• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

WoW & Blizzard Game Resources

Should there be a new complete resource section for Blizzard-related resources -War3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
@Cake; that sounds great, but I think a dedicated "help-me" section which deals with teaching and allowing rip models (hands-on tutorials?) to be uploaded is better than allowing it to be submitted as a resource.

Clearly the solution is to just band together and make [edit: un-official not-for-profit] Warcraft 4. Then we'll all use Warcraft 4 assets and mod Warcraft 4 models. :)

(Edit: Not referring to any of the numerous Warcraft 3 mods with this name. Was visualizing a new engine everyone agrees upon, with updated stuff all around.)

Why so distant? Alone, I was able to create a 2D turn-based space warcraft where players designed their own techtrees before playing the game and then could bash them against each other, even over LAN. I've played it -- dreams can become real.
(www.spacegons.com)

Just think what could be accomplished by a group of people!

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
distant != impossible. we'd have to jump over a lot of hurdles to create a quality wc4 game - and all for non-profit, because blizzard wud sue our pants off if we monetized
Sure... Although the biggest hurdle(s), I think, are just the mere "buckling down" of ideas (made easier when you are all working for a single company, that's your job, you do nothing else, and you take direction from the design team); everyone trying to throw their own ideas in without any sort of guidance or direction, would be CHAOS.

It'd be fascinating Chaos, though. :p

I'm glad this thread is still active. I am at the moment not in my country, as some may noticed I have been offline, I will update the thread once I get back home.

Thank you for all your great opinions and ideas regardless of what actually they were- agreeing/ disagreeing. :)

Edit: Comments will still be counted as a yes/ no votes based on the actual comment that was written.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
(...) At times, I think: "ugh, people will just use them in the worst way possible and insert them randomly into their maps". That is true, but that already happens all the time. At other times, you'll have maps like AProject's, which use them creatively.
(...)
Without disregarding the rest of your post, this serves to clear up a frequent misconception: the service that the Hive provides is not concerned with controlling what users COULD decide to put in their maps—that is the authors' decisions. The Hive is here only to widen the choice of what users MAY put in their maps—and add a (volatile-tempered) social environment for people providing for that service and/or benefiting from it.

In our own map section, there are quality and rule standards, which also span imported material, but that is an entirely different discussion that is specific to the section and to each map, as we know. On that regard, the part of the post I quoted above accurately addresses the point. However, it is speculation to say that we would reject maps for having just a few of those ripped resources, or for having too many. In the end, it'll come down to a discussion of whether or not the map is of sufficient quality that we may tolerate the imports.

Allowance of using Blizzard models within Blizzard products was formally stated, right? (...)
No, as far as I know, it wasn't. I proposed the rule for permission to use assets from other games by Activision Blizzard because Blizzard largely ignores violations of the specific clause of the terms of use concerning this between their games.

Will keep reading later...

Without disregarding the rest of your post, this serves to clear up a frequent misconception: the service that the Hive provides is not concerned with controlling what users COULD decide to put in their maps—that is the authors' decisions. The Hive is here only to widen the choice of what users MAY put in their maps—and add a (volatile-tempered) social environment for people providing for that service and/or benefiting from it.

In our own map section, there are quality and rule standards, which also span imported material, but that is an entirely different discussion that is specific to the section and to each map, as we know. On that regard, the part of the post I quoted above accurately addresses the point. However, it is speculation to say that we would reject maps for having just a few of those ripped resources, or for having too many. In the end, it'll come down to a discussion of whether or not the map is of sufficient quality that we may tolerate the imports.

No, as far as I know, it wasn't. I proposed the rule for permission to use assets from other games by Activision Blizzard because Blizzard largely ignores violations of the specific clause of the terms of use concerning this between their games.

Will keep reading later...

So what could be the problem with adding a section of new resources from the same company? It would indeed widen the selection of resources.

Also, if the new section will indeed be added then it would have it's own moderation rules and moderators, concerning about the fact that the model would have to be correctly ripped. excluding optimization, team color, team glow, ripped resources have to remain purely ripped.

Edit: Local Files should also be a consideration for future map section uploads.

