and I look forward to seeing what future updates may provide :D

Level 6
A very enjoyable map, used to play War of the Ring when it first came out and have a great deal of love for it.

It was interesting seeing a lot of the campaign-only units and heroes being included, too.

I can't quite remember the original lineup, but was the Goblin Slaver only available for training at Goblin Hovels in the original War of the Ring? I also remember they used to use some sort of Blight mechanic, but for some reason Blight is not used for the Evil faction here.

I am also curious to know if we will be seeing Balrog or Shelob as playable assets for the Evil side at some point.

This has been very enjoyable for now, though, and I look forward to seeing what future updates may provide :D
Thanks! 😁
In the original War of the Ring Goblin Hovel could train all 3 goblin units (Slave, Spearmen, Slavemaster) different here because of technical problems. Also there was in plans to add Faramir and Giant Ent, but HerrDave hasn't made a models of them, so I'll wait until he decide to make them 😅
About Blight mechanic - welp, I tried...

About Balrog and Shelob - Actually I was thinking to make them as a map hazard, that will wander around and smack everyone they see, but might do some maps that will allow you to train them for huge cost :)

Yeah, there is in plans to make more of them, with different gamemodes(maybe)

Level 35
Thanks! 😁
In the original War of the Ring Goblin Hovel could train all 3 goblin units (Slave, Spearmen, Slavemaster) different here because of technical problems. Also there was in plans to add Faramir and Giant Ent, but HerrDave hasn't made a models of them, so I'll wait until he decide to make them 😅
About Blight mechanic - welp, I tried...

About Balrog and Shelob - Actually I was thinking to make them as a map hazard, that will wander around and smack everyone they see, but might do some maps that will allow you to train them for huge cost :)

Yeah, there is in plans to make more of them, with different gamemodes(maybe)
OH I totally remember the Goblin Hovel now xD
It's been far too long for me since I last played this game, I wish it was available for online purchase

Level 14
Thanks dude! :D
Could you tell me what is made not right in your opinion?
I think it would be cool if u add some knockback-effects to some abilties like Horn of Gondor, Invisible Force, True Shot for example. And for Gimli's "Siege Aura" you could just make a dummy aura and then use triggers to give all units with the "Siege Aura" buff the "Demolish" skill and remove it if the buff is gone. Gandalf's "Flame Shield" is also supposed to be placeable on friendly units so you could just make a dummy ability of the shamans "Lightning Shield" ability and then by triggers give the unit with the "Lightning Shield" buff a "Permanent Immolation" skill as long as it has the buff and then remove it when the buff is gone. Elven Lightbearer's "Protection" ability is supposed to absorb some amount of damage and I have an ability in one of my maps that works exactly like that.

Level 6
I think it would be cool if u add some knockback-effects to some abilties like Horn of Gondor, Invisible Force, True Shot for example. And for Gimli's "Siege Aura" you could just make a dummy aura and then use triggers to give all units with the "Siege Aura" buff the "Demolish" skill and remove it if the buff is gone. Gandalf's "Flame Shield" is also supposed to be placeable on friendly units so you could just make a dummy ability of the shamans "Lightning Shield" ability and then by triggers give the unit with the "Lightning Shield" buff a "Permanent Immolation" skill as long as it has the buff and then remove it when the buff is gone. Elven Lightbearer's "Protection" ability is supposed to absorb some amount of damage and I have an ability in one of my maps that works exactly like that.
I have a horrible flashbacks from making a knockback effect 😅
Good Idea with the Flame Shield, will fix it at some point
Can you show me how your Damage Absorb ability works?
About Siege Aura - I don't know how to do it, I tried

