1. The Melee Mapping Contest #4: 2v2 - Results are out! Step by to congratulate the winners!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're hosting the 15th Mini-Mapping Contest with YouTuber Abelhawk! The contestants are to create a custom map that uses the hidden content within Warcraft 3 or is inspired by any of the many secrets within the game.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The 20th iteration of the Terraining Contest is upon us! Join and create exquisite Water Structures for it.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice

WoW & Blizzard Game Resources

Discussion in 'Site Discussion' started by A Void, Jun 29, 2014.

?

Should there be a new complete resource section for Blizzard-related resources -War3?

1. Agree, we need a new resource section for all Blizzard-related resources into War3.

37.8%
  2. Disagree, I' think it should be as it is, users can still upload those resources in the Forums.

36.5%
  3. I don't have any opinion about this subject.

6.8%
  4. <Comment>

18.9%
  1. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    As a terrainer I wouldn't mind having a separate section for converted doodads from all
    the Blizzard games, it'd add more diversity to terraining and likely provide some few odd
    objects we never thought we needed. As a Moderator I'm uncertain of whether it's worth
    it or not, for one, there's always the morality issue, considering the fact that the separate
    doodads and models from WoW and other Blizzard games isn't directly owned by Blizzard but
    by the separate artists that made them. The second part of that argument is upload
    space, it's not like this site can support infinite amounts of uploads, unless it can?
    Anyway, if it can't, then I'd say it isn't worth it limiting the space for modders by adding
    converted models, and they know how to take up space.

However, should we decide to add such a feature to this site, then I agree with Solu9
    about the rep, and furthermore I'd move that any model uploaded should be changed
    from having been uploaded by that user to "Blizzard Entertainment." In that way no
    person could amass any personal gains for uploading "rips" other than the mere pleasure
    of knowing they did it and using the model in their project.

2. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    I'm with Keiji on this matter.
    Quite fair.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  3. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    We then come again to the point of being able to even use them, if it really is a matter of artists. Nothing in a project is literally ours, even the editor we are using is coded by someone else - should we not use it because this is coders' work? The thing is that we use them for such a naive purpose. In the case of StarCraft II for example, it is more questionable, given the rumor of being able to sell your map (frankly, I don't know if it's true and I don't care to search at the moment to make my point stronger).

There are multiple maps using the models already, some of them are surviving, others have died, with the shining example of Craka_J's WoW project. Even a project bearing the title wouldn't be a sufficient reason to port these models in WarCraft III, because we would then get to see a lot more projects exploiting the name in favor of the resources' usage.

I am in favor of the models and it will only give us more resources to work with, unless we like encouraging browsing other sites that we don't even allow linking to (since they usually support other games' rips).

4. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thing is, though, with Wc3, or Sc2 for that matter, the artists agreed to share their
    works for the sake of modding. Because they added world editors to those games and
    wanted such a community surrounding those games. They didn't with WoW.
    - Or, so I've heard.

Don't ask me to document these claims, because I can't. I merely remember having
    read it somewhere before. And besides that, it simply makes sense, so I can't see
    why it shouldn't be true.

5. Pharaoh_

Pharaoh_

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Allowance of using Blizzard models within Blizzard products was formally stated, right? Otherwise we replicate a false rumor. If so, we are automatically granted the privilege of using them despite the artists. After all, everything that is contained within the games is "registered under the trademarks of Blizzard Entertainment, bla bla" and both WoW and WarCraft III share the trademark and the name of the company. Thus, their work is bound to the company's policy and if the company's policy allows this, then everything's set.

6. JCarrill0

JCarrill0

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    EDIT: As for my take on this, I have seen some pretty terrible rips off trying to make something cool just because it had wow models. As for others, such as WoW: HR & Iceborn, where they put an incredible amount of time and effort re-mastering the model to perfect their own map idea is not only clever, but a keen eye of the creator.

I applaud creators such as Frank hand crafting each model, it takes their time and dedication! You are an inspiration to everyone who wishes they could create models.

PS - please remove rep limits. I can only give Heinvers & Solu9 so much after each thread.

I'm like +rep, Dang. Oh a good point, +rep, dang it! read a few more posts, OO +rep, GRRR!!!

7. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Every Artist in the Blizzard works for the Blizzard, everything they create for WoW is no longer under the ownership of them, it belongs to the game and the company. They have no authority to dissallow using Blizzard models when we clearly can see some spoofes already in Blizzard Games;
    There is a mini-Diablo mount from WoW in a single player SC2 mission, it had the same model of WoW mount. There are also plenty of SC2 Arcade games that contain ripp's from WoW, Diablo 3. But still, they are allowed and fully opened in the arcade. That means that you can use all resources under Blizzard in any of your map (War3). Icons, Textures, Models- they are all allowed. I wonder who created this silly idea that you cant in the first place.

8. Keiji

Keiji

Administrator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    That's called flawed logic, you can't assume we're allowed to rip models from WoW and
    use them for Wc3 simply because they convert their own models from game to game.

I'm not saying you're not right, I'm simply saying that your line of reasoning doesn't make
    sense.

Unless you've got a documented source to show for this, I call flawed logic again.
    While indeed these artists work for Blizzard and they have indeed granted Blizzard
    the rights to use their creations for their games, that doesn't mean we've been
    granted that same clemency. So, I've already stated I don't have sources to show
    for my claims and if you don't then we'll simply have to rely on common sense.
    - And as thus disagree.

No.

9. Heinvers

Heinvers

Arena Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Template:
    Resources:
    Proof please.

10. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I agree. However a flood of uploads does not need to be contained as rips will be in a sub section and will not affect genuine community creations in the Modelling Section.

11. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Can you please vote in the poll? I don't see your user-name anywhere.

12. tobyfat50

tobyfat50

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I find it ridiculous not to have a section for all Blizzard-related resources. It's a good thing for a game who reached its passing age and can only prolong its life by giving artists and nostalgiacs more freedom of expression.

13. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    In my opinion, simple edits and rips (especially those from war3 alpha a.k.a "warcraft with worse graphics") do nothing but clutter the database with useless shit. I don't think the people donating money for this sites server space would expect it to be spent on hosting the MPQ:s from Diablo 3, SC 2 and WoW just because some people want to feel like modelers without doing any modeling.

I am not the least bit concerned with warcrafts future, many games significantly older and uglier still have communities that are very much alive, such as Doom, Half Life 1, Battlezone, etc. Frankly i feel like the art style of both Diablo and WoW often clash with Warcraft 3, and the few WoW models that are useful are already in circulation and can be found all over the web. It also bugs me how you are trying to make this sound like some kind of public uproar when it really is controversial for most people here.

14. Footman16

Footman16

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well that says it all, if your more concerned with their vote in a very very flawed poll than their actual opinion.

15. Mythic

Mythic

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I saw in the main posts that you include HotS. if that game proves to be everything it is and has a map editor at the same time, modders will go over and we have no need to rip since it is the Modding Game we've been searching for all these years.

16. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    He commented earlier without voting, I just reminded that the point of this thread is to vote. And then share your opinion on why you voted. I'm sure this clears everything. :)

I couldn't agree more! :)

17. Cihparg

Cihparg

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Sincerely, due to the main post being a clusterfuck:

People that agreed: 10 + 2
    People that disagreed: 9 + 6
    Others: 1

Against: ((10+2)/(9+6))*100 80%
    For: 100 - (((10+2)/(9+6))*100) 20%

18. A Void

A Void

Resources:
    Models:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I'm very sorry it's not about advanced or any maths. Just see the numbers and the pro cents, they are very clear enough. I am not trying to confuse but you are a little off-topic.

19. APproject

APproject

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    In my opinion this kind of section is not necessary at all. There are other forums such as WcUnderground, Chaosrealm and Wc3-maps.ru that has a tremendous amount of good quality WoW resources. Personally I am satisfied with other forums having it, they are based on it and I doubt if Hiveworkshop would catch up such a forum as WcUnderground in WoW resources. Since WoW resources are really vast in size, it would only take space in the database and I am still sure that these models would dublicate in other forums once being ripped. The only minus, other forums has no search system which is annoying, but to my mind it is just it. Voting for disagreeing.

20. Fingolfin

Fingolfin

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Your math is off. You are basically saying that 15 votes is 80% while 12 votes is 20%. It should be 100*[votes for option]/[total votes], like this:

For:
    100*(10+2)/(10+2+9+6+1) = 43%

Against:
    100*(9+6)/(10+2+9+6+1) = 54%

Others:
    100*1/(10+2+9+6+1) = 3%