Level 21
Ripping without optimization is a bad idea imo. For instance, WoW models can visibly have the same quality without all those unusable animations.
Also, my experience so far states that WoW models work slightly differently. For instance, the attack animations don't have a backswing by default.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
My stance on this is:

• No to creating a section for unmodified, straight-from-the-original-game ripped material. Only Blizzard's would be allowed and, as mentioned, there are other websites already doing that.
  • Yes to allowing incorporation of parts of models or textures from game X in game Y (be Y Warcraft III or not).
  • Yes to permitting the submission of those models in our resource sections provided they've been optimized for the destination game: e.g. proper texture maps added to a SC2 model adapted from Wc3.
  • No to implementing a section for that purpose alone. Because models will be optimized for a specific game, a new category in the existing resource sections is enough.

Kyrbi0 brings up a good point about icons.
If icons from SC2, WoW, Diablo is allowed to be uploaded you might as well shut down the icon section altogether.
There are so many great icons in those games that you can find anything you would wish for there.
The need for user submitted icons will be next to zero.
I know we already have some WoW icons. But since they don't require any editing like models do, these will almost certainly make their way here really fast and in vast amounts.
- The icons of the games you mentioned cover all purposes? Every single one of them for certain?
- Because an icon fits a specific purpose, does that mean there are no more fitting icons for that purpose? Does it mean that no better icons could be created for that purpose?
- But I didn't want to part with these wonderful icons!

My stance on this is:

• No to creating a section for unmodified, straight-from-the-original-game ripped material. Only Blizzard's would be allowed and, as mentioned, there are other websites already doing that.
  • Yes to allowing incorporation of parts of models or textures from game X in game Y (be Y Warcraft III or not).
  • Yes to permitting the submission of those models in our resource sections provided they've been optimized for the destination game: e.g. proper texture maps added to a SC2 model adapted from Wc3.
  • No to implementing a section for that purpose alone. Because models will be optimized for a specific game, a new category in the existing resource sections dedicated to that game is enough.

- The icons of the games you mentioned cover all purposes? Every single one of them for certain?
- Because an icon fits a specific purpose, does that mean there are no better fitting icons for that purpose?
- But I didn't want to part with these wonderful icons!

Optimized or not-optimized, I guess it could be optimized and special rules and conditions for moderating a ripp in the new section. I guess it could be team colored, team glow (special units), optimized (useless animations). :)

Level 11
I vote no... on both accounts.

Just use sites like Warcraft Underground which have an active ripping community and plenty to choose from already.

It isn't quite as developed as Hive, but it wasn't meant to be when it was created.

Therefore I see no point as this site is a site for creating resources: models, skins, triggers, maps, icons and all sorts of warcraft compatible content.
Whether a modder decides to use a World of Warcraft model in there map then that is there choice, it is not the purpose of The Hive Workshop.

PS, I suggest making a poll which isn't fixed in future votes... and by that I mean add a completely disagree rather than both major votes being either 'I want it in this section on the site' or 'I want it in that section on the site'

I vote no... on both accounts.

Just use sites like Warcraft Underground which have an active ripping community and plenty to choose from already.

It isn't quite as developed as Hive, but it wasn't meant to be when it was created.

Therefore I see no point as this site is a site for creating resources: models, skins, triggers, maps, icons and all sorts of warcraft compatible content.
Whether a modder decides to use a World of Warcraft model in there map then that is there choice, it is not the purpose of The Hive Workshop.

PS, I suggest making a poll which isn't fixed in future votes... and by that I mean add a completely disagree rather than both major votes being either 'I want it in this section on the site' or 'I want it in that section on the site'

And what is your actual point? It will after all be a new section, if you don't need the section then simply don't enter it. It will bring new additions and bonus content to choose from to community. Blizzard Resources is an excellent idea if it is progressed correctly. War3 Underground is mostly in-active, less and less people comment there. There is no moderation or any certain rules about how the ripp-offs should be executed in conversion.

Level 51
The point is, the hive is no ripping site and will never be. It was ought to be a place for the serious wc3-modders publishing THEIR work.