Level 14
I have a horrible flashbacks from making a knockback effect 😅
Good Idea with the Flame Shield, will fix it at some point
Can you show me how your Damage Absorb ability works?
About Siege Aura - I don't know how to do it, I tried
Well I have a good knockback system on my map that is easy to use.
The damage absorb ability works like it does on the War of the Ring game.
It's easy to make "Siege Aura" with triggers, just do like this but replace the "Magic Resistance" with "Demolish" skill instead.
  • Lorien Banner
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet Temp_Group = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and ((((Matching unit) has buff Lorien Banner ) Equal to True) or ((Level of Magic Resistance (Lorien Banner) for (Matching unit)) Greater than 0))))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Temp_Group and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • ((Picked unit) has buff Lorien Banner ) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Add Magic Resistance (Lorien Banner) to (Picked unit)
            • Else - Actions
              • Unit - Remove Magic Resistance (Lorien Banner) from (Picked unit)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_Temp_Group)

Level 6
Well I have a good knockback system on my map that is easy to use.
The damage absorb ability works like it does on the War of the Ring game.
It's easy to make "Siege Aura" with triggers, just do like this but replace the "Magic Resistance" with "Demolish" skill instead.
  • Lorien Banner
    • Events
      • Time - Every 1.00 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set VariableSet Temp_Group = (Units in (Playable map area) matching ((((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True) and ((((Matching unit) has buff Lorien Banner ) Equal to True) or ((Level of Magic Resistance (Lorien Banner) for (Matching unit)) Greater than 0))))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Temp_Group and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
            • If - Conditions
              • ((Picked unit) has buff Lorien Banner ) Equal to True
            • Then - Actions
              • Unit - Add Magic Resistance (Lorien Banner) to (Picked unit)
            • Else - Actions
              • Unit - Remove Magic Resistance (Lorien Banner) from (Picked unit)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_Temp_Group)
Are you sure it won't cause lag?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
A credits list in the map description with the names of the authors whose resources you've used is mandatory. That includes models, skins, icons, custom spells, systems. Also, sounds, music and everything outside this site.
This helps you with the models, skins and icons from Hiveworkshop:
You can also upload your map here to generate a list: Asset scanner

Awaiting Update.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

M A P - D E S C R I P T I O N
BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS
Description Guide - Melee Maps
Describing Your Melee Map
Melee Map Description Generator v1.3

MAPS IN GENERAL
The importance of a Description
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide
Map Description Making: Good & Bad
Map Description - Templates
Map Description Generator [1.2]

How to Add a Screenshot to your Map Description

ADDITIONAL NECESSARY INFORMATION
  • A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

M A P - C R E A T I O N - G U I D E S

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Alexen
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/staff-contact.692/

Level 29
Just wanted to say that this has inspired me. to dig out my old CD for WOTR, and play it again.
You don't have a version for 1.27b do you guys?
You mean the version required for playing the maps? Or the version of the map for Classic (before 1.32)?
Sadly, you can't because this map has HD models (only for Reforged). 1.33 seems to be unplayable right now because of bug.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed as this is more of a graphics thing than an actual conversion. It's pretty much Warcraft III spells and gameplay mechanics.

Approved.

If you want more reviews, you should participate in the The Grand Review Exchange!

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS

MAPS IN GENERAL
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide

• A credits list in the map thread description is required where the names of the resource (models, skins, icons, spells, sound etc.) authors are mentioned along with the specific resource. It would be a luxury to have links leading to the used resources. Credits in the Quest Log would be appreciated too.
  • A detailed changelog in the first post would be helpful to reviewers and notify fans about the newest implementations to your map.
  • Map thread tags are important. Please use those that fit and not more or none.

If you're not satisfied with the review and wish another opinion, contact the other reviewers or use the staff contact:
Alexen

Level 6
Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed as this is more of a graphics thing than an actual conversion. It's pretty much Warcraft III spells and gameplay mechanics.

Approved.

R U L E S

Site Rules
Map Submission Rules

BB CODES
BB Codes | HIVE

MELEE MAPS

MAPS IN GENERAL
Description Guide - Maps
Map Thread Guide

Alexen
That's a recreation of Warcraft's clone, so of course it will be very similar to Warcraft. I don't know what else did you expected 😅
There is a custom spells
Also how can gameplay mechanic be much different if it's an altered melee map?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Also how can gameplay mechanic be much different if it's an altered melee map?
It can. For instance there was a map in War of the Ring where you could take control of a catapult or something that you could use to throw projectiles over your enemy from a far distance.
The custom spells are just Warcraft III ones, not really custom as in scripted or considerably different.

Level 6
It can. For instance there was a map in War of the Ring where you could take control of a catapult or something that you could use to throw projectiles over your enemy from a far distance.
The custom spells are just Warcraft III ones, not really custom as in scripted or considerably different.
The maps with Catapult gamemode is actually planned.
Most of War of the Ring spells are identical to Warcraft's so...
The rest of them I'll probably remake in the future

Level 25
These are real high quality maps because of the great the custom resources and terrain. The maps really look awesome and the models do, too. I have no idea about "Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring (2003)" only played "The Battle for Middle-earth", so I will review this as a regular Warcraft III player. If anything is intended because it is a remake I am sorry because I don't know the original game.

Played the map War of the Ring: Upbourn as Free People vs AI Free People:

• "Not enough lumber" text should be changed to "Not enough Ore" (Gameplay Interface). Actually, it would also require a custom sound. I played with a Night Elf UI since I selected random race. Not sure if it has any influence but it played Night Elf music and had the Night Elf UI.
  • The same for "Our goldmine is running low" etc. It would be awesome to have a custom sound set for these events and adapted game interface texts.
  • Maybe add to the map description how you choose which of the races you will play in the lobby. Somehow I was player blue and the enemy player red and we both had the race of free people.
  • The tooltip of workers has a spelling mistake "Workers gather resourses" or something.
  • Having two resources food is a bit confusing. Maybe name the last one "supply" or "population" or something else?
  • Are Ore Piles unlimited? I can't see a value. They could also be marked with some neutral building marker on the map or something. If the amount depends on the hit points, you can enable showing the hitpoints and make it not invulnerable or something but maybe it is unlimited.
  • Rohan Riders cause Siege damage. Is this intended?
  • It would be cool to be able to upgrade your Human workers into Dwarves or Elves since they make no sense at Tier 3 and I don't want to sacrifice them.
  • The trees look awesome but transparency would be nice if units are nearby.
  • Knockback ability in Ballista Towers, Siege Aura from Gimli and many other abilities should use a passive icon version.
  • Wulfhelm's icon position is too far on the right since there will be the cancel button when training units.
  • Theoden has no hero abilities and Erkenbrand only 1 which can be skilled at level 2. Not sure how the hero abilities should work. They have no "Learn level X" tooltip. Is each ability restricted to a certain hero level or is all still work in progress?
  • Not sure if there should be a hero limit. I can have really many heroes to level. There aren't even enough hero icons on the left side. Not saying it is a bad thing but I am not sure about balancing.
  • Why no creep camps? Only the desert map has creeps but not like wc3 maps. Creeping might help to level the heroes.
  • No shops and no items?
  • Air units would be nice like eagles.
  • I think some Elven Ranger unit can shoot while being invisible which is a bit unfair? I think Rangers can detect them though.
  • I destroyed the whole bases on the map and AI did was not defeated. Usually there should be some timer for them to build another base?
  • Ranger's Outpost is the same model as Camp with a slightly different color. I would move the units from there to another building and add an Altar/Shop building instead.
  • Is there some research to increase the gathered Ore?
  • The buildings research to improve their armor etc. has only 1 level?
  • Frodo is a hero but the other known hobbits are not?
  • Reviving all heroes in every building which trains heroes mixes up the hero icons a bit when they die. Maybe provide one single altar building with heroes.
  • Do the Dark Forces have no burrow/farm building?
  • Some Orc buildings still need custom models but I guess you know this.