And you talk if it was so easy. Find new moderators and stuff. Nobody wants to deal with a flood of poorly ripped wow models. But wait! What could be different from the currenr section? The people, mostly new, will see their chance and think: hey, wow models. I have plenty of them, going to upload them and gather some rep. There will be nearly no pressure to perform. Indeed, sometimes this is also the case in the current modelling section. But people have a reputation there already and most of the people work on THEIR models first before uploading them, knowing that they have to be "good". Get my point?

The point is, the hive is no ripping site and will never be. It was ought to be a place for the serious wc3-modders publishing THEIR work.

And you talk if it was so easy. Find new moderators and stuff. Nobody wants to deal with a flood of poorly ripped wow models. But wait! What could be different from the currenr section? The people, mostly new, will see their chance and think: hey, wow models. I have plenty of them, going to upload them and gather some rep. There will be nearly no pressure to perform. Indeed, sometimes this is also the case in the current modelling section. But people have a reputation there already and most of the people work on THEIR models first before uploading them, knowing that they have to be "good". Get my point?

Nobody wants to deal with a flood of poorly ripped wow models? They wont be poorly ripped, there will be certain rules of ripping them. Moderators are not so hard to find, I can already see some senior users that would love to be a moderator. Anyway, everyone has a different opinion, thats why the voting poll is above. :)

Level 11
Nobody wants to deal with a flood of poorly ripped wow models? They wont be poorly ripped, there will be certain rules of ripping them. Moderators are not so hard to find, I can already see some senior users that would love to be a moderator. Anyway, everyone has a different opinion, thats why the voting poll is above. :)

And everyone knows the rules to the letter?

There are of course going to be some people who just upload some rips that are poorly ripped, by them or not. So there will still be a flood of WoW Models to Deal with. Dealing with them still means, opening them, seeing if everything is correct etc...

That and as I stated earlier, this isn't a site with a collection of models taken from all around. This site is a place for artists to upload their own work.

And everyone knows the rules to the letter?

There are of course going to be some people who just upload some rips that are poorly ripped, by them or not. So there will still be a flood of WoW Models to Deal with. Dealing with them still means, opening them, seeing if everything is correct etc...

That and as I stated earlier, this isn't a site with a collection of models taken from all around. This site is a place for artists to upload their own work.

Yes they will still be able to show "the creativity" in the model gallery of non-ripped resources, as I mentioned that a new section there will be to not mix-in both galleries. About the moderation, none of us have to worry, you can just sit back and relax, the administration of THW will take care of everything.

Good luck in finding moderatos moderating 90% pieces of shit ^^

It's just against the sites "policy". It's reputation. The Hive was always a place where people knew: that's the type of site I get my qualitative ressources and not simple rips and shit.

Policy can be changed when needed, please stop with your nostalgia nonsense. You can put your creativity and resources in the actual section far away from the "Ripps Section". I don't understand why is it so hard to talk with you? When you simply ignore in what I am saying. -_-

Policy can be changed when needed, please stop with your nostalgia nonsense. You can put your creativity and resources in the actual section far away from the "Ripps Section". I don't understand why is it so hard to talk with you? When you simply ignore in what I am saying. -_-

He is allowed to have his opinion whether it's "nostalgic nonsense" or not to you.
I'm still curious why you are such a big spokesman for this new "fantastic" rip section. Well, obviously you have shown that rips and mpq material is your kind of thing, which have gotten you a somewhat rugged reputation.
But you stand to gain nothing with this new section since reputation will most likely be deactivated.
The only reason I am curious by your intentions in particular, is because of what you have shown so far. And by that it's not surprising that it was you who started this debate once again.

He is allowed to have his opinion whether it's "nostalgic nonsense" or not to you.
I'm still curious why you are such a big spokesman for this new "fantastic" rip section. Well, obviously you have shown that rips and mpq material is your kind of thing, which have gotten you a somewhat rugged reputation.
But you stand to gain nothing with this new section since reputation will most likely be deactivated.
The only reason I am curious by your intentions in particular, is because of what you have shown so far. And by that it's not surprising that it was you who started this debate once again.

I don't care about reputation, I can deactivate it anytime I wanted, so it changes nothing. My intention is exactly about Ripps and Blizzard Resources being uploaded in the model gallery for mapmakers to start using them effectively and rather easy. For example the new section would contain WoW models with added team color (material), and some other optimization. WoW doodads are also excellent choice in modding and terraining. My moto is the same as ever, a gallery for "Blizzard Resources" and "Simple Models aka Edits" for the community to start using.