Many things might be because it is a recreation of Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring (2003) which I don't know at all but I think some things could be adapted to fit the Warcraft III game. I think with creep camps, items, shops, normal hero abilities and an altar building for ALL heroes it would be less confusing for Warcraft III players. If you have too many buildings to allow a slot for a shop and altar building maybe let the Dwarf and Elf workers build different buildings.

Level 6
These are real high quality maps because of the great the custom resources and terrain. The maps really look awesome and the models do, too. I have no idea about "Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring (2003)" only played "The Battle for Middle-earth", so I will review this as a regular Warcraft III player. If anything is intended because it is a remake I am sorry because I don't know the original game.

Played the map War of the Ring: Upbourn as Free People vs AI Free People:

• "Not enough lumber" text should be changed to "Not enough Ore" (Gameplay Interface). Actually, it would also require a custom sound. I played with a Night Elf UI since I selected random race. Not sure if it has any influence but it played Night Elf music and had the Night Elf UI.
  • The same for "Our goldmine is running low" etc. It would be awesome to have a custom sound set for these events and adapted game interface texts.
  • Maybe add to the map description how you choose which of the races you will play in the lobby. Somehow I was player blue and the enemy player red and we both had the race of free people.
  • The tooltip of workers has a spelling mistake "Workers gather resourses" or something.
  • Having two resources food is a bit confusing. Maybe name the last one "supply" or "population" or something else?
  • Are Ore Piles unlimited? I can't see a value. They could also be marked with some neutral building marker on the map or something. If the amount depends on the hit points, you can enable showing the hitpoints and make it not invulnerable or something but maybe it is unlimited.
  • Rohan Riders cause Siege damage. Is this intended?
  • It would be cool to be able to upgrade your Human workers into Dwarves or Elves since they make no sense at Tier 3 and I don't want to sacrifice them.
  • The trees look awesome but transparency would be nice if units are nearby.
  • Knockback ability in Ballista Towers, Siege Aura from Gimli and many other abilities should use a passive icon version.
  • Wulfhelm's icon position is too far on the right since there will be the cancel button when training units.
  • Theoden has no hero abilities and Erkenbrand only 1 which can be skilled at level 2. Not sure how the hero abilities should work. They have no "Learn level X" tooltip. Is each ability restricted to a certain hero level or is all still work in progress?
  • Not sure if there should be a hero limit. I can have really many heroes to level. There aren't even enough hero icons on the left side. Not saying it is a bad thing but I am not sure about balancing.
  • Why no creep camps? Only the desert map has creeps but not like wc3 maps. Creeping might help to level the heroes.
  • No shops and no items?
  • Air units would be nice like eagles.
  • I think some Elven Ranger unit can shoot while being invisible which is a bit unfair? I think Rangers can detect them though.
  • I destroyed the whole bases on the map and AI did was not defeated. Usually there should be some timer for them to build another base?
  • Ranger's Outpost is the same model as Camp with a slightly different color. I would move the units from there to another building and add an Altar/Shop building instead.
  • Is there some research to increase the gathered Ore?
  • The buildings research to improve their armor etc. has only 1 level?
  • Frodo is a hero but the other known hobbits are not?
  • Reviving all heroes in every building which trains heroes mixes up the hero icons a bit when they die. Maybe provide one single altar building with heroes.
  • Do the Dark Forces have no burrow/farm building?
  • Some Orc buildings still need custom models but I guess you know this.

Many things might be because it is a recreation of Lord of the Rings: War of the Ring (2003) which I don't know at all but I think some things could be adapted to fit the Warcraft III game. I think with creep camps, items, shops, normal hero abilities and an altar building for ALL heroes it would be less confusing for Warcraft III players. If you have too many buildings to allow a slot for a shop and altar building maybe let the Dwarf and Elf workers build different buildings.
Thanks! Glad you liked it! :peasant-victory:
You don't know the definition of laziness aren't you? ._.
  • The UI mistakes I'll fix in the future
  • I don't know how to extract the sounds from the original game. HerrDave does
  • You can enable showing hp for Destructibles?
  • Yeah, Rohan Riders cause Siege damage. It is intended
  • Dwarf and Elf workers are added just for shits and giggles, just because they were a Campaign variant of workers
  • There is no passive icon for a Knockback
  • Theoden, Erkenbrand and Wulfhelm is a Campaign heroes and they don't have much spells (Most of the units are from Campaign and were unavailable in Skirmish maps, so I thought it would be nice to include them, even though they're almost useless)
  • In the original game there wasn't any hero limit
  • Also there wasn't any creeps at all. Probably will add some in the future maps
  • I'm not sure about items, don't really want to stray from the original, but maybe I will in some of maps
  • There was no air units, but maybe in some particular maps
  • Hitting from invisibility is not unfair, it's a mechanic from the original game, you need a Detector units to counter that
  • I'll work on winning conditions
  • Yes, Frodo is the only Hero hobbit, questions? (like in original)
  • Dark Forces has Slavemasters as farm
  • About models: HerrDave is the author, I can't go and kick him saying: MAEK MODELS, so I don't know when he'll finish them all (I grew a beard waiting)

Level 25
I thought there was an option to show hp for destructables but maybe it was only to allow the selection. In this case maybe floating texts would help or adding the amount to the destructable name or a custom UI field which is only shown when you select an Ore Mine.

About Frodo and Slavemasters: This is just fine. I did not know how the original game is and did not see that Slavemasters is the farm.

Level 6
I thought there was an option to show hp for destructables but maybe it was only to allow the selection. In this case maybe floating texts would help or adding the amount to the destructable name or a custom UI field which is only shown when you select an Ore Mine.

About Frodo and Slavemasters: This is just fine. I did not know how the original game is and did not see that Slavemasters is the farm.
I'll see what I can do

not sure if you're still working on this map, but man was this a throwback!

it's very good looking and light fun to play, but I have a few notes from my game as Evil:
  • i found myself with excess Food and low Ore most of the time. i think each starting location should having multiple Ores (like minerals in sc2), and a "mill" building to deposit Ore wouldn't hurt e.g. "mining camp"
  • the hotkeys seem all jumbled? they don't correspond to button positions at all (played on patch 1.36)
  • it's not very clear what units fulfil what role. i get that this might be because this is just a recreation of WoTR, but still it felt like there were basically melee units and ranged units, and apparently the latter counters the former since most of the melee units have Light armor and Unarmored. i feel like, even if it might stray from WoTR, you need to flesh out the different roles better. e.g. Trolls are tanky AF and take very little piercing damage, but lose to Goblin Spearmen, who lose to Orc slashers, who lose to orc bowmen etc. In the current state, the winning strat is just mass Orc Bowmen.
  • maybe this is just me being used to Wc3, but the Heros having unused skill points yet being locked out of learning a new skill was a bit annoying

Level 6
not sure if you're still working on this map, but man was this a throwback!

it's very good looking and light fun to play, but I have a few notes from my game as Evil:
  • i found myself with excess Food and low Ore most of the time. i think each starting location should having multiple Ores (like minerals in sc2), and a "mill" building to deposit Ore wouldn't hurt e.g. "mining camp"
  • the hotkeys seem all jumbled? they don't correspond to button positions at all (played on patch 1.36)
  • it's not very clear what units fulfil what role. i get that this might be because this is just a recreation of WoTR, but still it felt like there were basically melee units and ranged units, and apparently the latter counters the former since most of the melee units have Light armor and Unarmored. i feel like, even if it might stray from WoTR, you need to flesh out the different roles better. e.g. Trolls are tanky AF and take very little piercing damage, but lose to Goblin Spearmen, who lose to Orc slashers, who lose to orc bowmen etc. In the current state, the winning strat is just mass Orc Bowmen.
  • maybe this is just me being used to Wc3, but the Heros having unused skill points yet being locked out of learning a new skill was a bit annoying
Thanks! Yeah, I'll continue making them, eventually