Level 16
So checking back seems like the "no" is the winning tally so far, but I think I read somewhere that people who vote "I don't have any opinion about this subject." get voted as yes, which should not be counted as such imo as they are neutral.

So checking back seems like the "no" is the winning tally so far, but I think I read somewhere that people who vote "I don't have any opinion about this subject." get voted as yes, which should not be counted as such imo as they are neutral.

Your imagination I presume? I've said that the people who voted the <Comment> option in the poll will be counted as a yes/ no based vote. Those who voted on the : "I don't have any opinion about this subject" are neutral.

Level 22
If you truly did not want reputation, you could have uploaded all the alpha models you have in a pack and not one by one over months, also taking credit as an extractor.
I agree, this option is best for now while the suggestion is still being considered.

Level 30
If you truly did not want reputation, you could have uploaded all the alpha models you have in a pack and not one by one over months, also taking credit as an extractor.

I agree with this.

Anyway, as for my own vote, I think I'll have to vote for No. Hive is a place for good quality resources and etc as PROXY said (which you'll probably disagree again) and I think there are far many sites rather than Hive that holds many ripped resources. It's more than enough, easy as that for me.

If you are really persistent about rips though, let's just make a thread and post our ripped resources there, shall we and probably sticky if the staff would e (probably a bad idea but lets see. There would also be some rules adjustments if this is to happen though)? A new section... is just too much for ripped resources seeing that we are not highlighting or even encourage rips here as far as I know and it would really suck if we are

Last edited:
^Imo the 'No' poll option does not even say 'No'. It says that the users can upload rips to the forums.

Yes, ripps are allowed in the forums. The "no" option is perfect, if you wanted to express your opinion of "no" or "yes" in a different manner/ perspective then just select <Comment> option, thats why I added that option.

First Post:
I think it could be a great time to start allowing the uploading of Blizzard related resources in the sections: ex: Models, Skins and Icons in the resource gallery.
If rips are allowed in the forums right now, then why would anything have to be started, according to the first post? The poll question and the thread topic are not synonymous.

First Post:

If rips are allowed in the forums right now, then why would anything have to be started, according to the first post? The poll question and the thread topic are not synonymous.

Because models can't be uploaded in the model gallery? Isn't it obvious?

Important:
In case some of you want to ask questions regarding a detail, please look trough this thread and if you cant find it already asked or already told then, comment, because further stupid un-investigated questions will be ignored. It applies to stupid or illogical questions that make no sense when further investigated into them.

Level 16
Important:
In case some of you want to ask questions regarding a detail, please look trough this thread and if you cant find it already asked or already told then, comment, because further stupid un-investigated questions will be ignored. It applies to stupid or illogical questions that make no sense when further investigated into them.
Based on what? your own personal opinion?
“The Only Stupid Question is the One You Don’t Ask”

Because models can't be uploaded in the model gallery? Isn't it obvious?
->
[QUOTE='No' Option]Disagree, I' think it should be as it is, users can still upload those resources in the Forums.[/QUOTE]
Are you leading me in circles? Imo "forums" is a general word, which could be applied to galleries and the model section.

You might want to discipline your poll, it's going against you.

Level 16
->

Are you leading me in circles? Imo "forums" is a general word, which could be applied to galleries and the model section.

You might want to discipline your poll, it's going against you.
hmmm
Important:
Double Standards?

gorillabull said:
if you like wow models so much why dont you just go play wow i mean ud fit right in the general community

nubs...

I like most models that fit with the project/ map I am working on. WoW, War3, SC2 and any other models are all great contribute to the resources, you can choose to use between these resources. No, I don't play WoW anymore sadly, but I did play it long ago.

You are nubs?... Ok.

Last edited:
Level 16
You are nubs?... Ok.
Crap like this is going to get the thread closed.

Back on topic:
I myself still love wow, but I still like Warcraft 3 a well. I have seen some amazing things done with Old Wow, and new WoW models that make me fall in lone with the game all over again!

That doesn't mean I should leave Warcraft 3 behind and play WoW does it?

Status
Not open for further replies.